Palo Alto Super Regional: Texas @ Stanford

Horny Bull

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

To give you an idea, we once had a double-header everyday for 3 days for a tourney. I pitched a perfect game all 6 games. It was tough but the nightly bjs from the top 3 cheerleaders got me through

2 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I imagine part of the game plan was to take pitches to elevate his pitch count, and get him out of the game. Who knew he’d throw 156 pitches 

I wonder how many pitches he’ll throw tonight? Obvious answer is 0, but what if they’re holding on to a 1 run lead in the 9th inning in a high scoring 10-9 type game? Wouldn’t shock me if he trots out there to try to get the final 3 outs 

Edited by perfectchaos007

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

I wonder how many pitches he’ll throw tonight? Obvious answer is 0, but what if they’re holding on to a 1 run lead in the 9th inning in a high scoring 10-9 type game?

It would absurd to bring him in tonight,  but so was letting him throw that many last night so maybe 

56 minutes ago, Helobious said:

To give you an idea, we once had a double-header everyday for 3 days for a tourney. I pitched a perfect game all 6 games. It was tough but the nightly bjs from the top 3 cheerleaders got me through

The most believable part of this is that you had cheerleaders at baseball games. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I imagine part of the game plan was to take pitches to elevate his pitch count, and get him out of the game. Who knew he’d throw 156 pitches 

It was clearly Pierce's plan, and I was totally ok with it until the dude passed 100 and kept going out there. Then it was clear that they weren't gonna pull him. At that point our strategy needed to change. 

55 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He didn't throw a first pitch strike to any of the 4 batters he faced in the 9th so the stats looked much better the first 8 innings.

That's because he went to the fastball in the 9th inning.  The pitch he couldn't throw for strikes, rarely threw all game, and yet the pitch our hitters decided they were going to look for (whiffing at changeups instead) for 7 straight innings.

45 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I wonder how many pitches he’ll throw tonight? Obvious answer is 0, but what if they’re holding on to a 1 run lead in the 9th inning in a high scoring 10-9 type game? Wouldn’t shock me if he trots out there to try to get the final 3 outs 

570489195_1140x641.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

My buddy sent me this yesterday afternoon:

From one of the OB best writers:  Texas needs to be aggressive against Mathews. If he gets you to two strikes, it's bad news (29.3% K rate). He has a low walk rate (8.3%) and is most likely going to throw A LOT of pitches. I wouldn't stress about being patient and working the pitch count. Hunt fastballs early in counts and be ready to hit.

Say what you will about OB, but we basically did the opposite of this and got smoked. 

17 minutes ago, Hondo said:

That's because he went to the fastball in the 9th inning.  The pitch he couldn't throw for strikes, rarely threw all game, and yet the pitch our hitters decided they were going to look for (whiffing at changeups instead) for 7 straight innings.

Weren't you the one last night who tried to say it's easy to sit on a 80 MPH changeup and then catch up to a 93 MPH fastball?

Matthews tunnels his pitches extremely. His fastball and changeup look the EXACT same for 50 feet. If it was so easy to sit changeup then I'm sure one of the 136 batters he struck out before last night would have done it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I heard about that. But I don't think they really consider it a perfect game for the pitcher in t-ball. And calling the three stray dogs hanging around the field cheerleaders is a bit of a stretch.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My buddy sent me this yesterday afternoon:

Say what you will about OB, but we basically did the opposite of this and got smoked. 

Isn't the complaint from everyone that we sat fastball early in counts? Which is what the last sentence of that post says to do lol.

Can't have it every which way.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Isn't the complaint from everyone that we sat fastball early in counts? Which is what the last sentence of that post says to do lol.

Can't have it every which way.

The fastball is the only part I don't really agree with, having seen the kid pitch now, but the "be aggressive" part was certainly the opposite of what we did.

30 minutes ago, Hondo said:

I hope you pepper the thread again with dozens of post on this topic during the game tonight

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I had to venture into the dark recesses of the closet to find the old Texas MoJo baseball tee shirt. It hasn’t let me down yet, and has already been rescued twice from the wife’s under the sink rag bucket.
1fd3ba95ed19ef87c16d523f244a88a9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I had to venture into the dark recesses of the closet to find the old Texas MoJo baseball tee shirt. It hasn’t let me down yet, and has already been rescued twice from the wife’s under the sink rag bucket.

That is awesome!!! Still wear an ‘05 Rose Bowl shirt, for games we need it (football)!!!

Hook’em!!!
  • Like 1

First pitch swing results:
Foul ball, foul ball, triple, sac fly, foul ball, foul ball
We did not swing and miss on a first pitch the entire game.

So we scored 2 of our 3 runs swinging at the six first pitches we swung at. Should’ve done it more.

4 minutes ago, MainBldg said:

nice shirt, hope it works, but the real answer is to do everything just as you did Saturday night.  so wife is aggy?

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Weren't you the one last night who tried to say it's easy to sit on a 80 MPH changeup and then catch up to a 93 MPH fastball?

Matthews tunnels his pitches extremely. His fastball and changeup look the EXACT same for 50 feet. If it was so easy to sit changeup then I'm sure one of the 136 batters he struck out before last night would have done it.

Nice strawman.

I said sit on the offspeed (changeup and breaking ball) and "fight off" the fastball.  I didn't say it was "easy" - but yes, it is doable.  I have done it. 

They had issues because they were looking for fastballs and getting changeups.  They would have had far LESS trouble (not "no" trouble...his changeup was nasty) had they been geared up for it.  Most of his fastballs were well out of the zone.  The few that weren't could have been fought off (or hell, just taken...he wasn't using the FB as a 2 strike out pitch anyway), particularly since they were straight as an arrow and usually on the outer half.

Any other questions?

Look, the kid pitched a helluva a game.  Of his 16 Ks, about half of them were 100% his doing.  The other half were because our hitters had a terrible approach at the plate.  The kid isn't Paul Skenes (who, BTW, told several Kentucky hitters what pitch he was throwing and they still couldn't touch it) and was totally hittable had they been looking offspeed/opposite field.  

38 minutes ago, WBT said:

I hope you pepper the thread again with dozens of post on this topic during the game tonight

I hope we beat the shit out of them and there's no reason to.  Are you always passive aggressive?  Put on your big boy pants and be aggressive aggressive.  I'd rather you tell me to fuck off than that sissy shit.

2 minutes ago, freyguy said:

I'm easily appeased. 

Also, I will share some of the blame for last night's performance.  I was completely sober while watching the game.  I am sorry for this, and promise to rectify that tonight.

Subtlety is not an option tonight. Damn the torpedoes.