Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

And this is why we are 11-18 against ou since 1995, 8-16 since 2000.

oklahoma cares about this game more than Texas. If we win, great! If we don’t, oh well we’re still The University of Texas.

Then we get mad we aren’t winning enough in December/January

agree x100000000000000

some people believe off-field superiority ("hey, we're Texas--the better academic school with fans above OU white trash") translates to on-field wins.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

My biggest issue with our last drive was IF sark was playing for the FG, which I was ok with, then why the fuck didn’t we milk the clock more? I was at the game surrounded by a shit ton of fans yelling “what the fuck are you doing?”. Super confusing to go tempo and play for a FG. At worst I felt like you play for the FG and kick it with 20 seconds left and if you miss it then we go OT. I don’t understand why the sark defenders can’t just say the clock was mismanaged? Because it was. 

He wasn’t playing for the FG until the sack. He said exactly that in the post game presser. They were playing for a touch down. That sack was critical. He had to get 5 yards. I guess the silver lining is he knew brooks would get 5. That’s pretty incredible. The defense needed to stop. They didn’t. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

@TXSooner518 @Constant fuck you guys for willing that game to happen. I know it’s your fault. 

Just happy to see some validation that the steps OU has taken post Lincoln are working. Texas was a good football team. Certainly the best version of Texas I’ve seen in a long time. I thought OU was at a great disadvantage in the trenches but they ended up dominating for large portions of the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, this loss is bugging me in a way I haven't let Texas Football bug me in a long time.  Between acceptance of the suckage and the newfound ability to rationalize losses without concluding the program is fucked, I haven't let things bother me much the last few years.
That said, this being Texas-OU, I had this niggling fear that something like this would happen and the first quarter delivered on that fear, big time, bro.  These games where we are both ranked, both undefeated, and --relatively-- evenly matched are rare and the "rivalry game weird shit" factor seems ever-present.
I am pretty sure, but can't prove, that if we had managed to score on that opening drive, the game would have turned out differently and the heroics on the fake kick and blocked punt would have gone toward building a lead in other situations instead of merely securing a tie and our defensive struggles may have made it a closer game than anyone wanted, but without incurring the loss.
I still think the psychology of this team is a bit delicate.  But it is encouraging that we didn't completely roll over.

Well said. I shouldn’t be sitting here irritated by a football game the next morning but here I am. I think what is frustrating is OU is more or less who I thought they were. They are a good but flawed team and Texas no doubt has the better top to bottom roster. I tried to let logic rule and picked Texas leading up to the game despite having a gut feeling they would show up get outplayed.

Not even scoring, but simply not throwing a horrible INT on play 2 and just being able to get a couple first downs and punt on the first drive is one of many things that could have changed the game. And I agree with you on calls like the fake punt - that was one of a few where our reaction was basically “Great call, don’t think they wanted to have to play that card this early.”

I did not expect to be thoroughly out coached though, maybe that’s on me; that’s just a reminder that whatever you think the team’s ceiling is, you’ve got to pay the Sark tax and take a couple L’s in winnable games. Unfortunately that came due in the one game that can still cause a prolonged negative feeling. If this had happened against Bama I’d have shrugged.
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Constant said:

Just happy to see some validation that the steps OU has taken post Lincoln are working. Texas was a good football team. Certainly the best version of Texas I’ve seen in a long time. I thought OU was at a great disadvantage in the trenches but they ended up dominating for large portions of the game. 

Texas still is a good football team. OU is better than I (we) thought. I was pretty impressed by the OU lines - they won the game. When the teams play again in December, I expect we’ll see something similar where the team that makes the most mistakes loses.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

Texas still is a good football team. OU is better than I (we) thought. I was pretty impressed by the OU lines - they won the game. When the teams play again in December, I expect we’ll see something similar where the team that makes the most mistakes loses.

Most likely. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Well said. I shouldn’t be sitting here irritated by a football game the next morning but here I am. I think what is frustrating is OU is more or less who I thought they were. They are a good but flawed team and Texas no doubt has the better top to bottom roster. I tried to let logic rule and picked Texas leading up to the game despite having a gut feeling they would show up get outplayed.

Not even scoring, but simply not throwing a horrible INT on play 2 and just being able to get a couple first downs and punt on the first drive is one of many things that could have changed the game. And I agree with you on calls like the fake punt - that was one of a few where our reaction was basically “Great call, don’t think they wanted to have to play that card this early.”

I did not expect to be thoroughly out coached though, maybe that’s on me; that’s just a reminder that whatever you think the team’s ceiling is, you’ve got to pay the Sark tax and take a couple L’s in winnable games. Unfortunately that came due in the one game that can still cause a prolonged negative feeling. If this had happened against Bama I’d have shrugged.

I don't really believe in the Sark tax, though.

The OL is periodically vulnerable, still, and was to some extent yesterday.  They are who they are and that's not a coaching issue anymore.  Ewers brain cramps and that's not a coaching issue.

Defense, though, seems to be another matter.  We got gameplanned there and our tendencies abused.  Is that Sark's fault?  Ultimately yes, proximately no.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

OU came out like a loose bottle of shampoo in your luggage - they were fuckin EVERYWHERE. They came out with so much more intensity it stalled our first quarter and gave em the edge they needed.

Sark can't let that happen again. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, troph said:

He wasn’t playing for the FG until the sack. He said exactly that in the post game presser. They were playing for a touch down. That sack was critical. He had to get 5 yards. I guess the silver lining is he knew brooks would get 5. That’s pretty incredible. The defense needed to stop. They didn’t. 

If anything I hope this is a lesson learned and if we find ourselves in the situation again at the end of the game like yesterday, we don’t go into the prevent D BS .  After we kicked the FG,  I was thinking we were going to something just like that and sure enough. I hope PK and Sark notice in the film is despite our ho hum  day on defense, in the second half and more so towards the end we were finally wearing their O line down and getting penetration and pressure.  They only scored 7 points and early in the second half for crying out loud until the winning drive at the end. 

No way in hell am I giving up on this team.   We should run the table and get a second shot at the dirt burglars at Jerryworld in December.  This is after we absolutely throttle Tech and the rest of the Rig 12 leftovers on our schedule.   Put the date on the calendar and circle it , beat these SOBs and get a playoff birth.  It’s that simple.  

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

no idea what you are talking about? OU is clearly better in the trenches on both sides and their WRs were better overall. Their DBs are better, LBs better, I’d give Texas one advantage at RB, maybe slightly better at QB, but other than that Texas had only 3 successful trips to the Red zone and had to rely on a blocked punt in the EZ and the OU RB dropping an easy pass for a TD to even keep the game close. OU has several top 10 classes on that roster and 5 star talent on both sides of the ball. It’ll be a toss up again in the CCG.

• Fuck You 2

I didn't think we were dominated on the LOS.  They had a better defensive scheme that targeted our weaknesses.  Sark eventually figured out what to do against it but it took a while.  Our defensive scheme was for most of the game just dumb.  PK has no answers for an accurate QB.  We've seen three years of that now. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, Captainant said:

OU came out like a loose bottle of shampoo in your luggage - they were fuckin EVERYWHERE. They came out with so much more intensity it stalled our first quarter and gave em the edge they needed.

I always question how much a coach can control that.  Slow starts seem to be our thing, so that seems to be a Sark symptom.

I also think this team remains somewhat psychologically delicate.  It's a little different than in the past, because we are (were) dealing with prosperity coming into a big game with our rival and undefeated.  New territory all around.

Sure, the personnel has changed somewhat from the mindfucked teams of the past, but a lot of that change involves people who've never played this game before and quite a few whose only experience was last year's dooky stomp together with some fairly inexplicable losses.

I think OU had the psychological advantage due to having an entire year of focus on getting revenge for 49-0. This is not making an excuse for Sark / Texas. Great coaches and teams would maintain the motivation to go out and beat them by 49 again. But we didn’t have that. It was obvious from the opening snap that they had more fire and were playing for revenge.

If we can take care of business and win out the rest of our B12 games - and there’s absolutely no reason why we shouldn’t - then we should have plenty of motivation in Arlington.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I always question how much a coach can control that.  Slow starts seem to be our thing, so that seems to be a Sark symptom.

I also think this team remains somewhat psychologically delicate.  It's a little different than in the past, because we are (were) dealing with prosperity coming into a big game with our rival and undefeated.  New territory all around.

Sure, the personnel has changed somewhat from the mindfucked teams of the past, but a lot of that change involves people who've never played this game before and quite a few whose only experience was last year's dooky stomp together with some fairly inexplicable losses.

I think the slow starts are a function of focusing on staying calm. Truthfully, the most prepared, most talented team should play with a business like manner, intensity of training should eliminate anxiety and the feeling of pressure. Emotion often leads to mistakes. Those are fundamental truths of athletic focus. In reality championship focus still requires a level of energy output - even if calm - that few can really tap into. I think the emotional angry play of OU translates into a higher level of focus early even if a tremendously inefficient expenditure of energy and at a risk of making mistakes. Trying to be calm sedates the level of energy needed to focus and risks being flat footed to start. Saban preaches the sark method too, but he’s always had superior training and athletes so it works. In this case the OU method of emotional intensity worked, but plenty of examples are out there of calm march down the field take advantage of emotion and score. Anyway, I don’t have an answer, there is an entire industry built around achieving and maintaining highest levels of focus and there is a reason why the most successful pro athletes have an entourage of experts including psychologists to help them find that state.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

I thought the loss of Majors was huge. OU got pressure up the middle and the usually cohesive unit began to miss a lot of blocks.
  • Hook 'Em 7

21 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Weathering the storm doesn’t work in that game. We will never learn. It pisses me off. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah about that. It will happen again. Just have fun! Hes a perfect OC. HC, nah. We all get to hear about the goal line stand and the great Dillon gabriel for the rest of the season because our coach is a pussy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I thought the loss of Majors was huge. OU got pressure up the middle and the usually cohesive unit began to miss a lot of blocks.

If I could change 1 thing it’s probably this, though OU too had late game injuries that made it easier for our offense. 

second thing I would change is either the face mask penalty on X at the goal line or simply call that play on second down. 

third thing I would change is clock management on the last drive. 

I think anyone of those go a different way Texas wins playing subpar football. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Yes losing your center is probably the 2nd worst thing that can happen to an offense.

8 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

The game was a bloodbath. Both teams lost a handful of players. OU had a true freshman at LG after Everett sucked ass through a straw and a JAG transfer from the wrong Miami at RG after Mettauer went down. 

After re-watching the game, the thing that hurts me the most was Sark came here with the “All gas no brakes” mentality, but in the last min after how bad we played 80% of that game we still had a chance to end it and Sark let off the gas. Brent didn’t, OU played to win while Texas played not to lose in the last min. Quinn on that last drive was dialing, and Sark just played to kick a FG. If it was 30sec left I get it but you had a whole 1min and change on the clock and you play to give it back to an offense who we couldn’t stop for the most part. 

Sark has to be better for this team to reach its full potential. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

The game was a bloodbath. Both teams lost a handful of players. OU had a true freshman at LG after Everett sucked ass through a straw and a JAG transfer from the wrong Miami at RG after Mettauer went down. 

And still not one holding call

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, troph said:

If I could change 1 thing it’s probably this, though OU too had late game injuries that made it easier for our offense. 

second thing I would change is either the face mask penalty on X at the goal line or simply call that play on second down. 

third thing I would change is clock management on the last drive. 

I think anyone of those go a different way Texas wins playing subpar football. 

I would also add our attitude. I get it you can’t be to emotional, but man watching the game, it was a mile difference watching OU play and then watching Texas play. They look like we did against Bama. 

I believe Sark may have went it with the mindset “just another game” like we’re playing rice or Wyoming, but I don’t think you can do that, cause we did not match their intensity at All!! 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’d like to see the last OU drive tape. Our LBs were bad most of the game but I’m pretty sure we got decent pressure on OU. Two guys closed in on Gabriel for a sack near midfield and he slipped away, tons of pressure on the TD play. We had a PI call and a scramble that fucked us really. 

20 minutes ago, troph said:

I think the slow starts are a function of focusing on staying calm. Truthfully, the most prepared, most talented team should play with a business like manner, intensity of training should eliminate anxiety and the feeling of pressure. Emotion often leads to mistakes. Those are fundamental truths of athletic focus. In reality championship focus still requires a level of energy output - even if calm - that few can really tap into. I think the emotional angry play of OU translates into a higher level of focus early even if a tremendously inefficient expenditure of energy and at a risk of making mistakes. Trying to be calm sedates the level of energy needed to focus and risks being flat footed to start. Saban preaches the sark method too, but he’s always had superior training and athletes so it works. In this case the OU method of emotional intensity worked, but plenty of examples are out there of calm march down the field take advantage of emotion and score. Anyway, I don’t have an answer, there is an entire industry built around achieving and maintaining highest levels of focus and there is a reason why the most successful pro athletes have an entourage of experts including psychologists to help them find that state.

Yes, like many things psychological, no easy answer. I think it's somewhat facile to say we just don't come out with our hair on fire. Especially when team culture seems mostly pretty good. 

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

And Texas still didn’t generate pressure

Just now, bigcigar said:

And Texas still didn’t generate pressure

Which was the difference between winning and losing. No one saw that coming.

I had a good feeling about OU dline hanging tough, but I thought the oline was in for a long day. I was pleasantly surprised. 

11 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I would also add our attitude. I get it you can’t be to emotional, but man watching the game, it was a mile difference watching OU play and then watching Texas play. They look like we did against Bama. 

I believe Sark may have went it with the mindset “just another game” like we’re playing rice or Wyoming, but I don’t think you can do that, cause we did not match their intensity at All!! 

I’m not sure I agree but I understand your point. There is no doubt Texas players wanted the win and badly. The problem was Texas was not focused at a level to match OU at the beginning. But the team took the lead so they had what it took. That’s not “want to” or “emotion” that’s focus and the million dollar question. OU has had plenty of embarrassing moments in their history as have we. Elite level focus is elusive. They clearly had it through emotion we did not have it trying to stay calm. I’m not sure staying calm is the wrong strategy though. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, troph said:

I’m not sure I agree but I understand your point. There is no doubt Texas players wanted the win and badly. The problem was Texas was not focused at a level to match OU at the beginning. But the team took the lead so they had what it took. That’s not want to or emotion that’s the million dollar question. OU has had plenty of embarrassing moments in their history as have we. Elite level focus is elusive. They clearly had it through emotion we did not have it trying to stay calm. I’m not sure staying calm is the wrong strategy though. 

True!!! I believe it’s all knowing what kind of team you have. Just watching this team the last few weeks I believe imo we play better when we play with emotion. When we played Bama, Sark had emotion before that game, and you can tell it trickled down to the players, or even in the other games, in the 2nd half we played with emotion imo which spark those big 2nd half's, but yesterday in the pregame interview Sark acted like he was taking a walk in the park in one of the biggest rivalry games in CFB against a team you know has been waiting on this game since last season. I’m not sure that’s how this team is to operate at its best. But yes you are right, cause you can’t always be to emotional 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ll put it another way, my tennis coach (coached D-1 talent privately) talks about finding a way to win when you can’t find that level of focus and your opponent is playing lights out. He says that defines as champion. Sark actually talked about it in the post game presser. 

I think that’s what happened and preparation was there and sufficient I’m certain. You can be prepared and still not find that flow state. It’s fucking elusive. We had it in spades against Bama and sputtered but did find it at times against OU. Ewers clearly found it completing 84% of his passes. 

yeah sark shit the bed at least twice - clock management and the 1st and goal from the 1. But in the end this game was about Texas just not finding that flow state and not being good enough to over come it. It was a one play game, and I like our chances in December if we can take care of business. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zeus said:

How many big12 games in a row is it without one?

Last year I want to say it was every big 12 game we drew one total holding call. 

I understand y’alls fixation on this topic, but Texas was not flagged for holding either. And if you don’t think those lineman were holding on for dear life at times, you’re crazy. 

Edited by Constant
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Once the sack on 2nd happens, he should burn every second of the play clock, because at that point, he’s playing for a fq.

I want to revisit this, I think OU was calling timeouts. At least one but I think it was two if not three. 

Edited by troph

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

I understand y’alls fixation on this topic, but Texas was not flagged for holding either. And if you don’t think those lineman were holding on for dear life at times, you’re crazy. 

The Texas view - true or not - is that OU historically teaches a technique that is more aggressively holding knowing that the refs won’t and really can’t call it every play.  Add to that this ref crew has undoubtedly fucked Texas in prior games and at least 3 no calls (2 facemasks - one at the goal line on 4th down and 1 PI) and you have an elixir for believing - possibly correctly, possibly not - that OU got away with it all game long.  But yes, cfb players hold to an extent every play, some more aggressively than others.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

We can argue outcoached vs outplayed until the cows come home....and it's obviously a little of both.

Despite the auspicious start and all the weird shit that happened we were in position to win the game. coming back from down 2 scores.

Losing the turnover battle 3-0

70 yards in penalties.

0-4 from the one was ridiculous...play calling was terrible there.  Execution was even worse (and it wasn't Sweat or Murphy)

PK and his D were dogshit yesterday.

Poor scheme, poor tackling.  Gabriel could do whatever he wanted.  Allowing a 5 play, 75 yard GW drive in about a minute is unreal.

How many of his yards, rushing and passing were on busted plays?  Even the game winning TD was a fluke...and another blown coverage from a safety

Can we retire the bubble screens....FOREVER??

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

We can argue outcoached vs outplayed until the cows come home....and it's obviously a little of both.

Despite the auspicious start and all the weird shit that happened we were in position to win the game. coming back from down 2 scores.

Losing the turnover battle 3-0

70 yards in penalties.

0-4 from the one was ridiculous...play calling was terrible there.  Execution was even worse (and it wasn't Sweat or Murphy)

PK and his D were dogshit yesterday.

Poor scheme, poor tackling.  Gabriel could do whatever he wanted.  Allowing a 5 play, 75 yard GW drive in about a minute is unreal.

How many of his yards, rushing and passing were on busted plays?  Even the game winning TD was a fluke...and another blown coverage from a safety

Can we retire the bubble screens....FOREVER??

And as bad as that was, one play from winning. Look back at all the saban championship teams, most had a moment they did not play their best - sometimes they lost but even in the wins you could see the struggle.

This program is close.  I really believe it. Oddly, yesterday showed it. How you take the lead with 1:17 after playing that bad is something else.

• Hook 'Em 3

I know a lot of coaches preach that every game should be treated the same way. "This game is no different from any other game on the schedule." While conceptually it makes sense, in reality you can't sustain similar level of emotion for every game. Some rare coaches like Saban and Kirby have been able to do it consistently over the years but most other coaches fail to get their teams up for every game.

I think a coach is better off acknowledging the mental limitations of young men and plan accordingly rather than trying to force something that's not natural. Prepare your team differently for rivalry games so that you can match or exceed the intensity of your rival. You can win most other games just by your sheer talent advantage even if you don't have the same level of intensity. 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

Saban does not coach to emotion he coaches to focus and execution and his approach actually down plays and tries to remove excess emotion. If you can’t see that you haven’t really paid attention. That’s sark’s way too. Like it or not, you aren’t going to get sark going rah rah for Texas OU. It’s not going to happen. But let’s see what happens the rest of the way out and in Arlington if that happens before we judge. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 2

Well it certainly helps if you get a different set of rules than the other team