Israel-Hamas war thread

Brisketexan

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

A "true believer" doesn't look at statistics and probability.  Someone wound them up and set them loose

Hence my "this is just the distraction/disruption" phase of the game.  There's more to come

I tend to look for tight analysis for higher level shit and then run with it and it can be wrong but there no way Russia, China and Iran aren’t actively talking about how to get the Yankees out of the control seat and this is undoubtedly imo opinion part of it. Two have natural resources for the one that has a world power economy, all have despot leaders, at least two are fully nuclear, all want neighbors destroyed or controlled and they all have one true common enemy or road block - US military and weaponized-economic hegemony.  

I can’t see a problem brewing here…. 

Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm sure I could find the answer if I dug deep enough, perhaps on this thread, but indulge me:

I see Palestinians on the Gaza Strip referring to their living conditions as like being in an "open air prison".  Up until the past few days, it seems they were weathering a siege of sorts, with limited resource availability.  To what degree have they been "captive" over the years?  Are they free to come and go, crossing into neighboring countries, etc.?

I understand that we're now talking about a full blown siege.  I want to know about their prior living conditions.

It got really bad in 2007 when Israel implemented a blockade to the strip in response to Hamas being cock bags.  The strip relies on Israel for everything:  food, water, electricity.  Before that, in the early 90's the Oslo accords gave the Palestinians a measure of self determinism before Hamas flipped the table.  Israel moved out Israeli settlements in the early 2000's, but when Hamas was elected into power in 2006, no further elections have happened in the region and they effectively control everything.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, troph said:

We only have 9. 1-2 are usually home. We have strategic concerns in the south China sea, the Med, the Arctic, Europe, the pacific… This isn’t chips and salsa despite “America Bald Eagles Soaring High Fuck Yeah” activate the Taiwan straights and three theaters of war and we aren’t enjoying enchiladas as those three trade support and threaten nukes to get what they each individually want.

Don't we have a couple laying around ? I thought  Bremerton and Newport News each had a hull that have been in refubishment for quite a while, looking a Bremerton looks like a lot of subs like to hang out there too (not the boomers they are just north of that at Bangor). Or maybe those are being decommissioned; same difference. Lots of hulls sitting around, not many seaworthy or ready for action/deployment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

30 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

"Forced", is that how this works?

forced by their benefactor, iran.

25 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Rouhani just said they weren’t involved.

I believe yo. I don’t know why but I do

is he even involved anymore?

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If the Houthi actually had such missiles, they would have used them against Riyadh.  If they had them and saved them, and then tried to use them against Israel, they'd have to fly over Saudi Arabia, and I'm sure the Saudis would take that as a sign, with the backing of the US, to do something.

they've been itching to test their newer tech homemade weapons in live scenarios since the truce started, although if they do it's almost certainly going to bring an end to their role in government.

US arms heading into the region

More boom-boom on the way

Israel’s appeal for more arms came into focus earlier Monday, after Biden administration officials briefed congressional leaders and the heads of security-focused committees on the surprise attacks by Hamas, according to two people familiar with the meeting. During the unclassified call, officials told lawmakers that America’s closest ally in the Middle East urgently needed precision-guided munitions and more interceptors for the Iron Dome air defense system.

One of the people familiar with the call said Israel was also seeking more U.S.-made small-diameter bombs.

12 hours ago, F250 said:

This problem started during the 20th century. This wasn't a conflict under the Ottoman nor Byzantine empires.

The idea that this is am ancient conflict is bullshit.

The historical instability of the region ties into modern conflicts like this. No, the crusades weren't the Jews vs. Palestinians but this spit of land has never not been coveted by outside factions. It's been fought over for a very long time in one way or another. Song remains the same/only the names have changed etc.

15 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Don't we have a couple laying around ? I thought  Bremerton and Newport News each had a hull that have been in refubishment for quite a while, looking a Bremerton looks like a lot of subs like to hang out there too (not the boomers they are just north of that at Bangor). Or maybe those are being decommissioned; same difference. Lots of hulls sitting around, not many seaworthy or ready for action/deployment.

There's 4 hulls at Newport News right now just fyi. One being the hulk of the old Enterprise.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

The historical instability of the region ties into modern conflicts like this. No, the crusades weren't the Jews vs. Palestinians but this spit of land has never not been coveted by outside factions. It's been fought over for a very long time in one way or another. Song remains the same/only the names have changed etc.

No he is correct. This particular dynamic is from the early 20th century

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

And now special forces...

Doubt we put them into Gaza. I think this is more about getting other Americans out. When the Embassy evacuated from El Salvador in 1989, DELTA came in. Pretty standard. 

Could also be a command and control team to coordinate with Israeli forces. They have some experience in this. 

Fog of war, different communications systems and language would make us going into Gaza a fucked up operation. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, MisterP said:

What exactly does this mean. Thank you.

Was just saying the article that was on that pdf was based on Mearsheimer's 'The Israel Lobby' and was a short paper by he and a co-author.  Not that I give him much of a thought, but it wasn't a computer aids black hole is all I was getting at.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Was just saying the article that was on that pdf was based on Mearsheimer's 'The Israel Lobby' and was a short paper by he and a co-author.  Not that I give him much of a thought, but it wasn't a computer aids black hole is all I was getting at.  

Yea I thought people thought it was sketchy or something because I dont post a lot. A friend genuinely sent that to me as his reason for "fuck zionist Israel" and it just seemed to be super anti Israel but wanted more educated thoughts on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Doubt we put them into Gaza. I think this is more about getting other Americans out. When the Embassy evacuated from El Salvador in 1989, DELTA came in. Pretty standard. 

Could also be a command and control team to coordinate with Israeli forces. They have some experience in this. 

Fog of war, different communications systems and language would make us going into Gaza a fucked up operation. 

My guess is CAG, DEVGRU, and the CIA SAD guys are already there or in route as we speak.  Most have already trained with the Israelis in the past so the cohesion concerns are less worrisome.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, MisterP said:

Yea I thought people thought it was sketchy or something because I dont post a lot. A friend genuinely sent that to me as his reason for "fuck zionist Israel" and it just seemed to be super anti Israel but wanted more educated thoughts on it.

I just didn’t want to be kidnapped and interrogated. Computer aids is meh. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

My guess is CAG, DEVGRU, and the CIA SAD guys are already there or in route as we speak.  Most have already trained with the Israelis in the past so the cohesion concerns are less worrisome.  

Yes, but with special elements, not rank and file. My dad was in one of those groups and spent a lot of time over there. But that was mainly for hijacked aircraft. Finding 10+ Americans under bombardment? Different story. And would need air assets of some sort. I am sure there are some special air units in theater, so perhaps something to watch for. 

either way, and hope I am wrong, I do not think many hostages survive once the ground invasion starts. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I would believe all of this except in the case of all the other hot spots around the globe, the pentagon isn’t providing press statements and certainly not telegraphing the chances we do go in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Language isn't a problem in that all Israelis are bilingual. However, I assume military communications are in hebrew.

A few scattered thoughts from a pleb...

• The tweet about special forces is awesome, if there is one thing I know about clandestine military groups, it's that they definitely need more help with their social media presence
  • The outrage machine has been turned on and turned up
  • Fuck the Russians, Fuck Hamas, Fuck Iran...  list too long
  • What has Hamas done to Israel that Russia hasn't done to Ukraine?
  • So why is the outrage machine only now going full blast?  Russia can fight back, maybe?  And maybe this a way they are fighting back.
  • Russia is the big winner here, arms, money, and attention is off the old non sexy war for towns with no vowels...  There's a new hotness that needs ALL the weapons and every politician will line up to send them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MisterP said:

fuck zionist Israel generally means fuck Jews so it isn't worth spending time on arguing. There are plenty of books and readings to counter the information, but why waste your time? The guy isn't going to change his mind and it is just going to lead to anger and animosity.

13 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Something to watch is our supply of munitions.  Ukraine has drained that quite a bit.  I'm talking artillery shells, missiles, etc.  Not sure how much we have on hand but I know our production capabilities are strained.

Russia is happy. Any resources given to Israel are fewer resources provided to Ukraine. Now all we need is for China to attack/invade some territory in the South Pacific and we'll be involved in a full de factor global war for our military resources.

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Language isn't a problem in that all Israelis are bilingual. However, I assume military communications are in hebrew.

LOL, so were my South African security personnel in Afghanistan. When shit hit the fan they all reverted back to Afrikaans. 

And not all Israelis are bilingual to a level to cooperate in that setting. I know a retired Colonel. Having a beer with him and sometimes he is hard to understand. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

fuck zionist Israel generally means fuck Jews so it isn't worth spending time on arguing. There are plenty of books and readings to counter the information, but why waste your time? The guy isn't going to change his mind and it is just going to lead to anger and animosity.

It was more for my own edification...

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

LOL, so were my South African security personnel in Afghanistan. When shit hit the fan they all reverted back to Afrikaans. 

And not all Israelis are bilingual to a level to cooperate in that setting. I know a retired Colonel. Having a beer with him and sometimes he is hard to understand. 

I negotiate contracts with Indians in English from time to time so this hits close to home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Rage+1 1