Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

I can’t imagine trying to watch an episode somewhere other than my living room. Need peace and quiet.

I get that everyone likes to debate every detail, but I don’t really care if Florio = Jacquen. Does it really mean something more than I am seeing?

7 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

I can’t imagine trying to watch an episode somewhere other than my living room. Need peace and quiet.

I get that everyone likes to debate every detail, but I don’t really care if Florio = Jacquen. Does it really mean something more than I am seeing?

ok now who is florio?

Okay guys, I want to get all my predictions out prior to the start of the final season so that I can come back and see how wrong I was at the end.
Here goes nothing:

Major characters:

Daenerys and Jon: I'm listing them together because I believe their fates are intertwined. My prediction is that they will either die together, or live on in some sort of exiled status.
Jon has been resurrected from the dead by the Red God so I doubt he can have children. Dany claims she lost her ability to have children after the blood magic debacle with Mirri Maz Duur. Those facts together with Dany's vision in the House of the Undying where she went north of the wall and went into a tent with Khal Drogo and their baby foreshadows either her death north of the wall, or her exile there. Jon obviously has some connection to the Night King and although I believe he will play the decisive role in the war with him, I also believe it will be the end of his reign.
I'm hesitant to say that they'll both die. I think maybe they go on living by virtue of some magic. It will also be the end of the Targaryen dynasty, ushering in a new era in both Westeros and Essos. 

The Starks:

Sansa - I'm just gonna say it. I think Sansa is going to do a face-heel turn. Throughout the series she's consistently said she wants to be queen and have power and authority. From S1 E1 to last season she has never really changed who she really is, she's just had to recalibrate based on her circumstances. She's like Cersei and Littlefinger, only better. I think she ends up as the Lady of Winterfell and is one of the last people standing.

Arya - I think she kills the Mountain, but not Cersei, and she probably hooks up with Gendry although I doubt they get married and move into a castle happily ever after. She's a killer and an adventurer and, if she lives, I don't see her settling down. Also, there's the Faceless Men sideplot and I imagine that plays a role.

Bran - Bran won't make it. As a plot device, obviously once he learns to properly control his powers he has the ability to reveal the truth of everything and win the war against the Night King. But then what? That would be a frightening person to have around, no matter who you are. If he does live, I bet he goes off with Meera to live in the Neck or to the Isle of Faces.

The Lannisters:

Cersei - I think the heaviest action of the season will be focused on her and the defense of King's Landing. I think we see some Nazi-level evil from her before it's over, and I think Jamie kills her.

Jamie - I think he kills Cersei and becomes the Azor Ahai. It has to do with Jojen seeing the flaming hand in his vision and Jamie's golden hand. I think Jamie may reforge Ice and kill Cersei with it to make Lightbringer.

Tyrion - Man, this one is tough because there isn't a lot to go on here. I think Tyrion is a Targaryen too, the bastard son of Aerys. I think at some point he abandons Dany and Jon and goes back to his brother and sister and has some role in Cersei's death. I'll make a total guess about his ultimate fate and say that he lives and becomes a ruler.

The Night King: The only idea I have about the Night King's motivations are that he has foreseen the rise of the Azor Ahai and the Three Eyed Raven and is moving to kill Bran, Jamie, and Jon. Bran because of his power. Jamie because he is the Prince who was Promised. Jon because he's a servant of the Red God and peed in his Wheaties.

Minor Characters:

Varys - Like Sansa, I think Varys is going to do a major face-heel turn. I think Varys has been serving the Night King from the beginning. It was why he came to Westeros and is behind everything he has been doing since he got there. Varys fears the Red God more than anything else because of what happened to him, and he knows more than anyone in Westeros aside from Bran (which is a recent development). I think he has created the circumstances to entice to Night King to invade, and will turn out to be a servant of his in order to destroy the Red God and all of his followers. Varys will betray Jon and Dany and Tyrion and everyone else before the end. He probably hopes to survive, but he won't.
I think this may be alluded to in the throw away line from Old Nan about the Night King's 'pack of pale white spiders' in S1. Maybe not, but it would be funny in retrospect if true. 

Sam - Sam is one of the ones that I think lives to the end. He's smart, and he's a survivor. He and Gilly make it. Their child, Little Sam, may not. I suspect the Night King may want Little Sam back, since he was supposed to be tribute from Craster. 

Mountain - The Mountain has become little more than a terrifying prop for the past few seasons. He's big and scary and menacing, but there's not much else to him. I think he and Arya will face off in an epic duel and that Arya wins. Probably not without a heavy cost. 

The Red God faction: I think this group - which includes Melisandre, Beric, the Hound, Kinvara, and maybe others before the end -  will be a critical subplot to the Season 8 action. I think a lot of the war with the Night King turns out to be a war between him and R'hollor, with R'hollor winning in the end. Although I don't think the White Walkers will come to an end. I think they end up leaving Westeros peacefully.

Qyburn - Here's my other huge plot twist. I think Qyburn turns the population of King's Landing into zombies like the Mountain to deny the Night King any fresh recruits. Cersei allows him to commit this atrocity because she'd rather rule over dead people than no one at all. I don't think it works, though, and I think Arya kills the Mountain, Jamie kills Cersei, and Qyburn is probably killed in a wildfire explosion that levels the city and destroys most of the Night King's army. 

The rest - 

The rest of the characters are sentimental favorites and we care what happens to them, but in the end whether they live or die isn't critical to the plot. Basically I think most of the warrior characters are killed and most of the political characters survive. So Davos, Theon, Missandei, and maybe Pod, Grey Worm, and Gendry live. Euron, Brienne, Tormund, Bronn, Jorah, and Yara probably die. Their fates will all be good television but if they ultimately matter more than a side note to the main story I'll be surprised.

So that's it. Years of thinking about it and finally we get to see what's up starting tonight.

• Like 2

Arya may end up killing the mountain but not before the Clegane Bowl happens.  They've foreshadowed it and dammit it's what the people want.  That, of course, would mean the hound lost and Arya had to finish it for him. I could see that happening.

I just want to see tormund get his lady.  Call me a hopeless romantic but those 2 were made for each other.

14 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

Just watched.  Yes, the Night King's mark is on Bran now.  Maybe they're connected like Frodo and Sauron.  I guess Bran also learned what can happen when you mess with the past while you're watching it.  Poor Hodor.  Long before it happened, the truth already was.  I wonder if we will get to see Hodor marching with the dead.  

anigif-sub-buzz-30425-1464200887-2.gif

Of course he’s in the dead army.  Who do you think holds open the tunnel gate at the Wall for the rest of ‘em?   Sure the dragon melts most of it but all that melted ice still makes a formidable obstacle.  Enter Dead Hodor.  Or Deador if you will. 

I remember the discussion between TER and Bran when the NK touched him, and that was supposed to have bad implications, but I'm not sure anymore what those might be.

The NK got south of the wall because he killed/zombified a dragon who now breathes wall-destroying ice-fire or whatever the hell that was.  What does that have to with Bran?

And at least we finally got an answer to why the White Walkers and army of the dead were just endlessly roaming around up there.  They were waiting on Dany to show up with their Uber.

6 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Arya - I think she kills the Mountain, but not Cersei, and she probably hooks up with Gendry although I doubt they get married and move into a castle happily ever after. She's a killer and an adventurer and, if she lives, I don't see her settling down. Also, there's the Faceless Men sideplot and I imagine that plays a role.

Arya learned her craft for the benefit of serving the many face god.  If she's been killing without sticking to his rules, there may be a debt to settle.  I wonder who comes to collect.

Edited by PRONG HORN

We got a spoiler thread yet? I saw Direct TV now released the episode like 3 hours early and a bunch of scenes leaked online.

Figure I’ve seen about half the episode by now total. Obviously don’t want to spoil because surly.

6 hours ago, Disco Missile said:

Okay guys, I want to get all my predictions out prior to the start of the final season so that I can come back and see how wrong I was at the end.
Here goes nothing:

Major characters:

Daenerys and Jon: I'm listing them together because I believe their fates are intertwined. My prediction is that they will either die together, or live on in some sort of exiled status.
Jon has been resurrected from the dead by the Red God so I doubt he can have children. Dany claims she lost her ability to have children after the blood magic debacle with Mirri Maz Duur. Those facts together with Dany's vision in the House of the Undying where she went north of the wall and went into a tent with Khal Drogo and their baby foreshadows either her death north of the wall, or her exile there. Jon obviously has some connection to the Night King and although I believe he will play the decisive role in the war with him, I also believe it will be the end of his reign.
I'm hesitant to say that they'll both die. I think maybe they go on living by virtue of some magic. It will also be the end of the Targaryen dynasty, ushering in a new era in both Westeros and Essos. 

The Starks:

Sansa - I'm just gonna say it. I think Sansa is going to do a face-heel turn. Throughout the series she's consistently said she wants to be queen and have power and authority. From S1 E1 to last season she has never really changed who she really is, she's just had to recalibrate based on her circumstances. She's like Cersei and Littlefinger, only better. I think she ends up as the Lady of Winterfell and is one of the last people standing.

Bran - Bran won't make it. As a plot device, obviously once he learns to properly control his powers he has the ability to reveal the truth of everything and win the war against the Night King. But then what? That would be a frightening person to have around, no matter who you are. If he does live, I bet he goes off with Meera to live in the Neck or to the Isle of Faces.

The Lannisters:

Cersei - I think the heaviest action of the season will be focused on her and the defense of King's Landing. I think we see some Nazi-level evil from her before it's over, and I think Jamie kills her.

Jamie - I think he kills Cersei and becomes the Azor Ahai. It has to do with Jojen seeing the flaming hand in his vision and Jamie's golden hand. I think Jamie may reforge Ice and kill Cersei with it to make Lightbringer.

Tyrion - Man, this one is tough because there isn't a lot to go on here. I think Tyrion is a Targaryen too, the bastard son of Aerys. I think at some point he abandons Dany and Jon and goes back to his brother and sister and has some role in Cersei's death. I'll make a total guess about his ultimate fate and say that he lives and becomes a ruler.

The Night King: The only idea I have about the Night King's motivations are that he has foreseen the rise of the Azor Ahai and the Three Eyed Raven and is moving to kill Bran, Jamie, and Jon. Bran because of his power. Jamie because he is the Prince who was Promised. Jon because he's a servant of the Red God and peed in his Wheaties.

Minor Characters:

Varys - Like Sansa, I think Varys is going to do a major face-heel turn. I think Varys has been serving the Night King from the beginning. It was why he came to Westeros and is behind everything he has been doing since he got there. Varys fears the Red God more than anything else because of what happened to him, and he knows more than anyone in Westeros aside from Bran (which is a recent development). I think he has created the circumstances to entice to Night King to invade, and will turn out to be a servant of his in order to destroy the Red God and all of his followers. Varys will betray Jon and Dany and Tyrion and everyone else before the end. He probably hopes to survive, but he won't.
I think this may be alluded to in the throw away line from Old Nan about the Night King's 'pack of pale white spiders' in S1. Maybe not, but it would be funny in retrospect if true. 

Sam - Sam is one of the ones that I think lives to the end. He's smart, and he's a survivor. He and Gilly make it. Their child, Little Sam, may not. I suspect the Night King may want Little Sam back, since he was supposed to be tribute from Craster. 

Mountain - The Mountain has become little more than a terrifying prop for the past few seasons. He's big and scary and menacing, but there's not much else to him. I think he and Arya will face off in an epic duel and that Arya wins. Probably not without a heavy cost. 

The Red God faction: I think this group - which includes Melisandre, Beric, the Hound, Kinvara, and maybe others before the end -  will be a critical subplot to the Season 8 action. I think a lot of the war with the Night King turns out to be a war between him and R'hollor, with R'hollor winning in the end. Although I don't think the White Walkers will come to an end. I think they end up leaving Westeros peacefully.

Qyburn - Here's my other huge plot twist. I think Qyburn turns the population of King's Landing into zombies like the Mountain to deny the Night King any fresh recruits. Cersei allows him to commit this atrocity because she'd rather rule over dead people than no one at all. I don't think it works, though, and I think Arya kills the Mountain, Jamie kills Cersei, and Qyburn is probably killed in a wildfire explosion that levels the city and destroys most of the Night King's army. 

The rest - 

The rest of the characters are sentimental favorites and we care what happens to them, but in the end whether they live or die isn't critical to the plot. Basically I think most of the warrior characters are killed and most of the political characters survive. So Davos, Theon, Missandei, and maybe Pod, Grey Worm, and Gendry live. Euron, Brienne, Tormund, Bronn, Jorah, and Yara probably die. Their fates will all be good television but if they ultimately matter more than a side note to the main story I'll be surprised.

So that's it. Years of thinking about it and finally we get to see what's up starting tonight.

Red Woman already told Varys last season they both die in Westeros. So I’m betting on them both dying this season.  

We got a spoiler thread yet? I saw Direct TV now released the episode like 3 hours early and a bunch of scenes leaked online.

Figure I’ve seen about half the episode by now total. Obviously don’t want to spoil because surly.

Because Surly? No, because common sense. I can’t believe you watched it. Seems like that would ruin the experience.

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

had to update my hulu subscription with hbo...and its not showing up..so had to go ahead and sign up for HBONow....and somehow cancel one of these 2 in the next week.

shit

Shit, glad you posted something. Hulu is borked for me too. 

Edited by pacman

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread