Tceh suffers crushing 2OT defeat at Wyoming

WBT

He is a former Tech OL who became extremely wealthy in the Eagle Ford shale play.  He is absolutely a booster. Donor/ supporter of the program.  Some of his behavior/ commentary reflects his less than egalitarian background.
I’ve disagreed with him multiple times, even though I do feel like he is always doing what he feels is right to promote the school and football program.  His heart’s in the right place, just not the execution at all times.

Explain your word choice of egalitarian here.
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Always get a good chuckle when my Tech grad friend is bragging on how much NIL/facilities money Tech has been able to wrangle up since Joey was hired and then turns around and blames Texas and all their money for destroying college football... 

That is some aggy-level self-awareness.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

here's a great quote from hocutt:

"What I see UT doing is exactly what A&M did to UT whenever (Texas A&M) left for the SEC. They were just refusing to play them."

A perfect example of their myopic stupidity and tunnel vision.

*We* *refused* *to* *play* *aggy*.

aggy introduced motions in the lege that never made it to committee and they squealed just like tech is squealing.

but that doesn't fit their narrative that it's all about them.

it never can be about us - they are owed their economic impact, their bi-annual superbowl on the plains, and their bi-annual trip to the Capitol.

it's THEIR RIGHT by god.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, slorch said:

The original Tech mascot.  It is still a beloved moniker and is intertwined in Tech history unto today.

https://theraiderland.com/tuesday-texas-tech-history-how-the-matadors-became-the-red-raiders-i-dont-want-you-boys-ever-to-be-called-matadors-again/

So tech's mascot was once a trembling bitch? Why did they move away from it??

179373882_10158215397540687_926011988798172088_n.jpg

If you talk shit all off-season, better back it up

https://www.lubbockonline.com/story/sports/college/red-raiders/2023/09/04/joey-mcguire-on-texas-tech-football-fans-youre-either-in-or-youre-not-wyoming-oregon/70761165007/

"Whenever you're talking about fans," McGuire said, "you can't be a fair-weather fan. You're either in or you're not. If you're in, say whatever you want to say. If you're not in, and you're not all the way in, that's when you maybe need to shut your mouth.

He should take his own advice 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

here's a great quote from hocutt:

"What I see UT doing is exactly what A&M did to UT whenever (Texas A&M) left for the SEC. They were just refusing to play them."

A perfect example of their myopic stupidity and tunnel vision.

*We* *refused* *to* *play* *aggy*.

aggy introduced motions in the lege that never made it to committee and they squealed just like tech is squealing.

but that doesn't fit their narrative that it's all about them.

it never can be about us - they are owed their economic impact, their bi-annual superbowl on the plains, and their bi-annual trip to the Capitol.

it's THEIR RIGHT by god.

The comparison sucks any way.

Name me another school out there that is getting static for refusing to schedule a school who is, at best, their #4 rival.

Just how many schools who consider us to be their #1 or #2 rival are we expected to schedule?  Why is it on us?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1

I'm fine with never playing aggy in football again.  Fuck em.

I'm fine with Texas never scheduling us again.  We can't even beat Wyoming, first rattle out of the gate from offseason.  Take care of business now and don't worry about bullshit out of our control.

I do see us becoming more of an attractive November scheduled game for SEC teams though.  They do like that cupcake before Thanksgiving.

Edited by slorch

32 minutes ago, slorch said:

I'm fine with Texas never scheduling us again.  We can't even beat Wyoming, first rattle out of the gate from offseason.  Take care of business now and don't worry about bullshit out of our control.

I do see us becoming more of an attractive November scheduled game for SEC teams though.  They do like that cupcake before Thanksgiving.

Beaten-down slorch is kinda funny.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

What the fuck does Joey Mugshot even mean by that quote? If you're a "true fan" and you're "all the way in" then you are entitled to say whatever you want. But if "you're not in, and you're not all the way in, then maybe you need to shut your mouth"? 

That's some Mack Brown level thin skin on display right there. Pretty early in the season to be telling your fanbase to shut up.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Beaten-down slorch is kinda funny.

I'm not beaten down.  I'm realistic.  Our football has been shitty for right at 13 years now.  You won't find any shit-talking/ boasting quotes by me related to football from this past off season.

TBH, i'm not that chirpy to begin with until someone else starts it, then they get all surprised that someone spoke up.  Such is life on the intertron.

22 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

13 years is going to get some responses.

Indeed.  I knew it when I posted it.

That was the last "Rebuilding year" for Tech Football.  We went 9-4, with a victory over Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl.  That was also Mike Leach's final season at Tech.

11 hours ago, slorch said:

triggered GIF

On 9/2/2023 at 11:39 PM, mdmost said:

84 made Jay Novacek proud

I played for his brother in high school.  One game we were playing 4A Terrell and he got Jay to come give us a pregame speech.  It was also the first time I had seen a six door Dodge Ram.  

On 9/3/2023 at 12:12 AM, Hermanator said:

After this year there isn't any such thing as power 5 anymore. It'll be power 2.5 and as soon as FSU and Clemson bolt to the Big 10 or SEC it'll be a two large conference sport and everyone else might as well be g5

There will be a P3 or maybe a P4, but not a P2, like some of y'all are wishing to happen.

On 9/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, Go Pokes said:

That’s exactly what I meant. Am I the only one who remembers where we were a year ago? Jesus Christ, you guys can be some fucking assholes. First you leave us for dead, write our obituaries, and celebrate our death. We crawl from the depths to scratch our way back to life and set ourselves up to be the #3 conference and now you act like we shouldn’t be happy to just be alive. You guys can really be some arrogant hypocritical dicks.

As a long time Austin resident, I think I view the UT fan base on a micro level. All my UT fan friends are cool and reasonable folks who never act like the people in this thread. When I step back and get the overhead macro view, everything people say about you is true. You’re really awful. It’s probably the one thing aggy is actually right about.

I've long given Texas and its fans the benefit of a doubt (as well as defended them on other forums), thinking the stereotypes about them were unfair and misdirected, and to an extent that is the case, but man, do some of them on Surly really do prove me wrong to some extent, which is a shame because I've rooted for Texas for years from my college years up until recently.  To their credit, they aren't rude, hostile or obnoxious like some other fanbases, but the arrogance and vindictiveness (towards Big 12 and its teams) of some is certainly palatable and not endearing.  Am I biased towards the Big 12, for sure.  I'm emotionally invested since my alma mater is now a member.  And for the record, I think Brett Yormark is a kickass commissioner (though I wouldn't have made that comment about Texas Tech "taking care of business") if I were him.  

On 9/3/2023 at 12:41 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

That @Go Pokes post is everything wrong with how other fanbases perceive Texas.

The Big 12 commissioner mocks Texas/OU all offseason, coaches like Joey McGuire talk shit all offseason, etc. Now when the Big 12 flops in week 1, "Texas is a meany" because they decided to mock these loudmouth morons. 

Don't talk if you can't take it in return. 

How does he mock?  Takes little competitive jabs?  Sure, but I never perceived any mocking.  I'm not going to weigh in on whether Texas threw its weight around or not because I see parallels with BYU when we were in the Mtn West in how we were seen and treated by our past conference mates, though I think OU has gotten a free pass from criticism.  

On 9/3/2023 at 1:38 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I can tell you this- once we move on I will never spend one second thinking about anyone left behind. Just like I’ve devoted zero brain space to Nebraska, Missouri etc. 

it will be so glorious for them all to be irrelevant and to have nothing to do with them.
to the extent I care (not at all) I guess I’d pick OSU or ISU to run the conference without us.  

The Big 12 WILL be relevant, you can bet your sweet ass it will be.  Will a middling SEC or B1G program be just as relevant is a better question.  

On 9/3/2023 at 4:56 PM, Hermanator said:

They will be making a fraction, possibly 1/4 or less, of the money per year the SEC and Big 10 schools will make. That will fairly quickly render them to g5 status. They can't keep up. They may spring up with a great season and get a playoff spot here and there but wont be able to run that gauntlet of quality power teams who all spend way more on players than they can. 

It's why I think the Big 10/SEC plus Notre Dame, Clemson, and FSU should form their own league of college football and the other D1 conferences should play for a lower tier national championship. 

We'll be making half to two thirds what the B1G and SEC will be making, but we'll still be a power (P3 or P4) conference when all is said and done.  And the Big 12 will be a more competitive top to bottom conference then the top heavy SEC and B1G.  If the B1G and SEC do break away to form their own league, you can bet your sweet ass the Big 12 won't be left behind, as much as you hope for that to happen.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

I played for his brother in high school.  One game we were playing 4A Terrell and he got Jay to come give us a pregame speech.  It was also the first time I had seen a six door Dodge Ram.  

There will be a P3 or maybe a P4, but not a P2, like some of y'all are wishing to happen.

I've long given Texas and its fans the benefit of a doubt (as well as defended them on other forums), thinking the stereotypes about them were unfair and misdirected, and to an extent that is the case, but man, do some of them on Surly really do prove me wrong to some extent, which is a shame because I've rooted for Texas for years from my college years up until recently.  To their credit, they aren't rude, hostile or obnoxious like some other fanbases, but the arrogance and vindictiveness (towards Big 12 and its teams) of some is certainly palatable and not endearing.  Am I biased towards the Big 12, for sure.  I'm emotionally invested since my alma mater is now a member.  And for the record, I think Brett Yormark is a kickass commissioner (though I wouldn't have made that comment about Texas Tech "taking care of business") if I were him.  

How does he mock?  Takes little competitive jabs?  Sure, but I never perceived any mocking.  I'm not going to weigh in on whether Texas threw its weight around or not because I see parallels with BYU when we were in the Mtn West in how we were seen and treated by our past conference mates, though I think OU has gotten a free pass from criticism.  

The Big 12 WILL be relevant, you can bet your sweet ass it will be.  Will a middling SEC or B1G program be just as relevant is a better question.  

We'll be making half to two thirds what the B1G and SEC will be making, but we'll still be a power (P3 or P4) conference when all is said and done.  And the Big 12 will be a more competitive top to bottom conference then the top heavy SEC and B1G.  If the B1G and SEC do break away to form their own league, you can bet your sweet ass the Big 12 won't be left behind, as much as you hope for that to happen.   

Big 12 will be 2nd tier, and if the SEC/Big 10 add Clemson/FSU/ possibly UNC from the ACC there won't be any tier 1 programs left outside of those two conferences. If they decide to form their own super league of top tier college football the teams would come from those 2 conferences plus Notre Dame. Some teams like Northwestern and Vanderbilt may get left out but I can't see any teams from the outside being let in other than ND. 

The big 12 is becoming the new Mountain West. It's just how it is but by all means be delusional. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

IMG_4362.jpeg.6408913f84493574d3c849fd9105d13f.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

image.gif.ad27a3a02338a6d00ee676f05ac89dd9.gif

• Haha 5

On 9/5/2023 at 7:10 AM, Js1 said:

Oh man, I cannot wait for Oregon to come in and just beat the soul out of Tech.  

Edited by Vertigo

Is that the special Joseph Smith Extended Extended Cab Edition? That's like a conversion van mullet. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Oh man, I cannot wait for Oregon to come in and just beat the soul out of Tech.  

Jarret Johnson of 247 Sports begs to differ: “I really don't know how good of a team Oregon is after its opening game shellacking of sacrificial lamb Portland State. Sure, the Ducks are talented on paper, coming off s strong season, but how will they perform on the road in a packed Jones Stadium against an angry Red Raider squad? I still think it's a coin toss game, though I believe the Ducks are more talented overall on paper.”

I presume he means a two-sided coin. 

12 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Jarret Johnson of 247 Sports begs to differ: “I really don't know how good of a team Oregon is after its opening game shellacking of sacrificial lamb Portland State. Sure, the Ducks are talented on paper, coming off s strong season, but how will they perform on the road in a packed Jones Stadium against an angry Red Raider squad? I still think it's a coin toss game, though I believe the Ducks are more talented overall on paper.”

I presume he means a two-sided coin. 

Season 6 Episode 601 GIF by Paramount+

I'm not going to weigh in on whether Texas threw its weight around or not because I see parallels with BYU when we were in the Mtn West in how we were seen and treated by our past conference mates, though I think OU has gotten a free pass from criticism.  

I understand what you're saying, but what does Texas "throwing its weight around" even mean? It's said often enough, but is rarely followed by actual, concrete examples of it happening. It usually amounts to Nebraska, aggy, and others rubbing their vaginas. The only example I can think of is getting rid of partial qualifiers, thereby destroying Nebraska's future. As far as I can tell, that's it. That's the list.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Tech will be angry? They should be too tired to be angry from running drills  until they die.

The notion that there is some extra level of emotional buy-in still available to the players after tripping on their dicks following a complete offseason is absurd.

3 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

Here’s to my sweat ass believing the big 12 will be relevant

I think tech will still be a 7-8 win team and they have a good shot at winning this Oregon game. They tripped over themselves in week 1 on the road playing in 7000+ ft elevation. A lot of teams would struggle in that environment. If they lose this game they're probably looking at more of a 6 or 7 win season but I don't think they'll be terrible or under .500

Baylor, otoh, looks terrible. I don't think they bounce back much. 

Fuck the elevation.  Is Wyoming gotdam undefeated in Laramie?

Tech has better depth and coaching allegedly.  WTF have they been doing the last 9 months?

Edited by slorch