Week 2, 2023: Texas @ Alabama

Wulaw Horn

This is often the problem with fans complaining about scheme issues. Most don’t have a damn clue about pass protection schemes and most likely passing concepts as well. (not even including coverage adjustments or blitz induced hots) We don’t know what they are coached to do or who really made the mental error.  Most people don’t know that they don’t know stuff.

You’re a little non-committal in your post here.
“Often” the problem….”most”…….”we don’t know”……”most people don’t know”

Can you point out who knows so I know which posts to give the most credibility?
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

But if we look like we did against Rice, I'll say it again, the universe will collapse.

Quit the dramatics.

If we allow 176 total yards, 1.1 yards per push, have 458 yards of total offense and score 37 points in 3 quarter we are going to be celebrating the biggest win in program history since the 2008 OU game. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Quit the dramatics.

If we allow 176 total yards, 1.1 yards per push, have 458 yards of total offense and score 37 points in 3 quarter we are going to be celebrating the biggest win in program history since the 2008 OU game. 

I remember why I infrequent the football board, you literalist nitwit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

The best seats I’ve ever had for a college football game was with my Dad and I watching the early ‘80s Cotton Bowl vs Alabama. We were seated on the “50” first row of the upper deck, Bama side. Zero obstructed views throughout the game. He and I both kidded each other, as to who was on the 49 or 50, either side!

Tight win by the Horns was the icing on the cake!

Hook’em!!!

I was the guy in a waterproofed rain poncho over my coat who sat in those first-row visitor-side 50-yard-line upper-deck seats in the cold rain in '91 in the Cotton Bowl when we blanked SMU, 34-0.  I had the entire upper deck to myself.

The Longhorn Band played in the rain, but the little pussies in the SMU band don't play in rain.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Will be interesting to see who plays against Alabama, especially on defense. Anyone Sark plays in this game minus any injury replacements will be guys Sark trusts. Wonder if guys like Hill, Muhammad, and Burke will play and how many snaps they get. If I'm not mistaken all of last season Ovie had 1.5 sacks and in 1 game Burke equalled that. Burke had a very good game. 

It will be interesting to what extent, Burke vs Collins in a heavy front are used situationally. Burke's sack was really a team effort though. Good on him for getting back up and not quitting the play, but since the pocket was pushed back and Bush was coming around the other side, Daniels was turned right back into Burke's grasp. Of course, the caveat here is Rice OL << Bama OL.

Also, won't be surprised if Saban plays more than one QB. Regardless, let's hope Burke and Co. remember to set the edge and contain as well as rushing the passer. Especially with Milroe in the backfield.

Milroe is a big power runner. It's going to be like going against Jalen Hurts with a little less quickness and top end speed. May be like a worse throwing KJ Jefferson. They're best running the ball with their backs and QB and Texas looks to be best at stopping the run. It's going to be strength on strength when Texas is on defense. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Quit the dramatics.

Prior to the drive in garbage time for Rice vs 3rd stringerss we had allowed less than 150 total yards and fewer than 20 yards rushing. 

I think they had like 13 yards rushing heading into that drive and like 125ish yards passing. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Milroe is a big power runner. It's going to be like going against Jalen Hurts with a little less quickness and top end speed. May be like a worse throwing KJ Jefferson. They're best running the ball with their backs and QB and Texas looks to be best at stopping the run. It's going to be strength on strength when Texas is on defense. 

It will be Alabama strength vs Texas weakness if the OL doesn't step up their game. Hopefully Flood and crew are cleaning things up on recognition by the OL and emphasizing stunts, delayed blitzes, etc. They're easily confused by trickery. That's how an undersized opponent like Rice made them look bad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

It will be Alabama strength vs Texas weakness if the OL doesn't step up their game. Hopefully Flood and crew are cleaning things up on recognition by the OL and emphasizing stunts, delayed blitzes, etc. They're easily confused by trickery. That's how an undersized opponent like Rice made them look bad.

There were multiple plays where there were at least two lineman not blocking anyone and looking around confused as hell. 

• Rage+1 1

I think you gotta start Umeozulu at LG simply because that would be the best combination of guard and tackle they could have in the run game. In this game they're going to need a go to side when they need a yard or two and that combination gives them that. Campbell having a dinged ankle might make it a formality no matter what Sark would do otherwise. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 1

I basically said that after the 1st half vs Rice. OL needs a kick in the ass for next Saturday or it might be a long day. They played “better” vs Bama, as Freshmen, than they did vs Rice two days ago, so I digress.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I basically said that after the 1st half vs Rice. OL needs a kick in the ass for next Saturday or it might be a long day. They played “better” vs Bama, as Freshmen, than they did vs Rice two days ago, so I digress.

Hook’em!!!

Let’s tap the brakes a little. Our OL was not very good against Bama last year once we got out of the early scripted plays to protect them going against Dallas Turner and Will Anderson.

We averaged 2.4 yards per carry and gave up 3 sacks, including a huge one on the final 3rd down when we somehow left Will Anderson unblocked and had our QB’s running for their lives quite often.

I think we all just had the lowest of low expectations heading into that one. If anything, it showed the blueprint that the offensive staff can scheme some stuff up around the present issues.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, bluto said:

I’m hoping we don’t blitz much, partly bc we won’t hopefully won’t need to but also bc blitzing a qb can actually make life easier for him. Also tends to lead to man covg with db backs to milroe. 

I think blitzing on 2nd/3rd and long could be good. Milroe isn't a good thrower if he has to adjust and make reads and getting him to read blitz and rush to his hot read could cause him to make mistakes and bad throws. Just can't overrun him and miss tackles. 

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

If I recall last year correctly, card extended drives and had several great runs. We need the qb run game on Saturday as well, hopefully Quinn’s legs can get us several chunk plays and his diet and haircut beat fruit. 

This is a weird post considering Quinn was carving Bama up without needing to run and Card sucked shit through a straw and was the main reason we lost, but sure we need more of what Card gave us last year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a weird post considering Quinn was carving Bama up without needing to run and Card sucked shit through a straw and was the main reason we lost, but sure we need more of what Card gave us last year. 

Card sucked and card extended several drives with his feet can exist simultaneously. Quinn used his feet more against Rice Saturday than I recall all last year and I’m simply pointing out that if our run game is slow to get going, (and I see no reason why that won’t be the case) then I hope he takes off when it’s 3rd and manageable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is often the problem with fans complaining about scheme issues. Most don’t have a damn clue about pass protection schemes and most likely passing concepts as well. (not even including coverage adjustments or blitz induced hots) We don’t know what they are coached to do or who really made the mental error.  Most people don’t know that they don’t know stuff.

It’s the Dunning-Kruger Coach in Hindsight Effect.
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2023 at 8:15 PM, ousux said:
On 9/3/2023 at 7:28 PM, TexEx15 said:
Not limited to us or this game but interesting stat to keep an eye on going forward.

Something anyone paying attention already knows, but it is good to see it in the numbers compared to past seasons. Like has already been said, if they really want to shorten games then place strict time limits on penalty reviews. If the refs can't figure it out in 2 mins then the call on the field stands.

The refs need time to see that the wire transfers made it into their accounts.