Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

Astros owner Jim Crane to MLB.com: "Altuve was here when I got here in 2011. We're the only two guys that have been here that long. Not only has he performed well, but to have him hopefully retire here is a big deal for the franchise, for him and the fans, more importantly."

• Hook 'Em 4

Finally over the heart break and ready to begin participating in the board some again.

The greatest Astro of all time is here to stay.   I kind of hope he doesn't get to 3000 hits by then so selfishly we can have more time with him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Through 1,668 career games:

#Astros Jose Altuve - .307/.364/.471
7,360 plate appearances | 2,047 hits
33 years and 148 days old

#Yankees Derek Jeter - .316/.388/.463
7,662 plate appearances | 2,133 hits
32 years and 83 days old

#Padres Tony Gwynn - .332/.386/.443
7,184 plate appearances | 2,159 hits
34 years and 67 days old

#RedSox Wade Boggs - .337/.427/.459
7,522 plate appearances | 2,150 hits
34 years and 348 days old

#Brewers Paul Molitor - .302/.364/.444
7,360 plate appearances | 2,050 hits
35 years and 12 days old

#Royals George Brett - .310/.376/.506
7,171 plate appearances | 2,011 hits
33 years and 20 days old

#Pirates Roberto Clemente - .310/.348/.454
7,006 plate appearances | 2,022 hits
32 years and 38 days old

#Reds Pete Rose - .312/.375/.436
7,565 plate appearances | 2,113 hits
32 years and 134 days old

Great news! So happy Altuve will be an Astro for life! He absolutely deserves it and to be a little overpaid for the last couple of years. 

Are we done doubting Dana now?  I think this has been a hell of an offseason for us, really can't complain about anything here. They can stick with the roster as is, and adjust at the trade deadline as needed. Should be good for another 100+ win season and another ALCS appearance.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

32 years and 83 days old

34 years and 67 days old

35 years and 12 days old

33 years and 20 days old

32 years and 38 days old

Just like with Biggio, the only thing that is going to keep Altuve from getting some crazy counting stats is missed time outside of his control in his prime.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

hear me out on bregman, he signs a team friendly contract because of his legacy here and houston is the best place for his growing food business 

I dunno, I have a hard time seeing the guy who's still pissed off about being drafted 2nd taking anything less than the max offer, wherever it is.

Or maybe he's matured?  Hell, who knows.

Don't care.  Got Tuve.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

32 years and 83 days old

34 years and 67 days old

35 years and 12 days old

33 years and 20 days old

32 years and 38 days old

Seeing all those 32 yos on that list has me once again saying “fucking Covid”

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/24/2023 at 11:26 AM, Snake Diggity said:

Offseason checklist in order:

1. Replace Baker with Espada

2. Replace Maldonado with an affordable well rounded backup C (Victor Caratini?)

3. Extend Altuve

4. Add a leverage RP to replace Neris if he opts for free agency (Matt Moore?)

5. See if any other stars bite on an extremely team-friendly extension (Bregman, Tucker, Framber, B Abreu)

6. Be opportunistic on the trade and free agency markets to potentially upgrade other areas that aren’t necessarily weaknesses but also aren’t strengths (CF/LF, SS, SP).

7. Be on the lookout to convert MLB depth into high ceiling prospects (assuming all above tasks are completed)

2024 has a chance to be Houston’s deepest and most talented roster ever, depending on how aggressive/smart Brown and Crane are.

1-4 got done, with #4 way over my expectations.  Theres still quite a few decent players available so #6 may happen too.  I doubt #5 and #7 will happen but if they sign a SP I could see Urquidy traded for prospects.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I have seen 13 in person....ready to see 13 more 

this is the record i care the most about.  way more than 3000 hits.  also he should have 28, fucking mookie betts series.

pretty amazing he has 27 considering how horrid he was in the '22 postseason.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Are we done doubting Dana now?

Crane has been front and center on the extension-what are crediting to Dana?

I said a variation of when Hader signed, but this is yet another data point that Crane is exerting more control that what we saw under Luhnow or Click.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

With this team, Dana’s primary job is to rebuild the pipeline, which is currently pretty bare. So far, I haven’t seen a lot of progress in that regard. 

Yep. Brown was hired to rebuild the organization. The MLB team hasn't really needed much. Next year, with the likely departure of Bregman will be Dana's 1st big test. Hopefully, Dezenzo and/or Wagner are ready to step up or Chapman signs a 1-year deal this season and is available next season as well.

Edited by HtownHorn

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

With this team, Dana’s primary job is to rebuild the pipeline, which is currently pretty bare. So far, I haven’t seen a lot of progress in that regard. 

That’s fair, but also fair to note that Brown has only presided over one draft and wasn’t really in a position to acquire prospects via trade in 2023, and he was hired fairly late in the offseason a year ago (not to mention that there seemed to be weird power dynamics with Dusty last season). Not necessarily defending him, but I just don’t think we have enough time yet to assess progress at all. I don’t really have an opinion on Brown yet.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Crane has been front and center on the extension-what are crediting to Dana?

I said a variation of when Hader signed, but this is yet another data point that Crane is exerting more control that what we saw under Luhnow or Click.  

So last year, when Crane was handing out bad deals, it was all on him, right? Now that Dana is here and the highest ranking member of the organization, we see Caratini 2/12 (great pickup), Hader 5/95 (pricey but awesome) and Altuve 5/125 (cheaper than expected), all good deals for those players, it's still Crane getting all the credit? 

C'mon man... He has got to be involved in these negotiations, he just needs Crane to approve going into the tax, which Dana should also get credit for doing. He had to sell Crane on the fact that this team can win another ring next year and it's worth spending into the tax to get it done.  Maybe Jim has reached his "I'm old and I can't take my money with me" phase of life, but either way someone had to convince him it's worth spending a lot to win now and again. 

10 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

So last year, when Crane was handing out bad deals, it was all on him, right? Now that Dana is here and the highest ranking member of the organization, we see Caratini 2/12 (great pickup), Hader 5/95 (pricey but awesome) and Altuve 5/125 (cheaper than expected), all good deals for those players, it's still Crane getting all the credit? 

C'mon man... He has got to be involved in these negotiations, he just needs Crane to approve going into the tax, which Dana should also get credit for doing. He had to sell Crane on the fact that this team can win another ring next year and it's worth spending into the tax to get it done.  Maybe Jim has reached his "I'm old and I can't take my money with me" phase of life, but either way someone had to convince him it's worth spending a lot to win now and again. 

I think Caratini (and Coleman and the other lesser adds) were Brown, but Hader and Altuve were mainly Crane.  I think any spend over about $30M will be Crane’s idea and he will be the lead negotiator.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

He had to sell Crane on the fact that this team can win another ring next year and it's worth spending into the tax to get it done.

Why would he need to sell the owner that the ALCS loser in game seven, and which hasn’t lost any key contributors from that team, can win a ring next year?  Crane has always said he would spend into the tax if it makes sense and he did.  

I’m not trying to give Crane credit for doing the obvious, either.  You seem to think Brown is worthy of praise for some reason, though, and I think the only record there really is to go on are his hires in the front office and his minor league FA signings and end of roster chum, and I’m not particularly equipped to judge those for good or ill.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

this is the record i care the most about.  way more than 3000 hits.  also he should have 28, fucking mookie betts series.

pretty amazing he has 27 considering how horrid he was in the '22 postseason.

we’re never out of a playoff game when altuve is in the line up.