Refreshing A Mid-90s Nissan

So, long story short I now have a 1997 Nissan Maxima SE, “old lady loaded” my grandmother left me after her death. It has sentimental value (she wanted me to have it when I went to college but my parents deemed it “too nice”). It has fun value— I love driving it, it is from an era when Japanese cars were good but still “analog.” Mechanically  a gem and in great shape (just handled a Texas to mid-Atlantic road trip without a cough). The 3.0 V6 is a gem, no issues with highway speeds, runs smooth and peppy, suspension has been maintained. Never missed an oil change and babied by grandma and infrequent family drivers, 151K miles on this quarter century old car. Aside from a windshield crack and some chipping, body is straight and clean with usual wear on some door and trim pieces. Cold A/C. 

The bad: The leather was not conditioned and after 25 years has lots of cracks and tears. It would likely need new seats covers, new console cover, and one door panel/upholstery replaced. The next thing would be the exterior trim and paint refresh. 

What might I be looking at for the interior redo? Doesn’t have to be OEM but I want it to look like it belongs and feel nice. I will not being doing this work myself, not even going to pretend I might. 

Am I crazy to even think of doing this? Refreshing and keeping as a garage queen/limited “fun” driver around town or for trips? The blue book value for the very best is around 3K, is there any chance we start going up a bit as it moves into legal “classic” territory?

Photo of the whip:

image.thumb.jpeg.c4939505ec061f8adc118737239ba5fe.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

That was a fun car. I had a 96. That V6 was a great engine. It’s not worth what you’re wanting to put into it but you can look at it another way. It’s a family heirloom, and you had zero acquired cost, so look at it at that way. Some new skins, refresh the paint, fix some mechanicals…why the fuck not? It’s a cheap date.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

That was a fun car. I had a 96. That V6 was a great engine. It’s not worth what you’re wanting to put into it but you can look at it another way. It’s a family heirloom, and you had zero acquired cost, so look at it at that way. Some new skins, refresh the paint, fix some mechanicals…why the fuck not? It’s a cheap date.

That’s where I’m leaning, just was irrationally hoping that someone would tell me it’s gonna be cheaper than I thought or an investment, although I know better. 

My now-wife and I took our first trip in the car, from the RGV along the river to Big Bend. When gas prices spiked right after Katrina, my grandma gave me the keys and said “take my ‘little’ car, it’s more comfortable and cheaper to drive than your pickup.” So lots of memories.

The V6 is just great. Aftermarket they can make handle crazy power, stock they simply run like a top with plenty of power all through the band. 

A few years ago I drove a few different 4runners. They essentially hadn't changed in years. The 1997 I drove had two main differences than the 2015 I drove. The stereo and the seats. So I bought the 1997 and put a new stereo and had the seats redone to match the original seats. Cost $1400 to do the pair, they were good as new and comfortable. I was able to sell them for $500 when I totaled the 4runner a few months later. 

First thing you need to do is clean up the headlight lens so you can see!  Tons of kits to do it and takes less than half an hour, for both improved appearance and safety. You also might want brighter bulbs?

I have always been a fan of the sedan with a strong engine.  As it's fun to haul ass and draw less attention.  IF you are going to keep the car I suggest you learn to turn a wrench, as when you need a part you are either going to pay out the ass, or the Wrench A Part salvage yard will become your friend.  

But it is solid transportation with a low price tag.  Put a little money into stock every month that you do not spend on a car payment and that little vehicle just might very well indeed be an amazing investment.

9 hours ago, Handcruser said:

That’s a great car. Keep it - interior is probably $1000 and it will come in handy many times in the future.

9 hours ago, blacklab said:

A few years ago I drove a few different 4runners. They essentially hadn't changed in years. The 1997 I drove had two main differences than the 2015 I drove. The stereo and the seats. So I bought the 1997 and put a new stereo and had the seats redone to match the original seats. Cost $1400 to do the pair, they were good as new and comfortable. I was able to sell them for $500 when I totaled the 4runner a few months later. 

I can't vouch for the prices, but there are some outfits that refurbish interiors, mainly upholstery and padding and they do some really nice work that I have seen.

Also, there is this stuff called Leatherique that is fairly miraculous at revitalizing old leather.  But, it needs to be actual leather and not the vinyl coated stuff that's in a lot of vehicles.  I had a friend that was given an older BMW 850 instead of cash payment of his bills, and the seats were in pretty bad shape.  Before going to a reupholsterer, he tried Leatherique on them and, it wasn't perfect, but man it made a huge difference.

I used Richmond Auto Upholstery in Houston.  I restored the drivers seat leather, cushion, arm rest, and dash.  It wasn't cheap, but that Avalanche looks brand new on the inside.  I don't remember exactly, but I think I spent about $1500-2k on the interior.  I also replaced the headlights.

I'll be the naysayer.  I drive the hell out of vehicles and repair most things along the way.  As a reference, my last suburban was 18 years old and had 260k miles when I got rid of it.

If you don't want to repairs yourself, you are going to spend a bunch of money.  Especially on car that had all of the bells and whistles when new.  Old things break.  Electric window switch, multifunction turn signal/wiper lever, a/c diverters, alternators . . .  The parts are usually not that expensive and most of these things can be fixed in your driveway after watching a couple youtube videos.  However, these are not cheap to get fixed by mechanics.

I would enjoy it as it is and fix a few things to make it as good as it can be right now.  I wouldn't sink thousands of dollars into it thinking that'll do the trick.  

One of my first cars was a 95 standard Altima that was passed around the siblings. I've never had more fun driving a car. It changed gears like a dream and had great pickup. I'm definitely on Team Refresh if only for sentimental value. 

That car will never go up in value. The interior refresh will cost you 2k, exterior and incidentals another 2k or more. From a financial perspective it makes zero sense to put 4k+ into a 3k value car, but only you know how much the sentimental value is worth to you. I've done a lot dumber things.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping because motherfucking scamming assholes. The CE light came on (I think it’s a real minor thing) and since we are new to the area I had my wife drop it at a dealer with instructions for diagnostics and a quote before any work.

Anyway these shitheels call her back and she passed them on for me. I get the tech on the phone and he tell me it needs an EVAP smoke test and they’ll be happy to do it for a cost of $550.  I laugh out loud and say that I’ll be there in the morning when they open to get the car and would like a manager to explain to me why I should pay for the any diagnostic at all after a gotdamn pathetic scam attempt (a smoke test should be easily 3 times less than that quote). 

Then this motherfucker immediately says “I’ll talk to my manager, I actually see here the charge for a smoke test is $185.” 

No thanks, pal. Don’t touch the car, I’ll be there tomorrow to get it.  POS. And now I gotta take off work and also try and find a non-shithead mechanic. I was even doing the dealer willing to pay extra so as not to worry as much about this type of bullshit.

Anyway, fuck the dealer model we need to go to manufacturer sales and support. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Rage+1 1

Bumping because motherfucking scamming assholes. The CE light came on (I think it’s a real minor thing) and since we are new to the area I had my wife drop it at a dealer with instructions for diagnostics and a quote before any work.
Anyway these shitheels call her back and she passed them on for me. I get the tech on the phone and he tell me it needs an EVAP smoke test and they’ll be happy to do it for a cost of $550.  I laugh out loud and say that I’ll be there in the morning when they open to get the car and would like a manager to explain to me why I should pay for the any diagnostic at all after a gotdamn pathetic scam attempt (a smoke test should be easily 3 times less than that quote). 

Then this motherfucker immediately says “I’ll talk to my manager, I actually see here the charge for a smoke test is $185.” 

No thanks, pal. Don’t touch the car, I’ll be there tomorrow to get it.  POS. And now I gotta take off work and also try and find a non-shithead mechanic. I was even doing the dealer willing to pay extra so as not to worry as much about this type of bullshit.

Smoke test is $125 or so at my local mechanic. If that.

Smoke test is $125 or so at my local mechanic. If that.

18 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Smoke test is $125 or so at my local mechanic. If that.

On 8/14/2023 at 7:51 AM, cabowabo said:

My first car was a black 1990 Nissan Maxima SE 5 speed. It was the shit.

same.  that car had some giddyup.

OP if the leather's just cracked but the structure and integrity of the seats is/are ok you can just buy leather seat covers.  they do some pretty good work now.  also switch out the headlight bulbs with an HID kit.  < $100 and it makes a huge difference.  

On 9/6/2023 at 3:22 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

It’s a 1997; can’t you just buy a $30 scan tool like fixd to run the codes for you?