2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

My oldest daughter (who is tall for her age) is starting her first organized volleyball league next month. 

She watched this championship match excitedly from her hospital bed at Dell Children's after three long days, and was officially discharged during match point (literally at that exact moment the nurses told us).  

You can all thank her excellent timing with generous NIL deals in 10+ years.  

Thanks for bringing the title back home (again) to Austin ladies and lifting the spirits of my little girl.

LIGHT IT UP! 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Has there ever been a more dominant NC match?? I know I've never seen a Texas player serve 11x in a row, even against a bad team. That was truly giving the cornheads the fucking ass kicking they deserved.

Before today, 2019 was probably the most lopsided. But today was worse for the losing team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have really got to get up to Austin and take in a match at Gregory.  From the videos I have see it looks like an awesome atmosphere.

Congrats to the women on back-to-back titles.  Like Rudy T said back in the day, never underestimate the heart of a champion.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You would think a national championship would be enough to get someone at Bellmont to logon on a Sunday and put a splash on the frontpage of texassports.com.

Nm, I finally see it now.  I swear I reloaded a couple of times and nothing.

Edited by WBT

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

You would think a national championship would be enough to get someone at Bellmont to logon on a Sunday and put a splash on the frontpage of texassports.com.

Nm, I finally see it now.  I swear I reloaded a couple of times and nothing.

I checked a few min ago and it wasn’t there. Did take a while 

3 minutes ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

I'll just leave this right here

image.thumb.png.df6920f6155b0b060bcf35e95914aa7e.png

hope they do a full tower lighting with the team photo and all that before they head home for the holidays.  Would love to take my girls to it.  

pro tip-if they do it this week and you take your families to it---make it a point to also walk the East side of the Drag from 21st-24th, the Longhorn Lights Show (new this year) is pretty cool with fun music.  Not worth the trip itself, but if you head to the team tower celebration, go before or after for sure.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned but what is Sergio Garcia’s connection to the team? I know he lives in Austin and married into Longhorn royalty but is ther something more to it than simply being a fan?

Garcia's wife is really good friends with Sarah Baumgartner. She's the blonde that was sitting next to Sergio.

I've heard incredible things about Baumgartner to the point where it sounds like she's pretty much running things on the women's side of athletics. I would love to hear if @closetojumpinghas heard the same feedback. 

• Like 1

I have no clue what Elliot will do in the portal offseason 

Molly is off to play beach. The heir apparent for the RS is Devin, if she stays. If not, portal or Byrd if she can’t beat out Jenna 

The middles are both gone. Singletary is next in line, with Bunton who took a RS, and incoming freshman Ames who could start day 1. I doubt we go after a middle unless it’s someone elite 

Elliot loves Jenna. Don’t see him doing a full portal recruitment over her. Byrd or Devin are available to backup the OH2 position. 

Really hope we can find a grad transfer to replace Barnes 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I have no clue what Elliot will do in the portal offseason 

Molly is off to play beach. The heir apparent for the RS is Devin, if she stays. If not, portal or Byrd if she can’t beat out Jenna 

The middles are both gone. Singletary is next in line, with Bunton who took a RS, and incoming freshman Ames who could start day 1. I doubt we go after a middle unless it’s someone elite 

Elliot loves Jenna. Don’t see him doing a full portal recruitment over her. Byrd or Devin are available to backup the OH2 position. 

Really hope we can find a grad transfer to replace Barnes 

I think they will go after a middle if a good one enters the portal. I can't see Elliott being fine with no experience at all. 

41 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

These girls are amazing athletes, so incredibly fun to watch. If ESPN wants to hype women’s sports they would be wise to start showing women’s volleyball more frequently rather than the wnba.

I’ve said this for a while. I’d ESPN invested as much in volleyball as they did in the WNBA they’d get much better return on their investment. Women’s basketball will ALWAYS be unfavorably compared to men’s basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I’ve been beating this drum since I got hooked on UT Volleyball.

Along with televising all home baseball games, showcasing the VB team was the biggest benefit of LHN.

This sport (at least at the level we play it) is more fun to watch than ANY basketball…men, women, pro, college…whatever.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Xminus6 said:

I’ve said this for a while. I’d ESPN invested as much in volleyball as they did in the WNBA they’d get much better return on their investment. Women’s basketball will ALWAYS be unfavorably compared to men’s basketball. 

It will be interesting to see what the ratings for today's match end up being.  Going up against the NFL is usually not great for most programming.  But my completely uneducated guess is that moving the championship match to Sunday and putting it on broadcast television is a signal that ABC and ESPN are looking to give women's sports some more exposure.  If I recall the women's basketball title game pulled in some good numbers on ABC but I have no idea what it was up against programming-wise.

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

These girls are amazing athletes, so incredibly fun to watch. If ESPN wants to hype women’s sports they would be wise to start showing women’s volleyball more frequently rather than the wnba.

Seeing all of these 6’2 and taller girls jumping out of the gym, I don’t understand why dunking in women’s basketball just doesn’t happen, even at the pro level. 

Such a great win.  Watched both the it and Nebraska press conferences.  Neb was a little salty.  That hottie Murray girl said they will win the next three championships and their coach sorta dissed the way ut builds teams via transfers the last two years and said "I kinda like the way were building teams by growing our own players."

good for him!  it's important to feel good how you got to 2nd place.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Having become a fan of women's volleyball, I have tried to watch some men's.

While it is a fantastic display of athleticism, it is so high and fast as to be virtually unwatchable.  You can't tell what's going on .

Shit, depending on the camera angle, women's can be hard to decipher at times, too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!