Surly kids who can't get into UT

texasdago

On 9/26/2023 at 10:23 AM, texasdago said:

For those of us who were dumb and got into UT but have kids who are not 6%ers and may have to send our kids to piggy or anywhere but aggy... 

My daughter was GT from the 5th grade. I have no idea how I got in, I didn't know it was a thing when I applied. My grades were average at best.

The only reason I had Advanced classes was because I was bored in regular classes and became a distraction. I assumed my daughter was in without issue, if that's what she wanted. My sister got a BA and PHD from UT, dad - masters, with a phd, and daughter graduated with a 4.3 GPA with a year and a half of "college credit." - Also, 120 other graduates in her (affluent) HS graduated with 4.0 or better. 

She had to CAP. We were looking at 4 decimals trying to know. Had offers for out of state "for 3 times tuition at name brands" at good schools, free or subsidized at Ark, Ala, Baylor, but she wanted UT. Luckily, the last CAP segment through UTSA.

Admittance is either "Connected a big way - not 2k a year connected," "crazy brilliant," or "Grinder." - no homo. 

It sucks that smart, connect-the-dot people go through this and find the rug pulled out from under them. Admittance, value of a degree, you name it. It's not clear for lots of folks. It is what these kids and families think. Most of the wealthiest people I know are not "professionals." They are people who think. Hard. Differently. But they effort. Harder.  

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I am happy to hear how GA Tech is better than MIT, Stanford, Caltech, Mudd, RPI, UT, Cal, and probably a few more I overlooked.  What’s your reason?

Reputation?  Rankings vary, but plenty of academics and professional recruiters see GT as pretty much top of the heap, depending on department.

USN&WR, which (like most rankings) should be taken with a grain of salt, has GT as the top public undergrad engineering program and #3 public grad engineering program (3rd and 5th, respectively, when private schools are included).

It ain't garbage, that's for sure.

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Reputation?  Rankings vary, but plenty of academics and professional recruiters see GT as pretty much top of the heap, depending on department.

USN&WR, which (like most rankings) should be taken with a grain of salt, has GT as the top public undergrad engineering program and #3 public grad engineering program (3rd and 5th, respectively, when private schools are included).

Because engineering and grad engineering is a measure of education for non engineering students?  

2 minutes ago, Welshy said:

Because engineering and grad engineering is a measure of education for non engineering students?  

Did I say anything of the sort?  I was referring to a kid in the UWisc PhD track out of GT.  My point was, regardless of the stature of GT engineering, a 3.2 undergrad GPA doesn't scream "top candidate" to me, but he's on board at Wisconsin.  That might say something about UW, or not, I don't know.

39 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

A little goalpost movement there.  No one asserted GA tech is garbage, and I’ve known several bright engineers who went there.  I think it’s easily in the top 10 Engineering schools.  I have a hard time seeing it number one.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did I say anything of the sort?  I was referring to a kid in the UWisc PhD track out of GT.  My point was, regardless of the stature of GT engineering, a 3.2 undergrad GPA doesn't scream "top candidate" to me, but he's on board at Wisconsin.  That might say something about UW, or not, I don't know.

Ok. I'm a BS guy. Super dumb and not very engineering. Certainly not GT, top of the heap. All I can go is ask questions.

Like: Why does light travel faster than a rock I throw? Honestly, it makes no sense. I was a pitcher in LL. I can through hard.

Hoping a GT grad will answer. 

Edited by Welshy
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

A little goalpost movement there.  No one asserted GA tech is garbage, and I’ve known several bright engineers who went there.  I think it’s easily in the top 10 Engineering schools.  I have a hard time seeing it number one.  

I'm not moving shit.  In my experience, GT has pumped out the highest quality engineers I've interviewed or hired.  I just referenced a ranking that puts them near #1 to at least provide alternate color to your list of 7+ programs you think are better.

It REALLY doesn't fucking matter.  My comment was about UWisc, which had been referenced prior.  (For the record, I think Wisconsin is a fantastic school, too.)

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not moving shit.  In my experience, GT has pumped out the highest quality engineers I've interviewed or hired.  I just referenced a ranking that puts them near #1 to at least provide alternate color to your list of 7+ programs you think are better.

It REALLY doesn't fucking matter.  My comment was about UWisc, which had been referenced prior.  (For the record, I think Wisconsin is a fantastic school, too.)

GT is an amazing school I wouldn't qualify for, UT is too. Doesn't matter.

However, there are schools who are very, very good at certain, specific disciplines. Aggy engineers building bonfires... It's pretty specific. It's not the value of an education.

There is no one fits all.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...

Oldest has done extremely well on acceptance rates to the colleges she applied to including several solid academic scholarships and honors college acceptances at most of them. However, she got her acceptance letter to UGA today so looks like we’ll be paying out of state for her to go to her top pick. She thought she had no shot, her advisors told her she had no shot, but she’s in.

5 minutes ago, Brew said:

Oldest has done extremely well on acceptance rates to the colleges she applied to including several solid academic scholarships and honors college acceptances at most of them. However, she got her acceptance letter to UGA today so looks like we’ll be paying out of state for her to go to her top pick. She thought she had no shot, her advisors told her she had no shot, but she’s in.

Just got mid term finals grades in and the first semester report card from my son and welp, I don't think UT is in his future.

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

Just got mid term finals grades in and the first semester report card from my son and welp, I don't think UT is in his future.

Don't know your situation, but don't give up hope.  My son is at UT via CAP and he was nowhere NEAR top 6%.  (My daughter, too, but she just barely missed the auto-admit cutoff.  Her CAP admission made sense.  Her brother's?  Uh, no.)

• Like 1

My son got capped too, and he wasn’t even in the top 50%. Kind of surprised he was even offered that.  Anywho, through 18 hours at UT Tyler, he has a 4.00.  So, unless he shits the bed during the Spring, he’ll be in Austin next Fall. Looking for apartments in west campus has me reaching for the jar of lube. 

Edited by cabowabo
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Prepare your anus 1

14 hours ago, Brew said:

My oldest is hell-bent on going out of state, not applying to a single school in Texas, even though she’s top 6%. I wanted her to consider Georgia, but she also doesn’t want to go anywhere in the South. 

Congrats to your kid. Athens seems like it would be a great place to be in college.

41 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My oldest is hell-bent on going out of state, not applying to a single school in Texas, even though she’s top 6%. I wanted her to consider Georgia, but she also doesn’t want to go anywhere in the South. 

Congrats to your kid. Athens seems like it would be a great place to be in college.

UW is great man. Go catch a Mariners game and go hiking when you visit her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

She was determined to leave the south for college up until it actually came time to apply and then I think the travel issues and being far away from all of her friends caught up with her. She’s still waiting to see about NYU and Illinois but it would take getting money to pull her away from UGA I think.

Applying outside of the top majors has helped her I would imagine. She wants to major in English which they probably don’t see a ton of.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, cabowabo said:

My son got capped too, and he wasn’t even in the top 50%. Kind of surprised he was even offered that.  Anywho, through 18 hours at UT Tyler, he has a 4.00.  So, unless he shits the bed during the Spring, he’ll be in Austin next Fall. Looking for apartments in west campus has me reaching for the jar of lube. 

Yep, that was my son's route, one year earlier.  Word of warning:  Austin is considerably more difficult than Tyler.  As in, almost a whole grade point harder.

FAFSA delay has put a pause on accepting… yea, my twins got accepted to all the schools they applied to (still waiting on SMU for one) but now it’s a waiting game to see who offers how much… sorry kid- you got accepted to school x that was your top choice but school #2 is offering you a full ride…

4 minutes ago, Grimas said:

FAFSA delay has put a pause on accepting… yea, my twins got accepted to all the schools they applied to (still waiting on SMU for one) but now it’s a waiting game to see who offers how much… sorry kid- you got accepted to school x that was your top choice but school #2 is offering you a full ride…

Sorta where my kid may be headed. UDub is her top choice, but I don’t think they’ll give her anything. Oregon and Lewis & Clark are already throwing her a lot of money, and she’s starting to understand that may direct her ultimate decision.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

My understanding of the academic literature on college matching and post-college judgment is that basically 95% of young adults think wherever they went to school was awesome times and somehow miraculously "it was the perfect place for them." 

My oldest has a good handful of lifetime friends from one year of prep school in Marion, AL of all places.  A bunch of us parents are still buddies too/ have gone to their kids' weddings, etc, etc.

One fucking year did that to us.  LOL.  It's just that time in life for young folks.

On 12/15/2023 at 4:50 PM, Brew said:

Congrats Brew. I’m sure that is a tremendous feeling. 

On 10/12/2023 at 9:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I suppose grad schools have gotten ultra competitive, too, but 3.2 is a pretty solid engineering GPA at a rigorous school like GT.  Or is it?

Back in the day, that'd get you hired most places out of UT.

And, I could easily see it being one of those situations where he did well on upper-division, research-related courses.  For whatever reason, I didn't start busting 4.0s until upper division, employers seemed to like that and didn't give a rats ass about my C in engineering mechanics or fluids.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suppose grad schools have gotten ultra competitive, too, but 3.2 is a pretty solid engineering GPA at a rigorous school like GT.  Or is it?

And, I could easily see it being one of those situations where he did well on upper-division, research-related courses.  For whatever reason, I didn't start busting 4.0s until upper division, employers seemed to like that and didn't give a rats ass about my C in engineering mechanics or fluids.

I recently suggested to two very large refineries - go hire C engineering students to staff jobs. Those are the kids that can use a tool, had to work during school, have some common sense, can work in a group setting 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Could be.  My grades went from very good to pretty much 4.0 my junior year and beyond -- I grew up and learned how to study.  

What I guess I didn't convey was that he transferred IN to GT his junior year, so those were his upper division scores.

Doesn't matter, he's in, he's curious, and plenty smart.  He'll do fine.

• Hook 'Em 2

Son did CS Masters at GT with a 3.5 GPA.

i told him about the conversation on here and he emphasized, "Post grad GPA doesn't mean shit in tech field."

I laughed because dude went from the Army to Bloomberg.  It matter somewhat...

47 minutes ago, slorch said:

Son did CS Masters at GT with a 3.5 GPA.

i told him about the conversation on here and he emphasized, "Post grad GPA doesn't mean shit in tech field."

I laughed because dude went from the Army to Bloomberg.  It matter somewhat...

i knew a brilliant kid growing up. He received a bachelor's degree and high school diploma in the same graduation ceremony at 17 years old. He then got a full ride to MIT.  He wasn't just a nerd. He played rugby and partied pretty hard for MIT.  I asked him how he was doing at MIT and he said he had a 3.2 and was applying to med school.  My response was "is a 3.2 good enough for med school?" He said "a 3.2 from MIT is."  Sure enough, he got in to his first choice med school and he's now the Orthopaedic Surgery Division Chief at a top medical school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/15/2023 at 9:46 PM, cabowabo said:

I'll cut you a deal with a guest bedroom... buy one month of rent, get the second one half off.

My oldest daughter (no pics) was CAPed and went to UTSA for her first year.  All three of her roommates were in the same boat and all four moved to UT the next year.  My youngest daughter (also no pics) was CAPed, but wanted to study biology to ultimately do physical therapy.  Since the CAP only guarantees the school of liberal arts at UT, it made sense for her to go elsewhere.  She's rocking it at Texas State, which has a great PT school.  The CAP is great if your student is fine with a liberal arts major or if you student is dead set on a degree from UT.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Things got more difficult for her today. Knoxville which wasn’t in discussion for a long time but moved up after visits came back with sizeable money and honors college admittance. She can go there for 1/3 of what UGA will cost and be in the honors college which was important for her from the outset. She is still looking at an upper tier law school post grad, so which is better for that purpose a UGA degree or a UTK honors degree? She’s eliminated the other schools at this point and is down to those two. UGA has been her planned school for a long time and it’s not Knoxville which is a plus in my book. I would prefer that she went with one of the private schools she got into, but she is dead set on the big school experience at this point.

23 minutes ago, Brew said:

Things got more difficult for her today. Knoxville which wasn’t in discussion for a long time but moved up after visits came back with sizeable money and honors college admittance. She can go there for 1/3 of what UGA will cost and be in the honors college which was important for her from the outset. She is still looking at an upper tier law school post grad, so which is better for that purpose a UGA degree or a UTK honors degree? She’s eliminated the other schools at this point and is down to those two. UGA has been her planned school for a long time and it’s not Knoxville which is a plus in my book. I would prefer that she went with one of the private schools she got into, but she is dead set on the big school experience at this point.

GPA and LSAT score are going to rule the roost for law school admissions.  A more rigorous degree will count for something, but that assumes that the law school is familiar with the undergraduate institution and its degree plans.  Vanderbilt probably might discriminate between the two, maybe Duke, also, Emory for certain, nearly.  Not sure about more remote and possibly prestigious law schools.

An honors college probably keeps stats on admissions to graduate/law schools. might as well ask.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Question. Does it hurt your chances getting into mccombs if you put them as second choice for major behind cockrell?

My boy is 6 in a class of 1200 . ACT in Feb so will see but probably 31-33.
He THINKS he wants engineering but also would consider business. Really wants to go the Texas. Longhorn fan his whole life.

Know he could get into CU, auburn , types for engineering but he’d consider business at Texas if rejected at cockrell. Thoughts?

On 12/18/2023 at 2:55 PM, Jerry Callo said:

My oldest daughter (no pics) was CAPed and went to UTSA for her first year.  All three of her roommates were in the same boat and all four moved to UT the next year.  My youngest daughter (also no pics) was CAPed, but wanted to study biology to ultimately do physical therapy.  Since the CAP only guarantees the school of liberal arts at UT, it made sense for her to go elsewhere.  She's rocking it at Texas State, which has a great PT school.  The CAP is great if your student is fine with a liberal arts major or if you student is dead set on a degree from UT.  

Hey you can become president with a degree from Texas State...and a few rigged elections and an assassinated president.

But the path is there and Step 1 is almost accomplished!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Brew said:

No one ever gave a shit about UGA academically until they started winning football games.  Just like how Clemson went from nothing to a “very good” school about seven years ago. It’s back to being a school no one gives a shit about.

That said, it’s not like UT-K is an academic power, but I would bet an honors program degree from one football school counts more than a regular degree from another football school. So, honors program admittance with plenty of scholarship money vs jack shit seems like a no brainer.

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Always ask the dept for employment and grad school data

always 

Schools will fudge that too when they can.  Back in the 90’s UNC boasted that the average yearly earnings for graduates in their Geology department was $200,000.  Michael Jordan’s $50 million endorsement deal with Nike kind of skewed that number.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

So, honors program admittance with plenty of scholarship money vs jack shit seems like a no brainer.

Probably where my daughter will wind up.  Got into Oregon's honors program with a good chunk of money and possibly more to come v. University of Washington, which will likely tell her, "Congratulations, you're in, and we'll gladly take your full freight of nonresident tuition."  There's still the private school route, but like Brew's kid, she seems set on attending a large state school.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Where?  I'm pretty sure my daughter found several of the out of state schools she was looking at said college enrollment didn't establish state residency.

I think this is correct for the UC schools.  Hell I live here and they’re very finicky on the residency for anyone who has been here less than three years or who didn’t attend high school all their years here.  Pretty sure being a student does not make you a resident unless you’re not a dependent.

4 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

I think this is correct for the UC schools.  Hell I live here and they’re very finicky on the residency for anyone who has been here less than three years or who didn’t attend high school all their years here.  Pretty sure being a student does not make you a resident unless you’re not a dependent.

Yeah, I think this was part of the equation at the schools she was looking at (some big state schools in the Big 10, Pac 12, etc.).

From my experience, Texas is the most liberal in gaining residency for tuition purposes.

California residents attending Texas can start an LLC offering training, tutoring, etc. services and gain residency.  I've seen examples of a kid "buying" a condo under his LLC and renting it to someone else.

Gaining California residency, as @jimmyjazz notes, can be nigh impossible.

Youngest is at Purdue.  There are no clear loopholes to gain Indiana residency.  Even if we moved there today, we'd have to appeal to Purdue (NOT Indiana) to get residency for tuition purposes.  There are very few, if any, examples of success.

On 12/20/2023 at 7:41 AM, txduck87 said:

He THINKS he wants engineering but also would consider business. Really wants to go the Texas. Longhorn fan his whole life.
Know he could get into CU, auburn , types for engineering but he’d consider business at Texas if rejected at cockrell. Thoughts?

What sort of engineering degree?