NBA 2023-24 Off Season

Fastbreak

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

And there were some people who thought the Cavs didn't give KPJ enough chances or that the Rockets got a steal when they picked him up for nothing.

But I'll always be thankful for KPJ because his presence on the Rockets led to Houston drafting Green instead of Mobley.

Wouldn’t spike that football yet. Mobley is a max contract player that will never win a thing. Soft big men don’t lead title teams. They better find two stars for him to coattail 

13 hours ago, Message Board User said:

And there were some people who thought the Cavs didn't give KPJ enough chances or that the Rockets got a steal when they picked him up for nothing.

But I'll always be thankful for KPJ because his presence on the Rockets led to Houston drafting Green instead of Mobley.

I'm not sure I'm following this. What does KPJ have to do with the Rockets drafting Green over Mobley? 

10 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Wouldn’t spike that football yet. Mobley is a max contract player that will never win a thing. Soft big men don’t lead title teams. They better find two stars for him to coattail 

And I'm definitely not following this. You're saying that the Rockets are better off with Green than Mobley? You'd rather have a one dimensional inefficient chucker than a freak of nature, 5 position switchable defender who doesn't need any plays called for him and still averages 17 ppg? 

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm not sure I'm following this. What does KPJ have to do with the Rockets drafting Green over Mobley? 

KPJ was at USC when Mobley's dad was on the USC staff.

The Mobley family was well aware of KPJ's personality and knew what an asshole he was from back then.  So the Mobley family made it very clear pre-draft that that they wanted nothing to do with a Rockets team that featured KPJ.  

I suppose Houston could have (should have) drafted Mobley anyway but they went with Green instead.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:15 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Look at Nostradamus over here, writing Mobley off at the age of 22 after two seasons in the league and already NBA All-Defensive first team. I guess he can move on with his life and enter broadcasting or maybe buy a farm. 

26 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Look at Nostradamus over here, writing Mobley off at the age of 22 after two seasons in the league and already NBA All-Defensive first team. I guess he can move on with his life and enter broadcasting or maybe buy a farm. 

Not writing off. Just saying he’s a role player in the playoffs. A better version of Ayton. 

On 9/16/2023 at 12:49 AM, UpperWestside said:

Saw that Vanderbilt was given a four year extension by the Purple and Gold. 12 million a season sounds about right for him.

Pelinka seems to have figured out how team building works.   He's done a pretty great job the last 10 mos or so

7 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

Weird. Not sure Nurk is any sort of upgrade over Ayton, but I guess the Suns are bolstering depth here.

Feels like POR not getting enough for a top 5 guy in franchise history.

I know many are down on Ayton but I think he can still be something.   They get him on a decent deal to pair with their young guards and then will try and flip Jrue again to get more.

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

This deal is awful for Milwaukee.

I think Portland easily got the best of it. While Phoenix got the depth it needed, for a guy that wasn't in their playoff rotation much.

How? They barely gave up anything.   Jrue, Grayson Allen and a 1st is not much to upgrade a position.   And I love Jrue but what Jimmy did to him in that series signed his death cert.   He was the defensive stopper.   If he cant stop AND he's struggling to score, he becomes useless.   

2 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

which guy are you talking about?

LOL

Edited by d2o

I can't tell if this is a good trade for everyone, or a bad trade for everyone.

Respect to the Bucks for going all in though. They gave up one FRP, two swaps, that tool Grayson Allen, and an aging Jrue for an aging Lillard. They had already unloaded picks to get Jrue, now they have really mortgaged the future. But they prove to Giannis that they are committed to winning, which presumably keeps him in the fold so that's pretty much worth it. Until it isn't, at least.

Phoenix unloads the overpaid and under performing disinterested Ayton for depth. Nurkic is a net negative on a bad contract. Not a great return for Phoenix on a guy who was drafted ahead of Luka. The Suns are going to be horrible defensively.

And that's the best you could do, Portland? Whatever the Heat were offering must have been dog shit. Is this the rebuild you were looking for? I don't see why they didn't wait a bit longer. I assume Holiday gets traded again, right? He certainly isn't a part of that rebuild although they could definitely use the veteran presence. Ayton makes a little bit of sense, I suppose, if you are taking a flyer and buying low. He gets a fresh start and once Portland gets rid of Holiday, that contract is a lot more palatable.

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I can't tell if this is a good trade for everyone, or a bad trade for everyone.

Respect to the Bucks for going all in though. They gave up one FRP, two swaps, that tool Grayson Allen, and an aging Jrue for an aging Lillard. They had already unloaded picks to get Jrue, now they have really mortgaged the future. But they prove to Giannis that they are committed to winning, which presumably keeps him in the fold so that's pretty much worth it. Until it isn't, at least.

Phoenix unloads the overpaid and under performing disinterested Ayton for depth. Nurkic is a net negative on a bad contract. Not a great return for Phoenix on a guy who was drafted ahead of Luka. The Suns are going to be horrible defensively.

And that's the best you could do, Portland? Whatever the Heat were offering must have been dog shit. Is this the rebuild you were looking for? I don't see why they didn't wait a bit longer. I assume Holiday gets traded again, right? He certainly isn't a part of that rebuild although they could definitely use the veteran presence. Ayton makes a little bit of sense, I suppose, if you are taking a flyer and buying low. He gets a fresh start and once Portland gets rid of Holiday, that contract is a lot more palatable.

yeah they definitely are not keeping Jrue.   I saw one report saying the deal hadnt been finalized as they were trying to get another team in to take Jrue.    We will see.

I'm not SURE I would rather have Dame than Jrue Holiday. Jrue is a 1st team all-defensive player and great teammate. He also only commands 25% usage vs. Lillard's 34%.  Dude is underrated AF.

But this tells Giannis you are serious about winning, regardless of how it turns out on the court.

34 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Giving up Jrue for Dame is terrible. He was your pit bull.

I think Milwaukee, like many teams that have been to the mountaintop, decided to shake things up to try to get back there. I personally would not be enamored to get a guy on the downslope of his career that is being paid as much as he is, but perhaps it will convince Giannis to stay. Lillard can score, but to this point in his career it has mostly been in meaningless games. Milwaukee had to try something. If it doesn’t work out they just go back to being the Milwaukee that Richard Jefferson was once pissed to be traded to because it was considered a backwater destination to have to live in. 

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Nice trade that i didnt see coming. Kinda works for everyone and Portland can use Jrue in another trade if they're comfortable with what they have.

I would assume that he finds his way to a contender by the trade deadline. He is not going to stay to be a mentor for guys who won’t have any real chance of winning for at least 4 years or so.

53 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Haha.

Milwaukee starting 5 avg is is gonna be like 33

Gianni’s will be the youngest starter by 5 years if they start Jae at the 3.

The Jae Crowder who couldnt even get on the floor in the playoffs??   You think they are going into a season starting him??  LOL

Boy, Milwaukee really panicked after the first round loss to Miami. In reality, the series seems like more of a fluke. Giannis got hurt 10 minutes into game 1, didn't play in games 2 and 3, and then game 5 was a trip to the twilight zone where he shot 10/23 from the line and the whole team lost its composure. And it doesn't look as bad in hindsight considering how good Miami really was.

But they apparently thought they needed a major overhaul. They had the best record in the league last season and are two years removed from a championship. Instead, they shitcanned Bud and are unloading Holiday who seemed to be the heart and soul of that squad. Granted, Lillard is Lillard, but... he's not without his warts.

I don't understand why teams don't take a longer view of things. They owe the Pelicans first round picks and swaps from the Holiday trade in 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027. Now they owe the Blazers swaps and picks for 2028, 2029 and 2030 (I think). Yikes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Boy, Milwaukee really panicked after the first round loss to Miami. In reality, the series seems like more of a fluke. Giannis got hurt 10 minutes into game 1, didn't play in games 2 and 3, and then game 5 was a trip to the twilight zone where he shot 10/23 from the line and the whole team lost its composure. And it doesn't look as bad in hindsight considering how good Miami really was.

But they apparently thought they needed a major overhaul. They had the best record in the league last season and are two years removed from a championship. Instead, they shitcanned Bud and are unloading Holiday who seemed to be the heart and soul of that squad. Granted, Lillard is Lillard, but... he's not without his warts.

I don't understand why teams don't take a longer view of things. They owe the Pelicans first round picks and swaps from the Holiday trade in 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027. Now they owe the Blazers swaps and picks for 2028, 2029 and 2030 (I think). Yikes.

Meh, to be fair Bud should have been fired years ago.  Winning the title just made them have to keep him.   Trading one guy isnt some major overhaul.   I LOVE Jrue but he was supposed to be a stopper.   Jimmy Butler took his soul and then he couldnt score at all.   Dame aint gonna defend like Jrue but he aint gonna ever not be able to score.

Pick swaps are MASSIVELY overrated.   They dont mean shit when barring a MASSIVE disaster the Bucks wont be near the lottery anytime soon.   And if worse comes to worse they can always trade Giannis and recoup quite a few picks.  I know the swaps are a relatively new thing but when has one panned out to allow a team that is very good take some bottom feeder team's pick?

Portland was never going to get a king's ransom for Dame - in fact I think they did as well as could be reasonably expected when you consider this:

Salary  
Player Age 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26 2026-27     Guaranteed
Damian Lillard 33 $45,640,084 $48,787,676 $58,545,211 $63,228,828     $152,972,97