2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

If the umpire deems you continued to argue too long after your ejection and didn’t leave the field quickly enough, they can tack on two games.

Stupid rule.

Oh FFS

This season, every time you think things might start to suck slightly less...

There’s some odd stuff in the RPI.   I don’t think top-40 ish TCU is in over us or are they?

Auburn and their 2-16 conference record is in the 40s.

Notre Dame is 5-16 in conference is top 40.

UCF and their bottom half of the Big 12 record is top 30 because of their non-conference east coast schedule.

OU is 10-10 in non conference.  Got swept by Lamar.  The Lamar that just lost 2 of 3 to TAMUCC.

Rutgers at 3-9 in conference is 12 spots ahead of us.

Quite a few relatively high RPI teams with mediocre to bad conference records.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

There’s some odd stuff in the RPI.   I don’t think top-40 ish TCU is in over us or are they?

Auburn and their 2-16 conference record is in the 40s.

Notre Dame is 5-16 in conference is top 40.

UCF and their bottom half of the Big 12 record is top 30 because of their non-conference east coast schedule.

OU is 10-10 in non conference.  Got swept by Lamar.  The Lamar that just lost 2 of 3 to TAMUCC.

Rutgers at 3-9 in conference is 12 spots ahead of us.

Quite a few relatively high RPI teams with mediocre to bad conference records.

It’s definitely an imperfect formula. OU is being propped up by their wins away from home (sweep at TCU, neutral site wins against Tennessee and Nebraska), which the RPI formula loves. They have also swept 4 conference series which moves you up the RPI ranks quickly even if it is a home sweep.

Most SEC schools have found a way to manipulate RPI by playing pillow soft out of conference schedules so everyone has a high RPI heading into conference play then you just beat up on each other and the losers don’t drop much.

The general rule is you need to be in the 40’s in RPI or higher to get an at large and have an above .500 in conference play. You will see a few 14-16 conference records get in, mainly in the SEC or ACC. The year Ole Miss won it all they got in at 14-16.

Edited by Hookem2147

Im glad Pierce got ran…. such a bullshit call….. Im sure he asked which umpire made the call that ball hit runner or did they let the TCU players make the call… and they wouldnt tell him which ump made the call so he kept going.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Pierce is a dumbass for continuing to bitch after getting tossed.  That's on him.  I get it, asking for review was totally reasonable, but once you're tossed, know the fucking rules you stupid little midget.

As with most rules the NCAA has, it is extremely vague and it is rarely ever applied.

The rule is you can’t continue to “excessively express yourself following an ejection”. That leaves it in the hands of the umpire to determine what “excessive” is. A head coach should be able to make his point as long as he doesn’t make contact with the umpire.

How is what Pierce did excessive but what Jay Johnson did earlier this year not excessive?

Edited by Hookem2147

The fact that it is called inconsistently should make it even more imperative to just take your stupid little handbag and hit the showers.

I'm nowhere near as down on Pierce as most are, but come on, you're tossed.  GTFO

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So, 72 in RPI?  That screams "post-season".

We have 2-3 potential Q1 series left that should boost us. And we don’t have any midweek games in May which eliminates opportunities for Pierce to shoot the team in the foot

Im curious to see how far that trend continues. The current favored metrics provide 0 incentive to play midweek games after mid-March or so

• Hook 'Em 1

… of all the hills for Pierce to die on.

Moreland called it immediately when the ball hit Powell.  The fans wearing orange shades saw it, too.

I can’t imagine what Pierce was arguing over.  If it was for not being called immediately, then I suggest the umpire conference was the proper remedy with video replay deemed unnecessary.  The protocol was reasonable and the decision correct.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it was that no one called it immediately on the field. Stevie Wonder could have seen it hit him, but it not being called on the field, then 3 min goes by because they fucked up, then decide yes it was touched, then no replay to confirm was the jumping off point. It wasn’t that everyone knows it was touched, it was the piss poor way it was handled. 

• Hook 'Em 3

The process used was questionable at best, and when you overturn a run scoring play in the 7th inning of a deciding game of a series for a team and coach trying not to drown, you better be prepared for tempers to flare.

The ball never changed direction or speed as it went by Powell. Moreland claimed he thought it hit him “in the back of the right calf”, but you can’t even see that part of his body in the one grainy replay they showed.

The second base umpire was staring directly at the play, did nothing, then overturned it and kept pointing to his ear like he was saying he could hear it hit him, which goes to the point of why wasn’t it called that way in real time then?

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I think it was that no one called it immediately on the field. Stevie Wonder could have seen it hit him, but it not being called on the field, then 3 min goes by because they fucked up, then decide yes it was touched, then no replay to confirm was the jumping off point. It wasn’t that everyone knows it was touched, it was the piss poor way it was handled. 

The umpire conference appears to have been properly held in compliance with Appendix E, Section 1 (d) & (e) of the NCAA 2023 and 2024 Baseball Rules Book.  Also, whether or not a baserunner is hit by a batted ball is clearly not reviewable under Appendix E, Section 2 (a).  This may have been an oversite by the rules committee since virtually every other base running situation is reviewable, but this play is clearly not reviewable.  If Pierce got heaved because he was arguing for a replay then he needs someone on his staff who knows the rules.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

exactly GIF

They NEVER made a call on the field , THEN had a conference on the mound AFTER Saarloss complained. NONE, nor at least dumbass Demond (umpire on 1st) who's job it is to watch the runner, didn't see it. They blew it and it was right for Pierce to complain and then ask to have them review it. Which they did not cuz there was a never and official call on the play.

My seats are right past first base and we saw that they most likely missed the call ( the ball seemd to change slight direction after going by Powell) . The bitching was the way that this crew handled it. And that was the 3rd missed call by just the first base ump that game, never mind this one, or others. That crew sucked ALL weekend.

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had no problem with Pierce woofing about the need for a review.  I think he's an idiot for continuing after getting tossed.  He damn well should know the possible consequence of doing so.

Can he be fired for cause?

Mainly cause he is ass my dudes!

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Pierce is a dumbass for continuing to bitch after getting tossed.  That's on him.  I get it, asking for review was totally reasonable, but once you're tossed, know the fucking rules you stupid little midget.

Dumb take.

Get your money’s worth especially with such a terrible decision in an important game.

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

exactly GIF

They NEVER made a call on the field , THEN had a conference on the mound AFTER Saarloss complained. NONE, nor at least dumbass Demond (umpire on 1st) who's job it is to watch the runner, didn't see it. They blew it and it was right for Pierce to complain and then ask to have them review it. Which they did not cuz there was a never and official call on the play.

My seats are right past first base and we saw that they most likely missed the call ( the ball seemd to change slight direction after going by Powell) . The bitching was the way that this crew handled it. And that was the 3rd missed call by just the first base ump that game, never mind this one, or others. That crew sucked ALL weekend.

They fucking asked Saarloos if he wanted a review, and then proceeded to tell DP that they can’t review it.

• Rage+1 3

52 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had no problem with Pierce woofing about the need for a review.  I think he's an idiot for continuing after getting tossed.  He damn well should know the possible consequence of doing so.

He was also getting Aaron Boone’s money worth. Forethought. 

9 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Dumb take.

Get your money’s worth especially with such a terrible decision in an important game.

Really?  You think it makes sense to make sure you get tossed for 3 games?

I get the "we're better off w/o him in the dugout" cynicism, but that's not exactly the mindset of a coach.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I get the "we're better off w/o him in the dugout" cynicism, but that's not exactly the mindset of a coach.

He NEEDED to get in their face over that BS and he did. Fired up the crowd and the team. GB was not losing that game after that. And pretty sure he was leaving the field when the Ahole second base ump held up his two fingers. 

It's not like he has been banned from the trip regarding the next two games. He'll still be involved, just not as visible.

Plus, Steve Rod.. has had plenty of experience in coaching D1 programs. I think he can manage the next two games.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think it doesn’t matter that much if he’s tossed for 3 games or not. He’s a baseball manager who doesn’t make the best in game decisions anyway. It’s not like he’s the playcaller for a football team. Baseball is much more about process and preparation than in game management.

I think it’s important for baseball coaches to show fire when need be. This is one of those times. The team is down, it’s a huge game, and the process was a disaster. The fact that this rule relies completely on the discretion of the umpire is ludicrous

18 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

He NEEDED to get in their face over that BS and he did. Fired up the crowd and the team. GB was not losing that game after that. And pretty sure he was leaving the field when the Ahole second base ump held up his two fingers. 

It's not like he has been banned from the trip regarding the next two games. He'll still be involved, just not as visible.

Plus, Steve Rod.. has had plenty of experience in coaching D1 programs. I think he can manage the next two games.

Ding ding.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think it's absurd to judge ex cathedra that "David Pierce sucks so it doesn't matter".  HE doesn't think he sucks, and it should be HIS mindset to not get tossed for two more games.

This isn't that difficult.  Y'all should know better.

I doubt he thought he would get tossed for two more games when rarely are other coaches tossed under those rules.  It was also a turning point in the season for the team.  Losing that game likely means they miss the playoffs.  Need to try something to fire up the team and hopefully light a fire under their asses.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hobbes2702 said:

They fucking asked Saarloos if he wanted a review, and then proceeded to tell DP that they can’t review it.

This is a major problem if this happened.  do we have documentation of it?  my thought is that Saarlac asked for 1st base ump(who has the call) to check with the other umps.  That is the usual process when you argue a call.

Of course, 1B ump can decline to check with others if he wants to.

It is absolutely beyond stupid that you can't review that but you can review a hit batter.  it should be reviewable because it is very easy to rectify if the ball does hit him.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think it's absurd to judge ex cathedra that "David Pierce sucks so it doesn't matter".  HE doesn't think he sucks, and it should be HIS mindset to not get tossed for two more games.

This isn't that difficult.  Y'all should know better.

It’s not even about whether he’s good at in game decisions, that’s such a small amount of what the job is. Him being out of the dugout for a couple games just isn’t a big deal at all. 
His mindset was to get his say in and fire up his team, which was the right mindset. Just because that ump made a really weird decision on a seldom used rule doesn’t make DP the problem here.

There are plenty of things to beat DP over the head for, this just isn’t one of them.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

This is a major problem if this happened.  do we have documentation of it?  my thought is that Saarlac asked for 1st base ump(who has the call) to check with the other umps.  That is the usual process when you argue a call.

It is absolutely beyond stupid that you can't review that but you can review a hit batter.  it should be reviewable because it is very easy to rectify if the ball does hit him.

Maybe it was just the phrasing of what was said. You could see the ump ask Saarloos about review but that def could have been just meaning “hey do want us to talk about it”

34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I sit behind the 3rd base dugout. Immediately after the play as the home plate umpire was walking out to meet with the other umpires he looked at Saarloos and did the hands over his ears as if to ask if he wanted to review it.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I sit behind the 3rd base dugout. Immediately after the play as the home plate umpire was walking out to meet with the other umpires he looked at Saarloos and did the hands over his ears as if to ask if he wanted to review it.

interesting.  the whole thing is a clusterfuck.  bet that ump assumed it was reviewable and another ump told him it wasn't and then they did the ump scrum.  Is the rule a Big 12 conf rule or an NCAA baseball rule for reviews?

40 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s not even about whether he’s good at in game decisions, that’s such a small amount of what the job is. Him being out of the dugout for a couple games just isn’t a big deal at all. 
His mindset was to get his say in and fire up his team, which was the right mindset. Just because that ump made a really weird decision on a seldom used rule doesn’t make DP the problem here.

There are plenty of things to beat DP over the head for, this just isn’t one of them.

DIsagree.  Let's move on.

19 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

They fucking better. Zeke and Zonk are the best in the business. I like Craig way but would rather keep the two baseball brains together.

They are great, but not ideal for radio. One of them (or both, but $), as color, but Craig needs to be PBP.