2023 College World Series

Horny Bull

14 minutes ago, Dewey said:

LSU might want to take a knee when they get the ball back. Just end it. Hope they're out of pitchers, but doubt it, they'll probably pull a tight end out of their ass who throws 100 mph seeds. 

They’re throwing the best pitcher the college game has seen maybe ever tomorrow. I think they feel just fine.

Game 3 of the 2023 Men's College World Series championship is set.  Monday's series finale is at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN.

An extra-innings loss on Saturday night to No. 5 LSU could have taken its toll on No. 2 Florida, but the Gators bounced back in spectacular fashion, hitting six home runs Sunday en route to a 24-4 victory over the Tigers.

Ty Evans had two homers, one of which was the first grand slam in MCWS finals history, Wyatt Langford hit a three-run homer, Jac Caglianone registered two of his own HRs, and BT Riopelle had a ninth-inning blast as the final cherry on top.

If Florida wins Game 3, it would be the Gators' first title since 2019, but if LSU wins, it would be the Tigers' first title since 2009.

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He’s debateably the best pitcher the college game has ever seen, or at least the best college prospect. Obviously most of the very best prospects ever didn’t go to college 

That’s fair. Certainly the best since at least Strasburg.

I misinterpreted your point in the first one. Swindell is the greatest college pitcher of all time imo. But that wasn’t your point really. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Fuck L$U, that’s all I got. 

Not a bad play, anytime. 

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Does corn dog have anyone left to back up Skenes if he can't go go CG?

He will likely keep us scoreless for five or six innings.   Since he will throw strikes and get us out anyway, we might as well swing for the fences and see what happens.   One or two runs in the first five or six may be the difference if we can keep them under 5 runs and the bats come alive late.  

Gators sure as shit or not scoring 24 tomorrow against that guy.    

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

Not a bad play, anytime. 

He will likely keep us scoreless for five or six innings.   Since he will throw strikes and get us out anyway, we might as well swing for the fences and see what happens.   One or two runs in the first five or six may be the difference if we can keep them under 5 runs and the bats come alive late.  

Gators sure as shit or not scoring 24 tomorrow against that guy.    

“Jactani” better bring it tomorrow. He’s been wildly unimpressive this CWS, 2 homers today aside.

Looks like 24 runs is the most runs ever scored by any team in the College World Series, finals or no.

No matter what happens tomorrow, we did manage to drag our nuts across their face in historic fashion and put LSU in the record book - sort of now to the end of time I’d expect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Does corn dog have anyone left to back up Skenes if he can't go go CG?

Thatcher Hurd is a stud who finished the WF game, 47 pitches on Thurs,  Skenes 120.

Florida's Caglianone threw vs TCU on Wed (85 pitches)   Problem is he has a 85-52 K/BB ratio.    Not good.

• Hook 'Em 2

Skenes on 3 days rest with all the pitches has to be coming out of the pen. If he isn’t starting Florida needs to try and pounce early and make him less relevant.

LSU also has the Southlake kid Herring who came in and dealt 4 and 2/3 scoreless and picked up the win against Wake last Wednesday.

Worst thing Florida could do is get to the 6th or 7th not having faced Skenes and be more than a run behind. That’s getting the door slammed in your face time.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, gatormarc said:

Internet joke from an Auburn message board (I think) 15-20 years ago.

It's one of those things that stuck because it makes no real sense but it was written as an extensive piece. Like the guy wrote a full page on the topic.

I’ve always found it ironic it came from an Auburn fan. 

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, I quit watching after the 5th.  Did UF really turn it on (kinda had to I guess), or just feast on meat?

Either way, it's a big shot in the arm, I'd think, but they seemed pretty moribund for about 13-14 innings there.

If moribund means “donkey ass”, you nailed it.  This was a weird series, with our best hitters in slumps and our pedestrians upping their game and getting us to the finals.  

We played South Carolina three times before the regional, and they killed us - swept the series and embarrassed us.  Naturally, we drew South Carolina in the super regional, after struggling to get out of our regional from the losers bracket.  That turned out not to be a problem, with an 0-2 & barbecue. 

Man, do I want to win tomorrow, but if we come up short, this has been an incredible season, and I’m very very proud of the effort they’ve showed. 

Edited by Gatorubet

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

once you decided to save your arms for tomorrow, it was what it was. 

You're f'n LS&U though.  I mean even the scrubs should be able to keep a game under 15 runs.  

I guess the drop-off from the mercenaries to the pine sitters is pretty fuckin' steep.

I normally hate taking the same team who demolishes, crushes, incinerates, obliterates, fucks a team's mom, but I think Florida could easily hit tomorrow.

But on the other hand... Shit. Colorado just won 4-3 against the Angels a day after losing 25-1. I'm just so use to seeing the same team from the day before rake, lose it the next day, that you gotta take LSU for no analytical reason. And I don't want to, my cousin in law was catcher/DH on the 2011-2012 teams for LSU. Would rather a team in Florida win and not a neighboring state.

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Skenes on 3 days rest with all the pitches has to be coming out of the pen. If he isn’t starting Florida needs to try and pounce early and make him less relevant.

LSU also has the Southlake kid Herring who came in and dealt 4 and 2/3 scoreless and picked up the win against Wake last Wednesday.

Worst thing Florida could do is get to the 6th or 7th not having faced Skenes and be more than a run behind. That’s getting the door slammed in your face time.

Skenes has not come out of the bullpen all year.  Skenes may not be the same pitcher he has been during his last couple of games...of course, he could be the same or better.

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, I quit watching after the 5th.  Did UF really turn it on (kinda had to I guess), or just feast on meat?

Either way, it's a big shot in the arm, I'd think, but they seemed pretty moribund for about 13-14 innings there.

LSU coach/team quit when they got behind by 8-9 runs.  LSU brings in the bottom of the pitching barrel and is pounded into submission.  Saved their best arms for manana.

Skenes has not come out of the bullpen all year.  Skenes may not be the same pitcher he has been during his last couple of games...of course, he could be the same or better.

True but if he starts on 3 days rest with pitches he has put on his arm of late and gets run quickly the psychological impact could be magnified.

It is an interesting conundrum.

Hope they fuck it up.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

True but if he starts on 3 days rest with pitches he has put on his arm of late and gets run quickly the psychological impact could be magnified.

It is an interesting conundrum.

Hope they fuck it up.

It will be interesting...start Skenes or hold him for a few innings, then bring him in...of course, if LSU gets a decent lead, they may not need him.  If the game is close or LSU gets behind early, I'd look for Skenes to make his appearance.  LSU has won 6 National Championships....same as the Horns....so, I'd prefer Florida prevent a 7th for the "tigahs"!

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 2