USWNT 2023: Journey to a 5th Star

pacman

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

deserved to lose that game

I don't know. We had plenty of good chances. We were the better side overall just played tight and blew a lot of shit in the box. 

I might agree we could or should have lost that game - but not sure we deserved to necessarily. 

• Haha 1

Hate to say it, but Portugal deserved better. Glad we advanced, but having residency in Portugal too I'm a bit disappointed they couldn't have gone through as well. They played solid in all three matches.

Hope there are some changes going into the knockouts or Sweden is going to feast on this team.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ztejas said:

I don't know. We had plenty of good chances. We were the better side overall just played tight and blew a lot of shit in the box. 

I might agree we could or should have lost that game - but not sure we deserved to necessarily. 

What did we do better? Morgan could not hit the target. We got all cute with little passes. Our defense could not break up the counter. 

We were saved post. And the Portuguese fans are going to have more fun today than ours. 

That was not a win. It was a Tie. If it went to extra time they would have scored. We played to not lose and that never works. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

And the Portuguese fans are going to have more fun today than ours. 

Are they? Sound like some dumbass fans, then.

We're still playing. Portugal isn't. We knotted the runner ups from last WC. We knotted the team that they only put one in the net against. We had more shots and more shots on target against POR than the NED did and earned more corners. We also could have lost. We also could have beat NED if Dunn didn't forget how to defend for a possession. 

We had a poor group stage overall but we're still dancing. We have yet to lose. Let's see how these ladies respond now that everyone is going to count them out. Soccer is a fickle game - I know you know that. 

8 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

We played to not lose and that never works. 

Also this is completely untrue. We came out guns blazing trying to win the group and kept trying to score until the end. 

Are they? I know I partied with the Portuguese fans in Germany during the World Cup and they do it right. Well maybe I know, but may not remember. Hell of a night.... 

We cannot look at soccer like football in my opinion. The fucked up passes, trying to get cute, the lack of cohesiveness, hell how many times did we fall down? That is not counted, but it matters. It throws the plan off. 

Sure we can win, but need to get our heads into it and play. Just don't feel like this team has that. 

Anyways, I will be here for the Sweden game. And still going to watch the next match. Which one I am not sure. Might sit on the couch with the pups and flip back and forth. 

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

That was a shitty effort to wake up early to.  

Looking like Sweden then at 4:00a-CDT on Sunday morning?  

Go back to bed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

watching this women's team is kind of like watching the men. ugh. 

Not even close.

This team is pure shit. The men give good effort. Both team have shit-for-brains managers.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Morgan believing her own commercials. 

50 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

Bro. Morgan.

41 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

morgan looks worse than rapinoe. jesus fuck.

40 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Alex Morgan kinda sucks

Alex Morgan is awful. 

If Carli Lloyd hadn’t been told she was done as a USWNT player and had kept playing, I think that even as old as she is, she would have been more clinical than Morgan. 

Morgan looked more uncoordinated than fat Serena Williams.

34 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Naps are good? 

We most certainly are.

33 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

We looked like shit. Fucking Colombia would have kicked our ass. 

I said this last weekend. Colombia and Germany would destroy these yankee bitches. 

I enjoyed watching the Dutch score over and over, but flipped back to watch the Portugal 🇵🇹 ladies some and then was really pulling for them and watched them mostly the last 20 minutes. Really bummed that they didn’t pull out a win to advance in their World Cup debut.

I hope that Sweden crushes our old fat ladies on Sunday. 

PS- How much does the U.S. keeper suck ass? That flailing regarded leap she made on that set piece was comical. I realized that I had seen that spastic movement about 20-25 years ago… 

…the one on the left.

image.gif.36ea590fb73bc6eec1786250e3bcd9be.gif

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, will catch the Dutch replay. Sounds like they were top notch. 

Was just listening to Post Game. They lit into the coach. Said this team lacks fire and he cannot deliver it. Seems they are right. 

No one has ever liked this coach. 

People can’t be too critical of anything that US Soccer does (TV talking heads or podcasters), because they can be frozen out for expressing an opinion. But as much as this team has looked like confused elderly ladies, the talking heads couldn’t hold back their criticism. I think that they all know that the TVs will likely turn after across the country after the next match and the US women’s future going forward looks cloudy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our coach is dogshit. This team has the talent, but hasn’t come together at all as a team. They play timid and appear to lack trust in each other.

That’s all on Vlatko.

3-0 against Vietnam doesn’t look like much of an aberration anymore. That’s who we are. Who Vlatko made us.

Once we lose to Sweden, this will be our worst showing at a World Cup, right?

EDIT - by a long shot. We’ve never failed to medal. 

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'm obviously not a soccer guy but watching this replay....how many times can you dribble right into a defender? How many times can you pass the ball to.....absolutely nobody? Does anybody on our team know how to attempt a real shot? Any time the ball is in the box nobody seems to want to score, they just do a bunch of dumb passes.

This seems like the ‘98 men’s World Cup or ‘18 qualifying where we are stuck between two generations that don’t really like each other.  I just get sense that Morgan and Rapinoe can’t stand Smith and Rodman and vice versa.   

How did Thompson do once she got out there?  I don’t have time to watch that boring shit. 

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Our coach is dogshit. This team has the talent, but hasn’t come together at all as a team. They play timid and appear to lack trust in each other.

That’s all on Vlatko.

3-0 against Vietnam doesn’t look like much of an aberration anymore. That’s who we are. Who Vlatko made us.

Once we lose to Sweden, this will be our worst showing at a World Cup, right?

EDIT - by a long shot. We’ve never failed to medal. 

Yeah, the lack of chemistry on and off the pitch for this team has pretty much been there since his hiring.  At some point it's either the players or the coach and with this many talented players still --> it's the coach

32 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

This seems like the ‘98 men’s World Cup or ‘18 qualifying where we are stuck between two generations that don’t really like each other.  I just get sense that Morgan and Rapinoe can’t stand Smith and Rodman and vice versa.   

How did Thompson do once she got out there?  I don’t have time to watch that boring shit. 

Well, Morgan in particular would have a lot more room to be uppity if she were playing worth a single fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

FOX has been downplaying this because they want to keep interest high for ratings, but the USA’s hopes were dashed back in April when Mallory Swanson got injured and was ruled out for the World Cup. She had been USAs best scoring threat for over a year, and none of the other forwards on the roster are nearly as skilled with finishing at the net. 

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

... removed 4 other quotes that said Morgan was "subpar"

Alex Morgan is awful. 

If Carli Lloyd hadn’t been told she was done as a USWNT player and had kept playing, I think that even as old as she is, she would have been more clinical than Morgan. 

Morgan looked more uncoordinated than fat Serena Williams.

Carli Lloyd said yesterday that we should sit Morgan for this game.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/alex-morgan-uswnt-carli-lloyd-30596774

So she clearly is still hitting the target, at least with her hot takes.

But bringing up Lloyd does bring up 1 thing about Vlatko that made this job tricky for him (totally not sorry if I have mentioned this before). He had the unenviable job of ushering out a very aging old guard and bringing in a new wave of players. This had the added difficulty of the COVID years in there. But Carli Lloyd was the poster child of the old guard still being on the team at age 59 (oh sorry, she was only 39) in 2022!! She would would bitch about the USWNT team culture, when she was one of the most toxic players on the team!

"[The 2019 World Cup] was absolutely the worst time of my life." - translation, I only got to come off the bench and not start

or

"Winning a World Cup obviously put us on a really big, big stage and endorsements started coming and the spotlight started coming and I just saw a shift in people’s mindsets. It became more about what can I do to build my brand off the field? What can I do to get an endorsement deal and less about what we have to do when we step in between those lines?"

- Spoken at a time when she had 8 endorsement deals, including Nike and VW!!!

But yeah, Vlatko had to deal with that, which wasn't easy and I am not sure he was the right guy for the job.

And you look at this team and it's a mix of older and younger players. They appear to have some culture clash. But that is his job, and right man or wrong man, he is the man and that is on him.

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think a player like Lloyd sees it as she has earned it(the endorsement deals and the fame) and the newer players havent. But they act like they have, and the only reason they get the attention they do is because of what the older players accomplished in the past.

Carli Lloyd can eat shit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Carli Lloyd can eat shit.

Oh ok. Im out of the loop, only watch when theyre playing WC. Complete soccer idiot. All i know is i saw her when they were winning it all and always liked her as a player, plus she was kinda hot. Why is she shit? Is she just bitter at the new players? I kinda thought she was right, i dont like seeing a celebratory attitude for a tie(so close to being a loss) in a game where a lot was on the line.