The Coen Brothers’ True Grit is the Fucking Truth

mr. sunshine

17 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

I’m sorry but I searched it and no thread showed up. I thought the remake would be sacrilege to my father because he loved the John Wayne one but even he prefers the Jeff Bridges. You can make us eat sand out of the road if you don’t agree 

100% agree. Hailee Steinfield was awesome. Years later I was surprised to see someone of her skill at that young of an age married Bieber.

• Fuck You 4

The original is better. John Wayne, Robert Duvall, Glen Campbell and Dennis Hopper. Kim Darby is brilliant as Mattie. She should have been nominated for an Academy Award. 

Based on the some of the comments above, the 1969 version is too funny and not consistent with the book. Well, Jeff Bridges is pretty damned funny as Rooster as well. 

The Coen Bros version is a capable remake. Not surprising given the director and cast. I remember when the film came out there was some criticism of casting Hailee Steinfeld. I believe in the books Mattie is described as plain and stern while Steinfeld is a f***ing smoke show. 

We’re fortunate to get both films. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

One of my favorite scenes of any film is the Duke's Rooster mopping up the stew remnants with his bread before breaking out his jug and taking a healthy swig, and starting a card game with Mr. Chin.

Bridges is one of my favorite actors, but the scene where Rooster explains his ex-wife and son was pretty much word for word in both movies, and the Duke was on another level.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:15 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

The Coen Bros version is a capable remake. Not surprising given the director and cast. I remember when the film came out there was some criticism of casting Hailee Steinfeld. I believe in the books Mattie is described as plain and stern while Steinfeld is a f***ing smoke show. 

Yes, now, but she was 14 when she did True Grit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Barry Pepper fucking stole the whole movie as Ned Pepper

Mattie Ross : If I had killed Chaney, I would not be in this fix; but my gun misfired.

Lucky Ned Pepper : [Chuckling]  They will do it. It will embarrass you every time.

You guys are high if you prefer the John Wayne version. The Coen Brothers captures Charles Portis' sublime dialogue.  The direction and escalation to violence in the dugout cabin scene is next level. 

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 4

The original is better. John Wayne, Robert Duvall, Glen Campbell and Dennis Hopper. Kim Darby is brilliant as Mattie. She should have been nominated for an Academy Award. 

Based on the some of the comments above, the 1969 version is too funny and not consistent with the book. Well, Jeff Bridges is pretty damned funny as Rooster as well. 

We’re fortunate to get both films. 

As an adult I’ve never seen a 13 year old I’d describe as a smoke show… d26b2f08a459680029d7c6cb425c3a4f.jpg
Very cute kid though.
  • Haha 2