Week 2, 2023: Texas @ Alabama

Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

On Rewind, Sark said "I think is something you got to get used to a little bit more this year, is Quinn using his legs on 3rd down" after he ran for a 1st down. 

Galindo: "Is he comfortable there?"

Sark: "Very comfortable." 

Anybody got the link for the rewind?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, that's like 7-7, and a bunch of those aren't "the biggest games."

What I was getting at is that there is a different swagger to this team than Tom's teams.  The energy we had last year for Bama and ou was unlike anything I had seen for about a dozen years.  We looked like a bunch of killers, and if not for one injury and a bunch of bad calls, we win both of those games.

No one was ever intimidated by Tom Herman's Texas teams.  I believe that Sark has brought that back. 

LO fucking L. This is the good stuff; I wish I could be this kind of fan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Are you sure about that? Taking easy yards when the field is open and everyone is covered isn't too risky so long as the QB isn't stupid about it. Big difference between making a defense pay for selling out to coverage vs Sam Ehlinger trucking defenders. I think Sark just doesn't want his QB's tempting fate.

Tempting fate is only a portion of it. He wants his QB to run through his progressions and keep his eyes downfield. If the defense is sending extra personnel, there should be an open receiver.

3 hours ago, Fud said:

If you're in the weeds on the player stuff, Bammer boards seem to think that if NB Malachi Moore can play but S Jaylen Key can't, they'll move Moore to S, move CB Terrion Arnold to NB, and start Louisiana transfer Trey Amos at CB

Bama has some dogshit in the secondary, and now some of that is hurt. Arnold sucks. Key was a fallback option in the portal. Moore was benched last year, like Arnold. Amos playing is a flat out bad sign for them. Obviously, McKinstry is awesome and Downs is expected to be.

The fact that these scenarios are being thrown around on their end, coupled with Saban being cagey about the injuries, tells me that he's not feeling great about some of the injured guys and his alternative options.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I tend to agree with this due to the number of eyes watching more than Texas being a newcomer.  SEC wants to be perceived as the pinnacle of college football, and they can't do that if it's overly obvious that games are biased.  Not to say that there won't be some home cooking, but I don't think it will be overly egregious.  They will choose those plays that are subjective and let the calls (non-calls) benefit the Tide.

I felt the same way.  The Rice game just had a scrimmage feel to it.  More about lessons and learning than scoreboard.   I think it's why we saw 30 different players take defensive snaps in the first half alone.  Also why we didn't see more of Ford, Catalon and others, letting the younger unknowns prove themselves, or in the case of Gbenda to showcase his improvements.  

To the posters quoted by pyrohornIII and pyro, this type of well-reasoned, even-tempered analysis doesn't belong here.  What were you all thinking?

yikes prediction tracker "tracks" 48 projections for this game. 38 of them are in the page now, and 38 of them pick Bama, the lowest one is by 4.7 points.

average and median are at about 12 points each.

currently at a 76.61% chance Bama wins and a 57.78% chance to cover.

https://www.thepredictiontracker.com/predncaa.html

IDGAF though, i still stand by my prediction (Texas 31, Bama 20.) i still think the Alabama offense is going to struggle massively. if they force Jalen Milroe to beat Texas passing the ball, and he can do it - then they deserve to lose. if Texas can't take advantage of the Bama secondary with the dudes they have in the passing game? they deserve to lose.

Diving Swimming GIF by Texas Longhorns

2 hours ago, Boss Hogg said:

Well, he fooled me. Looks pretty uncomfortable. Heavy footed. Happy to be proven wrong. 

Besides the one where he fell like an idiot I thought he looked much better running than last year.

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

yikes prediction tracker "tracks" 48 projections for this game. 38 of them are in the page now, and 38 of them pick Bama, the lowest one is by 4.7 points.

IDGAF though, i still stand by my prediction (Texas 31, Bama 20.) i still think the Alabama offense is going to struggle massively. if they force Jalen Milroe to beat Texas passing the ball, and he can do it - then they deserve to lose. if Texas can't take advantage of the Bama secondary with the dudes they have in the passing game? they deserve to lose.

I think these models had us winning basically every game last year. Fuck’em.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, NoName said:

the Oklahoma State game broke the guy who used to upload them last year. that was the last one he uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/@lambzinne/videos

quick google shows that this dude uploaded it, haven't watched it but looks right?

things that stood out to me through the actual game plays part of it - most of this is going to be on the offense side. i think it's cool in general he is calling out a ton of dudes by name.

• throwback screen on the first TD - "if we can get the ball to them in space, they can make explosive plays"
  • "we are going to take (these) shots" - talked about getting some PIs
  • sack on 3rd and 9 - route adjustment didn't happen there and he didn't get to his secondary read there. sounds like the staff put that on Ewers
  • long shot to AD Mitchell that wasn't really close "we were just a little off on our down the field throws. protections were great and discipline on routes of where we were supposed to go" weren't great also
  • said Christian Jones had the best game of the OL
  • had a naked bootleg on 2nd and long at 7-3 he said he wished he could have had back. said it wasn't a great playcall
  • after Brooks dropped the ball on the 3rd and 8 from like the 9 - "we will continue to utilize the runners out of the backfield" to catch passes (probably ties to getting them open in space)
  • Baxter's long run: really nice run, gets into the open field - love the speed and stiff arm. lands awkwardly. "we think he is going to be ok"
  • illegal touch pass on Worthy - good effort, Worthy just stepped out of bounds, which backed them up
  • 3rd and 4 they run it to get to 4th and 1. they just had poor execution up front on the 4th down run
  • "we have to be aggressive, we are too good and have too many good people" not to
  • Ewers sack - miscommunication up front that led to the sack
  • long pass to Worthy - little too much air and positioned in the wrong place (keep it in bounds)
  • Ewers is very comfortable running on 3rd down
  • another shot to AD at the end of the first half - "just poor execution in protection, we got to improve"
  • "here's another 3rd down with Quinn using his legs" - they are a "factor" for us
  • AD Mitchell RPO TD play - "movement skills for his size are unique, his ball skills are obviously very tremendous"
  • JT Sanders long TD - played with the eyes of the LB to get him open
  • blue gives you some make you miss out of the RB.
  • long incomplete towards the end zone - unfortunate they didn't get the PI "got to keep taking your shots"
  • Ewers utilizing his legs in the low red is something at our disposal because of his athleticism and shape
  • Maalik - "great shot to Neyor" and "got some good opportunities"
  • thinks they played 30 different guys on defense in the first half
  • thought Maalik played really well. looked very comfortable.

how is this a 30 min show? the film review is 20 min of it then another 10 min with Lowell? uh, no thanks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, NoName said:

We get the win AND get that fucking safety that the goddamn refs stole from us last year! 

Hook'Em Horns!

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I think we could have named the score with Rice, but Sark had different goals.

Someone here commented that Sark was dumb going long when the short game was there all night. Does this person not think Sarkisian saw this opportunity. Of course he did.

The long ball is the dagger we need against quality opponents. I think it was wise to work on it against Rice. Even if it never looked very good, those game reps and film study afterwards will pay dividends down the line unless you think that Ewers just cannnot connect on the long ball ever. 

We will see the short game this week against the Tide. We will see a lot of shit. If they work, then the long ball is poised to punish Alabama for playing too close to the line. Receivers downfield will likely be a little more open with room to adjust. Not saying Rice has a better secondary. Am saying Rice saw a lot of long balls and played it.

I expect Ewers to be sharp. I expect the whole team to be focused for this contest. 

I feel like we take them, but I would not bet a penny on it. 

Saban is a perfectionist.  He wants his team to play the perfect game.  However, he always fucks up somewhere during the game…we need him to fuck up more than we do, and we can win this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NoName said:

how is this a 30 min show? the film review is 20 min of it then another 10 min with Lowell? uh, no thanks.

It's actually a 1-hour show if you can believe it. First 20 minutes or so are a film review, then they hand out some stupid player and play of the game awards, post-game player interviews and then Lowell shows highlights of other Big 12 teams and the upcoming opponent. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Are you sure about that? Taking easy yards when the field is open and everyone is covered isn't too risky so long as the QB isn't stupid about it. Big difference between making a defense pay for selling out to coverage vs Sam Ehlinger trucking defenders. I think Sark just doesn't want his QB's tempting fate.

Ewers is not a “twinkle toes” qb…he’s more clumsy than you’d like a qb to be….I don’t see a lot of improvement from last year, so he better be very alert on Sat.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm sure it's been discussed, but with Spectrum dropping all the Disney-owned channels just in time for the Bama game - I just upgraded my Disney+ subscription to a Disney+ Bundle that adds Hulu and ESPN+.

Just in case some people haven't heard about this scenario yet and need to get it taken care of before Saturday.

2 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I'm sure it's been discussed, but with Spectrum dropping all the Disney-owned channels just in time for the Bama game - I just upgraded my Disney+ subscription to a Disney+ Bundle that adds Hulu and ESPN+.

Just in case some people haven't heard about this scenario yet and need to get it taken care of before Saturday.

That's great but ESPN+ doesn't give you ESPN. 

29 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

People who think the “hiding the playbook against Rice” comments are cope, go rewatch the Bama game from last year. There’s multiple packages we didn’t even touch. 

I'm sure that's true. I think the larger point is that "holding back" as an excuse is lame. We should be able to run whatever packages we want against Rice and move the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Modessit said:

$70/mo. Might have to switch from Spectrum. Will still need internet, though. Cutting cable and dvr boxes will save me about $75/mo and I rarely watch TV besides sports. Have other apps for the other stuff.

I dumped ATT for that package and kept ATT internet and saved myself well over $100 a month and got everything I needed.

Edited by Longhornlove

18 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

No, but Hulu does.

Yeah - for another $70/mo. 

3 minutes ago, Modessit said:

$70/mo. Might have to switch from Spectrum. Will still need internet, though. Cutting cable and dvr boxes will save me about $75/mo and I rarely watch TV besides sports. Have other apps for the other stuff.

Can you get Google fiber where you are? $70/mo for the best internet ever and you don't have to bundle it with any bullshit. 

5 minutes ago, Modessit said:

FYI, almost every big game has been live-streamed on YouTube. They haven't cracked down yet.

27 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I did that a little over a year ago. Dropped tv, kept internet, saved $150/mo. And that was after picking up YTTV.

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

I did that a little over a year ago. Dropped tv, kept internet, saved $150/mo. And that was after picking up YTTV.

Where do you live?  The battle between the local sports channel and the various tv providers has kept me from making the same move.

I dumped ATT for that package and kept ATT internet and saved myself well over $100 a month and got everything I needed.

I can’t believe people spend this kind of money on cable

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Where do you live?  The battle between the local sports channel and the various tv providers has kept me from making the same move.

This thread is a good place to start. 

I had 4 tivo mini’s and a tivo bolt. They’re long gone. 

Went with Roku setups, which I already had 2 anyway.

For what main streaming tv service to get, that will depend on your needs. If you watch a ton of Bally channels for local sports, go with hulu’s live tv+.

LHN isn’t really a factor much longer, but FuboTv offers it regardless of location. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This weekend I have to drive my wife, daughter, and two of my wife’s best girl homies to a family wedding, mandatory attendance by me or life as I know it ends. No fucking way will I be able to preserve isolation. I’ll be like the insufferable asshole on the insurance commercial wreaking havoc at the wedding and reception trying to watch the big game. God dammit all. I hereby curse alla yinz with innumerable video reviews.