Texas vs OU 11 am or 2:30 pm?

Creasy Bear

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Some of you thinking it has always been hot clearly were not there in 2000.

Fucking Quentin Griffin just scored again....

Fucking first of the four Black Saturdays in the Cotton Bowl under that clown Brown.

The upside was that you could go sit at midfield without issue by the end of the 1Q. That is, if you were okay freezing your ass off while witnessing an extended rape without the ability to dial 911. Alcohol was an essential part of that day's experience, an especially essential part. 

Edited by Wally Pryor

I'm just glad you can buy alcohol in the stadium. That bullshit mad dash out the gates at halftime and having to grab a ticket from one of the idiot gatekeepers for reentry was infuriating. I mean, I always sneak in a couple 375ml plastic flasks anyways, but I'm usually out by halftime either due to us looking really good or really bad.

3 hours ago, 6th Street said:

That 2000 game was a massive kick in the nuts. Watching Quentin Griffin run that sprint draw play over and over again while Bull Reese sat there holding his dick. Then 2001-2004 were just a very dark time when Stoops had Mack's number, and Mack was scared shitless.

2000 was when he scored like 5 or 6 TD's.   But it 2002 that he ran for like 250+ on us on that damn sprint draw we couldn't stop.  We had a lead starting the 4th quarter and he just dominated us from there out running the same play over and over.   That guy owned us.  Those were dark days indeed.

Edit:  I looked it up. He had 248 on us in 2002 including 102 4th quarter rushing yards.  Then 6 TD's in 2000 on only 87 yards rushing.  Ughh

Edited by Skipper

32 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Fucking first of the four Black Saturdays in the Cotton Bowl under that clown Brown.

The upside was that you could go sit at midfield without issue by the end of the 1Q. That is, if you were okay freezing your ass off while witnessing an extended rape without the ability to dial 911. Alcohol was an essential part of that day's experience, an especially essential part. 

I was there, basically used alcohol as antifreeze.  On the way out I told some OU lady not to wreck her house on the way home and she went apeshit on me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I'm just glad you can buy alcohol in the stadium. That bullshit mad dash out the gates at halftime and having to grab a ticket from one of the idiot gatekeepers for reentry was infuriating. I mean, I always sneak in a couple 375ml plastic flasks anyways, but I'm usually out by halftime either due to us looking really good or really bad.

I absolutely hate it that they don't have fountain drinks anymore. Mixing a shitty bourbon and RC at 11:00 am is as much a part of the game as the teams coming out of the tunnel for me. 

• Hook 'Em 5

23 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

23 hours ago, orange dream said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  That day was miserable in every way.

23 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I took about three steps from my car after parking it and it started to sprinkle. I went back to get a sweatshirt. I should’ve just gotten the fuck back in and gone home. 

I drove up that morning, left in the 3rd quarter, and drove straight back to Austin.  Awful.

I had been to every Texas - ou game since 1978. Then... the year 2000 hit.

My daughter was in the Indian Princesses at it just so happened that our weekend camp out was the weekend of the game. So, I had a choice ... go on a life enrichening experience with my daughter or go to the game and keep my streak alive! Let's just say... the corny dog were watered down and the beer sucked at the game!

uh... yeah... no.

The campout is at Turner Falls in Southern Oklahoma. So, here we are driving north on I35. Of course, my daughter wants to be in a car with 3 of her friends, soooo... I'm driving by myself. That sucks.

And as we drive north, this army of cars driving south all with Ou flags flying on the cars is coming toward Dallas. I don't know why, but I start to think, "uh oh." Well, we crossed over the Oklahoma border and all of a sudden, the cars driving south come to a stop. The road is empty. I soon learn why.

About a mile later, there is this horrific car accident. One car is literally cut in two. And a corpse is lying on the other side of the road with a tarp over it! Holy Cow.

Well, we get to Turner Falls, the dads are all talking about, "Holy shit... that was unreal!" Very sobering. The girls are running around, laughing.

As we all know, gameday, the skies open up.. it's cold as my first wife's left nipple. One dad had a portable radio (remember, this was before cell phones were what they are today)... and I caught the half time score. uggggggg.

For the first time in my life, I am glad that I am not at the game. The whiskey and cigars at the campout were still good. But, man, that was a painful weekend.

I had been to every Texas - ou game since 1978. Then... the year 2000 hit.
My daughter was in the Indian Princesses at it just so happened that our weekend camp out was the weekend of the game. So, I had a choice ... go on a life enrichening experience with my daughter or go to the game and keep my streak alive! Let's just say... the corny dog were watered down and the beer sucked at the game!
uh... yeah... no.
The campout is at Turner Falls in Southern Oklahoma. So, here we are driving north on I35. Of course, my daughter wants to be in a car with 3 of her friends, soooo... I'm driving by myself. That sucks.
And as we drive north, this army of cars driving south all with Ou flags flying on the cars is coming toward Dallas. I don't know why, but I start to think, "uh oh." Well, we crossed over the Oklahoma border and all of a sudden, the cars driving south come to a stop. The road is empty. I soon learn why.
About a mile later, there is this horrific car accident. One car is literally cut in two. And a corpse is lying on the other side of the road with a tarp over it! Holy Cow.
Well, we get to Turner Falls, the dads are all talking about, "Holy shit... that was unreal!" Very sobering. The girls are running around, laughing.
As we all know, gameday, the skies open up.. it's cold as my first wife's left nipple. One dad had a portable radio (remember, this was before cell phones were what they are today)... and I caught the half time score. uggggggg.
For the first time in my life, I am glad that I am not at the game. The whiskey and cigars at the campout were still good. But, man, that was a painful weekend.

giphy.gif
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looking at tickets now and it's been several years since I've been.  Questions -- are there any areas / sections to avoid on the TX side?  Are you obstructed if you're low in the end zone?  I know those typically aren't the best for seeing the plays develop but I'll have a 10 and 11 year old with me who will prefer being close to the action even if it's not the best view for seeing plays develop etc.  Better to be higher up in lower section or lower in upper section or does it matter?  Any specific sections better than others?

If you're in the lower level in the older portion of the stadium (non-endzone), you want to stay under row 49 as the pillars that hold up the upper level start around there and you could get blocked from viewing the whole field. We sat in the upper 50s once and it felt like we weren't even at the game. I would avoid the rows at the very front as you're going to possibly get blocked or views that aren't as good. Upper level doesn't matter where you sit.

You can have fun with this to see what your view might be. Seatgeek also is more interactive with views.

https://www.seats3d.com/misc/cottonbowl_stadium/red_river/#/

Looking at tickets now and it's been several years since I've been.  Questions -- are there any areas / sections to avoid on the TX side?  Are you obstructed if you're low in the end zone?  I know those typically aren't the best for seeing the plays develop but I'll have a 10 and 11 year old with me who will prefer being close to the action even if it's not the best view for seeing plays develop etc.  Better to be higher up in lower section or lower in upper section or does it matter?  Any specific sections better than others?
We're in either Sect 9 or 10 this year, row 5ish. At least one of my kids will be with me and they're around that age but I'm not sweating being in a low row. Some views will be blocked but it also can be fun if you've never sat that close during a tx/ou game

@Gale Snoats

Since you mentioned low in the endzone you should be aware that there are about 8 or 10 rows in section 15 (circled on pic below) that are OU fans which makes up for what they lose from the tunnel cutout in section 33.  I was seated a row behind them about 15 years ago and had never noticed they were there before.  It was fine, we won that year and they took it in stride but if you are looking at low endzone seats you should at least be aware of it. 

image.png.ef75b197de19b09c406c53b0e1ba34d1.png

you can make out the little swath of red circled in the photo below.

image.png.6b38426e130039ec8ba0e3c3bbd00dd8.png

Edited by orange dream

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

@Gale Snoats

Since you mentioned low in the endzone you should be aware that there are about 8 or 10 rows in section 15 (circled on pic below) that are OU fans which makes up for what they lose from the tunnel cutout in section 33.  I was seated a row behind them about 15 years ago and had never noticed they were there before.  It was fine, we won that year and they took it in stride but if you are looking at low endzone seats you should at least be aware of it. 

image.png.ef75b197de19b09c406c53b0e1ba34d1.png

you can make out the little swath of red circled in the photo below.

image.png.6b38426e130039ec8ba0e3c3bbd00dd8.png

I'm pretty sure the last few years they haven't had OU fans in that section opposite the tunnel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

I'm pretty sure the last few years they haven't had OU fans in that section opposite the tunnel.

We get some tickets there and the back of 117. Replacements for seats lost to the tunnel and video board. Keeps everything legitimately 50/50. 

3 hours ago, Constant said:

We get some tickets there and the back of 117. Replacements for seats lost to the tunnel and video board. Keeps everything legitimately 50/50. 

I know why they were doing it. I’ve been to the game every year since 2002 but could have sworn I noticed recently they stopped putting that OU section there. It’s possible I was just drunker than before.

Edited by LonghornSean

1 minute ago, LonghornSean said:

I know why they were doing it. I’ve been to the game every year since 2002 but could have sworn I noticed recently they stopped putting that OU section there. It’s possible I was just drunker than before.

Mix in a bottle of water occasionally. 

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

Yeah, past three or four years haven’t noticed them, but then again haven’t been looking.  I’m in 16 this year, will have to look. 

On 9/29/2023 at 9:37 AM, Surly Bevo said:

It was fuckin' wet and miserable in 1984...

UT was No. 1; OU was No. 3.

Oklahoma coach Switzer wore a "Beat Texas" cap and eventual longtime Texas coach Mack Brown was the Sooners' offensive coordinator. OU led 15-12 late and appeared to possibly make the game-clinching interception in the end zone, but it was ruled incomplete. The Longhorns then kicked a field goal to secure the 15-15 tie. 

Was at both 1984 and 2000 games.  The 2000 game was worse because of the cold few were prepared for and the drizzle. I remember it being in the upper 30s and windy.  And we got our ass kicked. Stayed for the entire miserable game.  '84 was bad because of the constant downpour. But it wasn't freezing ass cold. But a tie sucked for both teams. Quietest it's ever been walking out of the stadium.