Sam Bankman-Fried (SBF) crypto exchange FTX

Zeus

Moving this out of the Elon thread... most of the stories about who he was paying off to influence crypto regulators are around the December timeframe where there are records that show he donated $40M to D but also said he donated an equal amount to R in dark money. This article talks about where the $50M in dark money went.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/20/sam-bankman-fried-ftx-allies-donated-millions-in-dark-money.html

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Elizabeth Holmes had one of the bigger cases of crazy eyes I've ever seen.  It's difficult to believe that so many people bought what she was selling just on that alone.  

The other part about all this is that at one point this guy was worth billions, and he was laying pipe to Caroline Ellison?  While he was busy criming I found it a bit odd he wasn't blowing it on normal dumb guy shit like cocaine and knockout whores.  

Take away the money, he was hitting it with the exact woman we would expect.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Elizabeth Holmes had one of the bigger cases of crazy eyes I've ever seen.  It's difficult to believe that so many people bought what she was selling just on that alone.  

The other part about all this is that at one point this guy was worth billions, and he was laying pipe to Caroline Ellison?  While he was busy criming I found it a bit odd he wasn't blowing it on normal dumb guy shit like cocaine and knockout whores.  

i'm poor and i've spent more on cocaine and hotter hookers than Ellison. Ellison is the girl i take home when the lights come on at the bar

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, FartingMonk said:

i'm poor and i've spent more on cocaine and hotter hookers than Ellison. Ellison is the girl i take home when the lights come on at the bar

I'll be honest, I sort of feel bad for her, not because what she did and all that, but because she is so unfortunate looking.  I realize that's extremely superficial, but in this instance, I'm ok with be labeled that way.  

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I'll be honest, I sort of feel bad for her, not because what she did and all that, but because she is so unfortunate looking.  I realize that's extremely superficial, but in this instance, I'm ok with be labeled that way.  

Dude..  she's a 6 pack.  Tall boys

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

Don’t. She sucks extremely hard as a person too.

• Hook 'Em 4

43 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

He was always painting his efforts as part of the Effective Altruism philosophy which at root is just pure greed is fine as long as you say you’re doing good. Just more cult speak. I hope his ass is prolapsed from prison rape by Thanksgiving.

This.  Our country has a bad case of "but see, what I want to do is good and right, and therefore it's okay and either is legal or should be legal so I can disregard the laws."  The problem is, that all rests on a foundation of "I, and I alone, decided that what I want to do is good and right."

It's how you end up with a mass of people smashing their way into the Capitol to hang Mike Pence and kill Pelosi -- "we're just trying to save America, so what we're doing is ok!"  

The problem is.....what if, and just work with me here, what you want is NOT actually something that's good and right?

Fucking narcissist hubris, all the way around.  That's the dominant ethos of our time, and we're paying the price.  But I guess the good thing is that a few of them (see SBF) are paying the price, too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, BamaATL said:

She's going to be fine. She going to do her easy time. She's going to get out, land a job, do a book deal land make her money.

Edited by Captain Ron

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

That was the whole crypto/stock market mentality at the time.  Close your eyes and always pick the right winner because it didn't matter what you picked.  You were always the winner. 

Nah, it was basic greed and a desire to get a ton of money. The US Prosecutor Damian Williams said it best:

"The crypto industry might be new, the players like Sam Bankman-Fried may be new, but this kind of fraud is as old as time..."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/3/2023 at 11:32 AM, Captain Ron said:

It was the:

• "I'm not going to get caught"
  • "I can use this money because I am going to make so much more money, so I'll be able to put it back" 

mind set

Lewis's book details that they actually "lost" $4B for awhile and SBF's response was repeatedly "It will eventually turn up."   And it did -- it was in a Singapore bank because some wire had been sent without detailed documentation or something like that. 

He wasn't expecting to get caught because he didn't think he was doing anything wrong.    Second bullet is pretty accurate.

7 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I still think it is bizarre that he hyphenates his name Bankman-Fried (father/mother) rather than the normal way you see hyphenated names.  

They do look alike though.

63a5a5ddcda67600185309ab?width=1000&form

They never married in solidarity with LGBQT colleagues.

Dad is a fairly normal lookin dude.  He apparenltly is both a respected scholar and a wildly popular professor.  I think she's just the former. Academic romances/relationships, man.

Joseph-Bankman.jpg

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 11/6/2023 at 10:21 PM, TwiceHorn said:

They never married in solidarity with LGBQT colleagues.

Dad is a fairly normal lookin dude.  He apparenltly is both a respected scholar and a wildly popular professor.  I think she's just the former. Academic romances/relationships, man.

Joseph-Bankman.jpg

Both the father and mother deserve to be in prison also. They’re currently being sued by the feds to return something like $25M of stolen money that was given or “loaned” to them.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/6/2023 at 2:55 PM, hullabelew said:

I still think it is bizarre that he hyphenates his name Bankman-Fried (father/mother) rather than the normal way you see hyphenated names.  

They do look alike though.

63a5a5ddcda67600185309ab?width=1000&form

I ran into her clone once during my waiter stint. Big Damn Deal about why she couldn't get the Saturday Special on Sunday. The sort of thing where I could maybe have snuck it through the system as a favor, but she was going to browbeat me into it.

Didn't happen. By Crom, I held the power THAT day.

• Haha 3

• 4 months later...
On 11/9/2023 at 6:56 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I ran into her clone once during my waiter stint. Big Damn Deal about why she couldn't get the Saturday Special on Sunday. The sort of thing where I could maybe have snuck it through the system as a favor, but she was going to browbeat me into it.

Didn't happen. By Crom, I held the power THAT day.

So what exactly does it feel like to drag your nuts across a plate of eggs Benedict?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

So what exactly does it feel like to drag your nuts across a plate of eggs Benedict?

Word of advice: do it BEFORE you top them with hollandaise, because cleaning hollandaise off your sack in the middle of your shift is a hassle.

Or so I hear.

7 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Bad customers were beneath retaliation. Bad customers were blocking good customers from sitting at my tables, so if somebody wanted to act snotty, I wasn't going to fuck with their food, I was going to wham-bam-thank-you-maam them out the door clutching a go-plate. Zen out, send in the tippers.

19 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Bad customers were beneath retaliation. Bad customers were blocking good customers from sitting at my tables, so if somebody wanted to act snotty, I wasn't going to fuck with their food, I was going to wham-bam-thank-you-maam them out the door clutching a go-plate. Zen out, send in the tippers.

In my experience, the worst of those customers slowed shit down by first undertaking an ostentatious public prayer with arms upraised, then taking the time to be abusive to every staff member who dared walk within 20 feet of them.  You knew they would 1) be abusive as shit, 2) overstay their welcome, and 3) tip for shit.  Made me wish I had a jar of wet shit ready to apply to all of their food.

Bitches like SBF's mom would have left a "tip" of a note saying "invest in my son's crypto business."  Got a few of those, except they were usually of the variety that said "your tip today is the good news that Jesus Christ is your lord and savior."  I'd have been better off with a crypto investment tip.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

In my experience, the worst of those customers slowed shit down by first undertaking an ostentatious public prayer with arms upraised, then taking the time to be abusive to every staff member who dared walk within 20 feet of them.  You knew they would 1) be abusive as shit, 2) overstay their welcome, and 3) tip for shit.  Made me wish I had a jar of wet shit ready to apply to all of their food.

Bitches like SBF's mom would have left a "tip" of a note saying "invest in my son's crypto business."  Got a few of those, except they were usually of the variety that said "your tip today is the good news that Jesus Christ is your lord and savior."  I'd have been better off with a crypto investment tip.

I was working off-the-books for a South American family who'd bought out a Sicilian place. Got no pay but decent tips, free beer and food, still lost weight. When we had drama, it was after-hours like when somebody shot a rifle from inside the bar to see if the bullet would go through the wall. It did, and through the wall of the neighboring camera place, but at a high angle and they were closed.

Handshake deals all around.

I saw one brawl there, dude with a busted head, blood on the floor. Cops showed up and told everybody to go home in different directions.

The owner would have ejected ostentatious prayers before they got to the second use of "just."

• Like 1