Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Right but Cersei has to know that.  She has another angle.  

Yeah, neither have any reason to trust each other.  Bronn knows she won't be holding up her end of the deal regardless, and she knows he's not going to just ride to Winterfell and kill her brothers.  I don't know if part of some grand scheme or the writers just lazily getting Bronn to Winterfell.

10 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Season three I'd say there was an elaborate plan.  Now I think it's just lazy writing.

Yeah it's hard to tell past couple seasons, sometimes the show writers just have characters do nonsensical things to get them where they need to be.

I think Cersei may have something up her sleeve because in this situation it would be incredibly lazy writing considering Bronn's history with Jamie/Tyrion, but won't be surprised either way.

Edited by elguapo

5 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Regarding Cersei’s pregnancy, they are gonna have to slow the pace down quite a bit if there is going to be time for the pregnancy to run its course.

they will simply use the same time continuum for cersei's pregnancy that they use for people to travel from kings landing to winterfell...that is somewhere between 80mph and the speed of sound...

Edited by Mileslong

On 4/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, wild_turkey said:

30 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Yeah it's hard to tell past couple seasons, sometimes the show writers just have characters do nonsensical things to get them where they need to be.

I think Cersei may have something up her sleeve because in this situation it would be incredibly lazy writing considering Bronn's history with Jamie/Tyrion, but won't be surprised either way.

Bron still has the "I'll double it" offer from Tyrion on the table.  It would be a natural move to take Cerise's gold and then ride north and ask Jamie/Tyrion to double it.  Several wagons of gold would go a long way.

Maybe Bronn leaves because he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.  He probably dies by Cersei if he says no, so he can't stay.  So he might as well high tail it out of there and go hunt some northern strange.

Agree that it was a random and nonsensical scene when he stopped what (or who) he was doing to listen to the creepy old hand tell him to kill his buddy.

15 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Bron still has the "I'll double it" offer from Tyrion on the table.  It would be a natural move to take Cerise's gold and then ride north and ask Jamie/Tyrion to double it.  Several wagons of gold would go a long way.

I don't disagree with Bronn's reason for accepting, but surely Cersei knows better than to trust Bronn will go through with it.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm in the lazy writing camp.  Just a way to get Bronn up to Winterfell and fighting with his bros and throwing down some funny one liners. 

Right.  Smart writing would have this be a curve-ball where Cersei is setting Bronn up for some reason, but I agree this is probably right.   And if so, they should have just had him leave at the end of the last season with Jaime saying something like "I have nothing else better to do".   Cersei has played the game pretty smart the last couple of seasons so it's just not realistic she would actually believe Bron would follow through with it.

I don't know that Cersei is playing smart.  Her methods have been effective, but brute forcing it and blowing up all your enemies with wildfire isn't necessarily clever tactics.  It's more like she's just realized she has no family left, and doesn't GAF, and is taking huge risks.  With her current approach, she's not any more likely to hold the throne than the Mad King was when he started burning up everyone around him.  As it turns out, eventually people just get tired of being lit on fire.

But believing she's some scheming mastermind doesn't correspond with her history.  And so thinking she's got some clever plan with respect to Bronn is inconsistent.  

But, that's probably exactly why it'll end up being a clever plan.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thought I’d let you all know that yesterday I decided to begin watching this show. Got through the first 3 eps.  Should take me about a month to catch up. Remembering all the names, other than Jon snow, will be the biggest hiccup. 

Watching with subtitles helps. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Thought I’d let you all know that yesterday I decided to begin watching this show. Got through the first 3 eps.  Should take me about a month to catch up. Remembering all the names, other than Jon snow, will be the biggest hiccup. 

I’m jealous that you get to experience it all for the first time. 

19 hours ago, bolverk said:

I'm pretty sure it's open to interpretation. Having spent so much time on the road with him, she develops a sort of fondness for him in spite of her original intentions to kill him. Or, at least, that's the way I see it.

I think she left him for dead and that was her making peace with her list.  He survived so now he is off the list, she did her part

28 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I think she left him for dead and that was her making peace with her list.  He survived so now he is off the list, she did her part

if arya kills the hound I’ll eat a bowl of shit.  fucking unbelievable that people think she still wants to kill him.  as if they stopped watching the show after she put him on the list. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i never thought for a second he was being setup. i think he'll walk right up to jamie and tyrion in winterfell and tell them instantly what cersei asked him to do.

That's too easy. I think Bronn will come up behind Jaime, put a knife to his throat and teach him a lesson. Then he'll spill the beans.

6 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Right but Cersei has to know that.  She has another angle.  

She could be setting up Bronn - trying to drive a wedge. She may find a way to convince Jaime that Bronn is going to kill him - have some whore confess it (and that Bronn will claim if caught that Cercei paid him to do it). So their trust evaporates and Jaime kills Bronn after a memorable fight scene, then learns the truth. The straw that breaks the camel's back. Time to kill little Sis.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

9 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

She could be setting up Bronn - trying to drive a wedge. She may find a way to convince Jaime that Bronn is going to kill him - have some whore confess it (and that Bronn will claim if caught that Cercei paid him to do it). So their trust evaporates and Jaime kills Bronn after a memorable fight scene, then learns the truth. The straw that breaks the camel's back. Time to kill little Sis.

I don't think Jaime can take Bronn in a fight.

5 hours ago, longhrnfan said:

I hope we get Hound v. Mountain, and then out of nowhere Arya comes and behinds the hound upon his victory. 

I just get this feeling that it's Jon and the Mountain squaring off. The Mountain will have his fingers over Jon's eyes when a blade pierces his heart. They can't kill off the hound, however, because they need him for next season's offshoot (IMHO). (He's the most interesting character of the lot.) John will probably also get the Night King, but could be Arya taking him down. Brienne's gotta kill somebody.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I don't think Jaime can take Bronn in a fight.

That's where the GRRM twists come in. A quirk of fate. The underdog prevails. Remember Bronn trying to teach Jaime how to fight with one hand? Irony. Then he discovers that he killed the guy who was telling him the truth.

18 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

....Ned beheaded a young person for running from the dead

The old bag killed Joffrey

the man with no face killed either super dike or Arya depending on who won the fight after he ordered the attempt on Arya

It’s just the business of survival.  Sometimes you have to kill a kid.

You mean Diana Rigg? Emma Peale of the Avengers.

280full.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yup.  I remember those days.

Back when GOT first aired, HBO put up a "Viewer's Guide" where it showed the connections with various characters/houses/etc.  It was extremely helpful in figuring out what the hell just happened/who the hell just got killed/what was that person so bent at that other person/etc., after each show aired.

The fun thing is going back and watching the first few seasons after you are well into the show and know all of the characters/houses/etc.  It's crazy how "fully formed" everything was from the very start.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

if arya kills the hound I’ll eat a bowl of shit.  fucking unbelievable that people think she still wants to kill him.  as if they stopped watching the show after she put him on the list. 

QUOTED!!

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s lazy. I think they are really trying. They just aren’t that good at it. Turns out GRRM is pretty good at it I guess.

Yeah, what’s sad is it doesn’t take a lot of writing talent for Jaime to hook up Bronn on his way out of Kings Landing last season.

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

On a thread absolutely loaded with laughable and absurdly stupid takes, this may be the hawtest take of them all. It’s spectacular. 

I watch every episode, and still wish they'd make Pod and Gendry wear nametags.

On 4/16/2019 at 9:49 PM, Not a cat said:

Bronn's a pretty loyal guy, I think the only thing that could get him to betray Jamie or Tyrion is pussy.  He only cares about gold to the extent it can buy him his one true love.

I would just note this exchange Bronn and Jamie had last season

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread