Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

If it is a major command post, there will be a lot of items that the IDF doesn't necessarily want Hamas to know for certain that they have yet.  Radios and other comms, for instance.  Try to listen in on their conversations and keep them guessing about how much IDF really has.

But yes, I was expecting more, too.

well you cannot fight without rations. Dates, some pita, a bit of hummus, some dried goat meat are what I want. Fuck MRE's, you don't shit after eating them, which is why sergeants are such mean SOB's. Well so I was told. 

And some nice jasmine tea. 

Edited by InkaUtexas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Small amount of weapons. Enough to cause a bit of chaos on the IDF, and I wonder if they were moved by Hamas via tunnels. Yeah, not what was advertised unless more emerges. Either way both sides are going to argue. Pro-IDF, see there were weapons. Pro-Hamas, see IDF made it up. 
One interesting note. The bandages in plastic bags tossed in a corner where weapons were found. The word from Hamas the hospital had no supplies. And images from other sources show it was chaotic, but organized. 

Yeah, I’m pretty much paying zero attention to what the fucking pigs say and go with IDF on this one..,,

Noa Marciano was a IDF soldier taken by Hamas, shown alive a few days later. Now, she is dead, Hamas claiming IDF bombing killed her. 

I’m skeptical of that. I don’t think Hamas has given a real accounting of hostages, and considering the slapdick way they were nabbed, some are probably in really volatile situations. There really doesn’t seem to be anything to keep them from being abused and killed. 

• Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Parliament said:

If you don’t want the hostages you take to be accidentally killed by Israeli bombs, don’t take hostages.

If you don’t want your hospital to be accused of being used as a Hamas command center, don’t store weapons in your hospital.

That's what I hate.  You got guys holed up in religious sites, hospitals, and other sensitive sites.  They shoot at you.  You level the building with a rocket and then everyone gets pissed at you.  During WW2, we leveled churches without hesitation if there was a sniper holed up in there.  Now you take RPGs from a mosque and you tried to shoot at it, you would be facing courts martial. 

21 minutes ago, Parliament said:

If you don’t want the hostages you take to be accidentally killed by Israeli bombs, don’t take hostages.

If you don’t want your hospital to be accused of being used as a Hamas command center, don’t store weapons in your hospital.

And if you want a ceasefire after you started a war, you need to surrender unconditionally.  See Japan and Germany in 1945.

• Hook 'Em 6

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-11-16-23/h_147460596932dbea9fad7df8c1c9bde1

IDF claims it found a tunnel shaft inside Al-Shifa Hospital complex and releases photo and video
From CNN's Andrew Carey

Israel claims it found an “operational tunnel shaft” inside the Al-Shifa Hospital complex in Gaza City.

“Today, Hamas's tunneling infrastructure was exposed inside the hospital,” the Israeli military said in a statement, which also included a photo and video.
Israeli special forces raided the hospital — Gaza’s largest — in the early hours of Wednesday after saying for weeks it was the site of an underground command and control center for Hamas. Doctors and health officials in the Hamas-run enclave have consistently denied the accusation.

20 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

well you cannot fight without rations. Dates, some pita, a bit of hummus, some dried goat meat are what I want. Fuck MRE's, you don't shit after eating them, which is why sergeants are such mean SOB's. Well so I was told. 

And some nice jasmine tea. 

I know this is a strange question to ask, but isn't that a good thing? Considering that dysentery was such a big killer of troops for most of history, wouldn't you want to shit less when in the field vs. risk taking in something where you are introduced to new germs your body doesn't know how to deal with?

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news-11-16-23/h_147460596932dbea9fad7df8c1c9bde1

IDF claims it found a tunnel shaft inside Al-Shifa Hospital complex and releases photo and video
From CNN's Andrew Carey

Israel claims it found an “operational tunnel shaft” inside the Al-Shifa Hospital complex in Gaza City.

“Today, Hamas's tunneling infrastructure was exposed inside the hospital,” the Israeli military said in a statement, which also included a photo and video.
Israeli special forces raided the hospital — Gaza’s largest — in the early hours of Wednesday after saying for weeks it was the site of an underground command and control center for Hamas. Doctors and health officials in the Hamas-run enclave have consistently denied the accusation.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I know this is a strange question to ask, but isn't that a good thing? Considering that dysentery was such a big killer of troops for most of history, wouldn't you want to shit less when in the field vs. risk taking in something where you are introduced to new germs your body doesn't know how to deal with?

Yep, but still can make you pissed off when you don't crap for a few days and still have to keep eating. 

• Haha 1

Yemen fired off another drone either towards Israel or towards a US Navy destroyer (which may have been in the way) and it was intercepted over the Red Sea.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/15/politics/us-warship-shoots-down-drone/index.html

Tell the Saudis to level Yemen or we’ll leave them for the Iranians to deal with as we extract every piece of military from SA. Fuckers.

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm pretty sure that leveling Yemen would probably be a war crime.

Not only that, but it's not the internationally recognized Yemeni government which is supported by the US and our allies, firing off these missiles; it's the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in the northwestern part of the country doing it. But, yeah, let's level the whole country and let God sort out Yemem's 34 million souls.

• Hook 'Em 2

Can anyone explain “liquid explosives” to me? Can they somehow pump an explosive down into tunnels and destroy them from the inside? I guess turning an explosive into liquid doesn’t surprise me but the containment of that liquid and ability to “target it” intrigues me with how it’s done. 

anyone have a NY Times sub? (edit: figured out how to get around it)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/16/world/middleeast/yehudit-weiss-hamas-hostage-israel.html

Israeli soldiers have recovered the bodies of two hostages kidnapped during the Hamas-led attack on Israel last month from buildings near the Al-Shifa Hospital complex in Gaza City, the Israeli military has said.

The body of Yehudit Weiss, 65, a resident of Be’eri, a kibbutz near the border with Gaza, was found Thursday by troops who in recent days have taken control of much of the hospital, the largest in the Gaza Strip, according to the Israeli military. On Friday, the military said soldiers recovered the body of a second hostage, Corp. Noa Marciano, 19, in a building next to Al-Shifa hospital.

The Israeli authorities say that Hamas and other Palestinian groups took roughly 240 people hostage during the surprise attack on Oct. 7 that left about 1,200 dead in Israel. The ongoing hostage crisis — which involves dozens of dual nationals — has stunned the country and complicated Israel’s hopes of toppling Hamas in Gaza.

Israeli officials say the hospital complex hosts major Hamas facilities, some in underground bunkers, a claim that Hamas and hospital officials reject. The military has said the presence of the hostages’ bodies near the hospital is indicative that Hamas used the complex.

In its statement on Thursday, the military did not reveal how Ms. Weiss had died. Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari, an Israeli military spokesman, told reporters that soldiers searching within and beneath the hospital complex had found weapons belonging to her captors near her remains.

“Yehudit was killed by terrorists in the Gaza Strip, and we didn’t manage to reach her in time,” he said.

Hamas published a video this week purporting to show Corporal Marciano dead. The Israeli military had earlier confirmed her death.

Hamas has released four Israeli hostages, and Israeli troops rescued a 19-year-old Israeli soldier last month. Negotiations are underway for the release of 50 hostages, in exchange for the release of Palestinians held in Israeli prisons and a cessation of hostilities for several days, according to Israeli officials.

Israeli troops transferred Ms. Weiss’s body to Israel for forensic testing by health officials, who confirmed her identity, the military said. Her husband, Shmulik Weiss, was killed in the Oct. 7 attack, Admiral Hagari said.

Their community, Be’eri, a close-knit kibbutz of about 1,000 residents, was devastated in the attack, with at least 86 killed, according to the kibbutz administration. Roughly 25 remain missing, and many of those are believed to have been abducted.

In a video statement after her kidnapping, Ms. Weiss’s family said that she and Mr. Weiss had ceased responding to messages after around 10:15 a.m. on Oct. 7. Both of their phones were later traced to Gaza, said their son Ohad.

“We had so much hope that Mom would come back,” another of their sons, Omer, told reporters on Thursday night after learning of his mother’s death. “We wished for it and we hoped. Sadly, it was too late for us — but perhaps for the rest of the families, it’s not.”

A correction was made on 

Nov. 16, 2023

An earlier version of this article misidentified the son of Yehudit Weiss who spoke to reporters on Thursday night. He is Omer, not Ohad.

wondering what "near" the complex means because I have seen other references to the article say the bodies were found on the hospital grounds.

Edited by Viper

11 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Can anyone explain “liquid explosives” to me? Can they somehow pump an explosive down into tunnels and destroy them from the inside? I guess turning an explosive into liquid doesn’t surprise me but the containment of that liquid and ability to “target it” intrigues me with how it’s done. 

Destroying every foot of tunnel should be on the table. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Or they could round up a bunch of wild boars.  Have a running of the boars in the tunnels.  Anyone with suicide vests wouldn't dare to blow themselves up because getting parts on you at time of death makes you unclean and no heaven for you.  Mount cameras on the boars.

Edited by FartingMonk
  • Haha 1