2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

If I'm reading the NCAA site correctly, you have until 13 July to enter the portal.  And you have until 28 July to make your final decision on where you're going, if anywhere, or staying put.  And then 1 August is MLB signing deadline.  

Not that on-campus deadlines can't be flexible for student-athletes, important dates to keep in mind for UT:  16 August-undergrad course registration date for freshmen and transfers.  21 August-first day of classes.  Somewhere in there you know who's finally on campus and who balked. 

15 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Always

Be

Upgrading 

It's pretty clear our strategy was to try and stack starting pitching.

Got 2/3 out of Gordon, LBJ and Witt. I would be surprised if we aren't after 1 of those starters in the portal based on what we did in the draft. Although, the asking price for one of these portal arms may be much higher than what we were offering Gordon. 

Santos and Rigney are complete wildcards in mind, especially Santos. He was going to be a factor for Duke this year before an injury sidelined him. Was apparently up to 92-93 from the left side.

My bet is one of those guys occupies the Sunday slot to start the year unless someone like Tumis, Selvig or Hurley just blow the doors off the coaches in the fall.

With Morehouse and Sthele moving on I think a nice role could be found for Hurley in the pen. He can get up to 93-94 in shorter stints with good sink.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Levi said:

DH Powell? Where does Gasparino and Borba fit? 

That's under the assumption Gasparino would start in the OF. Gasparino, Brown, and Cummings. If Brown returns, I do wonder from a NIL perspective if we even need another IF. We are already going to have a difficult time finding playing time for guys like Borba. 

If Brown returns, I think I would prefer NIL be allocated to A) Catcher and B) Pitcher. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's under the assumption Gasparino would start in the OF. Gasparino, Brown, and Cummings. If Brown returns, I do wonder from a NIL perspective if we even need another IF. We are already going to have a difficult time finding playing time for guys like Borba. 

If Brown returns, I think I would prefer NIL be allocated to A) Catcher and B) Pitcher. 

Agreed about the NIL allocation. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

LF: Brown

CF: Cummings

RF: Gasparino

3B: Belyeu

SS: Flores/O'Dowd? 

2B: Powell

1B: Thomas

Catcher: Galvan (maybe a transfer)? 

DH: Borba/odd man out in the IF. 

Does something like this work if Brown returns? 

This scenario I think O’Dowd would be the odd man out for the infield and probably DH. he finished the season on somewhat of high note so he’ll have every chance to keep a spot but in the long term I think the young guys win out. I could also see Borba and Belyeu being interchangeable in that lineup as well. 

5 minutes ago, Levi said:

I could also see Borba and Belyeu being interchangeable in that lineup as well. 

I could be overreacting to summer ball but I think Belyeu is going to be an everyday starter. He just looks like a pure hitter and I think he's going to be an All-Big 12 type player next year. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I could be overreacting to summer ball but I think Belyeu is going to be an everyday starter. He just looks like a pure hitter and I think he's going to be an All-Big 12 type player next year. 

Meh. He’s putting up crazy numbers and it’s good to see so I don’t think you are. It could be that Powell, Borba, and Belyeu are going to be in the lineup no matter what and its just a matter of which two are on the field and the other DH. Could Belyeu try out at second? 

• Hook 'Em 1

A few things:

1. I have no problem with taking another bat, especially one with multiple years of eligibility. Very good chance Powell, Thomas, Flores and O’Dowd could be gone after 2024. Have to keep the pipeline healthy.

2. The lineup is going to work itself out. It’s nice that we won’t be asking Borba or Gasparino to be a key part of the offense right away like we did Flores last year. They shouldn’t feel pressure. Go ahead and pencil in Thomas, Powell, O’Dowd, Brown (if he returns) and Galvan (for now) for opening day. Everything else is pretty much up for grabs and there are good options. There will inevitably be an injury or something funky to make the picture clearer as we get closer to February.

Edited by Hookem2147

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Santos and Rigney are complete wildcards in mind, especially Santos. He was going to be a factor for Duke this year before an injury sidelined him. Was apparently up to 92-93 from the left side.

My bet is one of those guys occupies the Sunday slot to start the year unless someone like Tumis, Selvig or Hurley just blow the doors off the coaches in the fall.

If Texas doesn't add a starter from the portal, I think Whitehead is a darkhorse to be the Sunday guy to start the season. 

I saw him mentioned on twitter as having a good summer so far and it checks out. This is what he's done as a starter. 

http://baseball.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1646966&seasonid=33696

10 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I know there's about a million to one shot that Sykora decides to not sign with the Nats, but I haven't seen anything that said he's definitely signing. Would love a late summer surprise, but no way it's going to happen. 

Listening to Nats GM Mike Rizzo on DC sports radio … “they are thrilled to get Sykora” and said they have a “strategy” to get him signed.

Pretty good draft getting Crews, YoYo, and Sykora.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/college-baseballs-winners-and-losers-of-the-2023-mlb-draft/

College Baseball's Winners and Losers of the 2023 MLB Draft

Spoiler

While recruiting classes drive most of the winners and losers on this list, the Longhorns’ entry is mostly based on returning players, specifically righthanders Lebarron Johnson Jr. and Tanner Witt. Johnson Jr. went undrafted, and Witt was not picked until the 18th round. They are now expected to return to the 40 Acres and have the potential to give Texas the best 1-2 punch in the country.

Texas’ recruiting class also got a significant boost when outfielder Will Gasparino (92) went unselected. While the Longhorns lost powerful righthander Travis Sykora in the third round, getting Gasparino to campus is a big win and is a boost in a position of need.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This could be a pretty special year for UT men's sports.  I'm just gonna enjoy 'em all.  Well, until they crush my dreams.

that would be something if we returned to the 2002-2005 era of sports at UT.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 2