Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

6 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

That score is ... "precise", but in the "measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax" level of precision.

In other words, just putting a decimal point there doesn't give your (ridiculous) score any gravitas - unless you'd care to show your work of how you came to that mathematical precision?

Reveal hidden contents

ramjet-you-arrogant-ass-youve-killed-us.

i showed my work in the post you quoted.

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

i showed my work in the post you quoted.

If that was "showing your work", you must've failed math ... a lot.

There was lots of silly rambling, then a number.  With no rationale to define why 4.3, and not 4.2 or 4.4, other than Derka-logic.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I liked it.  They set up lots of different potential conflicts and intrigues right off the bat.  It was an efficient use of time and they’ve done in a way where you can see multiple different paths for several of the biggest characters. Solid work.

It is also interesting, though not surprising, that they’re still pretty much following the prior seasons’ format with the white walkers.  They’re lurking in the background, but the show is still more about the human intrigues even as they are finally invading south of the wall.  I suspect we will see the big white walker battle towards the end of the season, but it won’t be the big finale.  Cersei and/or someone else who emerges (signs currently pointing to Dany or Sansa) will be the final villain.

Pretty sure the big white walker battle is episode 3, next week is prepping for it, last three episodes are fallout from it. 

8 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

everyone's up in arms about the 4.3 (a fair score) but there's hardly any chatter about the content of the episode- an episode that was arguably the most highly anticipated single TV episode since Breaking Bad's finale- that should tell you something.

4.3 is a fair score. There's no reason to watch the episode twice. The first 2/3 was as i said very hokey, cartoonish, and contrived, and the final third, while enjoyable, wasn't anything worth giving a hog score to. It was fine, but a couple of "ooh" moments which will no doubt be expounded upon in the next episode. Still, the best scenes of the entire episode would score a solid 6 in my book. Nothing to write home about. The episode was mostly weak and for that it gets a weak score. I'm hoping next week's episode is much better.

There's no reason to write the same post twice either. ;)

Disagree with your thoughts on the first 2/3.  I'd give it a 6.5 or 7.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hornian said:

Pretty sure the big white walker battle is episode 3, next week is prepping for it, last three episodes are fallout from it. 

Next week looks to be the Jaime trial, maybe Jon's coming out party and Tormund arrives near the end to tell them to be ready for battle the next day. That would all fit in the 1 hour episode. Then the rest are longer, involving battles on both fronts.

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

everyone's up in arms about the 4.3 (a fair score) but there's hardly any chatter about the content of the episode- an episode that was arguably the most highly anticipated single TV episode since Breaking Bad's finale- that should tell you something.

4.3 is a fair score. There's no reason to watch the episode twice. The first 2/3 was as i said very hokey, cartoonish, and contrived, and the final third, while enjoyable, wasn't anything worth giving a hog score to. It was fine, but a couple of "ooh" moments which will no doubt be expounded upon in the next episode. Still, the best scenes of the entire episode would score a solid 6 in my book. Nothing to write home about. The episode was mostly weak and for that it gets a weak score. I'm hoping next week's episode is much better.

Just because you say it’s a fair score, doesn’t make it so. 

1 hour ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Thought it was brilliant.  Thinking ole Jamie is done next episode

wrong. 

37 minutes ago, BERT said:

4.3 good grief 

4.3 is an extraordinarily high score.  that’s straight A’s with some honors credits thrown in. 

7 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Next week looks to be the Jaime trial, 

jaime getting killed? jaime trial?  

the dead army is coming and jaime is there to fight.  bran cares fuckall about bringing jaime to justice for pushing him out the goddamn window.  whatever he wants to talk to jaime about in the courtyard is infinitely more important than their shared past. 

• Like 1

I agree with Derka, would rate it a 5/10. The dialogue in this show has just gotten downright bad over the last few seasons. And the riding around on the dragons like Aladdin was cringy.

I think people are lying to themselves about how good it is when it really has fallen off over the latest few seasons. Still an epic show but not reaching the highs of the first 3-4 seasons.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

jaime getting killed? jaime trial?  

the dead army is coming and jaime is there to fight.  bran cares fuckall about bringing jaime to justice for pushing him out the goddamn window.  whatever he wants to talk to jaime about in the courtyard is infinitely more important than their shared past. 

They showed a snippet in the scenes for next week. They are questioning him. They are going to be somewhat suspicious of his motives They will bring up his past bad deeds. He will have Tyrion and Brienne acting as character witnesses. He will tell them about Cersei's shenanigans. This will take maybe 8-10 minutes before they reluctantly accept him as being there to help..

I said nothing about them killing him, just that he will be put trough what amounts to a trial.

51 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Why does this have to be about you? You said your opinion. Let them have theirs.

When dealing with someone who has mental issues, its always about them, permaban derka hes a beating to deal with

Onto the episode, thought it was a great set up for the short season

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, bamachine said:

They showed a snippet in the scenes for next week. They are questioning him. They are going to be somewhat suspicious of his motives They will bring up his past bad deeds. He will have Tyrion and Brienne acting as character witnesses. He will tell them about Cersei's shenanigans. This will take maybe 8-10 minutes before they reluctantly accept him as being there to help..

I said nothing about them killing him, just that he will be put trough what amounts to a trial.

With 5 episodes left, seems like a poor use of time, so you're probably right. 

the 8 minute rom-com sidetrack with the scene straight out of how to train your dragon 2 was a little much (let's run away together to waterfall-ville!).  and looking down on them awkwardly flirting was cringe-worthy.  i'm on team sansa on this one.  and convincing folks that the threat really lies north of the wall was last season's problem.  i don't need it carrying over.  by now, everyone should know how serious it is.  6 episode season, ain't nobody got time for this.

most of the distrust plot was totally paint-by-numbers and contrived (shudder, derka was onto something??!) but it's a premiere, and they're usually pretty much setup for the season (if it was midseason, we'd condemn it for being "filler").  the difference is that this is 16% of the season (call it 10% considering the total time).  i had similar gripes about short mad men/breaking bad seasons we waited forever for, and both followed thru nicely - i'm not worried.

important stuff came out, so that's a win - jon needed to know what's what.  sam needed to find out about his fam.  we needed to know the tactical plan of defending winterfell (it was assumed, but now we know that's where the shit will go down).  also winterfell always seems so small, and seemed even smaller tonight.  doesn't look like the type of place a battle with 100k+ soldiers will be taking place.  also when you have 2 dragons, it wouldn't seem smart just to hold a castle, but what do i know?  probably could use a strategy brainstorm sesh next week, in between trials or whatever.  re: jamie trials - jamie saw bran, but he's no longer bran, as he's repeatedly told us. 

dany's arrogance is definitely starting to annoy.  it did at times last season but tyrion offset it.  she's getting a little bitchy.  someone earlier predicted she may get axed.  i never would've agreed before, but now i think it's definitely possible.  she's looking around, and not everyone is an ally (typically she's surrounded by sycophants).

the 4-way bronn plan scene was odd.  bronn has always been promised things and not gotten them - it's like a running gag - but now he's gonna get chests of gold for eventually killing one of the two people he's given a shit about this series?  naw, bro.  seems like an unlikely plan that's nearly impossible to execute.  unless it's part of a bigger plan.  cersei is really gonna kill the father of her unborn child and the undisputed love of her life?

euron is entertaining, but "i'm gonna put a prince in you" was a little silly.

per the sign at the end - does the night king really leave signs like that?  i always saw them kind of like zombies.   

bottom line, derka is out of his mind.  this was a 5.4 out of a perfect 10.2 scale.

• Like 6

I’m just here waiting for Derka to melt down about how everyone is against him and if we would just read this 17 paragraph post, we’d really understand his reasoning!

It was a fine episode, and did its job. Agreed the writing isn’t as good as when they were drawing on source material. The dragon ride was hokey but also served multiple purposes (Jon = targ = dragon rider, and furthering the Jon/Dany relationship). The best was the intro scene when they were marching in, as a callback to the first episode in the series when Robert came to Winterfell.

Sam speaking the truth to Jon was great. Sam is a lot like Rick Barnes at Texas, really undervalued! And we are going to miss him when he is gone, amirite?

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I’m just here waiting for Derka to melt down about how everyone is against him and if we would just read this 17 paragraph post, we’d really understand his reasoning!

It was a fine episode, and did its job. Agreed the writing isn’t as good as when they were drawing on source material. The dragon ride was hokey but also served multiple purposes (Jon = targ = dragon rider, and furthering the Jon/Dany relationship). The best was the intro scene when they were marching in, as a callback to the first episode in the series when Robert came to Winterfell.

Sam speaking the truth to Jon was great. Sam is a lot like Rick Barnes at Texas, really undervalued! And we are going to miss him when he is gone, amirite?

Jesus Christ, he offered his opinion--just like everybody else on this thread--and defended it when challenged to do so.

Some of you people seriously have DDS.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

per the sign at the end - does the night king really leave signs like that?  i always saw them kind of like zombies.   

As there were several callbacks to the pilot episode, that was another one. Recall in the pilot when the scared night watch guy saw all the dead bodies, they were arranged in the same pattern. It is also the same pattern you see around the tree where the night king was made. He has a bunch of zombies in his army but he is actually quite intelligent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

The army of the dead do seem identical to zombies but the white walkers are different. They seem more like vampires in that they have never died and they make make other white walkers. Or at least the night king can.

Decent set up episode.  My only complaint was the dragon joy ride.  I figured Jon would ride a dragon at some point but was hoping for a better storyline for the first ride.  I guess, to get laid, isn't the worse reason, though. 

I thought the two most interesting developments were Bron's brother killing mission from Cersei and Jaime's arrival and recognition of Bran. 

I don't see Dany stepping aside easily. There's nothing in past episodes to indicate she's willing to abdicate power under any circumstances.

I also don't see Jaime getting killed. He seems to be a true survivor and as was mentioned earlier, he's the only real military commander they have on site. The whole series has been a gradual redemption of Jaime, with him slowly but surely becoming stronger morally. 

Thought the scene with Jaime and Bran was the best of the night. 

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Jon Snow doesn’t want to be king of Westeros.  No reason for Dany to step aside. 

if it gets out who he really is, his supporters might demand it.

Yes, the dragon ride was cheesy af.

That episode was ok as the opening of a 10 episode season.  With only 5 to go, there was a lot of throat clearing, yet they just zoomed past monumental plot developments like Jon finding out his true heritage. He's told his whole life has been a lie and his Dad isn't really his Dad, but he requires 10 seconds and no evidentiary basis to accept this.  Seems legit. I'm guessing all the townsfolk will be on board with this fact next week. "Did you hear Jon Snow not's actually a Snow, but instead a secret Targaryen, so now he's the rightful heir to the throne?" "Seems legit - how do we know?" "Well, the fat guy and Emo Bran said so, so it must be true."  

I think we are all looking forward to the resolution of what has been an amazing set up that we are looking past absolutely terrible pacing and writing. 

• Like 4

There really is no need for Dany now that Jon has his connections with the dragons.  I think she get knocked off pretty early, Jon's heritage is revealed to the world, and he becomes the reluctant king.  He pulls a George Washington, helps set up a representative republic and the Seven United States of Westeros are formed.  

1 minute ago, Duke Silver said:

There really is no need for Dany now that Jon has his connections with the dragons.  I think she get knocked off pretty early, Jon's heritage is revealed to the world, and he becomes the reluctant king.  He pulls a George Washington, helps set up a representative republic and the Seven United States of Westeros are formed.  

I don't necessarily disagree she goes out relatively early but, at this point, her two armies are still needed. I don't think they stick around without her. I am preparing myself for her to go down in flames during a dragon fight to save the day to prove she's worthy at the end of this next battle.

As cheesy as it was, my only real complaint about the dragon riding scene was the timing of it.  Bran had already noted the urgency of the situation when Jon and Dany arrived.  Who the fuck is planning the defense?  I can excuse a little romance using the Spies Like Us "let's go out with a bang" defense, but the activities and mood at Winterfell make it seem as though the army of the dead is months away instead of days.   

If you are melting obsidian and reforging it into weapons, why are you making the pieces look like they were knapped by hand?  Dumb. 

Dany has always oscillated between lovably noble and annoyingly arrogant and entitled.  Her first instinct is to play the "I have to be a total cunt to get respect" card.  It makes it difficult to like her at times, but it completely fits her character, and is a reminder that the apple may not have fallen very far from the tree.  It will be interesting, and likely unenjoyable to see how she responds to the big reveal.  I agree that her initial instinct will be to assume that Sam is merely being vengeful.  I also expect Jon to say that he does not care about the Iron Throne, which won't really help much.  It will likely take some convincing by Bran, though he will first have to demonstrate his powers to her by telling her something personal that only she knows.

Dany's reaction to the big news isn't the only one that matters.  Sansa and Arya will have to come to terms with it, as will all the house leaders of the North.  Bran was adamant that Jon needed to know right now.  Why?  How does it help in the Great War?  It could conceivably unite all of the armies at their disposal, but they pretty much already are, or they wouldn't all be in WInterfell to fight the common foe.  It adds unnecessary friction at a time when it could do more harm than good.   

Yes, the dragon ride was cheesy af.
That episode was ok as the opening of a 10 episode season.  With only 5 to go, there was a lot of throat clearing, yet they just zoomed past monumental plot developments like Jon finding out his true heritage. He's told his whole life has been a lie and his Dad isn't really his Dad, but he requires 10 seconds and no evidentiary basis to accept this.  Seems legit. I'm guessing all the townsfolk will be on board with this fact next week. "Did you hear Jon Snow not's actually a Snow, but instead a secret Targaryen, so now he's the rightful heir to the throne?" "Seems legit - how do we know?" "Well, the fat guy and Emo Bran said so, so it must be true."  
I think we are all looking forward to the resolution of what has been an amazing set up that we are looking past absolutely terrible pacing and writing. 

Disagree; we saw his initial reaction. He is still grappling with it, and the sum total of people who know at this point is three. We will see the impacts of this reveal including lots of the stuff you outlined and more in coming episodes. “If you think this has a happy ending, you haven’t been paying attention.”

12 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

I disagree.  I think there has been too many hints that Dany will have Jon's baby for it to not be true.  I think Jon is more likely to get killed than Dany.  Their baby will be the true heir to the Iron Throne.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread