Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Wait, so Dan Patrick is making privilege and hearsay determinations?

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yes. Seems weird, especially given that he said at the beginning he isn't a lawyer or a judge. 

It's interesting - Patrick doesn't seem to be protecting him.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Buzbee keeps objecting saying client and lawyer privilege? This guy wasn't Paxton's counsel. He was a lawyer in the AG office. Am I missing something?

I guess you didn't realize that every time one lawyer speaks to another lawyer, that is privileged?   So half of the posts on Surly would be inadmissible in a court.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

I gotta say, I'm not impressed so far with any of this.

The defense opening was just insane rambling.

Hardin and the first witness just seems confusing and hard to follow.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I guess you didn't realize that every time one lawyer speaks to another lawyer, that is privileged?   So half of the posts on Surly would be inadmissible in a court.

Only if they continuously pass each other $1 bills over and over like whores in a club to stay silent.  Oh, wait.  I see where this is going...

This is such a hilarious clusterfuck.  You have two lawyers that are probably all over Texas criminal procedure rules obtusely presuming that the same rules apply to an impeachment proceeding in the Texas senate with a presiding judge that doesn't understand any of it.  

.... and I think Rusty may get that the same rules don't necessarily apply and Buzbee hasn't caught up to the game yet., 

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, A-Tex Devil said:

This is such a hilarious clusterfuck.  You have two lawyers that are probably all over Texas criminal procedure rules obtusely presuming that the same rules apply to an impeachment proceeding in the Texas senate with a presiding judge that doesn't understand any of it.  

Yeah, seems to be exactly what's happening.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The clock is going to run out while making technical arguments to a "judge" who has no legal training.

And it's break time!  A 5-minute break that will probably resume with them calling it a day in 20 minutes.

Edited by Beau Vine

I mean, technically a lawyer can object to an exhibit that he had previously indicated he may offer, as long as that exhibit has not been already admitted.  But that lawyer still looks like a dumbass. 

Hardin keeps using the term "preadmitted" like there were exhibits admitted before any witnesses were called.  Paxton's lawyers seem to be saying, no, none of these exhibits have already been preadmitted, they were merely designated by us on our own exhibit list as possible exhibits we may offer.

Just now, South Austin said:

I mean, technically a lawyer can object to an exhibit that he had previously indicated he may offer, as long as that exhibit has not been already admitted.  But that lawyer still looks like a dumbass. 

Hardin keeps using the term "preadmitted" like there were exhibits admitted before any witnesses were called.  Paxton's lawyers seem to be saying, no, none of these exhibits have already been preadmitted, they were merely designated by us on our own exhibit list as possible exhibits we may offer.

So was it targeting?

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Hardin was complaining several hours ago that he had agreed to preadmit all of defense's exhibits, but that Buzbee wouldn't return the favor.  

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Hardin was complaining several hours ago that he had agreed to preadmit all of defense's exhibits, but that Buzbee wouldn't return the favor.  

I head that.  It's an unprofessional dick-move that not many lawyers in my circles would make.  But not against the rules.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

WFAA is pointing out that some of the Attorney General's office attorneys are on "temporary leave" to help defend Paxton. Which is nuts.

You can't make people show up to work. If Paxton wins, he will forgive them for leaving without notice. If someone else is the AG, they probably don't want to work there anyway.

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I head that.  It's an unprofessional dick-move that not many lawyers in my circles would make.  But not against the rules.

that's what your mom said.  

I'm starting to get some vibes as this thing unfolds that there's another political faction at work here.  And I don't mean the Frank Stallone party.  But yeah, between Ken's counsel's openings and Rusty...they're walking a very fine line between "let's be so pointless so as to get the rest of the country to tune us out" & "let's be so fucking insane talking about people's heights and which aisle at Home Depot they got lost in so everybody looks to us in the Senate Chamber."  This is weird even for 2023 MAGA Texas.

32 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yes. Seems weird, especially given that he said at the beginning he isn't a lawyer or a judge. 

As I understood, Patrick has Nathan Hecht nearby -- does Hecht have some role in advising Patrick on legal rulings?  I really don't know -- this shit is all so odd.

28 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Buzbee keeps objecting saying client and lawyer privilege? This guy wasn't Paxton's counsel. He was a lawyer in the AG office. Am I missing something?

26 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ah, there we go:

The above.  I mean, the objections pretty much validate the whole fucking problem with Paxton: he thinks that the assistant AGs of the State of Texas serve him, individually -- Ken Paxton -- instead of serving the State of Texas.  No, you imperious fuckweasel, you do not own the assets of the State of Texas, and they do not serve you individually.  Not even a little bit, beyond your general fractional interest in the services of servants of the state in your capacity as just another citizen of the state.

15 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

can anyone summarize what's happened so far? and someone other than Brisket so it's less than a page

I fucked your mother.  TLDR: I boned your mom.

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

"Unprofessional dick-move" is the calling card of the Paxton team.  Perhaps you did not get that memo.  It's chickenshit 101, but expect nothing less from the chickenshittiest client and legal team to ever appear before an adjudicative body in this state.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

What rules? This isn't a court of law. Seems to me that it should be governed by reasonability which has never had a home in the state capitol. Chaos will rule over the next few days.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

As I understood, Patrick has Nathan Hecht nearby -- does Hecht have some role in advising Patrick on legal rulings?  I really don't know -- this shit is all so odd.

The blonde to his right is former attorney and Dallas county judge Lana Myers.  She is who he appointed to help him on the legal rulings

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, HalfSack Horn said:

The blonde to his right is former attorney and Dallas county judge Lana Myers.  She is who he appointed to help him on the legal rulings

Good to know - I'm not watching, just following online updates.

Seems like it still might be a free-for-all shitshow, though.  I would expect nothing less of this august body working on behalf of the Great State of Texas.

I feel like Patrick is not attempting to protect him like some would, or at least not as much - he's not asking his legal advisor, Lana Meyers?, when Paxton's people make an objection, he's just overruling it.  He could take minutes off the clock himself if he went to his legal advisor every time.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Seems like it still might be a free-for-all shitshow, though.  I would expect nothing less of this august body working on behalf of the Great State of Texas.

It all seems like meaningless political theatre. I would imagine everyone participating already knows how they plan to vote. Paxton has either already secured his victory or is already proper fucked. I leaning more toward the former. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HalfSack Horn said:

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

To be more precise, she was a Dallas County District Judge (criminal court and not the County Judge), and then sat on the Fifth District Court of Appeals until last year.

22 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

To be more precise, she was a Dallas County District Judge (criminal court and not the County Judge), and then sat on the Fifth District Court of Appeals until last year.

Shit.  That’s what I get as a Sales manager wading into the Surly legal waters.   I have a relative that was roommates with her at Baylor law, which is the only reason I knew who she was haha 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Blacklab should have raised that point in the Shaggy proceedings.

• Like 1