Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

10 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

She was at Dragon Stone last time she appeared.  She has to stick around to resurrect Jon the next time he gets killed.  Too much of that gets old, but they have made it a point that that One-eyed Willie has been brought back several times, and she explicitly told Jon that she would have to try, even though he asked her to not do so.  Of course that was before the Battle of the Bastards and her being told to leave Winterfell and never come back.

Melisandre was leaving for Volantis last we saw her.  Varys told her to stay away that he didn't think it would be safe for her to come back and she told Varys "I have to die in this strange country, just like you."

Edited by elguapo

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They put the dismembered horses into a design at the The Fist, they put wildlings in a design in the pilot episode, they were at the tree where the Night King was created in the snow when the NK touched Bran in Bran's vision that drew them to the Hodor moment, then the scene last night, and also the wall drawings that you allude to, at a minimum.

For all we really know, the NK can talk, given he was an adult human, likely a Stark, before being turned. They also allude to the symbols visually in the Mhysa/Meesa/whatever scene when Dany is crowded by freed slaves, and they do it again when Jon Snow is crowded during the Battle of the Bastards. For sure the signs mean something, although I don't know if it will ever be explained. 

Maybe we get a moment where the Night King pulls Bran into a hidden room and explains to him that he's The Architect and all of this is just a MMO being played by users elsewhere. Maybe Jon Snow is Neo. Or Jesus Christ.

Time is a flat circlegiphy.gif

11 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Melisandre was leaving for Volantis last we saw her.  Varys told her to stay away that he didn't think it would be safe for her to come back and she told Varys "I have to die in this strange country, just like you."

right.  so when does she show up? 

Loved the use of "King's Arrival" music for the opening scene with Jon, Dany and the Unsullied arriving to Winterfell.  That music cue was previously used in the pilot for Robert's arrival (and snippets here or there in other seasons).

Edited by LonghornSean

I don't see how the Bron assassination contract is anything other than a trap or a ploy by Cersie. She can't possibly expect him to kill those two, after he's been buddies with them the entire show. I just can't think of a way it benefits her to send him off with a bunch of gold. Is the gold booby trapped? Does she just want him gone from the castle and up north where he may die to the zombies?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Possibly because Bran=Night King and wants division.

Even if this were true, current Bran doesn’t know he becomes the Night King, so not likely.

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Am I the only one who thinks Dany survives and Jon dies?

Why? Dany is pregnant with Jon's baby, an heir to the throne. She can't give birth if she is dead. How do I know she is pregnant? She mentioned she can't have kids and The dragons were here kids in the scene on the boat. She again mentioned the kids thing at King's Landing to Jon,. who said maybe the witch wasn't reliable information. So that's two scenes they have metioned the kid thing. And then we saw them have sex. They are definitley laying the groundwork for her being pregnant with Jon's baby. 

Which is kind of cool if you think about right now, the two main female protoganists are pregnant with a child, impregnanted by someone they are blood related to. 

My bet is Jon survives, but I could also see both he and Dany dying. I think the chances of Dany living are very, very slim. I expect Jon will be forced to kill her when she’s about to blowtorch every person in the Seven kingdoms who refuses to bend the knee after the WWs are taken care of. The whole Sam thing this episode is laying the groundwork for Jon’s internal conflict of love for Dany/choosing what he wants for himself versus his sense of what is right/ what is best for the realm, just like how he chose protecting humanity over being the Lord commander and King in the North.

Edited by Burt Macklin

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

My thoughts on the show, in chronological order:

•drama between Stark girls and Dany is contrived 

•"why don't you just get it over with and kill me?" is stupid, lazy writing, how many times can different prisoners say this?

•Euron Grayjoy is cartoonish and annoying 

•I don't buy Bronn killing the Lannisters for one second 

-also, his four-way had to be interrupted to tell him that? really? just had to interrupt the four way to tell him that he might have to kill two people at some undetermined point in the future? 

•So far this episode, like much of the latter seasons, is poorly written and uncompelling; contrived, overly dramatic, overly theatrical 

•this dragon riding scene feels like it was made by Disney, and i don't mean that in no nice way

•all of the jon and dany stuff to this point is lame. there's more important shit to be done than there is time, and these two are frolicking around, exchanging witty banter, and flirting and giggling and shit 

•I want Arya and Gendry to rule in the end

•okay seriously, everyone is exchanging witty banter in every scene 

•sansa rebelling against danny's mere presence is contrived and dumb 

•the show is slackiiiing

•the scene between sam and dany was good; the guy who plays sam is a good actor 

•whoa, hadn't thought about dany not telling jon about killing sam's family

•"you gave up your crown to save your people; would she do the same?" daaamn, got em coach.

•dead kid waking up was gnarly

•jamie sees bran! daaammmnnnn

thoughts: first 2/3 of the episode was hokey and stupid and indicative of the inferior writing during the latter seasons. the final third of the episode saved it. more of what made GoT great (great storytelling, subtlety, and that signature HBO sense of realism that separates it from network TV/movies).

overall episode score: 4.3 

it's a fair score. this episode is not worth watching again, and especially disappointing considering how little time we have left to wrap up these stories. 

Maybe you're approaching this show like a 17 year old with his first reliable piece of ass: attacking it with everything you've got trying to get your nut because you know this isn't gonna last and you want to beat every bit of pleasure out of it right goddamn now. 

That's one way to do it, but you're missing a lot of things that are just as enjoyable along the way.

I'll agree that the episode was kind of clumsy. Maybe it's because GRRM hasn't made the source material yet. I think it's because they're trying to do to much. They want to show us battles and resolve every loose end, which is a monumental task for one season, and some of the subtext is getting cut.

And this is where your imagination needs to come in and flesh out the stories for yourself. 

Dany has lived her adult life under the assumption that she was destined to rule Westeros and she's suffered unimaginable things to get to where she's at right now, only to meet some sneering northern girl and her weird little sister with the blank stare. Dany loves Jon, but her eyes are on winning and becoming a great queen. But Jon's family is weird AF, and she doesn't even know the biggest news out there yet. I was okay with the dragon riding because this isn't just a story about war and treachery. It's also a story about love. Jon and Dany have found it, and if life was fair they would be able to enjoy it. That moment on the dragons may be the last they get and I think it was meant to give them a moment for that very reason. How is the audience supposed to know they are in love if we never see it?

Likewise, Sansa is an ambitious bitch. She's endured unimaginable horrors to get to where she is only to find a sister that half wants to kill her, one brother that can't rule, and another that doesn't really want to and is also a bit of a fool. So she thinks she's the only one able to lead effectively and will need to save everyone from themselves and each other. In comes Dany and it's just one more problem.

I'm not excusing the writing. They could do better. But like I said they're trying to do a lot. If you want to enjoy this season you're going to have to think about what's going on rather than just expecting it to be handed to you like it was in previous seasons.

• Like 2

I’m predicting Arya disguises herself as Littlefinger and kills Cersei.  

I rewatched last season’s finale and saw how Arya slit Littlefinger’s throat, leaving the face intact.  

Cersei is still on Arya’s list.  Cersei would speak with Littlefinger since he’s a conniving bitch who could claim to have insight into what’s happening in the north.  Presumably nobody in King’s Landing knows Littlefinger is dead.  And Aidan Gillen is too good of an actor not to have come back.

Arya has to be the one to kill Cersei.  And I think that’s how she’ll do it.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Soon? I think Varys and her have a role in defeating the NK.

Yes. She seems to have a good understanding that her life (no idea how old she is except she is old) is leading up to defeating the NK.  I don't know if we will see her around Jon, Brienne or Davos. She will have to skirt around out of their sight. Gotta wonder if she and Beric join up.

18 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I rewatched last season’s finale and saw how Arya slit Littlefinger’s throat, leaving the face intact.  

Cersei is still on Arya’s list.  Cersei would speak with Littlefinger since he’s a conniving bitch who could claim to have insight into what’s happening in the north.  Presumably nobody in King’s Landing knows Littlefinger is dead.  And Aidan Gillen is too good of an actor not to have come back.

That's a good theory, but I would have to think of all the people in that room at Winterfell...somebody would casually mention it outside that room and then to somebody else and so on, until it reached either some member of the network of a Whispers/Birds guys back in King's Landing.  It was sort of an official "trial" based on the vibe and number of prominent people in that room.  So I think word would spread rather quickly, if quite casually.  The Knighs of the Vale in particular may be interested to learn of that fact given his relationship with them.  

There's so many people that deserve to get to kill Cersei, but I think in a stroke of poetic justice...Tyrion walks in on her during labor and between her rage for contempt for him and the complications from delivery, she dies just then.  Not with the bang, but with the whimper of a new baby Lannister.  

10 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I would find it hard to believe that word of Littlefinger's death hasn't made it to King's Landing, but it's not the most unbelievable scenario.  Another possibility would be to use Jamie's face.  I think that would be more fitting.

• Like 1

Dany's attitude and general everything this episode have to be foreshadowing a heel turn, right? To me this is the least likable she's been since the beginning. It's either intentional or really poor writing, and you have to figure they've screen tested it and reviewed it. I don't see any way they let this get to air in the form it was in if they want Dany to be the main protagonist. Unless the "bittersweet" ending is that she kills Cersei, saves everyone from the zombies, then turns into another asshole ruler. 

Just now, BradInATX said:

Dany's attitude and general everything this episode have to be foreshadowing a heel turn, right? To me this is the least likable she's been since the beginning. It's either intentional or really poor writing, and you have to figure they've screen tested it and reviewed it. I don't see any way they let this get to air in the form it was in if they want Dany to be the main protagonist. Unless the "bittersweet" ending is that she kills Cersei, saves everyone from the zombies, then turns into another asshole ruler. 

I think you aren't giving her past deeds enough credit.  She has been very hard to like on numerous occasions.  Her internal struggle between wanting to leave the world a better place versus her ambition for ruling Westeros is what makes her such a great character.  Sometimes those two things are in alignment, sometimes they aren't. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I would find it hard to believe that word of Littlefinger's death hasn't made it to King's Landing, but it's not the most unbelievable scenario.  Another possibility would be to use Jamie's face.  I think that would be more fitting.

It would fulfill Maggie’s prophecy 

4 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I think you aren't giving her past deeds enough credit.  She has been very hard to like on numerous occasions.  Her internal struggle between wanting to leave the world a better place versus her ambition for ruling Westeros is what makes her such a great character.  Sometimes those two things are in alignment, sometimes they aren't. 

Yeah, I mean I get that, that's sort of her entire character. But this last episode, and for most of last season, she's drifted over to the "ambition/power" side of things from the "good intentions" side. My point was that this has to be intentional and that she's going to slip almost fully to the "dark side" this season. If not, it's probably poor writing. 

Just now, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I mean I get that, that's sort of her entire character. But this last episode, and for most of last season, she's drifted over to the "ambition/power" side of things from the "good intentions" side. My point was that this has to be intentional and that she's going to slip almost fully to the "dark side" this season. If not, it's probably poor writing. 

I think it would be a break of character for her to go to the dark side, and would be disappointed it it goes that way for her.  The only way I could see it happening is if she stops listening to reason and loses all ability to read people and to trust those who have been loyal to her.  In other words, she will have to become the Mad Queen.  I could see that happening, but I would not be happy about it...knowing full well that a happy ending isn't likely. 

9 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I think it would be a break of character for her to go to the dark side, and would be disappointed it it goes that way for her.  The only way I could see it happening is if she stops listening to reason and loses all ability to read people and to trust those who have been loyal to her.  In other words, she will have to become the Mad Queen.  I could see that happening, but I would not be happy about it...knowing full well that a happy ending isn't likely. 

She could explode once she learns that Cersei isn’t sending many troops.  

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Holy fuck. The nerd idiocy here sometimes is stunning. Bran isn't becoming the fucking Night King. Dany Targaryan isn't going to become the Mad Queen. Just fucking stupid.  I don't know shit about shit but I'm CTJ so all your theories are stupid.

fifCTJ

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Holy fuck. The nerd idiocy here sometimes is stunning. Bran isn't becoming the fucking Night King. Dany Targaryan isn't going to become the Mad Queen. Just fucking stupid.

Riding into Wintefell, she was upset the northern folk weren't welcoming her.  When her dragons flew in and the people ran scared, she got very smug.  If they won't kneel, she'll burn them.  They're going to defeat the White Walkers most likely, and then after if the northern folk don't bend their knees, she'll prepare to burn all of them.  Jon will probably have to decide to kill her or not.

Her becoming the Mad Queen is definitely on the table and they're telegraphing it hard.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TriStone said:

fifCTJ

You have not a single fucking thing to indicate that either of those dumb ass fanfic bullshit points has a shred of hope of coming to fruition. I don't know if I know much else, but I've watched the series twice and read the books, and I don't see either point having any substance besides what the dorks purport on the fanboi sites and this thread.

If you're a proponent of either position, I'm fine calling it a day on the subject and agreeing with you that one of us doesn't have a fucking clue. We could escalate it though and have a bet. Tell me what you'd like to risk, and I'll go there with you on it - $$$, leaving the site for good, writing paeans to the board in the other poster's honor, whatever you'd like. 

I am happy with episode other than it being a bit slow until Old Hearth.  

The Dany/North tension is real and if you think it isn’t earned, I guess you haven’t been paying attention the last 8 years.   I hate unneeded conflict as much as the next guy (Arya/Sansa last season was eye-rolling), but Dany represents the Mad King and Tyrion represents the Lion to all the northerners. Outside of those who have actually seen and fought the dead, those prejudices are hard to overcome.  

And what I really hate is when people in shows simply don’t talk, creating fake tension   So imo it was a load off that Sam told John his history.  There was no need for that to be held back for multiple episodes.   Now, when and how to tell others is an actual difficult decision  

I don’t think Dany turns full heel.  I think there is conflict though where two people’s sense of what is right are directly at odds.  Like when two reasonably well intentioned immortals from Highlander have to fight.   That will be hard to pull off though without making one person clearly the bad guy.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Arya is going to stab Cersei right in the babby like they did to Robb's wife. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Riding into Wintefell, she was upset the northern folk weren't welcoming her.  When her dragons flew in and the people ran scared, she got very smug.  If they won't kneel, she'll burn them.  They're going to defeat the White Walkers most likely, and then after if the northern folk don't bend their knees, she'll prepare to burn all of them.  Jon will probably have to decide to kill her or not.

Her becoming the Mad Queen is definitely on the table and they're telegraphing it hard.  

Throughout the telling of the story, obvious shit has typically won out. Jon Snow being the child of Stark/Targ love tryst, for example. All kinds of crazy other shit was suspected and written about, but the simple answer won. Over and over again. 

She's not burning the fucking north to the ground because they don't like her or won't bend the knee. That also doesn't make her the Mad King. Rob Stark beheaded his most powerful northern ally besides Bolton and that failed to make him an insane lunatic that traded everything we'd seen from him into a Cersei Lannister clone. Dany Targaryan is prone to using force when it suits her pursuits and she feels threatened. That will shine through again. That doesn't lead her to burning down half of the continents villages and blowing up major strongholds with wildfire or dragon fire. 

Give me a fucking break.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You have not a single fucking thing to indicate that either of those dumb ass fanfic bullshit points has a shred of hope of coming to fruition. I don't know if I know much else, but I've watched the series twice and read the books, and I don't see either point having any substance besides what the dorks purport on the fanboi sites and this thread.

If you're a proponent of either position, I'm fine calling it a day on the subject and agreeing with you that one of us doesn't have a fucking clue. We could escalate it though and have a bet. Tell me what you'd like to risk, and I'll go there with you on it - $$$, leaving the site for good, writing paeans to the board in the other poster's honor, whatever you'd like. 

I agree that most of these theories are stupid.  I was just fucking with you for fun.  Although the "Dany becomes the Mad Queen" theory isn't that implausible.  Even the Mad King was just The King until he went insane.  You never know when the incest-crazy bomb will go off.

Edited by TriStone

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Dany's attitude and general everything this episode have to be foreshadowing a heel turn, right? 

They did not spend 9 years developing one of the greatest characters in modern television only to have her take a "heel turn."

There will be conflict between her and the north, but a heel turn in the traditional sense?  No. This isnt a soap opera or the WWE. 

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread