Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Also, there is no reason Loperfido should start the season in AAA. He's better than Singleton and provides the Astros with positional flexibility.

Don't know how you leave him off the big club

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Also, there is no reason Loperfido should start the season in AAA. He's better than Singleton and provides the Astros with positional flexibility.

Joey Loperfido went 3-for-3 with 2 2B, RBI, SB in today’s Spring Training game. He’s hitting .423 with 5 2B, 5 RBI in 26 at bats this spring. #Astros

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Joey Loperfido went 3-for-3 with 2 2B, RBI, SB in today’s Spring Training game. He’s hitting .423 with 5 2B, 5 RBI in 26 at bats this spring. #Astros

Joey Lawrence Wow GIF by Mayim Bialik

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Radio talk - we lose two picks for hader, lose two more if you sign snell. Snell wanted a big contract, at this point will he want an opt out after a year ? 

no one has put eyes on him this spring training ?

We lose more the following year too because of where we are in the luxury tax…

when this window closes, it’s going to be slammed shut for a while…unless crane is just going to be old man Steinbrenner and continue to field the best team money can buy in to perpetuity 

28 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

when this window closes, it’s going to be slammed shut for a while…unless crane is just going to be old man Steinbrenner and continue to field the best team money can buy in to perpetuity 

Depends on when the window closes. If they wanted to sell off after 2025 they could get a shitload of prospects, be bad for a year, mediocre for a year and then ready to get after it. 
That would mean trading Yordan, Diaz, Javier, Brown, Snell, Hader, Pena, France, Chas and Meyers (if he doesn’t suck) and probably chipping in some money along the way.  But that’s like 12 top 100 prospects and some other interesting dudes too if it all plays out well for us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

offer dubin a longer deal 

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

So, one more year with Bregman, one or two more with JV, two more with Tucker…isn’t this (Snell/1 or 2 year deal) exactly the type of deal the Astros should be pursuing?

Yeah, seems like a no brainer.  The only thing I don’t like is the post ‘24 option.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Right? And $33m AAV doesn’t seem out of line. Not sure what I’m missing. 

It’s not 33 it’s 66 you are on the hook for if he blows out his arm and opts in. 

9 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Maybe Boras is just using the Astros to negotiate with the Yankees?

And bingo was his name-O. 

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It’s still 33 AAV regardless of his arm health.

Missed the AAV part of that. While that’s true that’s not how Jimbo is conceptualizing the number. 
I wonder if he’d be willing to do a 100 IP to guarantee year 2 along with his option.  JV did that. 

58 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Missed the AAV part of that. While that’s true that’s not how Jimbo is conceptualizing the number. 
I wonder if he’d be willing to do a 100 IP to guarantee year 2 along with his option.  JV did that. 

Needs to be higher than that. I'd go 130. He's only hit that number twice in his career and won the CYA both times.

• Hook 'Em 1

The #Astros released the following Minor Leaguers today:

RHP Jimmy Endersby
RHP Austin Hansen
RHP Peyton Plumlee
RHP Jonathan Sprinkle
RHP Austin Temple
RHP Derek West
C Sandro Gaston
C Freddy Guilamo
C Carlos Hurtado
3B Justin Williams
SS Ricardo Balogh
SS Tim Borden II

It's insane that a reigning (and two time!), healthy, and 31 year old Cy Young winner still isn't signed 10 days before opening day. I think a significant reason for it is the impact of analytics, which has Snell rarely pitch deep into the 3rd time through the lineup and also has teams prize the draft picks they would lose by signing a free agent like him. If I'm right, it's just the latest piece of evidence that MLBPA screwed up on the current collective bargaining agreement.

2 minutes ago, APMP said:

It's insane that a reigning (and two time!), healthy, and 31 year old Cy Young winner still isn't signed 10 days before opening day. I think a significant reason for it is the impact of analytics, which has Snell rarely pitch deep into the 3rd time through the lineup and also has teams prize the draft picks they would lose by signing a free agent like him. If I'm right, it's just the latest piece of evidence that MLBPA screwed up on the current collective bargaining agreement.

Dead arm ?

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

The #Astros released the following Minor Leaguers today:

RHP Jimmy Endersby
RHP Austin Hansen
RHP Peyton Plumlee
RHP Jonathan Sprinkle
RHP Austin Temple
RHP Derek West
C Sandro Gaston
C Freddy Guilamo
C Carlos Hurtado
3B Justin Williams
SS Ricardo Balogh
SS Tim Borden II

A few more guys not on that list were also released.  No major surprises although Dauri Lorenzo was an intl top 30 prospect when he signed so I figured he’d get another year of development.  Gaston, Balogh, and Borden all showed potential at one point but it’s not shocking to see them cut loose.  I am hoping to see some aggressive assignments in 2 weeks, especially in Fayetteville, as there’s a handful of teenage position players who have some of the highest ceilings in the Astros system (Jaworsky, Hernandez, Luciano, Gomez, Huezo, Ochoa).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, APMP said:

Snell's problem is he has exceeded 130 IP twice in his career. He won the CY both times, but otherwise he's not worth a high AAV over a long term contact investement from the rest of his career. He wants to get paid like a #1, but hasn't shown he's capable of pitching to that standard consistently. It's likely he doesn't reach that innings level next season because it took him 6 years in between the 1st and 2nd time. No front office is paying $200M for a pitcher that will give you one quality saeson in his deal.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1