2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

9 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Is there any set plan on replacing the ugly as fuck turf field? It’s an abomination for Texas baseball to have that carpet. 

I miss the astroturf so much. It gave us a nice little homefield advantage with some of the crazy ass bounces and whatnot it would produce. And dirt around the bases. Our guys standing up clean after sliding into 2nd or whatever will never look right.

15 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Is there any set plan on replacing the ugly as fuck turf field? It’s an abomination for Texas baseball to have that carpet. 

Current turf is not that old and I don’t think it was exactly cheap to install.

CDC has said before he prefers natural grass but they need to get a some more life out of the current turf. Also a lot easier/cheaper to host camps and HS games without worrying about field maintenance.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Current turf is not that old and I don’t think it was exactly cheap to install.

CDC has said before he prefers natural grass but they need to get a some more life out of the current turf. Also a lot easier/cheaper to host camps and HS games without worrying about field maintenance.

This is a pretty big deal. Lots of high schools are switching to turf for the maintenance reasons. Injuries arent as common in baseball on turf compared to football on turf. 

NPR did a story a little while back on turf, interviewed a former turf industry insider and he pretty much said grass is better in every way and turf is basically a big scam. Ends up way more expensive, even considering ongoing maintenance, and leads to mountains of scrap turf that can't be recycled so it is just dumped in landfills

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

No, it's like a townhall deal.  But there's a reception either right before or after that's invite only.  I've got my daughter's recital during it, lemme dig it up and see if I can forward it to you and you can hit him up in smaller environs.  I genuinely enjoy talking baseball with him because he has some cool ideas for the future of our facilities.  Gimme a few, if I don't get it to you...texassports should have the details on tonight's open forum deal at Hogg.  Parking will be a bitch though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Blake added that Luke Harrison is full go to start the season so that's huge. I thought he would still be at least a few weeks behind.

It was only a couple of weeks ago or so that Coach Pierce said that Luke had just thrown his first pitch to a live batter.  So he might be ready to pitch, but he also might have to ease into it as far as innings are concerned.

On 2/5/2024 at 7:51 AM, YGIFS said:

Yep, my mom spent most her childhood in the RGV and when I grew up in Chicago and it was raining/snowing, she would literally say, "You know...in   Texas...when sun/rain happened...they'd say the Devil was Beating his Wife."  Years later, I move to Texas.  I used that phrase and everybody in the room looked at me like I was fucking insane.  I mean, I am.  But I thought it was a Southern Expression.  

The couple weeks I played college ball in Florida, it would happen all the time (Autumn rains are typical there with sun off to the South).  And everybody'd use that phrase, but not in Texas anymore I guess.  

12 more days to opening day folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad dawg

Edited by Pimphand
  • Like 1

Thanks.  Uh....Dennis Castro.  

I already got one asshat on here who posts my real name on here about once a year (and roughly this time of year, like he wants to be Valentine's or something).  

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Thanks.  Uh....Dennis Castro.  

I already got one asshat on here who posts my real name on here about once a year (and roughly this time of year, like he wants to be Valentine's or something).  

My bad dawg I didn't realize you had a cybersurlystalker I thought I was being funny.  Sorry for the late response I got pulled over by TXDPS on the way home on I-35

I wouldn't call him a cyberstalker.  He just gets fucked up sometimes and posts my real name every now and again for some strange reason (he uses different handles).  

I'm also gonna assume there's a 20% chance you gave said TXDPS trooper my name during the traffic stop.  

allgood, ride safe out there.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I wouldn't call him a cyberstalker.  He just gets fucked up sometimes and posts my real name every now and again for some strange reason (he uses different handles).  

I'm also gonna assume there's a 20% chance you gave said TXDPS trooper my name during the traffic stop.  

allgood, ride safe out there.  

LOL I did not but if anyone saw the motorcycle pulled over at MLK & 35 that was me and I'm already home so despite the speed I was riding safe haha I literally was trying to just aggressively take the big space cushion but that didn't matter to our DPS frens.

D1baseball's preview of San Diego, who they projected to finish 2nd in the WCC

Spoiler

For a second year in a row, San Diego attacked the transfer portal for multiple impact players. This year it was in an attempt to add depth and reinforcements to the pitching staff after having to replace half its lineup the previous offseason. It’s also an opportunity for the pitching staff to reset after its worst season since pitching coach Matt Florer arrived in 2019. The Toreros just didn’t have anyone with elite stuff. As a staff, they minimized opportunities by not walking batters, but they struck out less than a hitter per inning for the first time in five years and flat out gave up too many hits, ranking No. 212 in the nation, allowing 10.5 hits per nine innings. Head coach Brock Ungricht and Florer addressed the issue with a high risk, high reward transfer portal gamble. They brought in a cadre of electric but injury-plagued arms led by 6’4”, 245-pound Arizona transfer Joshua Randall, who has been sitting mid-90s and bumping up to 99. Banged up all last year, Randall logged only one inning for the Wildcats and has just 17.2 career innings, so it’ll be interesting to see how he handles the workload and expectations of being a Friday starter, including when he faces his former team in Week 2. Purdue transfer Calvin Schapira, who began his career at Southern California, is another big-bodied starter at 6’6”, but also another unproven talent. The southpaw has only thrown 79 career innings at the Division I level and has a 2-8, 5.01 record. He has been sharp for the Toreros, showcasing the ability to throw three pitches for strikes. The 24-year-old’s work ethic and attitude have also set the tone for the pitching staff. In the bullpen, three transfer additions could earn significant roles. Vaughn Mauterer made 47 appearances in his four-year career at California, but never saw sustained success in large part due to his propensity to issue free passes (35 BB, 8 HBP in 43.1 career IP). However, command wasn’t an issue for him in the fall. He pumped 94-95 mph fastballs and attacked the zone with three pitches for strikes. Colton Sundloff comes from Oklahoma where he was in the mix to be the Sooners’ closer last season before a back injury derailed his season, limiting him to four innings over five appearances. UC Santa Barbara transfer righthander Alex Schrier (1-0, 5.40, 1 SV in 25 IP last year) was a consistent contributor out of the Gauchos’ bullpen, logging 48 innings over 34 appearances. He never ascended to being one of the first choices in high-leverage situations, but the Torero coaching staff has been impressed by his flatline heartbeat on the mound and thinks his pitchability with three pitches will give him an opportunity to be used as a starter or in long relief. Returners Austin Smith (4-2, 3.49, 1 SV) and Ryan Kysar (2-0, 6.04) are also in the mix for starter roles, but everyone is battling for the Sunday and Tuesday roles. Randall is locked into the Friday spot, and the Toreros are confident in freshman Logan Reddemann taking the reins on Saturdays. At 6’2”, 175 pounds, Reddemann doesn’t look imposing, but he’s athletic, loose and the ball jumps out of his hand. He’s been 92-95 this spring after touching 96 in the fall, and he’s got three offspeed offerings, each of which he is comfortable throwing in any count.

Both Smith, who led the Toreros in RBIs last year, and Reddemann could see time in the batter’s box as well. However, San Diego has so much offensive depth that may not end up happening until pitching roles are solidified. Ungricht returns eight hitters that had at least 100 at-bats last year. He has a consistent infield that should carry the load and an uber-talented outfield full of potential still waiting to fully put it together. Angelo Peraza returns to the middle of the lineup after leading the team with a .330 average to go with seven homers, 33 RBIs and 10 stolen bases. His double play mate, shortstop Justin DeCriscio, hit .322, 3, 19 and had a team-best 13 base thieveries. Jack Costello (.234, 7, 27) returns to third base where his numbers should rebound after an injury-plagued 2023 campaign. He hit .338 as a freshman and .307, 8, 42 in 2022. He’ll help protect Peraza and sophomore first baseman Jack Gurevitch (.265, 6, 28), who Ungricht believes is primed for a breakout and capable of being one of the best hitters in program history. Catcher Ariel Armas (.222, 3, 18 in 108 ABs) isn’t flashy, but he’s one of the best defensive catchers on the West Coast. The outfield features former high-profile high school recruits Dustin Allen and Gabe D’Arcy. Both have shown flashes but not completed the puzzle just yet. Allen (.235, 4, 27, 7 SB) regressed last season after hitting .292, 2, 37, 15 SB and striking out fewer times that he walked in 2022. D’Arcy (.333, 0, 4 in 42 ABs), who began his career at Arkansas, has all the tools but hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Division II National Player of the Year Jakob Christian may not have the flash of his outfield mates, but he brings an imposing physicality to the lineup at 6’5”, 225 pounds. He hit .408 with 28 bombs and 70 RBIs at the Division II level last year. Another imposing presence in the lineup will be Max McGwire. The son of Mark McGwire missed all last season after having Tommy John surgery, but he’s added 20 pounds to his 6’2” frame and the ball has been jumping off his bat. Max has power to all fields. It’ll just be a matter of how long it takes him to shake the rust from the layoff.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I was wondering about that during the alumni game... Had noticed that there was netting showing (outfield padding gone) during the game and that you could see the older/original outfield wall beyond the netting. 

Pretty cool. Beginning of some outfield seating. 🤘

I took this from my seat during the alumni game. Hard to tell cuz I don’t have the wall where the padding is still in place, but you are looking through inner wall with netting and seeing the panels from the older/further back wall.
3dd1f97ddf710cd767bcfdd74905ac3b.jpg

Edited by BillyGoatHill

CDC at Town Hall last night.

Baseball season is only a few days away. And I am fired up about announcing the Yeti Yard, the newest addition to UFCU Disch-Falk Field.  This area will be located outside the ballpark and is a GA non-ticketed area where fans can enjoy the game. Food and beverage will be available for purchase and fans can also bring their own into this area. More details will come very soon!

Forty Acres Insider: February 14 - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)

3 hours ago, torre said:

CDC at Town Hall last night.

Baseball season is only a few days away. And I am fired up about announcing the Yeti Yard, the newest addition to UFCU Disch-Falk Field.  This area will be located outside the ballpark and is a GA non-ticketed area where fans can enjoy the game. Food and beverage will be available for purchase and fans can also bring their own into this area. More details will come very soon!

Forty Acres Insider: February 14 - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com)

So anyone can walk in? Is he trying to lure in you guys in Occupy?

On 2/13/2024 at 3:40 PM, YGIFS said:

No, it's like a townhall deal.  But there's a reception either right before or after that's invite only.  I've got my daughter's recital during it, lemme dig it up and see if I can forward it to you and you can hit him up in smaller environs.  I genuinely enjoy talking baseball with him because he has some cool ideas for the future of our facilities.  Gimme a few, if I don't get it to you...texassports should have the details on tonight's open forum deal at Hogg.  Parking will be a bitch though.  

Parking has never NOT been a bitch on The 40 Acres.  Lulz.

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

D1baseball's preview of San Diego, who they projected to finish 2nd in the WCC

Reveal hidden contents

For a second year in a row, San Diego attacked the transfer portal for multiple impact players. This year it was in an attempt to add depth and reinforcements to the pitching staff after having to replace half its lineup the previous offseason. It’s also an opportunity for the pitching staff to reset after its worst season since pitching coach Matt Florer arrived in 2019. The Toreros just didn’t have anyone with elite stuff. As a staff, they minimized opportunities by not walking batters, but they struck out less than a hitter per inning for the first time in five years and flat out gave up too many hits, ranking No. 212 in the nation, allowing 10.5 hits per nine innings. Head coach Brock Ungricht and Florer addressed the issue with a high risk, high reward transfer portal gamble. They brought in a cadre of electric but injury-plagued arms led by 6’4”, 245-pound Arizona transfer Joshua Randall, who has been sitting mid-90s and bumping up to 99. Banged up all last year, Randall logged only one inning for the Wildcats and has just 17.2 career innings, so it’ll be interesting to see how he handles the workload and expectations of being a Friday starter, including when he faces his former team in Week 2. Purdue transfer Calvin Schapira, who began his career at Southern California, is another big-bodied starter at 6’6”, but also another unproven talent. The southpaw has only thrown 79 career innings at the Division I level and has a 2-8, 5.01 record. He has been sharp for the Toreros, showcasing the ability to throw three pitches for strikes. The 24-year-old’s work ethic and attitude have also set the tone for the pitching staff. In the bullpen, three transfer additions could earn significant roles. Vaughn Mauterer made 47 appearances in his four-year career at California, but never saw sustained success in large part due to his propensity to issue free passes (35 BB, 8 HBP in 43.1 career IP). However, command wasn’t an issue for him in the fall. He pumped 94-95 mph fastballs and attacked the zone with three pitches for strikes. Colton Sundloff comes from Oklahoma where he was in the mix to be the Sooners’ closer last season before a back injury derailed his season, limiting him to four innings over five appearances. UC Santa Barbara transfer righthander Alex Schrier (1-0, 5.40, 1 SV in 25 IP last year) was a consistent contributor out of the Gauchos’ bullpen, logging 48 innings over 34 appearances. He never ascended to being one of the first choices in high-leverage situations, but the Torero coaching staff has been impressed by his flatline heartbeat on the mound and thinks his pitchability with three pitches will give him an opportunity to be used as a starter or in long relief. Returners Austin Smith (4-2, 3.49, 1 SV) and Ryan Kysar (2-0, 6.04) are also in the mix for starter roles, but everyone is battling for the Sunday and Tuesday roles. Randall is locked into the Friday spot, and the Toreros are confident in freshman Logan Reddemann taking the reins on Saturdays. At 6’2”, 175 pounds, Reddemann doesn’t look imposing, but he’s athletic, loose and the ball jumps out of his hand. He’s been 92-95 this spring after touching 96 in the fall, and he’s got three offspeed offerings, each of which he is comfortable throwing in any count.

Both Smith, who led the Toreros in RBIs last year, and Reddemann could see time in the batter’s box as well. However, San Diego has so much offensive depth that may not end up happening until pitching roles are solidified. Ungricht returns eight hitters that had at least 100 at-bats last year. He has a consistent infield that should carry the load and an uber-talented outfield full of potential still waiting to fully put it together. Angelo Peraza returns to the middle of the lineup after leading the team with a .330 average to go with seven homers, 33 RBIs and 10 stolen bases. His double play mate, shortstop Justin DeCriscio, hit .322, 3, 19 and had a team-best 13 base thieveries. Jack Costello (.234, 7, 27) returns to third base where his numbers should rebound after an injury-plagued 2023 campaign. He hit .338 as a freshman and .307, 8, 42 in 2022. He’ll help protect Peraza and sophomore first baseman Jack Gurevitch (.265, 6, 28), who Ungricht believes is primed for a breakout and capable of being one of the best hitters in program history. Catcher Ariel Armas (.222, 3, 18 in 108 ABs) isn’t flashy, but he’s one of the best defensive catchers on the West Coast. The outfield features former high-profile high school recruits Dustin Allen and Gabe D’Arcy. Both have shown flashes but not completed the puzzle just yet. Allen (.235, 4, 27, 7 SB) regressed last season after hitting .292, 2, 37, 15 SB and striking out fewer times that he walked in 2022. D’Arcy (.333, 0, 4 in 42 ABs), who began his career at Arkansas, has all the tools but hasn’t been able to stay healthy. Division II National Player of the Year Jakob Christian may not have the flash of his outfield mates, but he brings an imposing physicality to the lineup at 6’5”, 225 pounds. He hit .408 with 28 bombs and 70 RBIs at the Division II level last year. Another imposing presence in the lineup will be Max McGwire. The son of Mark McGwire missed all last season after having Tommy John surgery, but he’s added 20 pounds to his 6’2” frame and the ball has been jumping off his bat. Max has power to all fields. It’ll just be a matter of how long it takes him to shake the rust from the layoff.

I'm pretty confident, unless Kris Bryant and/or Paul Sewald have eligibility remaining.

From Jeff Howe and the 247 Insider:

"Depth expected to be an early strength for Texas baseball"

Spoiler

Depth expected to be an early strength for Texas baseball

Texas head coach David Pierce’s 2024 squad needs to gain experience against outside competition to form an identity. Nevertheless, Pierce identified the Longhorns’ biggest strength long before Friday’s season opener against San Diego at UFCU Disch-Falk Field (7 p.m., LHN).

In short, Pierce told Horns247 in a recent one-on-one interview that the depth this season’s bunch possesses is similar to the 2017 club. A group made up largely of players Pierce inherited for his first season on the job rebounded from a losing season in 2016 (Texas went 25-32 in Augie Garrido’s final season as head coach) to win 39 games.
The Longhorns were in the driver’s seat in the Long Beach Regional, but a pair of one-run losses to the host Dirtbags ended their season. Still,

“[The 2017 team] was so much better than what their record [was] and how they played in the previous years because we had 11 guys drafted,” Pierce of his first team on the Forty Acres, which tied Michigan for the most selections from one program in the 2017 draft. “There were some really good players.”

Where the two teams are similar, Pierce said, is the ability he and the staff have to look at a position like shortstop and say, “Yeah, I feel like we could put three guys out there.”

“One guy is going to run a little better. One guy is going to throw a little better. One guy is going to hit a little better,” Pierce said. “Behind the plate, I don't know if either one of our guys [Rylan Galvan and Kimble Schuessler] will ever turn into Silas [Ardoin], but I have two really good ones, so there's a comfort there.”

Even with Duke transfer Luke Storm moving on from baseball and taking a potential power bat out of the lineup along with the ability to play either corner infield (first base and third base) or corner outfield (left field and right field) position, Pierce has no shortage of options when filling out his lineup card.

Other than Jack O’Dowd at second base, projected starting infielders Peyton Powell (third base), Jaylin Flores (shortstop) and Jared Thomas (first base) have position flexibility — Powell can play shortstop or get behind the plate and catch, Flores can slide over to third base and Thomas can play in the outfield. With that said, between Jayden Duplantier, Cade O’Hara, Dee Kennedy and Casey Borba, Texas has viable options on the bench if things need to be changed up due to injury or another reason.

The same goes for the outfield where a pair of true freshmen — Will Gasparino and Tommy Farmer — and sophomore Max Belyeu competed throughout the offseason for the two open spots (center field and right field) alongside left fielder Porter Brown. Pierce has also liked what he’s seen from a pair of transfers — Casey Cummings and Seth Werchan — and with Thomas as an outfield option, the configurations are seemingly endless.

“I think we have so much more depth right now that we could absorb an injury more so than we could in the past,” said Pierce, who referenced the 2019 season when the Longhorns followed up a Big 12 title and a trip to the College World Series with a 27-27 record that wasn’t good enough to get into the Big 12 Tournament as a fate he doesn’t expect the 2024 team to suffer.

Ahead of Pierce’s third season, Texas lost one of the top shortstops in the country, David Hamilton, to an Achilles injury. Once catcher DJ Petrinsky went down before the start of conference play with a shoulder injury, “so did we,” Pierce said.

If a superstar is going to emerge in 2024, Pierce expects it to happen organically as it did in 2022 when Ivan Melendez ascended from being a piece of the puzzle to the most feared hitter in the country as the winner of both the Golden Spikes Award and the Dick Howser Trophy. When Murphy Stehly elevated his role from being the team’s utility man to an All-American hitter, the Longhorns suddenly had one of the most potent lineups in school history in a season where Pierce wasn’t banking on Texas mashing the ball the way it did en route to Omaha.

“We’re not just solely reliant on two superstars,” Pierce said. “We weren’t that with Ivan — he became that and that’s exactly the way you want it. Murph became that. We created this lineup where all of a sudden, ‘What happens if Ivan is out of the lineup? Oh [expletive]!’ But at the end of the day, we didn’t expect that. We knew he was good, but to [become] that superstar?”

It remains to be seen what the lineup will ultimately produce. But, as is always the case on the Forty Acres, Pierce needs his pitchers to be locked in and the defense to once again be among the best in the country if the Longhorns are going to add to the program’s NCAA-record number of trips to the College World Series, no matter who's playing behind a pitching staff Pierce oversees in his role as pitching coach.

“At the end of the day, we've got to pitch and you've got to catch the ball,” Pierce said. “You can win 3-2 and then when you hit, you can win a blowout. But those two elements give you a chance to win.” — JEFF HOWE

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

From Jeff Howe and the 247 Insider:

"Depth expected to be an early strength for Texas baseball"

Reveal hidden contents

Depth expected to be an early strength for Texas baseball

Texas head coach David Pierce’s 2024 squad needs to gain experience against outside competition to form an identity. Nevertheless, Pierce identified the Longhorns’ biggest strength long before Friday’s season opener against San Diego at UFCU Disch-Falk Field (7 p.m., LHN).

In short, Pierce told Horns247 in a recent one-on-one interview that the depth this season’s bunch possesses is similar to the 2017 club. A group made up largely of players Pierce inherited for his first season on the job rebounded from a losing season in 2016 (Texas went 25-32 in Augie Garrido’s final season as head coach) to win 39 games.
The Longhorns were in the driver’s seat in the Long Beach Regional, but a pair of one-run losses to the host Dirtbags ended their season. Still,

“[The 2017 team] was so much better than what their record [was] and how they played in the previous years because we had 11 guys drafted,” Pierce of his first team on the Forty Acres, which tied Michigan for the most selections from one program in the 2017 draft. “There were some really good players.”

Where the two teams are similar, Pierce said, is the ability he and the staff have to look at a position like shortstop and say, “Yeah, I feel like we could put three guys out there.”

“One guy is going to run a little better. One guy is going to throw a little better. One guy is going to hit a little better,” Pierce said. “Behind the plate, I don't know if either one of our guys [Rylan Galvan and Kimble Schuessler] will ever turn into Silas [Ardoin], but I have two really good ones, so there's a comfort there.”

Even with Duke transfer Luke Storm moving on from baseball and taking a potential power bat out of the lineup along with the ability to play either corner infield (first base and third base) or corner outfield (left field and right field) position, Pierce has no shortage of options when filling out his lineup card.

Other than Jack O’Dowd at second base, projected starting infielders Peyton Powell (third base), Jaylin Flores (shortstop) and Jared Thomas (first base) have position flexibility — Powell can play shortstop or get behind the plate and catch, Flores can slide over to third base and Thomas can play in the outfield. With that said, between Jayden Duplantier, Cade O’Hara, Dee Kennedy and Casey Borba, Texas has viable options on the bench if things need to be changed up due to injury or another reason.

The same goes for the outfield where a pair of true freshmen — Will Gasparino and Tommy Farmer — and sophomore Max Belyeu competed throughout the offseason for the two open spots (center field and right field) alongside left fielder Porter Brown. Pierce has also liked what he’s seen from a pair of transfers — Casey Cummings and Seth Werchan — and with Thomas as an outfield option, the configurations are seemingly endless.

“I think we have so much more depth right now that we could absorb an injury more so than we could in the past,” said Pierce, who referenced the 2019 season when the Longhorns followed up a Big 12 title and a trip to the College World Series with a 27-27 record that wasn’t good enough to get into the Big 12 Tournament as a fate he doesn’t expect the 2024 team to suffer.

Ahead of Pierce’s third season, Texas lost one of the top shortstops in the country, David Hamilton, to an Achilles injury. Once catcher DJ Petrinsky went down before the start of conference play with a shoulder injury, “so did we,” Pierce said.

If a superstar is going to emerge in 2024, Pierce expects it to happen organically as it did in 2022 when Ivan Melendez ascended from being a piece of the puzzle to the most feared hitter in the country as the winner of both the Golden Spikes Award and the Dick Howser Trophy. When Murphy Stehly elevated his role from being the team’s utility man to an All-American hitter, the Longhorns suddenly had one of the most potent lineups in school history in a season where Pierce wasn’t banking on Texas mashing the ball the way it did en route to Omaha.

“We’re not just solely reliant on two superstars,” Pierce said. “We weren’t that with Ivan — he became that and that’s exactly the way you want it. Murph became that. We created this lineup where all of a sudden, ‘What happens if Ivan is out of the lineup? Oh [expletive]!’ But at the end of the day, we didn’t expect that. We knew he was good, but to [become] that superstar?”

It remains to be seen what the lineup will ultimately produce. But, as is always the case on the Forty Acres, Pierce needs his pitchers to be locked in and the defense to once again be among the best in the country if the Longhorns are going to add to the program’s NCAA-record number of trips to the College World Series, no matter who's playing behind a pitching staff Pierce oversees in his role as pitching coach.

“At the end of the day, we've got to pitch and you've got to catch the ball,” Pierce said. “You can win 3-2 and then when you hit, you can win a blowout. But those two elements give you a chance to win.” — JEFF HOWE

Powell can play short? Not sure I want to see that