2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

10 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Top of the 4th made it 4-1 alumni at that time.

FYI.  University of San Diego Toreros went 24-25-1 last year.   9-16 on the road.

I'd kill for Stehly in our lineup this year. Hopefully Powell picks up where he left off last year. If yesterday is any indicator, that's exactly what he's going to do

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/3/2024 at 3:42 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

I guess the Devil's wife must have made him the sandwich he wanted.  Grandma used to say if the sun is shining and it's raining the Devil is beating his wife.  

When I was a kid playing little league in the RGV, one of my coaches told me that his grandma used to tell him that. For some reason, I never forgot it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, my mom spent most her childhood in the RGV and when I grew up in Chicago and it was raining/snowing, she would literally say, "You know...in   Texas...when sun/rain happened...they'd say the Devil was Beating his Wife."  Years later, I move to Texas.  I used that phrase and everybody in the room looked at me like I was fucking insane.  I mean, I am.  But I thought it was a Southern Expression.  

The couple weeks I played college ball in Florida, it would happen all the time (Autumn rains are typical there with sun off to the South).  And everybody'd use that phrase, but not in Texas anymore I guess.  

12 more days to opening day folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/4/2024 at 5:44 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Top of the 4th made it 4-1 alumni at that time.

FYI.  University of San Diego Toreros went 24-25-1 last year.   9-16 on the road.

Not sure if we've played since, but they swept us in San Diego at the beginning of the 2006 season. You don't just waltz into Cunningham Stadium and expect to emerge victorious over the Toreros.  At least they come to Austin this year.  Time for payback.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

No specific reason but I feel like I'm way more pumped for the beginning of this season than I have been in awhile. 

I'm the opposite.  Least excited I've been in years based on what we have coming back and the unknown factor of what's coming in.   Maybe I'm just a miserable grump.   But I had no expectations last year, then when the season started it looked like we were devoid of hitting talent but had pitching, and it turned out the offense came around but we didn't have good enough pitching.   So as a fan I'm clueless.   Pierce said he likes the the team so I guess that's good.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I grew up in the sticks in east TX and never head that phrase until I was an adult. 

I grew up in Houston and my parents and grandparents were from east TX and I never heard that phrase either.

51 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

No specific reason but I feel like I'm way more pumped for the beginning of this season than I have been in awhile. 

Because basketball isn't as fun/successful as last year so we need something to look forward to? 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Because basketball isn't as fun/successful as last year so we need something to look forward to? 

Could be. Maybe I'm still riding high off of Volleyball and Football and Basketball just ain't filling the void right now. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Yeah, for the first time in awhile..:I’m confident in our lineup but pretty nervous about our pitching staff overall.  Opposite of the usual tenuousness.  And for once, I’m totally at Ease with a relatively “not-so-salty” A non conference schedule.  

Top 8 seed is all that matters In the end.  See you boys at the Disch.  

19 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

2 true freshman in the starting OF is high risk, as is counting on Witt as an ace.  But I am excited about our team and their ceiling is very high.

I would consider LBJ the ace and he offers a pretty high floor for a #1. Counting on Witt as a #2 isn't as risky and I think Hurley as a #3 is a good fit for how crazy Sunday games can get.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a refresher, this was the lineup we trotted out in game 1 last year:

Kennedy CF

Campbell RF

Brown LF

Guillemette C

O'Dowd 2B

Daly SS

Thomas 1B

Flores 3B

Duplantier 3B

Also had Chris Stuart throwing in high leverage spots out of the pen the first 3 weeks or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

As a refresher, this was the lineup we trotted out in game 1 last year:

Kennedy CF

Campbell RF

Brown LF

Guillemette C

O'Dowd 2B

Daly SS

Thomas 1B

Flores 3B

Duplantier 3B

Also had Chris Stuart throwing in high leverage spots out of the pen the first 3 weeks or so.

Kennedy: Farmer (downgrade)

Campbell : Gasparino (push)

Brown : Brown (upgrade)

Guillemette : Schuessler/Galvan (downgrade)

O’Dowd : O’Dowd (upgrade)

Daly : Powell (push)

Thomas : Thomas (upgrade)

Flores : Flores (upgrade)

Duplantier : Misc (push)

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Kennedy: Farmer (downgrade)

Campbell : Gasparino (push)

Brown : Brown (upgrade)

Guillemette : Schuessler/Galvan (downgrade)

O’Dowd : O’Dowd (upgrade)

Daly : Powell (push)

Thomas : Thomas (upgrade)

Flores : Flores (upgrade)

Duplantier : Misc (push)

I am as high on Gasparino as anyone, but I wouldn’t say him and Campbell are a “push” quite yet.

The scary thing last year offensively headed into the season is we had like 2 known quantities (Kennedy, Campbell) and the rest was just a bunch of unknowns or guys we hoped would step up.

This year we head into the season with knowing what we will get from at least half the lineup and have some guys with upside (Gasparino, Sanders, Belyeu).

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Same. It's also odd feeling more confidence in our bats than our pitching in the preseason. When's the last time that happened? Like 2007 or some shit? 

Man, if we get even just 80% of 2021 Witt, we're going to make some serious noise. 

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Strongly disagree. 

Yeah.....Powell can actually hit. Daly turned it on a bit at the end of the year last year, and I thank him for that, but I'm very pleased he's no longer on the roster. Slightly below average shortstop that can't hit a beach ball isn't ideal 

Also, hate to go full @LTtxfan and blast a few posts in a row, but while we're on the discussion of Powell, that dude is my fucking hero. Was like the 3rd team catcher or whatever for 3 years, every at bat he got I always wondered why he wasn't getting more chances. I mean, it made sense. Our lineups were loaded in '21 and '22. But instead of being a fucking cunt like Gavin Kash, he bided his time and he's now a returning starter and one of our most important bats in the lineup. So basically 

Baby Hat GIF

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, .45s said:
8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I grew up in the sticks in east TX and never head that phrase until I was an adult. 

I grew up in Houston and my parents and grandparents were from east TX and I never heard that phrase either.

I grew up in East Texas….and I have heard the expression.  There’s lots of expressions out there that many people in a younger generation than me, have never heard.  I’m trying to share those with my folks.  (My parents/grandparents were from Alabama, which could explain it).

5 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Sure I’m late to the party on Hayden Morris, but damn we’ve had a lot of freshman flameouts lately 

Another guy who had Tommy John, although I think he may have arrived on campus with the injury. 

42 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Also, hate to go full @LTtxfan and blast a few posts in a row, but while we're on the discussion of Powell, that dude is my fucking hero. Was like the 3rd team catcher or whatever for 3 years, every at bat he got I always wondered why he wasn't getting more chances. I mean, it made sense. Our lineups were loaded in '21 and '22. But instead of being a fucking cunt like Gavin Kash, he bided his time and he's now a returning starter and one of our most important bats in the lineup. So basically 

Baby Hat GIF

I hope people don’t forget that Powell’s first start was at 1st base against Fullerton. He was kinda the unspoken utility guy for us and eventually shuffled to 3rd and found a home. Powell struggled at times with errors but for the first time since he’s stepped foot on campus, he knows exactly what his role is going to be. I’m excited to see him to take that next step in his game. Helluva story

Edited by Levi
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

I hope people don’t forget that Powell’s first start was at 1st base against Fullerton. He was kinda the unspoken utility guy for us and eventually shuffled to 3rd and found a home. Powell struggled at times with errors but for the first time since he’s stepped foot on campus, he knows exactly what his role is going to be. I’m excited to see him to take that next step in his game. Helluva story

Didn't he also play 2nd and left in a game or two last year? Could've swore he did but I smoke way too much weed so I could be wrong

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Another guy who had Tommy John, although I think he may have arrived on campus with the injury. 

Homegrown arms on campus

19- Lummus, Dre

20- LBJ, Witt

21- Ace, Harrison

22- Grubbs

19 and 20 were great, extremely fortunate to still have contributors from 20. 21 and 22 combined with the portal injuries are brutal. 23 looks like a massive step in the right direction even without Morris. 

The gaps from the 20-21 classes made it so huge to get LBJ and Witt back. It can’t be overstated how much pain we’re being spared by those 2 covering a multi-year black hole behind them. 

24 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Homegrown arms on campus

19- Lummus, Dre

20- LBJ, Witt

21- Ace, Harrison

22- Grubbs

19 and 20 were great, extremely fortunate to still have contributors from 20. 21 and 22 combined with the portal injuries are brutal. 23 looks like a massive step in the right direction even without Morris. 

The gaps from the 20-21 classes made it so huge to get LBJ and Witt back. It can’t be overstated how much pain we’re being spared by those 2 covering a multi-year black hole behind them. 

The 2021 class was brutal for many teams because that was in the heart of Covid where coaches weren't allowed to go out on the road or host camps that summer. There were a lot of busts. I'm assuming that is part of the reason we signed such a small class that year.

Not sure what we were doing in 2022. It was Grubbs and then a few other dudes who were fliers + Minchey as a late add. I wonder if this all played a role in Allen being let go (in combination with many other things obviously). I believe posters on here said in real time that we were getting dinged on the recruiting trail when going up against other schools with established pitching guys.

We got 11 arms signed right now in 2024 so we obviously are aware of the issue, even if a few of those guys never make it to campus. 

Baseball, Spring and optimism go together like nachos and cold beer.  I'm excited for the new season and I think we'll do well.  How well?  I wish I knew.  I am confident that we'll make the Supers, hopefully at home.  Fingers crossed.    Maybe, we'll get to see some new guys grow into some lumber swinging and fast ball slingin' mo fo's.  I think DP will tinker around with the guys and and the magic will happen.  Until then..."we're born again and there's new grass on the field...".

Enjoy.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Your tickets are now available as an ALL-IN-1 pass.
The new ALL-IN-1 pass will simplify your digital wallet. Add ALL-IN-1 ticket(s) once per seat, and it will automatically update to the next event.

Just downloaded mine. Great new feature as last year was a pain to download like 20 odd games into my wallet

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yep, my mom spent most her childhood in the RGV and when I grew up in Chicago and it was raining/snowing, she would literally say, "You know...in   Texas...when sun/rain happened...they'd say the Devil was Beating his Wife."  Years later, I move to Texas.  I used that phrase and everybody in the room looked at me like I was fucking insane.  I mean, I am.  But I thought it was a Southern Expression.  

The couple weeks I played college ball in Florida, it would happen all the time (Autumn rains are typical there with sun off to the South).  And everybody'd use that phrase, but not in Texas anymore I guess.  

12 more days to opening day folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

9 hours ago, .45s said:

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I grew up in East Texas….and I have heard the expression.  There’s lots of expressions out there that many people in a younger generation than me, have never heard.  I’m trying to share those with my folks.  (My parents/grandparents were from Alabama, which could explain it).

my folks used the phrase. Of course now it’s not politically appropriate to talk about spousal abuse so not sure what the fuck you’re supposed to say? The devil is a pansy ass in touch with his feelings and decided to have a good cry? Which I highly recommend when life gets tough btw. 

6 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Hate to break up the biggest faget contest y’all are having, but I got my season tickets.

Well, now everyone is talking about the devil beating his wife. The faget Powell talk seems pretty tame now