2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Nobody--least of all his own fans--is giving Dak sole credit.

You just made a stupid comment about Dak being unable to win without a "proper running game." I addressed it. But instead of admitting your take was dumb, you're trying to shift this to "people are giving Dak all the credit for wins" when it's the opposite--you weren't giving him ANY credit for those wins.

Do better.

With Dak

Cowboys record when they have 30+ rush attempts: 53-7

Cowboys record when they have less than 30 rush attempts: 20-34

Cowboys record when they have a guy rush for 100+ yards: 64-17

Cowboys record when they don't have a rusher over 100 yards: 9-24

These are indisputable facts. They do not care about your feelings. So instead of resorting to insults, how about you do better.

38 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Actually Dak went 12-6. Cucked and fucked by a 7 seed.

Dallas' regular season record was 12-5. Even if you want to include the postseason disaster, that's still 12 wins and a 67% win-rate "without a proper running game" for Dak and the Cowboys, which is the point I was making.

Dak isn't an elite QB. I don't think he should be resigned for $50MM--$60MM/yr or whatever amount they are throwing around. But no QB is going to return Dallas to the promised land with the current leadership. The issue starts are the top, from owner and managers to coaches. Until that changes, we Cowboys fans will continue to have lots of free time in January.

22 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Dak throwing multiple first half picks and a pick 6 against a mid GB defense is the coaches fault? Not buying. Everyone failed. Including Dak.

Also lol at that Mahomes take. Patrick Mahomes can win anywhere because he's a bad ass motherfucker. He makes everything around him better. He raises everybody's level. Before him, the Chiefs were a cute little team that couldn't win in the playoffs because their QB had a BB gun arm and couldn't score in the red zone. Andy Reid was a "choker". Now he's one of the greatest coaches ever and Mahomes would be nothing without him. Give me a break.

You mean after going down three td's and without any adjustments whatsoever to the routes all of which were covered every play and without changing the blocking schemes? His choice is to try and force passes, take a sack, or throw the ball away, all of which would draw ire from the fans. Meanwhile, GB had receivers wide open without a defender within 5 yards. That's coaching, plain and simple. Dak may not be "elite," however we're defining it these days, but he sure as fuck isn't the reason we got rammed by GB like a cheap $5 prostitute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

With Dak

Cowboys record when they have 30+ rush attempts: 53-7

Cowboys record when they have less than 30 rush attempts: 20-34

These are indisputable facts. They do not care about your feelings. So instead of resorting to insults, how about you do better.

Moving goal posts. Allow me to remind you what you said:

Matt Stafford can win games without a proper running game. Dak's record without a legit running game is abysmal.

Dak's record last season without a "legit running game" was 12-5. Your point was immediately and irrefutably debunked ... because it was stupid and easily shown as false. That's not an insult, that's a fact.  If you don't want your takes called out for being stupid, then like I suggested earlier, do better.

Are you genuinely trying to insist that Dallas last season DID have a legit running game? Please, please, please answer this, because if you say yes, then that's a second-straight incomprehensibly idiotic take for you, and if you admit that no, Dallas did NOT, then you are contradicting your original assertion that Dak can't win without a "legit running game."

There is a concept called “complementary football”, where the offensive schemes and defensive schemes support each other, mesh together. 

For example, a hurry up offense doesn’t need to be paired with a shallow defensive roster, because a couple of three-and -outs on offense, and the defense is done for the game. That’s a simple example. 

Im sure there are more granular and detailed examples, and I imagine it takes a head coach really knowledgeable about both sides of the ball to really work them out. 

Since 1994, it has been Jerry Jones picking the offensive and defensive schemes, because he not only hires the head coach; he also hires the coordinators. Because he’s a “football man”. 

Were in good hands, Dallas fans. 😬

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Moving goal posts. Allow me to remind you what you said:

Dak's record last season without a "legit running game" was 12-5. Your point was immediately and irrefutably debunked ... because it was stupid and easily shown as false. That's not an insult, that's a fact.  If you don't want your takes called out for being stupid, then like I suggested earlier, do better.

Are you genuinely trying to insist that Dallas last season DID have a legit running game? Please, please, please answer this, because if you say yes, then that's a second-straight incomprehensibly idiotic take for you, and if you admit that no, Dallas did NOT, then you are contradicting your original assertion that Dak can't win without a "legit running game."

Dallas beat up on a bunch of shitty teams. The data suggests the Cowboys lose lots of games when they don't run the ball well with Dak. This is indisputable. You have nothing on your side other than last years record. But feel free to keep smearing shit all over your face.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Dak is a problem for sure, but let's be clear, he's not THE problem.  I said it earlier and I'll say it again, until there is a meaningful change in leadership, the Cowboys are doomed to live in the middle of the NFL pack.

Dak is a slightly above average QB.  We don't lose a lot of games because of him, but we also don't win many games because of him.

But frankly, Jerry and Mike could have Brady in his prime and still lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Dak is a problem for sure, but let's be clear, he's not THE problem.  I said it earlier and I'll say it again, until there is a meaningful change in leadership, the Cowboys are doomed to live in the middle of the NFL pack.

Dak is a slightly above average QB.  We don't lose a lot of games because of him, but we also don't win many games because of him.

But frankly, Jerry and Mike could have Brady in his prime and still lose in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I personally think he's way above average and could be top 5 with good coaching, but it's just an opinion, and we'll never know unless he goes somewhere else, so it's not worth fighting over. I just get so annoyed when 90% of the complaints are about Dak and not the obese piece of shit that jerry refuses to fire, and the fact that nobody worth a shit will work for jerry. So it goes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Dallas beat up on a bunch of shitty teams. The data suggests the Cowboys lose lots of games when they don't run the ball well with Dak. This is indisputable. You have nothing on your side other than last years record. But feel free to keep smearing shit all over your face.

"Matt Stafford can win games without a proper running game. Dak's record without a legit running game is abysmal."

You wrote that. As far as I know, nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to make a statement that was so easily disproven but very recent and objective data.

Since you neglected to address the question, is it safe to assume that you agree that Dallas did not possess a "legit running game" during the 2023 season? By extension, is it then reasonable to conclude that you now disagree with the italicized material, which you stated not but a few hours ago, and now concede that Dak can win without a proper running game behind him?

24 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

"Matt Stafford can win games without a proper running game. Dak's record without a legit running game is abysmal."

You wrote that. As far as I know, nobody held a gun to your head and forced you to make a statement that was so easily disproven but very recent and objective data.

Since you neglected to address the question, is it safe to assume that you agree that Dallas did not possess a "legit running game" during the 2023 season? By extension, is it then reasonable to conclude that you now disagree with the italicized material, which you stated not but a few hours ago, and now concede that Dak can win without a proper running game behind him?

Why are you so obsessed with that quote? I clarified what I was saying with real data. Not my fault you refuse to accept it and move on.

Furthermore, Dallas in wins last year rushed for 118 ypg. In losses they rushed for 104 ypg. That is majorly propped up by 180 rush yards in the Cardinals loss. Tony Pollard rushed for 1005 yards on 252 attempts. He was good for 12th in the NFL. So....all that bullshit just for me to tell you that yeah, they were in the upper-middle of the league in rushing last year.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

Why are you so obsessed with that quote? I clarified what I was saying with real data. Not my fault you refuse to accept it and move on.

Furthermore, Dallas in wins last year rushed for 118 ypg. In losses they rushed for 104 ypg. That is majorly propped up by 180 rush yards in the Cardinals loss. Tony Pollard rushed for 1005 yards on 252 attempts. He was good for 12th in the NFL. So....all that bullshit just for me to tell you that yeah, they were in the top half of the league in rushing last year.

Still moving goalposts. You used the terms "proper running game" and "legit running game" and implied Dak couldn't win without one. You refuse to admit that this was wrong and stupid, despite clear evidence to the contrary, so it doesn't seem like it's me who can't "accept and move on."

Incidentally, prior to 2023, Pollard was averaging 5.1 yards per carry for his career. He netted 4.0 yards per rush in 2023. The league average that season was 4.1.

In fact, the only player on the team with more than 14 carries to exceed the league average was ... Dak Prescott (4.4 ypc).

In virtually all metrics, Dallas' ground game was middle of the pack in 2023 and was neither proper nor legit.

33 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Still moving goalposts. You used the terms "proper running game" and "legit running game" and implied Dak couldn't win without one. You refuse to admit that this was wrong and stupid, despite clear evidence to the contrary, so it doesn't seem like it's me who can't "accept and move on."

Incidentally, prior to 2023, Pollard was averaging 5.1 yards per carry for his career. He netted 4.0 yards per rush in 2023. The league average that season was 4.1.

In fact, the only player on the team with more than 14 carries to exceed the league average was ... Dak Prescott (4.4 ypc).

In virtually all metrics, Dallas' ground game was middle of the pack in 2023 and was neither proper nor legit.

All you're doing is clinging to your interpretation of the word "legit". If I replace that word with "viable" which is really more how I meant it, you'd have nothing. The data and numbers that I posted should have been enough to clarify that, but you seem to be having too much fun playing your little game of semantics.

Edited by Pam Cummings

Are we the Nebraska of the NFL? Thoroughly passed up by the rest of the NFL with no realistic pathway back to relevance without huge structural change that is not likely to happen anytime soon? But since we won some shit 30 years ago a subset of fans will always feel like we’re entitled to be good and a return to those glory days is just right around the corner.

I’m going to pick some other random team that doesn’t give a single fuck about us and start blaming them for all our problems. Guys, the Pittsburgh Steelers did this to us! It’s their fault! If they hadn’t started Steelers Network, we wouldn’t be fucking useless for the rest of eternity!!

4 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

All you're doing is clinging to your interpretation of the word "legit". If I replace that word with "viable" which is really more how I meant it, you'd have nothing. The data and numbers that I posted should have been enough to clarify that, but you seem to be having too much fun playing your little game of semantics.

So you continue to redefine what you consider to be a viable, legit or proper running game, and then say I'M the one playing games with semantics? 🤣

Even in your clarification, you posted a bunch of irrelevant stats that, like your initial statement, are completely undermined once one takes a closer look. For example: 

Quoting those numbers means that you believe having a 100-yard rusher has a significant impact on Dak's performance. Fair enough, let's take a look at 2023 then, shall we?

Hmm. The Cowboys had a 100-yard rusher once last season ... and they lost that game. So Dak and the team were 12-4 in games in which Dallas didn't have a 100-yard rusher last season.

Ergo, the data indicates that Dallas' running game doesn't have the direct correlation on Dak's performance that you seem to think it does.

11 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So you continue to redefine what you consider to be a viable, legit or proper running game, and then say I'M the one playing games with semantics? 🤣

Even in your clarification, you posted a bunch of irrelevant stats that, like your initial statement, are completely undermined once one takes a closer look. For example: 

Quoting those numbers means that you believe having a 100-yard rusher has a significant impact on Dak's performance. Fair enough, let's take a look at 2023 then, shall we?

Hmm. The Cowboys had a 100-yard rusher once last season ... and they lost that game. So Dak and the team were 12-4 in games in which Dallas didn't have a 100-yard rusher last season.

Ergo, the data indicates that Dallas' running game doesn't have the direct correlation on Dak's performance that you seem to think it does.

What kind of galaxy brain thinks a one season sample size trumps the entire career worth of sample size? I already said last year was just Dallas beating up on shitty teams and losing to good ones. We should have known this shit when he couldn't make the playoffs the year Zeke got suspended.

Edited by Pam Cummings

You said Dak couldn't win without a running game. He obviously can.

Doesn't make Dak elite and it doesn't make him a playoff Wunderkind. It does mean, however, that you were wrong. Move the goalposts all you want (now you're trying to redefine what constitutes a win! LoL), but it's not going to change any of those facts.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

You said Dak couldn't win without a running game. He obviously can.

Doesn't make Dak elite and it doesn't make him a playoff Wunderkind. It does mean, however, that you were wrong. Move the goalposts all you want (now you're trying to redefine what constitutes a win! LoL), but it's not going to change any of those facts.

I still can't figure what you and Drew are arguing?  Dak has an established seven-year track record of doing pretty well in a handful of regular season games that are of little consequence.  Great quarterbacks are measured by how they perform in high-pressure situations.  And for seven years Dak has proven that he is a nutless shit-smear who has been stealing money and will continue to steal money while continuing to fail spectacularly when it matters because he's a fraud and a pussy and a mental midget and a rapist and a sub-standard, shitty example of a quarterback and a human being.  he is trash.  quit defending him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, futureman said:

I still can't figure what you and Drew are arguing?  Dak has an established seven-year track record of doing pretty well in a handful of regular season games that are of little consequence.  Great quarterbacks are measured by how they perform in high-pressure situations.  And for seven years Dak has proven that he is a nutless shit-smear who has been stealing money and will continue to steal money while continuing to fail spectacularly when it matters because he's a fraud and a pussy and a mental midget and a rapist and a sub-standard, shitty example of a quarterback and a human being.  he is trash.  quit defending him.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upiihf1u9vnsy62y1af

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/13/2024 at 8:51 AM, Drew said:

Shhhh don’t say that.

They’ll be so much better with some mid QB or Trey Lance or a Rookie.

Daks a bum.

BTW if Dak plays here next year they still gonna win 10 games. And it’ll show just how important and how good he is doing that.

Then he should rightfully walk away picking the right spot for him.

I’ll always be a cowboys fan. But I’ll love watching him win on another team and show what he is.

Win WHAT? Regular season? Whoop tee doo

I say they don't extended Dak.  Make him play on a prove it year.  If he doesn't work out let him walk, if he does (he won't) pay him.
Sign Ceedee and Micah. 
Then see what you got in a 25 year old Trey Lance next year at a bargain.  
Trey Lance will be garbage. He looked terrible under the SF scheme that makes Jimmy G and Purdy look good. They cut bait with him as soon as they saw he has zero future. Now throw him into this circus act, can't imagine how bad he will look.
  • Haha 1

I say they don't extended Dak.  Make him play on a prove it year.  If he doesn't work out let him walk, if he does (he won't) pay him.
Sign Ceedee and Micah. 
Then see what you got in a 25 year old Trey Lance next year at a bargain.  

Why are you already extending Micah? I don’t believe he is worth $40 mil a year but there’s no reason to pay him now. He’s a $5.4 mil cap hit in 24 and $21m in 25. You can then franchise him in 26. Or trade him for picks.

Updated Top 51 Cap Space

1. WSH, $63M
2. NE, $58M
3. TEN, $55M
4. PHI, $39M
5. CHI, $31.7M
6. DET, $31M
7. ARZ, $30M
8. CIN, $29.6M
9. LV, $29.5M
10. LAC, $29.1M
11. GB, $25M
12. LAR, $23.7M
13. IND, $23.2M
14. DEN, $21M
15. MIN, $19.3M
16. SEA, $19.2M
17. CAR, $19.1M
18. HOU, $19M
19. SF, $17.4M
20. BUF, $17.2M
21. NO, $16M
22. KC, $15.8M
23. JAX, $15M
24. BAL, $14M
25. PIT, $12M
26. NYG, $11M
27. CLE, $8.2M
28. TB, $8M
29. NYJ, $7.9M
30. MIA, $5M
31. ATL, $4.3M
32. DAL, $4M

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/15/2024 at 5:45 PM, tokamak said:

Are we the Nebraska of the NFL? Thoroughly passed up by the rest of the NFL with no realistic pathway back to relevance without huge structural change that is not likely to happen anytime soon? But since we won some shit 30 years ago a subset of fans will always feel like we’re entitled to be good and a return to those glory days is just right around the corner.

I’m going to pick some other random team that doesn’t give a single fuck about us and start blaming them for all our problems. Guys, the Pittsburgh Steelers did this to us! It’s their fault! If they hadn’t started Steelers Network, we wouldn’t be fucking useless for the rest of eternity!!

I don't think we're Nebraska. I mean, they've just run into the geographic, financial and cultural limitations of Nebraska as a state at a time in college football's evolution when those things matter a lot. They can still have some decent 8 and 9-win seasons if they get their act together, but they're no longer a serious candidate for a national title based on things out of their control.

Dallas, on the other hand, is the 9th largest city in the US, the franchise is the most valuable in all of sports, with a television cache that admittedly defies rational explanation after all these years, has resources and some sharp-looking uniforms, and has actually assembled a decently stocked roster. There's no reason the Cowboys shouldn't be at least in play for a Super Bowl every now and then save the egomaniacal cancer running the show.

In short, Nebraska is now facing the real-life consequences of being Nebraska. The Dallas Cowboys management is just fucking the team up and has been for almost three decades.

• Hook 'Em 3

Updated Top 51 Cap Space
1. WSH, $63M
2. NE, $58M
3. TEN, $55M
4. PHI, $39M
5. CHI, $31.7M
6. DET, $31M
7. ARZ, $30M
8. CIN, $29.6M
9. LV, $29.5M
10. LAC, $29.1M
11. GB, $25M
12. LAR, $23.7M
13. IND, $23.2M
14. DEN, $21M
15. MIN, $19.3M
16. SEA, $19.2M
17. CAR, $19.1M
18. HOU, $19M
19. SF, $17.4M
20. BUF, $17.2M
21. NO, $16M
22. KC, $15.8M
23. JAX, $15M
24. BAL, $14M
25. PIT, $12M
26. NYG, $11M
27. CLE, $8.2M
28. TB, $8M
29. NYJ, $7.9M
30. MIA, $5M
31. ATL, $4.3M
32. DAL, $4M

All in...w/$4M,lulz
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Why are you already extending Micah? I don’t believe he is worth $40 mil a year but there’s no reason to pay him now. He’s a $5.4 mil cap hit in 24 and $21m in 25. You can then franchise him in 26. Or trade him for picks.

Well of course, that's why I'm hiring you as my director of player personel so I don't make boneheaded mistakes like that. 

• Haha 1

Five year projection

Cowboys stand by Dak. His stats get worse every year. The team gets worse every year. Cowboys can't get rid of him. Trey Lance traded. Makes strides as backup. Gets starter role. Wins Super Bowl. Junior Jones arrested and imprisoned for trying to smother father in his sleep. Jerry Jones continues to run team from Iron Lung. As hail mary, rehires Jason Garrett to return Cowboys to greatness. Garrett, who has been in his garage workshop studying NFL trends for three years, brings back Dave Campo, another Trend Watcher. Cowboys convince Dak to retire and then win ten games. Senile Jones loses Cowboys in poker game to unemployed construction worker. Court upholds. Fans celebrate. New era begins.

So folks, only five more years of this shit and we'll be ready to roll.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Five year projection

Cowboys stand by Dak. His stats get worse every year. The team gets worse every year. Cowboys can't get rid of him. Trey Lance traded. Makes strides as backup. Gets starter role. Wins Super Bowl. Junior Jones arrested and imprisoned for trying to smother father in his sleep. Jerry Jones continues to run team from Iron Lung. As hail mary, rehires Jason Garrett to return Cowboys to greatness. Garrett, who has been in his garage workshop studying NFL trends for three years, brings back Dave Campo, another Trend Watcher. Cowboys convince Dak to retire and then win ten games. Senile Jones loses Cowboys in poker game to unemployed construction worker. Court upholds. Fans celebrate. New era begins.

So folks, only five more years of this shit and we'll be ready to roll.

Sounds way more interesting than going 9-8 and a first round playoff exit every year, which is what is actually going to happen.

16 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

I don't think we're Nebraska. I mean, they've just run into the geographic, financial and cultural limitations of Nebraska as a state at a time in college football's evolution when those things matter a lot. They can still have some decent 8 and 9-win seasons if they get their act together, but they're no longer a serious candidate for a national title based on things out of their control.

Dallas, on the other hand, is the 9th largest city in the US, the franchise is the most valuable in all of sports, with a television cache that admittedly defies rational explanation after all these years, has resources and some sharp-looking uniforms, and has actually assembled a decently stocked roster. There's no reason the Cowboys shouldn't be at least in play for a Super Bowl every now and then save the egomaniacal cancer running the show.

In short, Nebraska is now facing the real-life consequences of being Nebraska. The Dallas Cowboys management is just fucking the team up and has been for almost three decades.

Sure, in theory the Cowboys’ structural problem (ownership by the Jones family) is less impossible to overcome than Nebraska’s (it’s in fucking Nebraska lol). But in practice, the chance that the Jones family relinquishes control of team is about the same as the chance that Lincoln, NE transforms into Los Angeles. 

great comment from Reddit: 

This is a great move for the Cowboys. As active as they have been during free agency, this gives them plenty of room for Jerry to potentially look to add a 2nd player in a month or so.

• Haha 3

On 3/22/2024 at 8:32 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Best IDL vs the run has now left and Hankins had a lost a step too..... So... what's the plan because these guys aren't cheap.  At least the good ones...

Don't worry. Jerry's on it.

Give him another 20 years ad he'll have it all ironed out.

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

So this was indeed their plan. Ride out his contract and move on. Hence why they made no moves this year5b98a7416e7bf52261cffe9cf6afc01b.jpg

I don’t believe it for a second but if jerry has the balls for that then there may be some hope left for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1