Texas vs ou - 11am on ABC

Pancho

1 hour ago, Constant said:

To temper your optimism, here is Ethan Downs from Weatherford, Oklahoma manhandling a bonafide 1st round pick. 

My take away here is that Brooks made a mistake.  This is a right side run focused team.  The lead blockers go right.  If Brooks follows his lead blockers he probably gets in with some extra effort or push.  This team doesn't execute consistently.  It has been a problem all year.  Finally caught up to them.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

My take away here is that Brooks made a mistake.  This is a right side run focused team.  The lead blockers go right.  If Brooks follows his lead blockers he probably gets in with some extra effort or push.  This team doesn't execute consistently.  It has been a problem all year.  Finally caught up to them.

Well, that, and I thought the current thing is to fold the rest of the blockers in behind the back and push him over the line... but there I go thinking again.

8 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I asked troph whether or not angry people win football games. You inserted yourself and babbled about 13 games. You then mentioned one game. Now you are tall king about something else.

Never mind.

You mean when you inserted yourself into the conversation about coaching with emotion? Don't be an asshole. The thread as a whole was talking about it.

12 minutes ago, Monahorns said:

Yup. What good is having Murphy and Sweat in if you're not running right behind them?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You mean when you inserted yourself into the conversation about coaching with emotion? Don't be an asshole. The thread as a whole was talking about it.

No, I mean where I asked someone else whether angry people win football games or not. Don't be an asshole and pretend you don't get it and that you are in charge of the conversation.

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

No, I mean where I asked someone else whether angry people win football games or not. Don't be an asshole and pretend you don't get it and that you are in charge of the conversation.

20D38722-98CE-4463-BA26-D00F9F06728F.gif

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

She was talking to UTEE97 and you hopped in and then got irritated with me doing the same thing. Lol. Some of you guys act like children.

Interesting.  Could not see that in real time at game.  That said, the fact that was on does not show signs of a coach coming into a game with a pussy mentality.  

I saw it when they kicked. I was trying to figure out who 17 was. I’m not sure if the plan was to toss it across the field or set it up for later, but I don’t think they were both ever out there together after that.

I think we're agreeing. I'm talking about (recent)-historically and noting that Sark's regime is an improvement and movement in the right direction.
Historically, we fold. We fucked this game up, but we didn't fold. We weren't as tough and focused as we need to be, but in the recent past a game starts that badly for us and we collapse. But we didn't this time.

When did that happen recently?

4 hours ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Agreed, we've had very few Dawgs. And straight up don't offer them in preference of 5 star divas. Not offering a legacy like all American linebacker Bryce Hager but then being all in full boner mode for soft kids like the Brockermeyer twins. 

Wait a minute, without getting too player specific, we're talking about the kids of two UT AAs, one set of which attended Westlake and the other FW Country Day, and we took the sibling of the one in question, who proved something less than a dawg.

I don't think this example really demonstrates what you cite it for.  Of the Brocks and Hagers, Bryce turned out to be the best player, but that's about it.

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Mature dude, doing nature dude things. Shouldn’t have been put in that position anyway. 

I wish he would mature his tackling form and wrap up instead of trying to knock ball carriers down. He's not the only one, however, he's a senior.

This is also clearly a coaching issue, because they aren't demanding it emphatically enough, if at all. Tough to tell from the outside. I can only go based on what I see in games and I see it all the time from multiple players.

Likewise, ball carriers aren't consistently wrapping up the ball with both arms in heavy traffic or when a tackle is imminent. Brooks tends to. I note he was recruited and coached by Drayton. I'm not seeing it from just about anyone else. Fumbles waiting to happen. Ewers' fumble was a perfect example. If he'd just double wrapped the ball when he knew a tackle was imminent, that fumble probably doesn't happen. This is a coaching issue.

Sark and staff, you get what you emphasize.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Comes from the head coaching imo. DKR and early Mack are the only true coaches we’ve had that actually had the right mentality in terms of that. Late Mack brown and tv Mack that you see isn’t who early Mack was. 

Mack?  Wut?  Mack was a wuss from jump to the bitter end.  He wound up having to get out of VY's way, both in terms of scheming the offense and just letting his nuts hang.

But what this post probably does underscore is that the coach has to tailor his psychological approach to his players, and more specifically to his team leaders.  Or let the leaders lead with a little nudge here and there.

Vince was a fiery leader and had some fiery leaders elsewhere on the team.  I'm not so sure about this team.  Ewers apparently is stepping into a leadership role, but I don't think the dude is ever going to be fiery.

Regardless, this whole analysis is terminally infected with hindsight bias.

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

After OU’s TD drive to open the second half until the final TD drive, they went: 3 and out, turnover on downs, missed FG and another 3 and out.

There was reason to believe the defense was in a decent spot and had made the necessary adjustments.

and then we changed our defense.  I'd have preferred we played tight balls out man and if they beat us for a quick TD at least they get the ball back with 2 TO's and time.

It was horrible clock management by Sark and then PK compounded it.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Mature dude, doing nature dude things. Shouldn’t have been put in that position anyway. 

the crazy thing about that play is we had TWO guys coming off the edge that were blocked by ONE tackle because the inside guy on our line didn't fucking do his got dam job.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

the crazy thing about that play is we had TWO guys coming off the edge that were blocked by ONE tackle because the inside guy on our line didn't fucking do his got dam job.

That play and the whole drive was a cluster fuck on defense. I thought PK would have some spying and blitzes saved for Gabriel. Instead… it was his vaunted “bend the break”.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I’m just finishing up my stern letter of displeasure in the coaching staff to send to sark. Expect drastic changes moving forward. I’ve attached multiple posts to my letter(I copied them and then glued them under my objections and disappointments in the coaches). I should hear back from sark and co. By Tuesday afternoon. You’re welcome.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m just finishing up my stern letter of displeasure in the coaching staff to send to sark. Expect drastic changes moving forward. I’ve attached multiple posts to my letter(I copied them and then glued them under my objections and disappointments in the coaches). I should hear back from sark and co. By Tuesday afternoon. You’re welcome.

Really Karen GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Does Bellmont have a suggestion box?....I think they need a suggestion box.

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Mine will be going Fed Ex Priority AM overnight.    I want it  on their desk at 8 AM tomorrow .

Use a courier.  "I have a high-priority message for delivery to a Mr. Christopher Del Conte and a Mr. Stephen Sarkisian from a Mr. Nueces River Rat"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

He didn't. It was 3 with the quick whip route to X (and the no facemask call.)

You're right on the whip route. Those always feel like runs to me since they're either behind or at the LOS. I was meaning trying for something inside the endzone to Gunnar or Sanders. I was shocked he didn't try that on 3rd down after the two failed runs. 

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wait a minute, without getting too player specific, we're talking about the kids of two UT AAs, one set of which attended Westlake and the other FW Country Day, and we took the sibling of the one in question, who proved something less than a dawg.

I don't think this example really demonstrates what you cite it for.  Of the Brocks and Hagers, Bryce turned out to be the best player, but that's about it.

Meaning the 2 ️ kid that Texas didn't even look at that became an all American. 

Yet went full on boner jams for a set of supposed 5️ TAPPS kids that are soft AF and will never start at a P5 program. 

A prime example of what Texas does a lot in recruiting. There's plenty of high ranked diva busts that greatly contributed to the rot the last 13 years. 

Meanwhile (outside of the Malcolm Brown's and Bijan) our best guys to reach the next level were 3️ last minute offers. (Connor Williams, D'onta Foreman)

Finished watching the replay.

Hard not to notice it somewhat in person, but wow did Jaylan Ford have a terrible game.

We definitely could have used more clock on the FG drive but the tempo was also part of the drive’s success so hard to say it’s a black and white issue of coaching failure. Once we had first down at the 30 we should have been using the maximum amount of time possible though.

I pray we get another chance at those guys.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm just disappointed at the clear lack of energy, effort, and preparation by the staff. 

OU so obviously came out with more energy and effort, it was palpable

And sitting back and letting Gabriel run is simply inexcusable.   The staff seemed to have not watched a single moment of film. 

Team has got to grow from this

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

I'm just disappointed at the clear lack of energy, effort, and preparation by the staff. 

OU so obviously came out with more energy and effort, it was palpable

And sitting back and letting Gabriel run is simply inexcusable.   The staff seemed to have not watched a single moment of film. 

Gabriel’s first game over 100 rushing yards in 44 collegiate starts.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, BurgleBro said:

Not just that we didn’t watch film and anticipate the using DG as a runner, it’s that we didn’t adjust and bring an extra blitzer after our DL showed that they alone could not pressure/contain him.

12 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Not just that we didn’t watch film and anticipate the using DG as a runner, it’s that we didn’t adjust and bring an extra blitzer after our DL showed that they alone could not pressure/contain him.

He had 80 yards rushing in 4 games before this game. He’s not a runner, in 10 games at UCF he had 169 yards, in 12 games last year he had 315 yards. I’m not great at math but that’s 16 and 26 yards a game. He played the best game of his life and will never play that good again. It’s what the Sooners do in that rivalry game lol. It sucks but it is what it is. PK is the DC so he will eat a lot of that blame but when a guy plays a perfect game sometimes it’s hard to stop. Gabriel is a decent qb that played his ass off. Period. 

Edited by WinningIsHard
Stats don’t lie lol

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

He had 80 yards rushing in 4 games before this game. He’s not a runner, in 10 games at UCF he had 169 yards, in 12 games last year he had 315 yards. I’m not great at math but that’s 16 and 26 yards a game. He played the best game of his life and will never play that good again. It’s what the Sooners do in that rivalry game lol. It sucks but it is what it is. PK is the DC so he will eat a lot of that blame but when a guy plays a perfect game sometimes it’s hard to stop. Gabriel is a decent qb that played his ass off. Period. 

Would be cool to see a player with "Texas" on their jersey have the game of their life and to play their ass off.....

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Would be cool to see a player with "Texas" on their jersey have the game of their life and to play their ass off.....

I believe you can point to Ricky, Vince, Shipley, Colt…there’s some Texas guys in there that played balls out for us. It’s what @ChiTownDoc alluded to though, the sooners wanna win that game like they wanna breathe the last 23 years. We on the other hand are entitled and play more like we should win a lot because we recruit well. I hate it with all my being but at the end of the day it’s backed up by the amount of ass kickings we have taken in that rivalry since stoops was hired. Those fuckers come angry and we just show up.