Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

7 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I’m glad they took care of the Theon/Yara storyline so quickly. But damn they wasted so much time on it last season. 

I agree, I was wondering what happened to her, and if they would bring her back. Although, that rescue mission was a bit too easy to accomplish. So Theon and his crew just ride up in their own boat, board the flagship of the Iron Islands fleet, kill everyone and shove off without anyone noticing? That's a bit of a stretch.

Are they really just going to walk in to Pike and plop down on the throne? It seems like Euron would get word of their whereabouts and come finish the fight. 

So they are going back to the Iron Islands because... it's home and an island for refuge from zombies? So basically we are foreshadowing a Dunkirk style operation in the future, where the army retreats to the shore and the Ironborn show up with ships to ferry them away from danger? Is that where this is going?

28 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

They did not spend 9 years developing one of the greatest characters in modern television only to have her take a "heel turn."

There will be conflict between her and the north, but a heel turn in the traditional sense?  No. This isnt a soap opera or the WWE. 

You're right. How clueless of me to imagine that Game of Thrones would ever have a character's motivations or general protagonist/antagonist alignment shift over the course of the series. It's never, ever happened before.

Jackass.

Edited by BradInATX

9 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I agree, I was wondering what happened to her, and if they would bring her back. Although, that rescue mission was a bit too easy to accomplish. So Theon and his crew just ride up in their own boat, board the flagship of the Iron Islands fleet, kill everyone and shove off without anyone noticing? That's a bit of a stretch.

Are they really just going to walk in to Pike and plop down on the throne? It seems like Euron would get word of their whereabouts and come finish the fight. 

So they are going back to the Iron Islands because... it's home and an island for refuge from zombies? So basically we are foreshadowing a Dunkirk style operation in the future, where the army retreats to the shore and the Ironborn show up with ships to ferry them away from danger? Is that where this is going?

Yeah the Theon/Yara storyline was handled very clumsily.

Something else that bothered me - Bran is all "We don't have time for this the Wall has fallen", then proceeds to spend the rest of the episode "waiting for an old friend".  In the meantime no one else seems very concerned with the army of the dead's whereabouts.  

Just now, elguapo said:

Yeah the Theon/Yara storyline was handled very clumsily.

Something else that bothered me - Bran is all "We don't have time for this the Wall has fallen", then proceeds to spend the rest of the episode "waiting for an old friend".  In the meantime no one else seems very concerned with the army of the dead's whereabouts.  

They have a hard enough time tracking living armies; one that doesn’t stop to camp/sleep, forage for food, look for local whores/nightlife, or talk would probably be hard to locate until they right up on you.  I would think Jon’s experience as a ranger coupled with his newfound flying ability would inspire him to go looking for the dead army and their heading.  But dany would be reluctant since she saw one of hers already die at their hand.  

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, tough fucking crowd here. I guess I must have gone into the viewing with no earnest expectations other than being entertained. Kind of like when I visit Surly. I read this thread and now I'm like "boy, that was a really terrible fucking show I just watched and enjoyed, how did I miss it?". 

I thought there were many great call backs in this episode that were fun as a fan of the story. I also enjoyed the foreshadowing. I took the riding the dragons scene with the sentiment of the scene in which the guy picks the pterodactyl-like thing in Avatar and thought it was fine accordingly. 

I assume the WW shit ends with the 3rd episode, and the rest is about resolving the bullshit in the south. I actually will be irritated if the WW stuff is core storyline for the entire closing of the show, but that seems really unlikely. No one is going to be compelled by a fight between The Golden Company and an army of zombies as Cersei Lannister looks on. I view that as having virtually 0% chance of occurring. 

Pretty much my thoughts too.

I also like the "show was too slow and methodical(along with a little cheesy at times)" griping after a season full of "they're moving to fast, pacing awful" complaints.

I think it was a perfectly fine premier.  It won't be a Top 20 episode, but it's far from a bad one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They have a hard enough time tracking living armies; one that doesn’t stop to camp/sleep, forage for food, look for local whores/nightlife, or talk would probably be hard to locate until they right up on you.  I would think Jon’s experience as a ranger coupled with his newfound flying ability would inspire him to go looking for the dead army and their heading.  But dany would be reluctant since she saw one of hers already die at their hand.  

They have Radar O'Reilly in fucking Bran.  Would it be too much to ask for him to roll his eyes every twenty minutes to give an update?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

They have Radar O'Reilly in fucking Bran.  Would it be too much to ask for him to roll his eyes every twenty minutes to give an update?

Can he put himself/worg/warg/whatever in the body of a dead person though?  I thought when he saw the Night King and his army at that harbor battle...he was looking through some random soldier there?  I can't remember.  I've only seen the episodes once, and missed a handful over the years.  But yeah, if he can do it...instead of awkward silences and the occasional passive-aggressive line of intel...that would be most helpful since the most experienced tracker/ranger would be hard pressed to find out where they are headed.  They were good enough to leave behind a child to tell their tale but that little fucker would not stop yelling.  

I think it's like a good pilot training course, if she's right next to you up in the air "communing" with the other dragon ...you're okay.  But if she's nowhere to be found or dead, then you can't just hop on and fly.  Of course, Jon is an exception.  But she doesn't know that yet, and if she does...ew...gross.

16 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Bronn is being set up by Cersei. Remember when she found out Jamie met with Tyrion in secret and she asked if he was going to punish Bronn for setting that up behind his back? She hasn't forgotten about that.

she does like wild fire or whatever the explosive pig shit is called.

1 hour ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Is it a known fact that only Targaryans can ride dragons?  If that's the case, why would Dany be trying to talk Jon into riding one, and why would Jon agree to?  At the time they both still thought he was a bastard.

I don’t think the show has ever made this claim.  so I find it peculiar where that idea could’ve entered your head, almost as if you’d read it somewhere.....

• Like 1

I thought the episode was good enough and fit my expectations. Nothing shocking occurred, but there was a lot of setup that needed to happen.

This is the first time that Daenerys has been to Winterfell and there is obviously going to be some drama and a power struggle. It would be more frustrating to watch her waltz in with her dragons, Unsullied, and Dothraki and everyone welcome her with open arms and bend the knee. The North are a proud group of people and their support has always been hard to win, so we needed to see those discussions to some extent.

The dragon riding was meh but it was 2-3 minutes and I won't let one scene ruin an episode for me. They're trying to strengthen Daenerys and Jon's relationship before dropping the bomb on it.

Speaking of which, I'm really glad Sam confronted Jon about him being a Targaryen last night. I hate it when there's a big secret left in limbo for an entire season.

The biggest annoyance I have with Game of Thrones right now is the role of Euron. I complained about this in the previous season, but he seems like a cartoon villain to me. He showed up out of nowhere, killed Balon, chased off Yara, and magically earned the respect of the remaining Ironborn. Yara stole their fleet (along with presumably a large percentage of their men), then Euron gave one of his stupid speeches and motivated his guys to build a new Iron Fleet, seemingly overnight from a land with very few resources. Somehow this guy went from having no ships to having the biggest fleet in the world. Meanwhile, Daenerys needed 6 seasons to get any ships.

I've always referred to the Ironborn as Westeros Aggy and I still think that fits. When Jaime and Cersei were discussing them, Jaime said:

"They're not good at anything. I know the Ironborn and they are bitter, angry little people. All they know how to do is steal things they can't build or grow themselves."

Euron is their Johnny Football and I eagerly await his spectacular demise.

• Like 6

The how to ride your dragon scene would have been better had Dany gotten naked. Also, all those folks saw Jon flying around on the back of a dragon and then go about their business as if it's pretty much normal?

If Dany would ride the dragon naked then at least we would know why she doesn’t fall off....
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The dragonriding get away was the weakest part of the episode.  GOT meets the Bachelorette, the tone of the scene had no place in the episode given what is at stake.  Also if you're going to do that, if you must include it...where is the sex?  Not that anyone should be watching the show for sex or nudity given the Internet but I mean, come on.  Middle of nowhere next to a sweet waterfall, new relationship...they would have banged one out for sure.

Aside from that I thought everything else was...necessary.  I really wonder why the last two seasons got cut down so much.  They are leaving so many potentially great extended scenes completely to the imagination.  I was disappointed in the time they devoted to Arya's reunions with Jon and, especially, the Hound.  He's clearly been off her list for a while.

Regarding what she was requesting from Gendry...there are stills out there and the diagram is very simplistic.  It shows a shaft and a detached spear point labeled dragonglass with an arrow pointing toward the shaft indicating it is supposed to attach...but I think that its perhaps going to detach, as in be some kind of spring loaded point to be used in case of an emergency.  Like when you need to kill an undead dragon maybe.

I expect next week to be more well received as more shit will happen.  If the WW storyline is resolved completely after episode 3 that will surprise me.

The 20-21 months or so between S7 and S8 were brutal.  I am going to miss the shit out of this show in a way that I have never missed any other show that ended.

2 minutes ago, Thujone said:

Looking at Brann always showing up in that wheelchair all over Winterfell, I'm all like is that place ADA accessible?

or he has not moved from that spot when Jon, etc marched to Winterfell till Jaime arrived.  He been waiting for an old friend all that time

Edited by Haphap

33 minutes ago, Haphap said:

or he has not moved from that spot when Jon, etc marched to Winterfell till Jaime arrived.  He been waiting for an old friend all that time

Spoiler alert

Hes still sitting there even though everyone has gone on to do different thingsi n their careers

Looking at Brann always showing up in that wheelchair all over Winterfell, I'm all like is that place ADA accessible?

Damnit Targ-head! Please keep all your previous administration and Westrosi Disability Act comments in the Cape Vestibule forum.

If you want to have a combat by trial or dialogue about how it affects the 1% of castle and hold private property owners and middle merchants and craftsmen households that’s the place.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Throughout the telling of the story, obvious shit has typically won out. Jon Snow being the child of Stark/Targ love tryst, for example. All kinds of crazy other shit was suspected and written about, but the simple answer won. Over and over again. 

She's not burning the fucking north to the ground because they don't like her or won't bend the knee. That also doesn't make her the Mad King. Rob Stark beheaded his most powerful northern ally besides Bolton and that failed to make him an insane lunatic that traded everything we'd seen from him into a Cersei Lannister clone. Dany Targaryan is prone to using force when it suits her pursuits and she feels threatened. That will shine through again. That doesn't lead her to burning down half of the continents villages and blowing up major strongholds with wildfire or dragon fire. 

Give me a fucking break.

username checks out

No way Jamie gets sentenced to death. They need every able bodied fighter they can get. However, IF he is then Tyrion will have to repay the favor and help him escape

But what’s the point of a trial anyways? Can’t they just ask Bran about the details of any occurrence ever??

56 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

I hope the producers have some Rick Barnes cameos planned if they hope to up their Derka scores...

I mean it would certainly help. Plus, nothing says, "if you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention" like Rick Barnes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Euron is Kenny Powers.

was euron ever the best in the world at what he does?  at least kenny saw the top of the mountain. 

15 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

No way Jamie gets sentenced to death. 

I’ll be shocked if bran even cares.  resentment is a human emotion and bran’s quite above all that now.  bran is waiting for jaime in the courtyard because he knows something about his future and he knows jaime will be needed to prevent total annihilation at the hands of the night king.

7 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

how does betting on something like this exist?  it’s predetermined.  what keeps an actor on the show from calling some old high school buddy and saying “hey you wanna make an easy two grand?”

and I know they probably signed NDAs but that wouldn’t mean a lick of shit in this scenario. 

Edited by futureman

how does betting on something like this exist?  it’s predetermined.  what keeps an actor on the show from calling some old high school buddy and saying “hey you wanna make an easy two grand?”
and I know they probably signed NDAs but that wouldn’t mean a lick of shit in this scenario. 
I have always thought this too when I saw the odds

1 hour ago, futureman said:

The max bet on these types of prop bets is usually a few hundred bucks. I assume that barely registers and if it does they can move lines around as needed. 

Edited by BradInATX

I'm in the "watch for entertainment" camp and don't get all twisted up in the details, but watching the mining of dragon glass vexed me.

Why aren't they getting their hands on wild fire?

Problem with fighting the dead hand to hand is if one of yours dies, he gets resurrected as an enemy.   Assuming the numbers are even, which I don't think they are, you'd have to kill theirs on a pretty high ratio to not have the dead army replenished continuously.  Not ideal.

So we have a baker's dozen of White Walkers and approximately a shitload of dead soldier skeletons.  Great, make some dragon glass weapons to fight when need be, but goddamn, someone from KL with knowledge of past events should be smuggling whatever wild fire is left over, or trying to recreate it.  Blast those skeletons from a distance and limit the hand to hand combat.  And no need to risk the loss of another dragon.

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread