2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

Posted (edited)

I'll die on this hill if necessary: It's the coaches (and the owner since real coaches won't work for him). You don't win 12 games and get the 2nd seed without the talent being there, including at QB and the lines. Bad coaching is what gets that team down 20-0 to start a playoff game against the lowest seed in the playoffs and failing to even fight back. That's shitty game planning, shitty playcalling, and shitty in-game coaching.

Nobody else wanted McCarthy or Zimmer. Quinn was always the loser that blew that Super Bowl lead. Kellen Moore only got the job because he was a Jerry yes man, and he's only still around because I guess someone else thinks he might be salvageable at his age (I give it a 5% chance he is still a coach in 5 years). We couldn't even find an offensive coordinator willing to work with McCarthy or Jerry. It's the fucking shithead coaches and the fact that not only would Jerry never consider a young up and comer coach, the type that is leading the league into a new era, but that none of them are going to work for a piece of shit like Jerry. I'm calling it now, after we fail yet again next year, McCarthy will get fired, and Jerry will just promote Zimmer, because why not, he's old and washed up, just like Jerry likes 'em.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I don't disagree with that @'stache. It seems that legit good coaches who have options don't even consider Dallas because they know Jerry sucks ass to work for. If the Cowboys knew what they were doing Jim Harbaugh would be here and they would get out of his way.

Anyone that willingly goes to work for Jerry knows what they are getting into. They know they will be labeled as a yes man. The Cowboys priority is not football first. It is selling drama and merchandise. Jerry thinks he is a marketing genius because he makes money off of the most popular brand in football.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I'll die on this hill if necessary: It's the coaches (and the owner since real coaches won't work for him). You don't win 12 games and get the 2nd seed without the talent being there, including at QB and the lines. Bad coaching is what gets that team down 20-0 to start a playoff game against the lowest seed in the playoffs and failing to even fight back. That's shitty game planning, shitty playcalling, and shitty in-game coaching.

Nobody else wanted McCarthy or Zimmer. Quinn was always the loser that blew that Super Bowl lead. Kellen Moore only got the job because he was a Jerry yes man, and he's only still around because I guess someone else thinks he might be salvageable at his age (I give it a 5% chance he is still a coach in 5 years). We couldn't even find an offensive coordinator willing to work with McCarthy or Jerry. It's the fucking shithead coaches and the fact that not only would Jerry never consider a young up and comer coach, the type that is leading the league into a new era, but that none of them are going to work for a piece of shit like Jerry. I'm calling it now, after we fail yet again next year, McCarthy will get fired, and Jerry will just promote Zimmer, because why not, he's old and washed up, just like Jerry likes 'em.

I think it's the culture of the organization. There's no way to have so many talented teams on paper and not make it to a single NFC Championship game in 30 years unless something in the organization is rotten to the core. Jerry treats the players and coaches as his buddies and playthings, he doesn't demand excellence from them. Strive for greatness every fucking day or you'll be replaced by someone who will. You haven't accomplished shit just by being on the Dallas Cowboys.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/5/2024 at 8:45 AM, Hermanator said:

If they cut Dak and signed Russell Wilson's washed up ass for 2 seasons while getting Trey Lance ready to start how much worse would they be?

4-5 games.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:33 AM, 'stache said:

It doesn't matter who is at QB. When your senile piece of shit coaching staff prepares like 5 plays for a fucking playoff game, is incapable of adjustment when the opposing defense plays well, and your defense puts you in a 21 point hole right off the bat, nobody is going to survive that nonsense. Everyone was covered every play and nothing changed, fuck Jerry, fuck fat mike, fuck quinn, fuck all of them, for real.

Very fucking true and fucking sad.....

On 3/5/2024 at 1:29 PM, statsman said:

In retrospect, does the decision made thirty years ago, by the owner of the most talented roster in NFL history, to create a league salary cap, rank as the dumbest fucking thing ever?

Not to his wallet.... Jerrah has enriched himself and his family to billionaire status through the fandom.  He's made way more money being the owner of the Cowboys than he did in oil....

14 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

All this talk about QB when the team should be hellbent on improving line play on both sides of the ball. 

Hell yes!!!  We're an injury away from sucking on both lines.... like bottom ten stuff.  We can correct but they need to make some wise and insightful decisions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The Dallas Cowboys are essentially a theme park?

Why not? That fits Jerry's carnival barker persona. He should build a new Aquarena Springs at Frisco, turn the DCC cheerleaders into mermaids, and bring back Ralph the swimming pig. "Wooo Pig Sooie" Jerry would be in hog heaven.

image.png.17d0cc78ba636e1bdd5b7f29e69e3a65.png

sddefault.jpg.c17d9669ba79c8b8be3f120552660dc4.jpg

image.png.fddb758b11fb30bcdf8dd561c6f1be02.png

What is the rank for these decisions?

1. Having the best roster in history, and introducing a salary cap that would force you to start lopping talent off. 
2. Firing Jimmy Johnson. 
3. Hiring Barry Switzer. 
4. (related to 3) Adopting a team management model of the GM making the hire for Coach, OC and DC, and telling them to work it out. 
5. While Parcells is really building something (he insisted that he hired his own staff, thank you), signing TO Owens, who Parcells despised. 
6. Letting Zeke coerce him into a big second contract. 
7. Making Dak one of the league’s highest paid QBs. 
8. Extending Dak and giving him a raise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

What is the rank for these decisions?

1. Having the best roster in history, and introducing a salary cap that would force you to start lopping talent off. 
2. Firing Jimmy Johnson. 
3. Hiring Barry Switzer. 
4. (related to 3) Adopting a team management model of the GM making the hire for Coach, OC and DC, and telling them to work it out. 
5. While Parcells is really building something (he insisted that he hired his own staff, thank you), signing TO Owens, who Parcells despised. 
6. Letting Zeke coerce him into a big second contract. 
7. Making Dak one of the league’s highest paid QBs. 
8. Extending Dak and giving him a raise. 

depending on the magnitude of 8, it will kill the current iteration of the team and eliminates chances of a return to actual competitiveness with a legitimate quarterback at no sooner than 2031.

On 3/7/2024 at 6:35 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

The Dallas Cowboys are essentially a theme park?

Jerrah's world is the theme park and they treat the team like the Lion's exhibit or maybe more like Sea World and the dolphin and Killer Whale show.  And the further you look, the dirtier it gets.  Because Jerrah for all his pomp and promotion, is a cheap carnival barker.

Don't ever let him lull you into the biggest lie ever told.... "Nobody wants to win more than Jerrah!"  It's utter bullshit.  Everybody wants to win more than Jerrah.  He wants to continue to enrich himself and his family and If you believe anything that comes out of his or Stephen's mouth, you're a sucker.  You're the fool they're making money off of.  They don't spend, and they blame it on the cap.  They don't spend and say they're holding it for future contracts.  They don't spend and have the mindless bitch this guy is overpaid and that guy is overpaid -- unless they just can't play, who cares.  Keeping up with the Jones'...... easy as fuck to do in the NFL.  Now how much they're making off their freak show?  That's where it's hard to keep up with.  3rd cheapest organization in the league..... maybe the most valuable.  Now, where do you think that value derives from?  Jerrah's always smiling because he's always getting fat off the fanbase, who will not abandon him because he keeps the show going.  Pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

15 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Jerrah's world is the theme park and they treat the team like the Lion's exhibit or maybe more like Sea World and the dolphin and Killer Whale show.  And the further you look, the dirtier it gets.  Because Jerrah for all his pomp and promotion, is a cheap carnival barker.

Don't ever let him lull you into the biggest lie ever told.... "Nobody wants to win more than Jerrah!"  It's utter bullshit.  Everybody wants to win more than Jerrah.  He wants to continue to enrich himself and his family and If you believe anything that comes out of his or Stephen's mouth, you're a sucker.  You're the fool they're making money off of.  They don't spend, and they blame it on the cap.  They don't spend and say they're holding it for future contracts.  They don't spend and have the mindless bitch this guy is overpaid and that guy is overpaid -- unless they just can't play, who cares.  Keeping up with the Jones'...... easy as fuck to do in the NFL.  Now how much they're making off their freak show?  That's where it's hard to keep up with.  3rd cheapest organization in the league..... maybe the most valuable.  Now, where do you think that value derives from?  Jerrah's always smiling because he's always getting fat off the fanbase, who will not abandon him because he keeps the show going.  Pathetic.

Dude is the biggest cheapskate you'll ever come across. Fuck Jerruh.

I think it's mainly Stephen who drives the cheap, bargain bin approach. Jerry toned down his approach he used to have back in the day when he got burned on some moves but Stephen takes it to a whole new level. Teams have proven you can pretty much sign whomever you want and can manipulate the cap. Dallas refuses to be players in the free agency market. We pick up the leftover scraps and think everyone is overpriced. Their motto is "we like our guys" except our guys we draft aren't good enough to win. Way too many busts and underperforming to rely solely on the homegrown talent.

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think it's mainly Stephen who drives the cheap, bargain bin approach. Jerry toned down his approach he used to have back in the day when he got burned on some moves but Stephen takes it to a whole new level. Teams have proven you can pretty much sign whomever you want and can manipulate the cap. Dallas refuses to be players in the free agency market. We pick up the leftover scraps and think everyone is overpriced. Their motto is "we like our guys" except our guys we draft aren't good enough to win. Way too many busts and underperforming to rely solely on the homegrown talent.

Nah. Jerry is a typical bullshitter. He overpays a guy here or there, sure. But that doesn't mean he likes to spend money. That just means he's willing to give out a big contract to a popular player every now and again to keep up the appearance of caring about winning.

Jones has always gone cheap on coaches... probably did so with Jimmy Johnson too. It occurs to me, or wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a deeper story behind Johnson's sudden departure. What if a big talking Jerry Jones told his pal Jimmy that if he came to work for him in Dallas, and if he was successful, Jones would give him a piece of the pie, or some amazing incentive, and that after three Superbowls, Jimmy decided to call his bluff...

Jones of course would have said no. I dont need you to win.

It would be the kind of "disagreement" neither could really talk about afterward, but it would also be the kind of broken verbal contract that someone like Johnson wouldnt stick around to bitch about - that he would bolt immediately.

Pollard to Titans 3 years / $24 mil. Thats too high for a very good change of pace back. Would pair great with Henry but that ain’t happening.

I’m sure Jerry is now looking for a new washed up oft injured overpaid RB. Saquan? How bout Zeke!

What's the financial incentive for a football team like the cowboys to make the playoffs, and go all the way to the super bowl?

We know the players will receive more bonus money, what does the franchise get?

8 minutes ago, freyguy said:

What's the financial incentive for a football team like the cowboys to make the playoffs, and go all the way to the super bowl?

We know the players will receive more bonus money, what does the franchise get?

Everything. You stand to win everything.

no-country-for-old-men-old-men.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Stopping in to check if there is some power outage in Dallas area....or if the Cowboys have been hacked so they can't make any communications or moves.

Henry to Ravens is the last straw....

These mfers better have some  draft / trade plan to get a REAL backfield.

I guess after they restructure Dak's contract (sigh), they'll have additional cap space. There might be some decent options left but who knows. Right now, they only have 2 million so there is no one they can afford except a deep snapper. So we have to hope Will McClay has a stellar plan for the draft...where we'll be drafting for need...again. 

I don't see how even the most diehead of Cowboys fans can have any sort of optimism going into next season. Feels like we're about to take a big step back. 

Edited by mdmost

If this is the plan to just tear it down, I could get onboard with it. Not that I trust this front office to actually be able to find the next QB on purpose (haven't did this since Aikman) but it would at least be a breath of fresh air and they could admit this core just isn't it. Take Dak's contract hit, ride it out, cut bait with him and the coaching staff, see what you have in Lance and go forward. 

But that would mean a plan is in place and when is a plan ever in place with this hillbilly circus ownership? I'm sure they will extend Dak to kick the can down the road but any free agent worth a damn is long gone. We sign spare free agents for cheap and brag about quantity over quality. Rinse lather repeat every year and get the same exact result.

Also, until the front 7 is improved, this team will continue to get manhandled by any team with a pulse come playoff time. That was the theme of every single playoff loss in the last 3 years. Defense got dominated up front and pushed around. Zero pressure, WRs open constantly, demoralizing drives for scores. A common theme but all we never take the interior of the defense seriously. And Mazi Smith and then trying to convert him to the opposite of what he was in college was ridiculous.

Most laughed at Houston when their bright future looking team of Deshaun Watson and Hopkins folded quick and they had to tear it down to nothing. And just like that, they now look to have their guy at QB and a lot of young talent. Granted, it took some luck to get Stroud but their front office actually had a plan in place.

Dak shouldn't be extended at this point.  An extension of Lamb feels more likely and would free up to 13 million in cap space. It makes much more sense to have the QB/HC on the same contract timeline if you are truly going to look to make a change in the near future. But who knows anymore, what makes sense is never what actually goes down in Frisco..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If this is the plan to just tear it down, I could get onboard with it. Not that I trust this front office to actually be able to find the next QB on purpose (haven't did this since Aikman) but it would at least be a breath of fresh air and they could admit this core just isn't it. Take Dak's contract hit, ride it out, cut bait with him and the coaching staff, see what you have in Lance and go forward. 

But that would mean a plan is in place and when is a plan ever in place with this hillbilly circus ownership? I'm sure they will extend Dak to kick the can down the road but any free agent worth a damn is long gone. We sign spare free agents for cheap and brag about quantity over quality. Rinse lather repeat every year and get the same exact result.

Also, until the front 7 is improved, this team will continue to get manhandled by any team with a pulse come playoff time. That was the theme of every single playoff loss in the last 3 years. Defense got dominated up front and pushed around. Zero pressure, WRs open constantly, demoralizing drives for scores. A common theme but all we never take the interior of the defense seriously. And Mazi Smith and then trying to convert him to the opposite of what he was in college was ridiculous.

Most laughed at Houston when their bright future looking team of Deshaun Watson and Hopkins folded quick and they had to tear it down to nothing. And just like that, they now look to have their guy at QB and a lot of young talent. Granted, it took some luck to get Stroud but their front office actually had a plan in place.

I think one of Jerry's biggest fears is returning to that time period between Aikman and Romo where it was a rotating list of spare QBs that brought losing records every season. He doesn't have Parcells over there to make chicken salad out of a shit QB like Quincy. Dak provides consistency. He'll extend Dak. He's too old and too afraid to do the hard thing that might benefit the franchise more in the long run. The real shit thing is it appears Stephen might be a worse future GM than Jerry. My only hope is Stephen can be shamed to give up that position after Jerry passes on and he takes over. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Given the attrition and lack of any signings or even rumors of signings, why not?

I feel like being a Cowboys fan over the past 30 years gives one a unique understanding of what it must be like to be an aggy.

I can't even imagine being both a Cowboys and aggy fan.