Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

45 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

This dude is hilarious.

It's funny he touched on something one of my (two) black nerd friends and I were talking about.

Incoming csb

My BNF: those northerners are racist.

Me (white male): why?

BNF: you see the way they were looking at Grey Worm and Missandei?

Me: the same way they were looking at everyone?

BNF: no man, look *rewinds scene*

Me: that's how they look at Daenerys too. I mean, for 7 seasons they've been saying Northerners hate outsiders. They hate Dany. They hate Tyrion. They hate the Unsullied. They hate Varys. They hate Jamie. 

BNF: *now glaring at me and shaking his head*

Me: you think Grey Worm and Missandei are special because they're black?

BNF: *presses play, mutters*

The good news is we're still friends. But he's still mad.

I thought this was pretty obviously a Django rides into town on a horse homage.

Not necessarily "racist" but I very much doubt the serfs of winterfell have ever seen a non-white person in their life. It just makes the "outsiders" theme larger. 

Edited by seven

They looked on everyone with sneers, even their "King of the North". With Grey Worm and Missy, there probably also was some extra curiosity/fear/mistrust, as they had never seen anyone who was not white. Most of them probably had not even seen anyone who would fit the "brown" skin tone of the Martells. It just makes them even more "furrin'" to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deech said:

Cersei was drinking wine post-sex, right?  So she was totally mind-fucking her brothers last season?

i don't thinks so . i'm sure she is preggers going by the look on her face when he says " i'm gonna put a prince in you "she is willing to let that be public perception , if need be . thats why i think she fucked him , with people to corroborate it . did he offer the wine ? i dont remember . rather accept than refuse and explain ?? 

Tyrion did offer her wine, she did not drink it.

He likely tied her not drinking it and her holding her belly to the conclusion she was pregnant. 

She may have turned it down to drive that point home. She may have not drank it because she did not want to seem to be meeting him on common ground. Maybe because she had some form of morning sickness. Maybe because he handed it to her and she feared he somehow slipped something in it. It did not have to be because pregnant women do not drink wine in their world. 

In the scene with Euron, she could be pregnant and a single glass of wine, sipped over time, would not do much harm.

I still think there is a possibility that she is pregnant and the child is a boy. She has pregnancy complications which take her out, thereby the "little brother"(to her other children) takes her out.

6 minutes ago, tejas60 said:

my  prediction: Lady Lyanna Mormont marries Robin Arryn and Robin sits on the Iron Throne.

This happens...

4 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I'm still holding out hope that the little shit gets sent through the moon door at some point. 

...then she fulfills this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Love this shit.  First thing I did when got to work this morning.  Yes before I did any work.

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

This dude is hilarious.

It's funny he touched on something one of my (two) black nerd friends and I were talking about.

Incoming csb

My BNF: those northerners are racist.

Me (white male): why?

BNF: you see the way they were looking at Grey Worm and Missandei?

Me: the same way they were looking at everyone?

BNF: no man, look *rewinds scene*

Me: that's how they look at Daenerys too. I mean, for 7 seasons they've been saying Northerners hate outsiders. They hate Dany. They hate Tyrion. They hate the Unsullied. They hate Varys. They hate Jamie. 

BNF: *now glaring at me and shaking his head*

Me: you think Grey Worm and Missandei are special because they're black?

BNF: *presses play, mutters*

The good news is we're still friends. But he's still mad.

My wife and I had the same conversation(She's mixed Black). I thought it was more about they REALLY hate outsiders, and she was like, "why they gotta hate the only black characterson the show?"

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:14 PM, Mach 1 said:

They just replayed the Hound/Brienne fight scene on HBO.  JFC I forgot how crazy that was. I remembered it as a simple sword fight and kick off the ledge, but it's full on hand to hand combat, with donkey kick, head butt and rock to the head.

The Hound has always been my favorite character the show.  Rewatching his heartwarming speech to Arya afterward reminded my why. (And that dude is a good actor).

I never watched the show until I got HBOgo on Amazon Prime a month or so ago, and I;'ve been cathching up when I have the time. I just watched that episode last night. Brutal fight, starts out as sword play, devolves into biting off ears and cunt punts.

Question (if the answer is a spoiler never mind)-- why didn't Aria (sp?) kill The Hound when she got the chance? He was on her list of names. Or is this one of those things Talking Heads will be debating for years to come?

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

I never watched the show until I got HBOgo on Amazon Prime a month or so ago, and I;'ve been cathching up when I have the time. I just watched that episode last night. Brutal fight, starts out as sword play, devolves into biting off ears and cunt punts.

Question (if the answer is a spoiler never mind)-- why didn't Aria (sp?) kill The Hound when she got the chance? He was on her list of names. Or is this one of those things Talking Heads will be debating for years to come?

I don't think I am spoiling anything but here goes. I think she wanted him to suffer. While she felt a little better about him, she still held the grudge. Killing him would have been too quick, in her mind.

IIRC, Arya had a discussion about her list with the skinny, faceless man, chick.  The Hound was no longer on the list and she was no longer sure if she wanted him dead or not.

It could have been part of the lying game they played, so not sure if Arya really removed him or lied about his not being on the list.

Edited by Jerry Callo

At that point, she probably thought he was dead. So he would not be on the to do list. 

From the actual scene. he asks her if she remembers where the heart is and she nods yes. At that point, I think she was wavering. He saw that and tried to goad her into finishing him off. I think it had the opposite effect from what he wanted, I think he goaded her into letting him suffer.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Her opinion on the Hound evolved over time. Suffering never seemed part of the equation to me. I always viewed it as a "let the gods decide" move and that she was leaving the door open for the Hound to pull himself together.            

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Horny04 said:

So according to the Witch cersei either dies before the baby is born or the baby dies or she's lying

She dies during childbirth so technically she really only lives to see three children born and die.  But I’m hoping Tyrion walks in as it’s happening as a final irony so her thick skull gets the fact that babies don’t kill their moms.  

Just watched S06E05 The Door. I’ve never cared much for Bran and this episode highlights that. His naïveté and carelessness with his warg abilities directly results in the death of Hodor, Summer, Leaf and the other Children of the Forest, and the Three Eyed Raven. Not to mention, he will eventually allow the Night King to cross The Wall. 

I know Bran will be important down the stretch and I know his flashbacks are key to understanding Jon’s history, but he’s tough to root for. Just an awkward teenager roaming around doing weird shit, separate from basically every other main character, and inadvertently causing destruction in the process.

My guess is that Bran is the night king. Part of him is anyway, in my opinion. So, his “carelessness” is actually planned.

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Why does everyone seem to have contempt or hatred for Jaime when calling him "Kingslayer"? They say it like it's a derogatory term. The guy basically killed the Hitler of Westeros, and nobody seems to appreciate that fact any more. 

IDGAF about his name.  It’s the incestuous bullshit and being willing kill a kid over it that makes me dislike Jamie.

He loves Cersei.  Wrap your just mind around that on any of many different levels.

Just now, slorch said:

It’s the incestuous bullshit and being willing kill a kid over it that makes me dislike Jamie.

that’s the old jaime.  he’s realized the errors of his past.  and in a roundabout way he deserves the medal of freedom because if he didn’t try to violently murder the innocent nine-year-old boy who caught him fucking his twin sister, bran wouldn’t be the three-eyed raven and everyone would be fucked.  

Sorry.  This ain’t hockey.

IDGAF about what happened as a result.  Jamie is shit.  That’s why people dislike him.  

Freaking Tyrion is the only likeable Lannister, IMHO.

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

IDGAF about what happened as a result.  Jamie is shit.  That’s why people dislike him.  

I hear what you're saying and would probably want to knock the lunch tray out his hands back in high school too, but I think the story of his character is meant to be an overarching one of entitlement, arrogance, humiliation, empathy, and ultimate redemption (in that order) which means he'll likely sacrifice himself for the greater good before this epoch is done.

Edited by bolverk
had to add one more stage in his evolution
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, slorch said:

IDGAF about his name.  It’s the incestuous bullshit and being willing kill a kid over it that makes me dislike Jamie.

He loves Cersei.  Wrap your just mind around that on any of many different levels.

Is there any character you like that isn't from House Stark? 

17 minutes ago, slorch said:

Don't want to derail the thread.  I'm not a GOT diehard in that I haven't watched every episode of every season.  I watched the first season and have seen about 50% of the episodes since then, maybe a few more than that.  I did see most of last season and watched Sunday night.  Peter Dinklage is, in my opinion, the best actor on this show.  I can't recall an episode or even a scene where I thought he wasn't great/believable/credible/whatever actors aspire to do.  I hope Tyrion makes it through to the end.  

9 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I guess this is what I'm actually asking. Did I miss something, or is it open to interpretation? Either is fine, but I can't often tell the difference.

I'm pretty sure it's open to interpretation. Having spent so much time on the road with him, she develops a sort of fondness for him in spite of her original intentions to kill him. Or, at least, that's the way I see it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Is there any character you like that isn't from House Stark? 

Why THAT qualifier?

I didn't really like any of the Starks besides Jon Snow.   Aria has grown on me now that she's running her gauntlet of revenge.

I pretty much like Tyrion, Jon Snow, and secondary characters of Oberyn, Davos, and Bronn

jamie pretty much sits around and mopes about having one hand.  He hasn't done shit in forever.  His charcter is a fucking beating with regard to the script.  He's in Joffrey territory as far as wishing he would fucking die.

Edited by slorch

She dies during childbirth so technically she really only lives to see three children born and die.  But I’m hoping Tyrion walks in as it’s happening as a final irony so her thick skull gets the fact that babies don’t kill their moms.  

This seems a little bookfaggish.

52 minutes ago, slorch said:

Why THAT qualifier?

I didn't really like any of the Starks besides Jon Snow.   Aria has grown on me now that she's running her gauntlet of revenge.

I pretty much like Tyrion, Jon Snow, and secondary characters of Oberyn, Davos, and Bronn

jamie pretty much sits around and mopes about having one hand.  He hasn't done shit in forever.  His charcter is a fucking beating with regard to the script.  He's in Joffrey territory as far as wishing he would fucking die.

You don't like the Hound?

You make a good point that most of the main characters aren't that interesting. Jaime is, though. He's going through some shit, that's all. Didn't like Brienne at first, but she too is interesting.

I don't get the twist wherein Cercei's Hand asks Bronn to kill Jaime. They're asshole buddies. Surely they could have found a better way to turn Jaime against Cercei, because Bronn will spill the beans.

The Hound is surly enough, for sure, and he gave us plenty of one liners( lots of cunts)  but he seems like he's just hanging around.

Aria's gonna fuck him up, so he's worth the wait.

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Only watch each show the one time on Sunday, so I’m kind of dumb on it. thought gendry was poderick and my nerd friends flayed me for it. This show really brings it out of people.

Since you're literally a sidewalk, I can't understand why you'd be upset that people are walking all over you.

40 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

You don't like the Hound?

You make a good point that most of the main characters aren't that interesting. Jaime is, though. He's going through some shit, that's all. Didn't like Brienne at first, but she too is interesting.

I don't get the twist wherein Cercei's Hand asks Bronn to kill Jaime. They're asshole buddies. Surely they could have found a better way to turn Jaime against Cercei, because Bronn will spill the beans.

Yeah, I can't figure out if they're trying to set him up or grossly miscalculating his greed. Then again maybe the audience is being set up and Bronn really is just an asshole.

4 minutes ago, Eternal Noob said:

Yeah, I can't figure out if they're trying to set him up or grossly miscalculating his greed. Then again maybe the audience is being set up and Bronn really is just an asshole.

Bronn's a pretty loyal guy, I think the only thing that could get him to betray Jamie or Tyrion is pussy.  He only cares about gold to the extent it can buy him his one true love.

3 hours ago, slorch said:

The Hound killed the butcher’s boy

Jon killed the kid who stabbed him

The Red woman roasted a little girl

Ned beheaded a young person for running from the dead

Catelyn killed an innocent young girl at the red wedding

The old bag killed Joffrey

the man with no face killed either super dike or Arya depending on who won the fight after he ordered the attempt on Arya

It’s just the business of survival.  Sometimes you have to kill a kid.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

I don’t understand why people think that was a big deal. He keeps saying he’s not Bran anymore. He doesn’t give a shit that that guy threw Bran out of the window. If anything, he’s good with it because now he’s the three eyed raven.

Totally agree. I think Jaime is going to be Bran's hand ( lolz, it works on several levels) somehow.

11 hours ago, Eternal Noob said:

i never thought for a second he was being setup. i think he'll walk right up to jamie and tyrion in winterfell and tell them instantly what cersei asked him to do.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread