Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

I mean seriously what the fuck are we doing here. Doesn’t sound to me that Espada is the guy when (1) he wasn’t hired immediately and (2) our GM didn’t even know his fucking contract had expired. 

I was relieved to hear the dumbass Angels hired Ron. I can’t believe he was an actual candidate but I was also sure we would end up with him somehow. And Maldy of course.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I'm fine with Maldy coming back as long as he doesn't start more than 40 games. That should be a clause in his contract. he starts more than 40 games, he waives his salary. 

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Nope, can't be on the roster at all.  It's the only way to be sure.

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

JV / Framber / Javier are getting more than 40 starts 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s why he can’t be on the roster. One bad start with Diaz and they’ll immediately pout and demand Maldy again. 

Remember in Moneyball when Billy Beane kept telling Art Howe to start Hatteberg at 1B instead of Peña, but Howe was like "fuck you, I control the lineup card"?  And then Beane said "fuck you" and traded Peña.  

That's what has to be done with Maldy.  You have to cut him loose or you open the team up to a lot of fuckery and unnecessary drama next season.

• Hook 'Em 7

11 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

I mean seriously what the fuck are we doing here. Doesn’t sound to me that Espada is the guy when (1) he wasn’t hired immediately and (2) our GM didn’t even know his fucking contract had expired. 

I was relieved to hear the dumbass Angels hired Ron. I can’t believe he was an actual candidate but I was also sure we would end up with him somehow. And Maldy of course.

Ron Washington was the only one that thought he was a candidate for the Astros. That shit came from his side. I agree Espada is not looking like the guy, but this is getting ridiculous. It appears the front office is again on different pages.

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Ron Washington was the only one that thought he was a candidate for the Astros. That shit came from his side. I agree Espada is not looking like the guy, but this is getting ridiculous. It appears the front office is again on different pages.

Espada is the guy 

Hire Maldy as an assistant coach and let him retire with some dignity. He's too old and slow to be a catcher in this league even in limited play, and the club would be better off finding a young player or two to fill the backup role. Korey Lee would have been a better backup option than Maldy in 2024. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-begin-interviewing-for-manager-position

Looks like they are actually beginning interviews.  Espada first

I like the point McTaggert makes, that this is Brown's first chance to ever interview managers.  It's wise to let him go through a full process.  Even if Espada is the guy already.  Which is almost definitely is.  

I wonder if that 8m a year Counsell deal is causing issues with the perceived value of the manager position and the negotiation of contracts. That one was a real shock to the league and may have caused agents to push for more money for attractive candidates. Getting at least 2 teams to bid on your guy should net a couple million more, so there could be some jockeying for more money behind the scenes. I believe the remaining open positions are Astros, Padres and Brewers. Not a whole lot of seats left if anyone is trying to create a bidding war. 

I think the Angels just said "fuck it" and hired the cheapest guy available to lead them as tank commander and save some cash. I can't imagine any other teams interviewed Washington, and I don't see any reports of it happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No more moody, broody bitch ass players or managers, coaches or front office people. Unless you are hitting above .315 STFU.

They need to put a big ass tampon dispenser in the middle of the clubhouse. Unless you are sub 2.0 ERA keep your mouth shut and pitch bitch.
Pena is too young to start acting like that. Detected a touch of that with all his bad HEB acting. This team only has room for one bad actor that’s Bregman. Tighten that shit up Pena

Edited by TejasPedro
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

LOL. Who the fuck is Jeremy Booth? @Wulaw Horn and his ilk are too mean. 

Or it could go the opposite way. Guys around the league could be saying hey there is a potential goldmine in Houston. All I have to do is show up not be a total goofball and play the best players. Take a semi loaded roster and add a few dudes and bam they will love me forever. Don’t do what Dusty did is the recipe for success. 
I for one, already love the new skipper!

• Hook 'Em 3

Figured it out.  It was when he lied that he had never met Clanton.  And I said:

Doubling down on lying is never a good idea man. You know damn well you know him just like all other Astros fans/media do. Just stop. You were wrong, it was dumb, move on

That got me blocked ahahahahahahaha

• Haha 3