2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Very good question. I don’t think any stud thinks we’re a destination. We haven’t won in their lifetime. 

Interesting, not being a stud would certainly be news to the 2022 Golden Spikes winner.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

He wasn’t exactly recruited by all pre-Covid. 

I know 2147 & the like will be mad, but zero titles since ‘05 speaks. 

iTs NoT cHaMpIoNsHiP oR bUsT

i think Pierce isn’t the guy to win a championship. He will have us get to Omaha but once there I think that he’s tapped. Doesn’t recruit enough talent to win it all and doesn’t retain enough players/coaches. I

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Very good question. I don’t think any stud thinks we’re a destination. We haven’t won in their lifetime. 

What about Arkansas or Tennessee? Those teams haven’t won nothing but seem to be attractive. There is more that goes into their decision than looking around to see who has won a title in their lifetime. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

So '05 is that much difference than '09? Cuz that seems to be your argument for us vs LSU (our last championship vs their last prior to this year). Kids that went to LSU these last few years didn't go there because LSU beat us in '09 when they were 4 or 6 yrs old vs. being an infant or not born yet in '05. 

TEXAS alum (and Bellmont especially) have to realize that we are going to have to money whip kids more than ever now if we want to keep up with LSU, Arky, Vandy, TCU and many others that have been, or are now throwing (pun intended) dollars at kids to play Baseball at their school.

I have no inside idea how good our chance was to get Skenes (LSU definitely outbid for us him though, plus they had a much better and stronger roster returning than we did).

But prior to that, he played 6 games here at the Disch. At least one of those was a sellout crowd and the others during the year also well attended, which no doubt helped him to see what other destinations or opportunities might be available to him.

We weren't in that mix cuz we haven't won since '05? 

12 minutes ago, Levi said:

What about Arkansas or Tennessee? Those teams haven’t won nothing but seem to be attractive. There is more that goes into their decision than looking around to see who has won a title in their lifetime. 

Agree completely. We’re not any more relevant than those schools anymore. 

40 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Okay this is getting boring. Daily basketball staff and roster freak outs 2.0. We’ll either land a Friday starter and a .900 ops 3B or we won’t. And it’s not going to happen in one day

ss15 GIF

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

iTs NoT cHaMpIoNsHiP oR bUsT

i think Pierce isn’t the guy to win a championship. He will have us get to Omaha but once there I think that he’s tapped. Doesn’t recruit enough talent to win it all and doesn’t retain enough players/coaches. I

A championship is definitely the end goal. So who would you hire? Who is your guy?

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ah I get it, so how good of a player they are is irrelevant. If they were recruited by everybody and highly sought after is what’s really important 

42 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Nasty rumors being thrown around about O'Sullivan's personal life. That dickhead Jack Mac had to make a video apologizing for a previous video he made about it. Wonder if thats any kind of smoke he would leave Gainesville. 

If any of it's true, he'd never pass compliance at Texas.

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

We went 25 years without a title after ‘50.

We went 19 years without a title after ‘83.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, troph said:

I think the rumor is baseball isn’t #3 behind football and men’s basketball but that it’s #10 on campus. I don’t know what the rumor is I think that was the concern, no one expects baseball to be higher than #3 in this or any alternative universe. 

That’s what I was saying. I think you misread either intent or wording, but I was addressing Babers claiming on the radio that Texas baseball is behind a bunch of other non-rev sports in NIL, which is simply idiotic and untrue. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That Stanford pitcher that threw like 500 pitches vs us in in the portal.

Dude should transfer here. Fucker owes us 

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Could someone with a lot of time on their hand see how all the talent that Pierce has brought in stayed 3 years or whatever

Is this English? The fuck are you asking?

5 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Lsu’s last championship was just a couple yrs after UT’s but they are a destination$$$.    

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Could someone with a lot of time on their hand see how all the talent that Pierce has brought in stayed 3 years or whatever

35 draft picks under Pierce not including any of the guys who will be drafted next weekend. Only 4 were juco kids or transfers. All the others were signed and developed by Texas.

Of the 35, 17 were drafted in the top 10 rounds (premium rounds, where the money is made). So about 50%.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

They doubled us up when we were #1 2 years ago. AD never promotes off campus events 

This is an exaggeration.

That was a great fucking atmosphere though. Whole lower level full, most of the good club level seats full. Intensity in MMP felt like Omaha.

Things are subject to change, but it sounds like Pierce is not going to fill the open spot with another pitching guy. Sounds like Chris Gordon will remain in his current role (Director of Pitching and Hitting Development) and assist Pierce with the pitchers with Philip Miller sliding back into an on-field role as the 3rd assistant.

I would assume under this setup that Pierce is going to going to be taking a step back from coaching third and being heavily involved with the hitters day to day and leave that to Longley/Miller.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, WBT said:

Where did Allen get this rep as a master recruiter anyway?  I don't follow baseball recruiting but just from watching the teams on the field, the recruiting has never seemed to be quite up to traditional Texas standards since Pierce has been here.  Hence the need to overachieve to get to Omaha.

This…I believe better recruits make for better pitching coaches.  

10 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

The simple fact is the University of Texas is not a destination for anyone.

Why would it be? We haven’t won. 

If that was the case, most all colleges wouldn’t be destinations….we are top 10 usually each year, not every year…but we sure as hell better be a destination school or we’ve hired the wrong head coach.

11 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Agree completely. We’re not any more relevant than those schools anymore. 

Top of the conference, deep post season runs, 3/6 for CWS appearances the last 6 years. Texas lacks only one thing - a title - and since 1940 - we are in our 9th decade since then - Texas has won it all 6 times.  Texas is relevant as ever, the only difference is money. Though there may be some negative recruiting based on the asst coaching carousel. Start tossing the money around and recruits will come. CTJ has already explained two reasons Texas isn’t #1 - a few programs have sugar daddies and Texas isn’t loading up on stars and instead is paying more broadly.  But generic relevance, Texas baseball is as relevant as ever.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Tenn has a 4K seat shitter of a stadium that just lost in a super regional bid to southern miss. Not that I think ours is anything to write home about

The Disch may not be the best, but we have never lost a host spot due to its inferior seating capacity.

2 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Tenn has a 4K seat shitter of a stadium that just lost in a super regional bid to southern miss. Not that I think ours is anything to write home about

Tenn just approved a major upgrade of their baseball facilities to be completed by 2025.