"I’m on Threads" meta thread

'stache

33 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

We need Bluesky. Come on Dorsey, get your shit together. 

bluesky still being in the "must have invites" area this long after it was launched...and still only giving out a couple of invites per person is lame as hell.

they are going to struggle at this rate.

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ll admit I was wrong once again. 

It couldn’t even make it 2 months.

i've never quite met someone who likes doubling, tripling and quadrupling down on actual terrible takes more than you.

its the #2 downloaded app on the iphone right now, at this very second. for comparison, tiktok is #5, insta is #8, FB is #14, snap is #15, redddit is #30, and X is #46.

but sure it's a flash in the pan and "won't make 3 months" lol

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

i've never quite met someone who likes doubling, tripling and quadrupling down on actual terrible takes more than you.

its the #2 downloaded app on the iphone right now, at this very second. for comparison, tiktok is #5, insta is #8, FB is #14, snap is #15, redddit is #30, and X is #46.

but sure it's a flash in the pan and "won't make 3 months" lol

Yeah, it's not just going to fade into Bolivian, but at the same time, as a new app the download numbers are going to give it a push that apps people already own won't get.  

38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yup, losing 80% of users from when it first came out is definitely a recipe for success

it doesn't matter if 99% of its users delete their account and never use the app again, it still means this didn't happen:

Just more flash in the pan shit that won’t make it 3 months

it isn't going to close down or not "make it 3 months", moron.

no one is happier to post dumb shit on the internet than you.

and no one is happier to double and triple down than you.

you really are a unicorn. typically, people don't love going out of their way to ensure that everyone around them knows they are a dumbass at as many opportunities as possible...but not you!

• Hook 'Em 3

Is there a setting to make your timeline chronological? Mine is still just a mishmash of bullshit. 24 hrs ago, 2 days ago, 1 hour ago, 4 days ago. I read up thread that the algorithm was updated to make the timeline chronological so I check in every week or so but it's still the same bs. I did not see anything in settings. 

Is there a setting to make your timeline chronological? Mine is still just a mishmash of bullshit. 24 hrs ago, 2 days ago, 1 hour ago, 4 days ago. I read up thread that the algorithm was updated to make the timeline chronological so I check in every week or so but it's still the same bs. I did not see anything in settings. 

Double tap the logo and switch from “For You” to “Following”
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Zuck says search coming soon 

https://www.threads.net/@zuck/post/Cwm6qX_LL_M

Yep, in testing:

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/CwnNTU1LUA7

Excited to test keyword search in Australia and New Zealand starting today. The plan is to roll it out in other English-speaking countries soon after that, and we're working to add more languages ASAP. If you’re part of the test, try it out and let us know your feedback

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

i know they expedited the release to coincide with twitter shitting the bed and are working on getting the more fully fledged feature set out as quickly as possible but they are fucking up if people aren't easily able to embed threads across the internet in time for football

Hard to see this thing being an entrenched "Twitter killer" the longer this goes on and the more people fade from the platform. Time kills deals.

• Fuck You 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, animaltobacco11 said:

Hard to see this thing being an entrenched "Twitter killer" the longer this goes on and the more people fade from the platform. Time kills deals.

If it keeps improving and Musk becomes more and more of an asshole, I think it can still work out for threads.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/1/2023 at 11:24 AM, animaltobacco11 said:

It took twitter 2.5 years to have a celebrity with over a million followers (think it was Ashton Kuchter in 2009).  There's multiple Threads users with a million followers already.

Is Threads going to replace Twitter as the 15th or 16th most popular social media platform in the world? Not right away. 

However, they are down to just a couple of features that are needed for a lot of people to fully bail, and Musk is doing his best to help twitter to shed users with the anti-Jewish stuff.  Which, by the way, it's a fantastic strategy to blame the Jews for his advertising woes, I'm sure there are no Jewish people working in marketing or in positions of power over marketing.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It took twitter 2.5 years to have a celebrity with over a million followers (think it was Ashton Kuchter in 2009).  There's multiple Threads users with a million followers already.

Is Threads going to replace Twitter as the 15th or 16th most popular social media platform in the world? Not right away. 

However, they are down to just a couple of features that are needed for a lot of people to fully bail, and Musk is doing his best to help twitter to shed users with the anti-Jewish stuff.  Which, by the way, it's a fantastic strategy to blame the Jews for his advertising woes, I'm sure there are no Jewish people working in marketing or in positions of power over marketing.

On the flip side, if this doesn't come to fruition, and Twitter remains the de facto place to do whatever Twitter does, then the network effect is much stronger than anyone could possibly imagine. We're essentially watching an organization try to light itself on fire.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Read an interesting opinion piece which basically said that Zuck/Meta doesn't want to step into the void that Twitter/X has created, which has been highlighted by the disaster that has been X this week with the Israel/Palestine War.

Threads’ golden opportunity is here — Meta doesn’t seem too interested in taking it

Apps grow up so fast these days.

Meta launched Threads (AKA Instagram but for words) just three months ago, yet the platform’s already facing existential questions like, “What’s its purpose?”

This week, as X stumbled hard and the world scrambled for reliable information on the Israel-Hamas crisis, Threads stood out as the most promising Twitter successor.

Threads has a 100m+ user base to build on.

Competitors Mastodon and Bluesky carry buzz, but still lack, y’know, people. (Mastodon has ~1.8m monthly users; Bluesky has ~1m.)

Threads’ newest features — trending topics and expanded search — better mimic Twitter.

Except there’s one thing in the way…

… Meta doesn’t seem to want Threads to become the breaking news platform.

Consider:

Instagram boss Adam Mosseri told The Verge hard news isn't “worth the scrutiny, negativity… or integrity risks” for Threads.

Mosseri sees it as a “less angry” platform, echoed by Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s desire for “a more positive, friendly” vibe.

A sanitized platform is what they wanted and it’s what they’ve got; Threads has blocked search terms like “covid,” “long covid,” and “vaccination,” per The Washington Post.

Why so afraid?

There’s internal conflict about news’ place on Meta platforms, per The Information, and, well, that’s actually fair:

Anti-news: Meta has been burned here before, plus news isn’t brand-friendly and doesn’t maximize profits. Quite the opposite, in fact: handling it responsibly can be costly, requiring mechanisms to vet sources and compensate journalists, for starters.

Pro-news: It’s a risky business prospect, sure — but in social media, being relevant can’t happen without being current. Serving a live-news function, per Platformer, offers Threads one “singular benefit: giving the app an enduring, defensible, existential purpose.”

Celeb-sponsored content boosts Meta’s stock price, but it doesn’t offer users any reason to keep coming back. Leaning into news could.

Bottom line for Meta: It’s decision time — build a vibrant (but sometimes “angry”) platform with upside, or play it safe and risk winding up with another defunct product.

The latter’s already on track: Threads had 49.3m daily active users on Android in July; that’s now down to 8.6m. (And we can tell you right now: the 40.7m people who’ve left aren’t hanging with Zuck in his metaverse either.)

https://thehustle.co/threads--golden-opportunity-is-here---meta-doesn-t-seem-too-interested-in-taking-it/

53 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I'm on Threads daily... engagement definitely trending up and I see new users coming on frequently.

I'm starting to see it trend up as well. They've made upsets on the server side and in the client in the past few days, and I haven't even looked to see what it was, but need to.

I'm starting to see it trend up as well. They've made upsets on the server side and in the client in the past few days, and I haven't even looked to see what it was, but need to.

Press and hold on a thread with multiple mentions like the one below and you can quickly follow everyone mentioned. Very nice for follow Friday posts

https://www.threads.net/@aaronparnas/post/CwqXVfFupat/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

They keep adding features (they are improving some things on Instagram that may impact/help Threads) and it seems like they are slightly starting to get that Facebook, Instagram, and Threads can have three different audiences (that overlap), but they fucking need hashtags on threads, and there's arguments for and against (they want to make sure that people aren't abusing the shit out of them like they do on twitter.

This was interesting:

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/Cy1rb6TPfXY

Today at Meta’s earnings, @zuck mentioned that there are just under 100M monthly actives for Threads. A heartfelt thank you for being a part of this growing community. We’re working on more updates to improve your experience, looking forward to building together.

Here's a long-ish AMA thread, where he talks about what they test, how long they test (depends on how in-demand the feature is, and how much it impacts the system, etc.) as well as moderation

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/Cyq31D7PCvP

Still want hashtags.  Edit, polls, gifs, voice threads are the new features from past two weeks, which is a lot for a big-ass platform, but need fucking hashtags.

Lots of Threads updates:

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/Cy4PWLFPCMI

New tests on Threads 👨‍💻 First, we’re testing a way to show view counts on Threads posts, to see if it’s a helpful measure to understand whether the post is resonating with your community. Second, we’re testing a way for you to pin a post to your profile, or pin a reply to your post – tap "pin to profile" or "pin reply" in the 3-dot menu. Both tests are live now for a small number of people.

View counts are interesting as I think if we were shipping Instagram, or Facebook, today, we would probably have them. They give people a better sense of their reach, and generally more feedback is a good thing.

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/Cy37Yf5vB53

Excited to bring you all two new ways to spark a conversation on Threads: polls and GIFs. With polls, you can invite others to weigh in on the topics you care about. And it’s now easier to find and add the right GIF to express what you’re feeling. If you have any other features you’d like to see, reply and let us know.

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/Cy6PkV7vlU5

“What do you think ‘success’ looks like for threads in one year?”

- to be the de facto platform for public conversations

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/Cy6PtMBPI-I

“Do you think hashtags will be important in Threads?”

- He thinks a lot of people request it, that some find it important, but that it won't "meaningfully" change the trajectory of Threads (it's clear from his long answer that hashtags are coming)

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/Cy6QCq0xTfm

“How much are you going to focus on web features on threads?”

- It's not the primary focus as most people use the mobile apps, but the power users with an outsized influence use it, so they are working on it.

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/Cy6QK4BRngk

“What are you working on right now that's giving you energy?”

- bunch of bullshit corporate synergy speak about getting teams (Instagram, Threads, etc.) working together

Finally, somebody brought up them hitting around 100 million users/accounts, and Moserri said some stuff about future efforts:

We appreciate the vote of confidence, but we have lots more to do and need to be careful not to be too confident. I'm hoping we can land support for Europe, early Fediverse progress, better Instagram integrations, and trends in the next few months. It'll be telling to see if these build even more momentum.

Edited by atomheartbevo

• 2 weeks later...

Last night Threads really performed well with election coverage... was able to stay on top of everything without the unhinged masses piling on.  It was really nice.  Its also been great for staying updated on (how to make this non-CR) current events re: judicial proceedings in Manhattan. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Last night Threads really performed well with election coverage... was able to stay on top of everything without the unhinged masses piling on.  It was really nice.  Its also been great for staying updated on (how to make this non-CR) current events re: judicial proceedings in Manhattan. 

Plus it was a good way to find new Follows

• 2 weeks later...

Pinned posts are now live to everyone – you can pin a reply to your post, or pin one of your posts to your profile. Tap on the three-dot menu above a post to try it out and let us know what you think

Second: We recently introduced a feature that makes it easy for people to see Threads posts directly on Facebook and Instagram, to help expand your audience and grow your reach. We heard feedback that you want more control over the experience, so we’re rolling out a way to opt out of being featured outside Threads in Settings → Privacy.

More Q&A stuff with the head of threads

https://www.threads.net/@mosseri/post/CzPO6GKPCpy

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

This morning they launched the keyword search live, everywhere.

Good News Yes GIF by Bounce

Today, we’re expanding keyword search everywhere Threads is available. This feature is supported in all languages – we hope this makes it easier to find and join conversations you’re interested in. More improvements are coming to search soon,

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Noticed that Threads added polls, as well.  They just keep quietly rolling out features.  

Yeah, development feels slow, especially given their resources and they are piggybacking off of Instagram's developers/codebase, but every week or two there are new features, with other features currently in testing.  

I think there is growth both in the userbase (I'm seeing new faces all the time), but I'm also seeing some folks who jumped on it early on, but then went dormant, and are now back.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, development feels slow, especially given their resources and they are piggybacking off of Instagram's developers/codebase, but every week or two there are new features, with other features currently in testing.  

I think there is growth both in the userbase (I'm seeing new faces all the time), but I'm also seeing some folks who jumped on it early on, but then went dormant, and are now back.

Yup... seeing people starting to embrace it. 

The vibe in general is not as toxic and after everyone's Xitter experience you find people are much quicker to block or mute the crazies