USWNT 2023: Journey to a 5th Star

pacman

6 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Too much dribbling right into the Portugal defender and then being surprised when they lose the ball.

Why did I bother taping and watching? I knew it was going to be the same frustrating bullshit.

You just described the offense for 3 straight games. Our forwards think that they are much better than they are. Morgan, Smith, Rodman, doesn't matter, they all suck. 

There's a reason we can't score. Coaching is much of it. But the players are just not very good.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Oh ok. Im out of the loop, only watch when theyre playing WC. Complete soccer idiot. All i know is i saw her when they were winning it all and always liked her as a player, plus she was kinda hot. Why is she shit? Is she just bitter at the new players? I kinda thought she was right, i dont like seeing a celebratory attitude for a tie(so close to being a loss) in a game where a lot was on the line.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ussoccer/comments/15fc8zn/can_someone_explain_why_everyone_is_crushing/

Just now, Captain Ron said:

I'm not sure how I see us getting through WITH Lavelle.

She is definitely not the same Lavelle of the previous 2 WCs. She's lost a step. All her shots, she's got all her weight on our back foot and the balls are all field goals. She's not creating as much but I think that's a testament to her supporting cast and scheme. Everyone is just standing still at the line waiting for a through ball.

Lavelle got fucked on that yellow, as contact from the other player pushed her into the player she was called for fouling.  She's been the best player on the team thus far, IMHO.  And the only one that has stepped onto the pitch with the level of intensity worthy of a World Cup.  Now for the first 8-12 minutes the US was very intense and frenetic, and I really did expect an early goal.  But once Portugal weather the initial storm they damn near score on one of the first counters... then the game changed for the duration.

I will also complement Portugal on executing one of my pet peeves of missed opportunity, "the back side of the goal." Thought Portugal was gonna get an easy one off this, the the cross was crap.  But their positioning here was consistently better than most of the teams I have watched in the tournament thus far.  

Speaking of crap, where was the intensity and consistency today?  Fitness was a question that some of the commentators thought was a potential issue.  I sort of think that one of the problems when you come out and dominate the first couple of minutes is an expectation of the team to think you can just get right back to that threat level.  That flash of lack of intensity is where the momentum begins it's turn and the other team's hope begins to build.

Damn lucky to get out of the group in all honesty. As we were darn lucky not to lose to the Netherlands. Made me wonder how many more games I am gonna get to watch of them...

10 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I certainly can't disagree that her commentary is lazy. But also see what I said about her. I just think she was a bitter old hag at the end of her career and that rolled into her commentary as a desk pundit now.

Frankly, she picked her side when the first interview she did, post USWNT, was Hope Solo, who is persona non-grata for that team.

The USWNT has done an terrible job of phasing in younger players.  On the 23 player roster, 10 players are at least 30 years old with 4 being over 34 or older.  You can't tell me there are several US players better than Morgan and Rapinoe.  We need to get through this WC and seriously get the younger talent identified and developed for the next one.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

The USWNT has done an terrible job of phasing in younger players.  On the 23 player roster, 10 players are at least 30 years old with 4 being over 34 or older.  You can't tell me there are several US players better than Morgan and Rapinoe.  We need to get through this WC and seriously get the younger talent identified and developed for the next one.

Problem is as bad as Morgan is, she's at least least creating chances for the other attackers. She had a deft back flick to set up a goal in the Vietnam game.

In the Netherland game, she had great touches to set up chances which Rodman and Smith bricked.

This is a great flick to Smith. Problem is Smith doesn't even get a shot off.

Here's great header to Smith in space who passed to Rodman who sent the shot wide of goal.

The younger players have flashes but there's just not enough creativity as a team to produce steady chances and goals. 

In the 2nd half of the Netherlands game, we were most dangerous when we we came in wide and sent crosses into the middle. We didn't do any of it in the first half and we didn't do any of it in the game against Portugal. That's down to coaching. If the scheme sucks, then players have the create the chances. There just isn't enough creativity which leads to few chances.

This team just isn't very good, right now. Here's hoping they get a fire in their ass and play better collectively as a team.

Edited by crash_davis

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

She also missed a fucking penalty in the Vietnam game. 

She's still a good player - but my God she needs to finish better. 

This is an incredible ball from Rapinoe. Morgan simply has to do better. She had all kinds of space in the box and tries a lazy cross/pass Rodman. Then she again had Rodman back post but she opts for the weak ass shot. I'm hoping it was fatigue because we should've scored there.

Edited by crash_davis

40 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

But then we have to watch them on a ton of commercials. 

Back to the game. We kept playing on the left, as if the right was Toxic in the first half. Meanwhile, most of our good attacks came from that side. 

That game sucked. 

53 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

O'Hara was bitching at the players when they huddled after the game. Here she is long after the whistle explaining tactics Rodman. This team needs leadership. Glad to see someone is stepping up cause It's not coming from the coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think a player like Lloyd sees it as she has earned it(the endorsement deals and the fame) and the newer players havent. But they act like they have, and the only reason they get the attention they do is because of what the older players accomplished in the past.

thank you trish.

probably 10 of you will get that and each of you should feel the shame i feel posting it lol

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

O'Hara was bitching at the players when they huddled after the game. Here she is long after the whistle explaining tactics Rodman. This team needs leadership. Glad to see someone is stepping up cause It's not coming from the coaches.

The USWNT is a victim of its own success. The program has been dominant since the 1990s, largely because the US had by far the largest player pool to draw from. That meant our 11 was bigger, faster, and more skilled than any other 11.

We didn’t have to be smart. We didn’t have to strategize. Tactics were secondary, because we could and did win on pure athletic talent alone. And in soccer, a direct team will typically win when they have a significant athletic and skill advantage. It’s dumb soccer, but it can work when you’re just so much bigger, faster, and more skilled.

But the world has caught up. Our athletic advantage has slimmed and this WC is making it painfully clear that our skill advantage is loooong gone. So teams with lesser athletes but smarter tactics and more emphasis on possession-oriented skills are outplaying the once-untouchable USWNT.

It is time to adjust. We need to teach and develop players for a smarter brand of soccer. Just throwing our best athletes out there and telling them to boot the ball downfield or win one-v-one battles isn’t going to work anymore.  

• Hook 'Em 6

Just caught the replay. 

They look completely lost on the attack - like they only way they know how to score is off of set pieces. It's like watching a player get a 1 on 1 with a GK but he's never done it before, so he panics and either shoots it right at the goalie or sails it. That's what our whole offense looks like to me.... "oh look at me I've got the ball and plenty of space...what do I doooo??" 

Edited by NorthLoop

Watching the highlights now. How have we not found a competent left back in the last four years? Dunn is such a liability. No idea what the fuck she was thinking in the 16th minute, jogging 3-5 yards behind her mark and well in front of her defensive line. We’re so lucky Portugal can’t finish. 

Edited by BrickHorn

31 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The USWNT is a victim of its own success. The program has been dominant since the 1990s, largely because the US had by far the largest player pool to draw from. That meant our 11 was bigger, faster, and more skilled than any other 11.

We didn’t have to be smart. We didn’t have to strategize. Tactics were secondary, because we could and did win on pure athletic talent alone. And in soccer, a direct team will typically win when they have a significant athletic and skill advantage. It’s dumb soccer, but it can work when you’re just so much bigger, faster, and more skilled.

But the world has caught up. Our athletic advantage has slimmed and this WC is making it painfully clear that our skill advantage is loooong gone. So teams with lesser athletes but smarter tactics and more emphasis on possession-oriented skills are outplaying the once-untouchable USWNT.

It is time to adjust. We need to teach and develop players for a smarter brand of soccer. Just throwing our best athletes out there and telling them to boot the ball downfield or win one-v-one battles isn’t going to work anymore.  

I felt like i was watching the soccer equivalent of guards not being able to throw simple entry passes into post players in order to set up scoring.

12 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Watching the highlights now. How have we not found a competent left back in the last four years? Dunn is such a liability. No idea what the fuck she was thinking in the 16th minute, jogging 3-5 yards behind her mark and well in front of her defensive line. We’re so lucky Portugal can’t finish. 

She's been so fucking bad. I snapped this pic in the first half.

20230801_023812.thumb.jpg.a6f98982feea2c116e092c6a756677b7.jpg

That is our side of the pitch. Dunn is the one closest to the sideline. She plays left back. Why in the fuck would you ever be over there - let alone when you're standing right next to a teammate?

16 minutes ago, ztejas said:

She's been so fucking bad. I snapped this pic in the first half.

20230801_023812.thumb.jpg.a6f98982feea2c116e092c6a756677b7.jpg

That is our side of the pitch. Dunn is the one closest to the sideline. She plays left back. Why in the fuck would you ever be over there - let alone when you're standing right next to a teammate?

In 2019, we attended a WC game. It was clear then that Dunn had very little feel for the position. But she had just been moved from forward, so her lack of awareness and instinct was somewhat understandable. Four years later, she still plays with the same cluelessness.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

She is definitely not the same Lavelle of the previous 2 WCs. She's lost a step. All her shots, she's got all her weight on our back foot and the balls are all field goals. She's not creating as much but I think that's a testament to her supporting cast and scheme. Everyone is just standing still at the line waiting for a through ball.

Lavelle has only been playing with the senior team since 2017. She's coming back from injury right now and that shows. She is doing things, but she can't do everything she would like.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

This is where Vlatko has very much failed. Don't get me wrong, I think the COVID schedule screwed up the system, but in the end, it was Vlatko that kept players in the pool a little longer than they should have been shuffled out.

But I will also say - this is one cycle. We still crank out major talent. We are still going to be cranking out talent left and right. We get things worked out, shuffle out the older members, we should be fine. 

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

No, I think we just have a bad coach this cycle.

I think we played your style more in the 90s when we took 2 titles in 1991 and 1999. Everything slimmed down in the 2000s like you said because we didn't have the right guys coaching the team.

I think we got the coaching right since 2010. If not for a miracle Japan run in 2011, we already have 3 in a row.

Now when you put in the wrong guy, see what happens.

I also agree with you that our athletic advantage has shrunk. While we have a better younger side because of the Title IX - I think the European Leagues are cranking out better players as they get older.

But in the end (and I think we agree here) coaching matters. I see a lot of guys talking here - how lost this team is, how disjointed they look, etc. Coaching. I think if we have a better Xs and Os guy in there, we probably are doing better. At the very least, not looking at an exit in the Round of 16 as a strong possibility. 

Edited by Captain Ron

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

But in the end (and I think we agree here) coaching matters. I see a lot of guys talking here - how lost this team is, how disjointed they look, etc. Coaching. I think if we have a better Xs and Os guy in there, we probably are doing better. At the very least, not looking at an exit in the Round of 16 as a strong possibility. 

I don't even know how much of it is xs and os. It seems like the girls just aren't on the same page, rushing stuff, making dumb passes. They seem frazzled and wound up tight and under a lot of pressure. Some of that is on the players - but having your team prepared and playing for each other and in the right mindset is ultimately on the coach.

Say what you want about Gerg - we've always played for each other and played hard under him - and guys seem to understand what their role is and where they're supposed to be in whatever stupid fucking formation and lineup he's rolling out. You get the sense that all the dudes bleed for each other and wear the shirt with a lot of pride.

There's definitely a lot less of that and a lack of unity with this team. And a weird sense of not really giving a fuck. Morgan's interview after the game really irritated me. She seemed very nonchalant - "yeah, you know, we did our job and advanced and just missed some chances but we're moving on so it's fine"

5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

someone mentioned 98 France above.....  that was not 2 generations colliding, it was a cult of personality and 2 camps, the harkes camp and the wynalda camp (due to the porking), add on top sampson's inept 3-6-1, and you get a side that at least hit wood against iran 3 times

this girls side can't even manage a shot on frame in the box from open play to save their lives

there's plenty of kids on this team - the problem is the "untouchables" that persist in the girls' program - just like orocopa minutes for mls lifers

the federation won the lawsuit brought by the girls, and then parlow went ahead and paid them anyway and so we are repeating the foudy generation - sacred fat ($$) cows

unless we go 42 and counter sverige are going to cut us in to little pieces

50 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

someone mentioned 98 France above.....  that was not 2 generations colliding, it was a cult of personality and 2 camps, the harkes camp and the wynalda camp (due to the porking), add on top sampson's inept 3-6-1, and you get a side that at least hit wood against iran 3 times

this girls side can't even manage a shot on frame in the box from open play to save their lives

there's plenty of kids on this team - the problem is the "untouchables" that persist in the girls' program - just like orocopa minutes for mls lifers

the federation won the lawsuit brought by the girls, and then parlow went ahead and paid them anyway and so we are repeating the foudy generation - sacred fat ($$) cows

unless we go 42 and counter sverige are going to cut us in to little pieces

Wait, are you saying that players shouldn’t be fucking their teammates wives? Is that bad?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

This is where Vlatko has very much failed. Don't get me wrong, I think the COVID schedule screwed up the system, but in the end, it was Vlatko that kept players in the pool a little longer than they should have been shuffled out.

But I will also say - this is one cycle. We still crank out major talent. We are still going to be cranking out talent left and right. We get things worked out, shuffle out the older members, we should be fine. 

How hard is it to shuffle the roster due to the construction of WNT's contracts?  They are full time employees with health benefits, PTO, child care, subsidized pro/private league salary etc.  Firing someone off the team would seem to be more complicated than the pay for play independent contractor agreement of the MNT.

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

But then we have to watch them on a ton of commercials. 

Dude this is like the 4th time you’ve bitched about this in the past 24 hours. It’s the national team during a World Cup year, of-fucking-course they’re going to be in commercials. Blame capitalism, not the players. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

the girls are 20 years behind the boys wrt to PDP over P2P

the men's pro game and national team went through this radical paradigm shift to..... join the rest of the planet in the concept of Professional Development

pay-to-play still exists but has been obsoleted in the last 10 years

the denouement of P2P was Juergen's crushing truth in the 2010 espn postgame show after the 2nd ghana abortion - from that moment forward the pendulum has swung towards logic

the girls are still stuck in a youth landscape of travel tournaments and must-win-now at all costs

the nwsl of 23 is basically where mls was in 97

and the fed remains the fed

16 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Opponent - Total Shots USA-Opponent / Shots on Goal USA - Opponent

Vietnam - 28-0 / 7-0

Netherlands - 18-5 / 4-1

Portugal - 17-6 / 6-0

3 matches 63 shots, opponents 11.   Shots on goal 17 to 1.   

1 Shot on goal in 292 minutes!   How the F did we end up with only 5 points and a GD of 3?  That is almost impossible.

• Like 1

Women's World Cup: USA in group stage

1991. 9 points (11-2). USA's first game: 3-2 over Sweden after leading 3-0.
1995. 7 points (9-4). Led China 2-0 and 3-1 but had to settle for 3-3 tie.
1999. 9 points (13-1). Giants Stadium opener drew then-world record 78,972 fans.
2003. 9 points (11-1). Cindy Parlow scored in each of opening two wins.
2007. 7 points (5-2). Heather O'Reilly's equalizer earned 2-2 tie vs. North Korea.
*2011. 6 points (6-2). The 2-1 loss to Sweden is its only group-stage defeat ever.
2015. 7 points (4-1). Held scoreless for first time in group stage: 0-0 with Sweden.
2019. 9 points (18-0). USA opened with a record 13-0 win over Thailand.
*2023. 5 points (4-1). Five points and one win are its fewest ever in group stage.

*Advanced as group runner-up only twice

(goals for-against in parens)

Vlatko Andonovski responds to Carli Lloyd: 'We know it's not good enough'

by Andy Scott , 5 hours ago

Vlatko Andonovski says it would be "insane" to question the mentality of his U.S. team but admitted the 0-0 draw with Portugal to scrape into the Women's World Cup last 16 on Tuesday was "not good enough."

The defending champions only needed a point against the World Cup debutants at Eden Park to advance but they produced a lackluster performance and almost lost in injury time when Ana Capeta hit the post.

Defeat would have led to the USA being eliminated from the World Cup in the group stage for the first time and its displays throughout the first round have been nowhere near the levels expected.

Having beaten Vietnam 3-0 and come from behind to draw 1-1 with the Netherlands, the USA finish second in Group E behind the Dutch and will most likely meet Sweden next.

U.S. legend Carli Lloyd was shocked by what she saw.

"I am not seeing that passion. I am just seeing a very lackluster, uninspiring, taking it for granted," said Lloyd, now a pundit for Fox Sports.

Andonovski, who replaced Jill Ellis as coach after the 2019 triumph and has brought a squad to New Zealand featuring 14 World Cup debutants, staunchly defended his players.

"This team wanted to win this game more than anything else," he said. "They put everything they could into preparation for this tournament. To question the mentality and willingness of this team to win and compete I think is insane. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and they can say whatever they want, but I just know how this team feels. It is not like we played well by any means. We owned it, we know it's not good enough, we are not happy with our performance, but we qualify for the next round and we are moving on."

Stinging criticism. The United States are chasing an unprecedented third title in a row but it has looked far from the force that has so long dominated international women's soccer.

The only other time in Women's World Cup history in which it has failed to top its group was in 2011, when it lost the final on penalties to Japan.

The Americans have never before won just one group game. On the way to lifting the trophy four years ago in France, they scored 18 goals without reply while winning all three group matches.

Lloyd, who scored a hat-trick as the USA won the 2015 final against Japan and came off the bench in the 2019 final, also questioned why players were smiling and dancing on the pitch at fulltime.

"I have never witnessed something like that. You are lucky not to be going home right now," she said.

Lloyd also pondered why veteran defender Kelley O'Hara was seen delivering a passionate speech to her teammates on the pitch instead of her coach.

"Cleary she isn't happy and it is a bit concerning that Vlatko Andonovski isn't doing that," she said.

Rapinoe demands 'perspective.' Nothing about their performances so far suggests the holders will find it easy on Sunday in Melbourne if they do indeed face the Swedes, who finished third at the last World Cup.

The USA will also be without key midfielder Rose Lavelle, who will serve a one-game ban after picking up two bookings in the last two matches.

"We could be going home, so we just need to keep perspective," said Megan Rapinoe, another veteran of the 2015 and 2019 campaigns, who came off the bench against Portugal. "I feel like I have never been in a tournament, even in 2019, where you just think you are doing amazing all the time and just flying. We are through to the next round and that is the most important thing, and we have got four or five days and then we have got a real game."

The USA earned passage into the knockout stage of the 2023 Women's World Cup, but with expectations for a third straight title far lower than accompanied it to the tournament. Portugal, a Women's World Cup debutant that came closest to scoring with a shot off the post in stoppage time, held the USA to a 0-0 tie. For the first time in history the USA failed to win more than one of its three group games. In New Zealand, Coach Vlatko Andonovski's team opened with a 3-0 win over Vietnam before a 1-1 comeback tie against the Netherlands, the Group E winner with 7 points, after a 7-0 defeat of Vietnam, to the USA's 5 points.

...edit by hayden...more below in the spoiler. nothing else edited.

USA Player Ratings
(1=low; 5=middle; 10=high.)

GOALKEEPER

Alyssa Naeher, who in first half was called on once to snag a tame cross, booted the first back pass she had to deal with into the stands but found teammates on her next two tests. She wasn't called on to save a shot. And the USA survived Naeher bobbling a ball in the 82nd minute and coming off her line in stoppage time and thoroughly misjudging a high ball. It was the post that made the best save against the Portuguese — on Ana Capeta's searing shot one-minute into stoppage time.

Player (Club) caps/goals (age)

Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars) 94/0 (35)
DEFENDERS

The Portuguese's focus on attacking wide in the first half kept the pressure light on central defenders Julie Ertz and Naomi Girma, who helped out left back Crystal Dunn against the dynamic Jessica Silva, who shot wide after she outran Dunn to a 16th-minute through ball. Girma intervened frequently in the second half when the Portuguese attempted balls down the middle, including a yellow-card foul for a free kick that threatened less than it could have. Ertz was marking Telma Encarnação when she nodded the ball to Capeta for Portugal's big chance.  Emily Fox headed clear an early cross but the right back proved unable to play out of the back. Dunn covered more territory with her forays but none bore fruit, often because her passes were intercepted.

Emily Fox (NC Courage) 32/1 (25)

Naomi Girma (San Diego Wave) 19/0 (23)

Julie Ertz (Angel City FC) 121/20 (31)

Crystal Dunn (Portland Thorns) 135/24 (31)
MIDFIELDERS

All three of the midfielders were forced to spend a significant time defending. And all three struggled in one-on-one battles, were inconsistent with their passes, and were incapable of dribbling past their foes. Rose Lavelle delivered a cross shortly after kickoff that resulted in a corner kick but failed to create significant offense. She skied the USA's first second-half shot far above the crossbar and overhit a pass to Smith in the penalty area. Lavelle's yellow card was her second of the tournament and she'll be suspended for the round-of-16 game. Lindsey Horan failed offensively but played valuable defense. And Sullivan couldn't meet the demands of her defensive midfield role. She won some balls when Portugal surged in the second half, but she looked fatigued as she jogged toward the Portuguese player who launched the through ball that set up Capeta's shot off the post.

Rose Lavelle (OL Reign) 91/24 (28)

Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit) 48/3 (27)

Lindsey Horan (Lyon, FRA) 132/29 (29)
FORWARDS

The Portuguese defenders proved from the get-go that they matched Sophia Smith's speed and she produced no other methods of getting past them. Smith shot 20 yards wide from 22 yards in the second half before being replaced. Center forward Alex Morgan, who got away with charging into a prone goalkeeper Inês Pereira without getting cautioned, won a corner kick with her first attempt on goal and volleyed wide on her second. She had two chances to score in the 84th minute and failed on both. Morgan's inability to keep possession under pressure contributed to the USA's failure to spend much time in final third. Right winger Lynn Williams' first chance was an easily saved header. Her half-volley from 12 yards went straight to the keeper, and her first attempt at goal in the second half was a far wide header. She too failed to keep possession long enough to give U.S. midfielders a chance to join the attack.

Lynn Williams (Gotham FC) 54/15 (30)

Alex Morgan (San Diego Wave) 209/121 (34)

Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns) 33/14 (22)

SUBSTITUTES

Shortly after coming on in the 61st minute, Megan Rapinoe under-hit a corner kick and a through pass to Morgan, and banged a cross into her marker. Rapinoe hit three passes to the wrong team during promising attacks in the waning minutes, and whiffed on a shot in the sixth minute of stoppage time. Andonovski didn't sub again until the 84th minute, when Emily Sonnett and Trinity Rodman came on. Sonnett tried to reach a high cross shortly after arriving, and took down Pereira in a manner similar to Morgan's late challenge on the keeper in the first half.  Alyssa Thompson and Kelley O'Hara entered in the 7th minute of stoppage time.

Megan Rapinoe (OL Reign) 201/63 (38)

NR
Trinity Rodman (Washington Spirit) 21/4 (21)

NR
Emily Sonnett (OL Reign) 76/1 (29)

NR
Alyssa Thompson (Angel City FC) 6/0 (18)

NR
Kelley O’Hara (Gotham FC) 159/3 (34)

TRIVIA: The USA failed to score in a group play for the second time in 27 World Cup games. It tied Sweden, 0-0, in its second game en route to winning the 2015 World Cup.

NEXT UP: The USA faces the winner of Group G (Sweden or Italy) on Sunday (5 am ET kickoff).

Aug. 1 in Auckland
USA 0 Portugal 0.
USA — Naeher; Fox, Girma, Ertz, Dunn (O'Hara,  90+7); Lavelle, Sullivan, Horan (Sonnett, 84); Williams (Rodman, 84), Morgan (Thompson, 90+7), Smith (Rapinoe, 61).
Portugal — Pereira; Borges, Gomes, Carole Costa, Amado (Marchão, 89); Pinto, Dolores Silva, Nazareth (Jacinto, 62), Norton (Encarnacão, 81), Jessica Silva, Diana Silva (Capeta, 90).
Yellow cards: USA — Lavelle 38; Smith 52, Girma 81; Portugal — Carole Costa 56, Diana Gomes 72, Amado 85. Red cards: none.
Referee: Rebecca Welch (England). ARs: Natalie Aspinall (England), Anita Vad (Hungary). 4th official: Anahi Fernandez (Uruguay). VAR: Marco Fritz (Germany). AVAR: Tatiana Guzman (Nicaragua). Offside VAR: Maryna Striletska (Ukraine).
Att.: 42,958.

Stats:
USA/Portugal
Shots: 17/6
Shots on target: 6/0
Saves: 0/6
Corner Kicks: 6/1
Fouls: 14/12
Offside: 0/0
Possession: 44%/56%

Photo: Lynne Cameron/ISI Photos

women's national team, women's world cup
27 comments about "USA-Portugal Women's World Cup Player Ratings".

Bob Ashpole, August 1, 2023 at 6:40 a.m.

How to kill confidence and morale? Tell a championship team to play for a draw.
    Santiago 1314 replied, August 1, 2023 at 7:59 a.m.

Bob, this was Never a Championship Team, and this is Becoming Painfully Clear.
    The Bracket was Lost in Game 1;
    That was why I Advocated for Wholesale Subs last Night to Save Some Legs and people from getting Suspended or Injured.
    Santiago 1314 replied, August 1, 2023 at 8:01 a.m.

Santiago 1314, August 1, 2023 at 12:56 a.m.
    We should beat OR TIE Portugal with our "B" Team, and Save the "A" Team for Round of 16 versus Sweden.!!!

My Starting Line-Up;
    Rapinoe. Williams. aTom
              Sanchez. Demelo
                      Sullivan
    Dunn. Grima Ertz. Fox
                   *Nahryer"

If we are behind or Tied in the 2nd half, you can Bring IN;
    Smith...Morgan...Rodman
            Horan---Lavell
    Wooden Ships replied, August 1, 2023 at 8:52 a.m.

Bob, I have to quibble a bit with your continued assertion that Vlat is the reason for our underwhelming play. Our players aren't making it happen, they are overrated. I think they are and have been easily distracted. I also see Vlat allowing more freedom on the field than Greg ever did for the guys.
    frank schoon replied, August 1, 2023 at 11:07 a.m.

Ships  I agree, we have a lot deeper problems which hS nothing to do with Vlat.
    I'm back from Europe and currently waiting for flight to DC

I would recommend for anyone to tak the Earliest flight out of Europe ,like 7:30am flight.  It is a pain in the ass to get up at 3:30am but it beats the crowds and waiting time

Kent James replied, August 1, 2023 at 12:55 p.m.

I don't think playing for a draw was the problem. We played (our theoretically) best 11, and every time we got the ball, went forward quickly. We had 2 or 3 good chances in the first few minutes, which is not what a team playing for a draw does.  The only time we played for a draw was for a few minutes after Portugal hit the post.

Santiago is right that winning the group was unlikely; I don't know if playing a full B team would have been wise, but certainly there should have been more changes (maybe half a B team).  Of course, that would be a risk for the coach (since had we played the B team and lost, he would have ruined our chances), and he does seem to be risk averse.  
    Bob Ashpole replied, August 1, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.

Guys, the coaches job is to get the best out of his players. Has Vlatko done that? I don't think so.

As far as the "A" team vs "B" team. The "starters" are mostly reserves. We are missing 7 starters due to injury. In other words if everyone had been available 7 players on this roster would not have been selected, must less started.

But still the coach's job is to get the best out of the selected players. All the faults of the players does not change the coach's job. Saying that the players are not good enough does not excuse the coach of performing his job. If a coach doesn't believe his players can win, then they won't either.
    Bob Ashpole replied, August 1, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.

PS: there is a difference between selecting a cautious gameplan and announcing to the world that a draw is good enough for our team. Who knows what he said in the locker room.
    Santiago 1314, August 1, 2023 at 8:16 a.m.

OH... Least I Forget:
    OMG was that SLOGGING UGLY.!!!
    EVEN I'M GETTING TIRED OF BEING RIGHT ALL THE TIME.
    Santiago 1314, July 27, 2023 at 3:07 a.m.
    Rinse, Lather, Repeat;
    Santiago 1314, July 22, 2023 at 7:37 a.m.
    You all gonna get Tired of Seeing this;

Santiago 1314, July 18, 2023 at 5:50 p.m.
    USA for the 3-PEAT.!!!
    But, It's going to be a SLOG... Ugly... Outplayed, yet Never Out Hustled.!!!
    Just WIN BABY WIN.!!!
    ***Today: versus Holland I'll ADD; OUTCOACHED and
    Just TIE, BABY TIE.¡¿¡¿¡¿

***Today(Tonight, Tomorrow WETF it was Down Under):
    Versus Portugal, WE WERE OUT HUSTLED.!!!
    Just get LUCKY Baby, Just Lucky.!!!! (We need to Bronze that Post)

R2 Dad, August 1, 2023 at 9:35 a.m.

Lloyd is a legend--seems Vlatkos got thin skin when faced with real criticism he can't address without getting bitter. Why does the media wait for failure before giving an honest assessment?
    frank schoon replied, August 1, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.

R2, I was reading some comments from Lloyd and she problems on this team due also to off the field garbage/politics that some players are involved which also effects the morale of the team.....
    Kevin Leahy replied, August 1, 2023 at 7:55 p.m.

That's funny R2, just yesterday he said that, he doesn't listen to critics
    Kevin Leahy, August 1, 2023 at 11:07 a.m.

Without Ertz in the midfield they, can't change the dynamic of the match. She is a destroyer of opponents ability to play. It in turn, creates more opportunities in the attacking third. It is a coaching problem if you think Rapinoe has anything to offer! Watched her attempt to make 2 passes in a row of less than 5 yards and missed them completely. These are coaching issues!
    frank schoon, August 1, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.

Hope to see repeat of the game today. But I can surmise that Vietnam played a very defensive game thus nullifying anyone who would  the#6 role at mid
    John Sabala, August 1, 2023 at 11:40 a.m.

Another Coaching Zero!!

Again at the game in Auckland last night. I have to say this is the most painful USWNT game I have ever watched (and that says a lot). It is 100% a coaching problem. Vlat in his last interview before the game stated Portugal would sit back....again completely wrong and could not adjust in game or at halftime.  Portugal exercised an almost identitcal game plan of the Netherlands. Play patiently, switch the field, hit the midfield with a penetrating pass and hit a diagnal running forward between our two centerbacks. They did this very well.  Just look at the statistics of completed passes and possession. Portugal then pressed us and we once again resorted to long ball soccer.  We were 3 inches away from exiting the WC in the group stage. Portugual immediately doubled Smith when she received the ball and forced/allowed her to cut back inside to more defenders. They executed their game plan to perfection except for the missed goal opportunities.

I am completely disgusted as I prepare to fly back to Germany. I don't see us getting by Sweeden at this point. We will once again make history with our earliest exit from a WC. Lavelle fouled out of frustration and she tends to get a yellow a match. The game was allowed like all matches to be physical from the onset, so this was nothing new for this tournament. Vlat will have no answer to the midfield issue. Our starters are now taxed from 3 full 90 minute games going into the knockout. Did not manage the team for the whole tournament. He played to try and just win the group with no thoughts of the future. What a waste.
    Santiago 1314 replied, August 1, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.

Safe Travels to You and Frank;
    I'm Not sure I have EVER seen a WORSE US Women's National Team Game.
    Certainly some is on Vlatko... He Looked Like a DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS Last Night.
    But, Players that CAN'T Beat their Opponent 1v1 or Combine with their Teammates in 2v1 is NOT the Coaches Problem.
    We may have to Bring in Murphy in the Goal, as The Swedes are REALLY Good in the AIR, especially on Corners. She is also more IMPOSING for PKs.
    Our Most Likely Chance of Advancing is to Go to PKs.
    We have OverExtended Horan and Morgan, even Sullivan is starting to Wear Down.
    I would prefer that we Move Ertz Up to #6, but It's gonna be Risky...
    We just don't know if Cook can handle Sweden.
    We Need to be Prepared to Switch to a 3 Back Line-up, if we get behind and move Ertz up Into the Midfield.
    Ben Myers, August 1, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.

Vlat substituted too little and too late.  He had a deer in the headlights look for most of the game.  Unless there is some incredible miracle and the USWNT wins it all, Vlat will be gone soon.

Lots of tired legs out there.  Girma and Ertz in the back were his two best lineup decisions.

The USWNT could not deal with what looked like a 3-5-2, solid defending and flexibility to break out in attack.  It looked like they never played against a 3-5-2 before.  They were outplayed and outcoached.

The USWNT has sat on its Title 9 laurels, with zero foresight by anyone as to what's next.  No surprise, but the success of the women's leagues in Europe have lifted the level of play around the world.  NWSL all alone is not the answer.  Like the USMNT, the women need to play in competitive leagues abroad to improve.

Kent James, August 1, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.

You don't have to play your best soccer in the first round, though clearly not winning the group makes our path more difficult.  But there won't be any easy games from here on out, so I'm not worried about our path.

I'm not on the "we've been outplayed by everybody but Vietnam" train; certainly, we have not played like a #1 team, but we've created many more chances than our opponents, and while possession is nice, I'd rather have chances on goal.  Carly Lloyd talked about our arrogance and lack of effort, but I thought everyone on the field put the effort in (I can't speak to their attitude; the Portugal chance was created when Ertz (or was it Horan?) tried to dribble against 2 (when she had support available), so that might have been arrogance (or at least overconfidence). And Sophia Smith probably tries to take on more people than she should (but probably better too many than too few).  But I don't think overconfidence is the problem (I do think the players believe they deserve the #1 ranking, and aren't afraid of anyone, but I think that's a good thing).

There are certainly a few important things we need to do better.  Vlad needs to use his bench more (that's where he and GB are very different; GB uses lots of players which means there are a lot of players ready to go when called on).  I think that also helps build team unity.

The attack needs to be varied more.  Smith burned their right back on multiple occassions, but they eventually figured it out, because she didn't vary it.  Morgan needs to be harder to track. Using speed to get behind players is always dangerous (Rapino put Morgan through on a couple of occasions), but there has to be more creativity.

I liked Ertz in the back against Vietnam (giving us more offensive capability), but in the last two games she's had little impact.  She needs to have the ball further up the field (and disrupt their attacks).

There was a lot of time between games, so I hope the starters are not yet weary. Not playing up to our potential in the first round should not kill our chances, but clearly we need to do better from here on out.
    Scott Chaney, August 1, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.

Coach, WAKE UP! Get Thompson in the game MUCH EARLIER with Smith and put Morgan on the bench. We need SPEED!

And why in the world do you waste our precious minutes putting Rapinoe in the game??? Send her home permanently!
    Santiago 1314 replied, August 1, 2023 at 4:20 p.m.

Vlatko was So Screwed Up, He put Thompson IN @ CENTER FORWARD.!!!
    He Brought in Sonnet, to play a Double Pivot, and then about 5 minutes Later, he Switched her to a Third Center Back... Without Dropping someone from the Front Line to a Midfield Role (5-3-2)
    We were Playing 5-2-3 at the End of The Game.!?!?!?  Totally BIZARRE.!!!
    And then Those 3 would Take-Off to Goal and Cross to No One or the GK, Instead of Wasting Time in the Corners or Playing Square Passes...
    At any Point in the 2nd Half, it had to be Obvious we were going to Finish 2nd.
    So why Keep going like Bulls in a China Shop to their Goal and Turning the Ball Over, and Over and Over...
    Just Play Keep AWAY.!!!
    R2 Dad, August 1, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.

Curious when alarm bells are finally going to start ringing for who is playing in goal. If that flap in the 86th minute wasn't it, Vlatko has no hope. Ellis made changes to improve team chemistry during the group stages. Does anyone see that happening now?
    R2 Dad, August 1, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.

I didn't realize how poor Morgan's vision was until I saw her continue to shoot away inside the 18 when all it would have taken to score was to pick up the 3rd runner at the top of the box with a square pass. We really do look out of ideas when players can't pick up their heads in the attacking 3rd.
    Sam Bellin, August 1, 2023 at 3:58 p.m.

Santiago said it all:  " Players that CAN'T Beat their Opponent 1v1 or Combine with their Teammates in 2v1 is NOT the Coaches problem."  For at least several years now, the US Women have been technically deficient (basically the same as the US Men).  The difference is that NOW there are at least a half dozen women's teams who know how to use their technical superiority to beat us -- basically they now closely match up with us physically, which allows them to press us hard for 90 minutes, and to prevent us from getting loose by just playing long balls.  Our midfielders can't even hold on to the ball, let alone create space to attack, and our forwards have zero creativity -- where is a goal going to come from?  You have to really "love the ball" to be a top player in today's soccer -- men's or women's -- and who wants to argue that Americans love the ball?  
    Michael Whalen, August 1, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.

The players are underperforming, true, but the team has not been prepared properly for any of the first three games. Want to see good coaching, check out what Wiegman did for England after losing one of her best players the game before and after a sluggish start to the WC. She changed her lineup and England thrashed China.

John Sabala was right in his analysis.... teams have seen how to beat the US. Beat up on the front three, slide a second or third defender over once they get the ball because they will turn and try to beat everyone on their own. There is no width in the attack and all three tend to run to the middle at the same time making it very easy to clog the box defensively (see end of Portugal game when Rose was dribbling at defense and two strikers run right into her path).

On the counter, go right down the center of the midfield, exposing Sullivan and then attack Dunn's side of the field.

It's happening every game, all the time, and VA is not adjusting. We have shown that we can't play three in the midfield and compete against quality teams. We need 4 or 5 in the midfield if we want to have any chance against Sweden, Spain, Japan, Netherlands in the next rounds.

I'd make a huge adjustment and go to a 442. I'd bring in O'hara at left-back and Cook at center-back. Move Ertz to the 6 and bring in DeMelo as the 8. Flank them with Dunn and Huerta. Move Horan up top (she is the only person capable of playing with her back to the goal) and partner her with Morgan/Smith/Rodman (sub these players in as one tires). I know it's a huge change, the team doesn't have the players to play a 433 against good teams. That is a coaching problem. He choose this roster knowing what style he wanted to play and it's clearly not working. Gotta make big changes or we lose to Sweden on Sunday.
    frank schoon, August 1, 2023 at 7:19 p.m.

Just came home from vacation and I was able to see the second half. I don't know anything about Portugal, and I've only seen Holland play one time, that's all I've seen of the cup.

My first impression of Portugal is that they play better soccer than we do....it's that simple. We DON'T play soccer, PERIOD. Watch Holland play or watch Portugal play, they have one thing in common, they play soccer. Do I have to explain what we don't do with the ball in terms of ball movement, and possession.  The secret is that the US is lost when it plays a team whose ball possession is much better than. Ball Possession nullifies our strength which is athleticism, Turbo and lots of fight.

It's not that the other teams who show  much better possession don't fight, they do, in fact, and that's what gives them an up on us. We have not developed our players beyond what we do, somehow we have reached a glass ceiling in our development. And sure you can blame the coach for I don't think he's right for what we need to progress ,soccerwise. We can pick another American variety coach for the women's team but our game will not get better.....Look at how the Portugese or the Dutch women handle the ball ,individually, as a team, and look at the passing and moving of the ball under pressure. We rarely can make 3passes in succession before it's lost to the other team.

We lack creative play, look how many vertical long balls were made to go downfield, with mostly go for broke attacks...Playing as  a team????? we can't even sing the national anthem or put our hands over our heart as team, because we have some bozos who want to express their political opinions which over time has effected the moral of the team. Lloyd is right!!!

I had no idea Ertz was out there until halfway through the second half. Ertz can't not play as a centerback or as an attacking centerback . SHE CAN'T DRIBBLE ON THE RUN, for she lacks good timing on her dribbling. Each time she pushes the ball it's way too far out in front of her. If I were the opponent's coach ,I would tell my front line to allow Ertz to get ball in the backfield, give her room and allow to her run forcing to pass. We need someone like a Lavelle as centerback who is quick, can turn with the ball, able to take opponents on 1v1.

Richard Schemmel, August 1, 2023 at 7:32 p.m.

Simple: if they don't respect the National Anthem they sit
    frank schoon, August 1, 2023 at 7:39 p.m.

Again , I see some of the posts blame our play because of certain lack of tactical ploys or whatnots, bad  coaching or some other soccer tidbits.  Look at the total picture of how we play as compared to Spain, Japan or Holland or Portugal, for instance. We don't play good soccer , we lack good possession, we are not good in controlling in small spaces while under pressure and we tend to lose the ball after the second pass. These are the important things that makes us look bad instead thinking we played bad because faulty tactic, wrong coach, player injury, or question why someone should have played

We are good at the simple things that don't take great skills , like running, athleticism, fighting, hustling...Somehow that worked for a while and many of our opponents are still not gotten respectable.

Our lack of skill is made up by playing Turbo soccer. It has been successful for us but sooner of later, sophistication of play needs to begin to dominate. None of our front line players have a sophisticated edge to their technique, for it's basically taken up by turbo ,size and speed.

Edited by hayden_horn
very long cut and paste

17 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Dude this is like the 4th time you’ve bitched about this in the past 24 hours. It’s the national team during a World Cup year, of-fucking-course they’re going to be in commercials. Blame capitalism, not the players. 

Sorry but they need to pull that Sophia Smith commercial where the other player is haunted by her image and trembles at the sight of her. There's not one fucking player in this WC that is intimidated by her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Sorry man, but it reminds me of watching Biggio miss the penalty in the World Cup. 

Focus on the game. You want to wear the US Jersey? Play well. Accolades come after. 

And it was not 4 times. You count like Dale. king of the hill GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Sorry but they need to pull that Sophia Smith commercial where the other player is haunted by her image and trembles at the sight of her. There's not one fucking player in this WC that is intimidated by her. 

I’d film a commercial tea bagging Pelés head stone for a bag from Nike if they asked me to, and I currently suck ass at soccer. You all would too.

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’d film a commercial tea bagging Pelés head stone for a bag from Nike if they asked me to, and I currently suck ass at soccer. You all would too.

And? They can pay me money to film a commercial where my fat ass blocks shots from my buddy's 10 year old in our weekly pickup game and I stand up and say "you don't want none of this shit".... but that doesn't mean they should. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Right, blame production/advertisers not the players is my point. If you’re gonna suck at soccer might as well get paid doing it.

Oh I'm not blaming her. I'm saying it's a bad look for them having that ad run during a bunch of games where she gets exposed as a mediocre as hell women's player. 

It's also embarrassing to our program. 

Edited by NorthLoop
  • Hook 'Em 2