My son wants to be a boss, what degree should he look into?

Matagorda

15 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Get him drop-shipping crap on Amazon, or cheap rentals somewhere. Or both.

Guy I know makes a very decent amount of money selling accessories for whatever new phones just came out. He has everything lined up in China or wherever, he has the goods rebranded to his brand names (and he has multiple brands he sells the same stuff under on Amazon), and when they start becoming available, he is selling them as fast as it takes people to login to Amazon and type "iPhone 15 case" or whatever.  I looked at one of his items and mentioned that it only had a thousand reviews, and he mentioned that over 10,000 people bought one, and he made $50,000 off of that one item.

Of course, I don't think he's ever met many of the people who work for him.  Which he prefers.  He has a lot of stuff automated, he spent a lot of time in China lining up contacts at factories, he keeps his product assortment fairly low, and he's never stuck with a lot of inventory.  And he plows a lot of the money into properties.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

I thought drop shipping only made money for people who offered online classes to teach drop shipping.

seriously I was under the impression that the current state was that drop shipping requires a lot of knowledge, work and/or luck. There are plenty of people who will help set up and run your drop shipping for a fee. You take all the risk and split the profits with them.

• Haha 1

consulting, finance, or engineer (programming). start there for 2-4 years post college then start your own company.

or skip college and build a trade business. depends on risk profile.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I thought drop shipping only made money for people who offered online classes to teach drop shipping.

seriously I was under the impression that the current state was that drop shipping requires a lot of knowledge, work and/or luck. There are plenty of people who will help set up and run your drop shipping for a fee. You take all the risk and split the profits with them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 5:09 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If if you place tiny little ads in the classifieds for drop shipping training courses Don Lapre would smile on you from heaven. 

drop shipping like what atom described is a rough business. China isn’t easy to master. And using amazon is great until it’s not. You don’t control the platform so you are at its whims. Pretty much anyone selling shit has to figure out Amazon with some exceptions so I’m not saying avoid it, but building a legit company is pretty hard working China and Amazon as your vendor and sales channels.

This dumbass I work with just spent 3 days telling me about the $80k he lost to an Amazon and Walmart drop-shipping scam and his legal woes trying to sue the Canadian drop-ship management company with Caribbean bank accounts that took his money and then closed up shop.  

Edited by Your Mom

Whatever the degree, learn and master hard work, master your topic.  Then, master the subject of people.  If you are a good match, the boss things come.

At my prior company, we emphasized the needs, and reward, for expert practitioners.   Errbody wanted to go into supervising.  The market forces pushed up the levels for the ind. practitioner, to a quite decent major boss level.  The supervisors and mid managers hated this, as being against the natural order.   Just supply and demand.

Nothing inherently good, or bad, about boss jobs.

On 10/31/2023 at 9:54 AM, Incredulity said:

Capital chases returns.

If you start making a boat load of money selling Chinese rubber dogshit on your Amazon storefront there are going to be a ton of people(including Amazon) trying to replicate that success.

not to mention Maverick will be beating on your door to make runs to Hong King!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Being a boss sucks. I don't know what they're teaching these days but even the really smart kids are coming into our company doing dumb shit and needing way more hand holding than even 15 years ago. 

I'm just waiting for my girls to finish school and be on their own then we can downsize like a mofo and live a bohemian type life. 

Or maybe I'll start a business hiring hot ass 20 year olds to do yoga in bikinis and video it for YouTube dollars. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve never met my boss. I hear he’s a great guy and would help me out if ever needed. I’m happy to have never received so much as a personal email or phone call from him.  If we passed each other he wouldn’t recognize me. If someone told him my name, he would not have any clue who I was.  As long as I don’t fuck up he will never know who I am.   And my job is so much better than his. Fuck being a boss. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/28/2023 at 4:03 PM, Your Mom said:

I’ve never met my boss. I hear he’s a great guy and would help me out if ever needed. I’m happy to have never received so much as a personal email or phone call from him.  If we passed each other he wouldn’t recognize me. If someone told him my name, he would not have any clue who I was.  As long as I don’t fuck up he will never know who I am.   And my job is so much better than his. Fuck being a boss. 

Username checks out.

On 12/28/2023 at 6:03 PM, Your Mom said:

In my first job, the director above my direct manager didn't know I existed.  I was at a meeting with him once and he asked what I did for the company.  His peer director said, "Steve, he works for you."  An hour later, he walked in and gave me a mid-year pay raise.  Unfortunately, that was the only time in 25 years, that has happened.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1