Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

5 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Sansa basically clowned Tyrion for trusting that Cersei would send her army north.  Sansa has become one of the most savvy characters remaining.

yeah, they've strangely made Tyrion dumb. hard to forget all the bad advice and planning he gave out last season

Just now, naija said:

yeah, they've strangely made Tyrion dumb. hard to forget all the bad advice and planning he gave out last season

Tyrion has always been clever when it comes to his personal gain. But whenever he is trying to help others, he seems quite inept. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, naija said:

there are theories that Tyrion is purposefully acting dumb and giving bad advice because he still has allegiances to his family

Episode one – 54 mins
Episode two – 58 mins
Episode three – 60 minutes
Episode four – 78 minutes
Episode five – 80 minutes
Episode six – 80 minutes

Episode 3 is gong to be around 80 min too. The early talk was wrong. The last 4 are basically mini movies.
  • Like 1

My thoughts on the show, in chronological order:

•drama between Stark girls and Dany is contrived 

•"why don't you just get it over with and kill me?" is stupid, lazy writing, how many times can different prisoners say this?

•Euron Grayjoy is cartoonish and annoying 

•I don't buy Bronn killing the Lannisters for one second 

-also, his four-way had to be interrupted to tell him that? really? just had to interrupt the four way to tell him that he might have to kill two people at some undetermined point in the future? 

•So far this episode, like much of the latter seasons, is poorly written and uncompelling; contrived, overly dramatic, overly theatrical 

•this dragon riding scene feels like it was made by Disney, and i don't mean that in no nice way

•all of the jon and dany stuff to this point is lame. there's more important shit to be done than there is time, and these two are frolicking around, exchanging witty banter, and flirting and giggling and shit 

•I want Arya and Gendry to rule in the end

•okay seriously, everyone is exchanging witty banter in every scene 

•sansa rebelling against danny's mere presence is contrived and dumb 

•the show is slackiiiing

•the scene between sam and dany was good; the guy who plays sam is a good actor 

•whoa, hadn't thought about dany not telling jon about killing sam's family

•"you gave up your crown to save your people; would she do the same?" daaamn, got em coach.

•dead kid waking up was gnarly

•jamie sees bran! daaammmnnnn

thoughts: first 2/3 of the episode was hokey and stupid and indicative of the inferior writing during the latter seasons. the final third of the episode saved it. more of what made GoT great (great storytelling, subtlety, and that signature HBO sense of realism that separates it from network TV/movies).

overall episode score: 4.3 

it's a fair score. this episode is not worth watching again, and especially disappointing considering how little time we have left to wrap up these stories. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

My thoughts on the show, in chronological order:

•drama between Stark girls and Dany is contrived 

•"why don't you just get it over with and kill me?" is stupid, lazy writing, how many times can different prisoners say this?

•Euron Grayjoy is cartoonish and annoying 

•I don't buy Bronn killing the Lannisters for one second 

-also, his four-way had to be interrupted to tell him that? really? just had to interrupt the four way to tell him that he might have to kill two people at some undetermined point in the future? 

•So far this episode, like much of the latter seasons, is poorly written and uncompelling; contrived, overly dramatic, overly theatrical 

•this dragon riding scene feels like it was made by Disney, and i don't mean that in no nice way

•all of the jon and dany stuff to this point is lame. there's more important shit to be done than there is time, and these two are frolicking around, exchanging witty banter, and flirting and giggling and shit 

•I want Arya and Gendry to rule in the end

•okay seriously, everyone is exchanging witty banter in every scene 

•sansa rebelling against danny's mere presence is contrived and dumb 

•the show is slackiiiing

•the scene between sam and dany was good; the guy who plays sam is a good actor 

•whoa, hadn't thought about dany not telling jon about killing sam's family

•"you gave up your crown to save your people; would she do the same?" daaamn, got em coach.

•dead kid waking up was gnarly

•jamie sees bran! daaammmnnnn

thoughts: first 2/3 of the episode was hokey and stupid and indicative of the inferior writing during the latter seasons. the final third of the episode saved it. more of what made GoT great (great storytelling, subtlety, and that signature HBO sense of realism that separates it from network TV/movies).

overall episode score: 4.3 

it's a fair score. this episode is not worth watching again, and especially disappointing considering how little time we have left to wrap up these stories. 

Fuck off cunt

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Actually with opening and end credits it was right around 54 min.  Of course I have no idea if if those other runtimes are accurate though.

Yeah, HBO Now had the total runtime at 63 minutes. I paused it when the ending credits ran, and it was at 54 minutes and change. The rest was the preview for episode 2, trailer for Chernobyl, and Inside The Episode. 

The fuck is wrong with Derka? This was no top 10 episode for sure. But as a premier? It stacks up very well.

And yeah they’re might have been some hokey lines but the agitation between Sansa and Dany is NOT contrived. It makes perfect sense as Sansa feels the same way the Entire North does. Jon was crowned king and gave it away to her.

Also my ONLY complaint was no fucking Ghost. Where’s that pump ass wolf hiding now?

everyone's up in arms about the 4.3 (a fair score) but there's hardly any chatter about the content of the episode- an episode that was arguably the most highly anticipated single TV episode since Breaking Bad's finale- that should tell you something.

4.3 is a fair score. There's no reason to watch the episode twice. The first 2/3 was as i said very hokey, cartoonish, and contrived, and the final third, while enjoyable, wasn't anything worth giving a hog score to. It was fine, but a couple of "ooh" moments which will no doubt be expounded upon in the next episode. Still, the best scenes of the entire episode would score a solid 6 in my book. Nothing to write home about. The episode was mostly weak and for that it gets a weak score. I'm hoping next week's episode is much better.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread