2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

3 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t believe it for a second but if jerry has the balls for that then there may be some hope left for us. 

If that's the case, then this front office is even dumber than advertised and that would be pretty dumb. The price for QBs will only rise every year. I hope it isn't them thinking his price tag will come down. Look at what Cousins, Mayfield and Daniel Jones have made on their new deals lately.

Either Dak's team didn't like the lowball numbers the front office made and wants to bet on themselves or both sides just agreed to move on from each other. No real idea. But they did trade for Trey Lance, might as well see what you have with that piece.

Jerry did end up moving on from Romo, although under different circumstances. But he was ready to play around November and could have easily came in and took back over. Front office had no more faith he could actually stay healthy.

I just hope they don't think replacing the QB is going to solve all their problems. Still so many holes, especially in the trenches on both sides.

And another aspect of Trey Lance is we are wasting his cheap years. I assume he won't play this season and that would be 2 full years of sitting on the bench we can't take advantage of. The best recipe is to take advantage of your QB on their cheaper deals. If you have zero faith in Dak to win going forward, what is the point of even starting him this year? You need to see what you have in Lance to see if he's even a viable option. So much unknown about him except when he did start at SF, he wasn't good. I'd hate to give an extension to someone you have zero idea they can even play.

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If that's the case, then this front office is even dumber than advertised and that would be pretty dumb. The price for QBs will only rise every year. I hope it isn't them thinking his price tag will come down. Look at what Cousins, Mayfield and Daniel Jones have made on their new deals lately.

Either Dak's team didn't like the lowball numbers the front office made and wants to bet on themselves or both sides just agreed to move on from each other. No real idea. But they did trade for Trey Lance, might as well see what you have with that piece.

Jerry did end up moving on from Romo, although under different circumstances. But he was ready to play around November and could have easily came in and took back over. Front office had no more faith he could actually stay healthy.

I just hope they don't think replacing the QB is going to solve all their problems. Still so many holes, especially in the trenches on both sides.

NFL contracts and salary cap considerations are way over my head, but my reading of the situation is that we've been kicking the can down the road for years with Dak's contract(s) but you can only do that for so long before you eventually have to eat shit one year. So the Joneses have decided to eat shit this year and hit the reset button on the team's salary cap situation. I'm sure they feel like they can beat other offers if they really want to re-sign him after this year.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

NFL contracts and salary cap considerations are way over my head, but my reading of the situation is that we've been kicking the can down the road for years with Dak's contract(s) but you can only do that for so long before you eventually have to eat shit one year. So the Joneses have decided to eat shit this year and hit the reset button on the team's salary cap situation. I'm sure they feel like they can beat other offers if they really want to re-sign him after this year.

But this makes no real sense because that's bad business and money management. Keep kicking the can down the road and eat shit when that player is done and then you retool. As long as you have the QB you think can win, move the money around to keep re-stocking with talent every year. Them signing him to a brand new deal next year isn't going to be beneficial for the team in terms of what else they can sign. If this is their approach, then there is no hope. You only ride it out if you plan on moving on with someone else ala Lance.

And then the Trey Lance trade would make even less sense than it actually has.

42 minutes ago, tokamak said:

IIRC there's also a dead money hit in 2025 if they don't re-sign Dak. Not as punitive as Russell Wilson at Denver but it's significant.

19 minutes ago, The Dog said:

IIRC there's also a dead money hit in 2025 if they don't re-sign Dak. Not as punitive as Russell Wilson at Denver but it's significant.

$40.4m 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

If they couldn't extend/re-sign Dak, it probably would have made sense to pivot this current offseason and trade him for premium draft picks and eat the cap hit before Lamb/Parsons get paid 

They will most likely get a 3rd round comp for him though if they let him leave, along with this season's worth of production 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Sounds like a prove it year, but as long as fat fuck is coaching well either make the playoffs again and get overwhelmingly out coached in another playoff game, or miss the playoffs altogether. So who fucking cares. Free agency after the season and 6 wins the next year, if we’re lucky, with Lance. All in my ass. The coach sucks, no qb is gonna overcome a complete lack of game planning or adjustment.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Sounds like a prove it year, but as long as fat fuck is coaching well either make the playoffs again and get overwhelmingly out coached in another playoff game, or miss the playoffs altogether. So who fucking cares. Free agency after the season and 6 wins the next year, if we’re lucky, with Lance. All in my ass. The coach sucks, no qb is gonna overcome a complete lack of game planning or adjustment.

If you are telling your almost 10 year vet that you need to "prove it", that speaks wonders to how much they don't believe in him. Time to move on if thats the case. I'm sure the list is next to none of guys who take 9-10 years to finally get over the hump. I guess you can point to Elway but he had way more success than Dak once he finally won it all and had already been to a Super Bowl. The only one I can think of is Stafford, but it took him going to a whole new franchise and a great coach for QBs. So if that's the case, Dak won't do it here.

But those who think replacing Dak alone is going to magically cure things will have a hard dose of reality. I'm not against replacing Dak at this point but there are still so many holes to fill. OL and DL being the main ones. Those are huge areas of concern. Then their approach to drafting. Last year's class so far looks like a big bag of dog shit. 

You know this ends with Jerry overpaying Dak in the next offseason. This is the way of Jerry. I don't see how anyone can have a shred of optimism about next season. Lame duck head coach. Lame duck DC and defensive staff. Lame duck QB. And people will gladly pay good money to see this in person. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

You know this ends with Jerry overpaying Dak in the next offseason. This is the way of Jerry. I don't see how anyone can have a shred of optimism about next season. Lame duck head coach. Lame duck DC and defensive staff. Lame duck QB. And people will gladly pay good money to see this in person. 

I have none. I think we can dick around to the playoffs because we own Washington and NYG and can usually split Philly. Especially with the extra playoff spot these days. But in terms of actually winning in the playoffs? No hope. Only if we somehow get matched up with a shitty team like Tampa a few seasons ago. But once we face a legit team, no shot. And let's not pretend this Green Bay team was super legit. They caught fire late and were a sleeper team but weren't a contender. But we made them look like one. That was about as bad a playoff loss as I can remember. Minnesota 2009 and Detroit 1991 also come to mind. Just dominated start to finish and stood no chance. Except this one was at home. Embarrassing. 

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

The only one I can think of is Stafford, but it took him going to a whole new franchise and a great coach for QBs.

Stafford is also talented, unlike the dipshit we have.  Dak would have lost 60 straight games in Detroit.  Dak fucking sucks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

If you are telling your almost 10 year vet that you need to "prove it", that speaks wonders to how much they don't believe in him. Time to move on if thats the case. I'm sure the list is next to none of guys who take 9-10 years to finally get over the hump. I guess you can point to Elway but he had way more success than Dak once he finally won it all and had already been to a Super Bowl. The only one I can think of is Stafford, but it took him going to a whole new franchise and a great coach for QBs. So if that's the case, Dak won't do it here.

But those who think replacing Dak alone is going to magically cure things will have a hard dose of reality. I'm not against replacing Dak at this point but there are still so many holes to fill. OL and DL being the main ones. Those are huge areas of concern. Then their approach to drafting. Last year's class so far looks like a big bag of dog shit. 

22 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I have none. I think we can dick around to the playoffs because we own Washington and NYG and can usually split Philly. Especially with the extra playoff spot these days. But in terms of actually winning in the playoffs? No hope. Only if we somehow get matched up with a shitty team like Tampa a few seasons ago. But once we face a legit team, no shot. And let's not pretend this Green Bay team was super legit. They caught fire late and were a sleeper team but weren't a contender. But we made them look like one. That was about as bad a playoff loss as I can remember. Minnesota 2009 and Detroit 1991 also come to mind. Just dominated start to finish and stood no chance. Except this one was at home. Embarrassing. 

I'm just sick of people blaming Dak for McCarthy's incompetence (and Garrett before him). That Green Bay game was 100% coaching. LeFleur knows how to do it, McCarthy is a fat piece of shit. Defense wasn't anywhere near their receivers. Meanwhile, our receivers are all covered, an no adjustment. Just mindboggling how a coach can be so incapable of even trying to adjust when the opponent comes out hot. The fact that McCarthy wasn't fired that evening is why this franchise is fucked, forever. The owner is fucking pathetic.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm just sick of people blaming Dak for McCarthy's incompetence (and Garrett before him). That Green Bay game was 100% coaching. LeFleur knows how to do it, McCarthy is a fat piece of shit. Defense wasn't anywhere near their receivers. Meanwhile, our receivers are all covered, an no adjustment. Just mindboggling how a coach can be so incapable of even trying to adjust when the opponent comes out hot. The fact that McCarthy wasn't fired that evening is why this franchise is fucked, forever. The owner is fucking pathetic.

But fanbase will continue to only blame Dak and think it will magically change after. Remember hearing this same stuff at the end of Aikman's tenure. And we all know the black hole between Aikman and Romo. 

Not a ton of hope for Trey Lance, who couldn't even succeed in the SF QB friendly system to succeeding in our circus franchise. Good luck with that young man who has almost no QB experience at this level.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

If you are telling your almost 10 year vet that you need to "prove it", that speaks wonders to how much they don't believe in him. Time to move on if thats the case.

If that's the case then the smart move is to cut him or trade him with a post 6/1 designation - although the 2025 dead money hit is the same it does save Dallas $29 million in cap this year with a $26.5 million dead money hit.

again, not as punitive as Wilson with Denver but if you're going "all in" on a rebuild it's the right thing to do. 

I sure hope this is what Jerry does because there are a LOT of teams that would pay Dak for his services. 

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Seeing how we crushed it in FA 

7-9 this year at best. Dak will throw for 6500 yards though because we have no run game and always playing from behind 

dak's specialty, fluffed up garbage stats that make mouth-breathers like drew think he's elite.  we've done it for 8 goddamn years, what's another one.

15 hours ago, mdmost said:

That would be so dumb. I don't have any faith that these idiots figure out how to win. But giving Dak a big contract and security hasn't worked. Let's see what happens when the motherfucker knows he is under real pressure to perform. And I'm not talking regular season stats. I'm talking about being a real leader in the playoffs. Not a dude throwing pick 6s and looking dejected on the sidelines doing absolutely zero to inspire or lead his teammates.

10 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Seeing how we crushed it in FA 

7-9 this year at best. Dak will throw for 6500 yards though because we have no run game and always playing from behind 

Well he'll also be running for his life because 40% of our starting OL is going to be guys off the street.

• Haha 1

Well he'll also be running for his life because 40% of our starting OL is going to be guys off the street.
Yep, OL is going to be bad. DL is also going to bad. Won't be able to run the ball or stop the run. Recipe for disaster.

19 hours ago, Fud said:

$40.4m 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

If they couldn't extend/re-sign Dak, it probably would have made sense to pivot this current offseason and trade him for premium draft picks and eat the cap hit before Lamb/Parsons get paid 

They will most likely get a 3rd round comp for him though if they let him leave, along with this season's worth of production 

Saw Adam Schefter say dead cap hit of over $95mill for Dak that could be spread out over a few years.  I thought the $40.4mill number on Spotrac was more accurate??

Screenshot_20240327-111504_kindlephoto-32087458.png.854d0e29dd06950cb8432cce5c3f1b7c.png

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Saw Adam Schefter say dead cap hit of over $95mill for Dak that could be spread out over a few years.  I thought the $40.4mill number on Spotrac was more accurate??

Screenshot_20240327-111504_kindlephoto-32087458.png.854d0e29dd06950cb8432cce5c3f1b7c.png

I saw cowboys twitter people correcting him on his tweet 

• Like 1

Trey Lance is the plan.  It was written when they made the trade.

All we've heard from Dak lately was that he was skipping the probowl to prepare for the birth of his child (who wasn't born until 2 months after the probowl), a sexual assault scandal, and that they've restructured his contract to free up $5mil in cap space.  Also, remember Dak wanted this 4 year deal so he could sign a bigger 3rd contract.  The cowboys were pushing 5 years.  They'll let him walk, because Jerry thinks he's smarter than the field and he found gold with Trey.

Trey is 23 years old.  He's younger than Bo Nix and Michael Penix.

• Like 1

All we've heard from Dak lately was that he was skipping the probowl to prepare for the birth of his child (who wasn't born until 2 months after the probowl), a sexual assault scandal, and that they've restructured his contract to free up $5mil in cap space.  Also, remember Dak wanted this 4 year deal so he could sign a bigger 3rd contract.  The cowboys were pushing 5 years.  They'll let him walk, because Jerry thinks he's smarter than the field and he found gold with Trey.

I know nothing about the draft and all these mock drafts. How likely would Penix be available at our spot? If he's there, any interest? No idea how he would compare to Lance but you'd get control of him for 5 years and would be cheaper.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
11 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I know nothing about the draft and all these mock drafts. How likely would Penix be available at our spot? If he's there, any interest? No idea how he would compare to Lance but you'd get control of him for 5 years and would be cheaper.

You draft Penix and you're basically stating that Dak is done.  They are trying to save face and act like Dak has a chance to earn it if he wins the Super Bowl or gets close.  But really he's just a lame duck and should be demanding a trade. 

You draft Penix and you're basically stating that Dak is done.  They are trying to save face and act like Dak has a chance to earn it if he wins the Super Bowl or gets close.  But really he's just a lame duck and should be demanding a trade. 
Them not extending Dak or Fat Mike this off-season tells me they are done with both barring some miracle season. I think they were ready to extend both this off-season until the Green Bay disaster.

This. Dak should not take another snap for this team.

He has a no trade clause so they should be working on a trade. It does NEITHER side any good to go through it this year.

Dak is risking injury without a contract.

And Dallas is literally letting a franchise QB walk and getting NOTHING back.

Just piss poor team management if they’re really ready to move on.

Get what you can from him.

3 hours ago, Drew said:

He has a no trade clause so they should be working on a trade. It does NEITHER side any good to go through it this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've already shopped the idea and had no bites. Look how the Russell Wilson trade turned out for Denver and the Deshaun Watson trade for Cleveland.  Minnesota got nothing for Kirk and LV got nothing for Carr. 

Now look at the $$ Baker and Cousins just got in free agency.  Thats basically the floor.  Is a team willing to give up picks AND a huge contract for Dak?  Or just wait til next year. 

The Cowboys value Dak more than the rest of the league, that was clear during the last negotiations.  If they aren't willing to commit then who else is?

• Hook 'Em 1

Came here to see if the Zeke BS was posted.

Then I was mildly surprised there's not a "2024 Offseason thread" -- only to realize that it's perfect, including this Zeke story.

Just one continuous clusterfuck of season, offseason, drafts, hirings, rehashing the same shit and Jerry mismanaging the fuck out of this franchise yet continuously printing money off multiple generations going to games and buying merchandise.

Move to rename the thread and just leave it forever as:

20xx Dallas Ouroboros': Deja Vu All Over Again

Then I was mildly surprised there's not a "2024 Offseason thread" -- only to realize that it's perfect, including this Zeke story.
Just one continuous clusterfuck of season, offseason, drafts, hirings, rehashing the same shit and Jerry mismanaging the fuck out of this franchise yet continuously printing money off multiple generations going to games and buying merchandise.

Zeke is done. 2420 touches and soon to be a worn out 29 years old. The nfl brick wall for RBs is 1500 touches and 27 years old.

I check in once a year to say c ya next year. Lol. Never changes.

The ghosts of my Cowboys shake their damn heads...
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/4/2024 at 9:13 AM, 'stache said:

Dumb idea but I’d switch allegiances in a heartbeat if the Chiefs moved to the Cotton Bowl.

No NFL team is moving to the Cotton Bowl. They couldn't even keep the Cotton Bowl at the Cotton Bowl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/26/2024 at 5:38 PM, mdmost said:

They can go get Jimmy G or Kurt Cousins to backup Dak like they did with Red Rocket.