Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

They should have saved the dragon riding scene for some sort of mid battle dramatic event. Like Dany gets hurt somehow and Jon has no choice to throw her on the back of a dragon and try and ride off with her, while fearing that the dragon won't let him because he isn't a Targaryen or something. Then Sam could have revealed to Jon his true heritage.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Bran was adamant that Jon needed to know right now.  Why?  How does it help in the Great War?  It could conceivably unite all of the armies at their disposal, but they pretty much already are, or they wouldn't all be in WInterfell to fight the common foe.  It adds unnecessary friction at a time when it could do more harm than good.   

Possibly because Bran=Night King and wants division.

1 minute ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Possibly because Bran=Night King and wants division.

I'm sure that's a popular theory in some special corner of the internet, but nothing at all points to that.  Even if it were possible to to reconcile all the inconsistencies with it, there are a million other things Bran would be doing to ensure that the Army of the Dead wins if this were the case. 

Everyone looks at bran like he knows that they pick their nose when no one is looking.

im still uncertain why it took Sam to inform Bran that Jon’s parents were actually married. Was it just to allow it to be explained to the audience or does bran really have gaps in his knowledge?  Why didn’t bran see that scene before Sam told him.

I was disappointed in no Bran warg dreams. It was a decent premiere episode but I expected things to move faster with only 5 left. Jon dragon riding reveal was handled terribly, the show writers continue to struggle without source material to work off of.

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

im still uncertain why it took Sam to inform Bran that Jon’s parents were actually married. Was it just to allow it to be explained to the audience or does bran really have gaps in his knowledge?  Why didn’t bran see that scene before Sam told him.

My understanding is that Bran still has major gaps in his knowledge. He said something last season about needing to get better at seeing things.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Everyone looks at bran like he knows that they pick their nose when no one is looking.

Some weird ‘Bran knows it but he doesn’t know he knows it’ shit.   He’s still getting better at harnessing that power.  That’s the explanation I got.  Seems plausible.  

But this is fantasy so you can give anything a pass.  Or you can be like some people who can’t enjoy shit bc they need an explanation for every tiny detail.   Definitely not saying that’s you, but those people are out there/here.  

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Based on what we have seen, my understanding is that Bran is not omniscient.  He can go back and look at events that have happened, but until he does, he does not know of the details or is even aware of them.  That takes time, and there are only so many hours in a day, so he has to be selective about it.  Also, I don't know how the indexing works, but he's obviously able to look in on past events if he knows when/where they were.  He was able to get all the dirt on Littlefinger, but that may have taken him weeks.  I doubt the ability has a search feature..."show me all events where Littlefinger did bad shit."

Edited by idigTexas

Am I the only one who thinks Dany survives and Jon dies?

Why? Dany is pregnant with Jon's baby, an heir to the throne. She can't give birth if she is dead. How do I know she is pregnant? She mentioned she can't have kids and The dragons were here kids in the scene on the boat. She again mentioned the kids thing at King's Landing to Jon,. who said maybe the witch wasn't reliable information. So that's two scenes they have metioned the kid thing. And then we saw them have sex. They are definitley laying the groundwork for her being pregnant with Jon's baby. 

Which is kind of cool if you think about right now, the two main female protoganists are pregnant with a child, impregnanted by someone they are blood related to. 

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Why? Dany is pregnant with Jon's baby, an heir to the throne. She can't give birth if she is dead. How do I know she is pregnant? She mentioned she can't have kids and The dragons were here kids in the scene on the boat. She again mentioned the kids thing at King's Landing to Jon,. who said maybe the witch wasn't reliable information. So that's two scenes they have metioned the kid thing. And then we saw them have sex. They are definitley laying the groundwork for her being pregnant with Jon's baby. 

Which is kind of cool if you think about right now, the two main female protoganists are pregnant with a child, impregnanted by someone they are blood related to. 

Yes...you are the only one.

39 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I disagree.  I think there has been too many hints that Dany will have Jon's baby for it to not be true.  I think Jon is more likely to get killed than Dany.  Their baby will be the true heir to the Iron Throne.

I actually agree with Derka for the most part. I get that we need to reset the plot points after such a long layoff. But the Jon/Dany love scene is so ridiculous at this point. So is the "who is the King/Queen" plot point. Can't we just defeat the WWs and sort all that shit out later? WGAS if you are the King if you are dead. Don't mind the 4-way, but that was a lame excuse to cockblock the dude. 

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Some weird ‘Bran knows it but he doesn’t know he knows it’ shit.   He’s still getting better at harnessing that power.  That’s the explanation I got.  Seems plausible.  

But this is fantasy so you can give anything a pass.  Or you can be like some people who can’t enjoy shit bc they need an explanation for every tiny detail.   Definitely not saying that’s you, but those people are out there/here.  

Remember, Bran's training was cut short before the previous Three-Eyed Raven could catch him up to speed.

15 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Who do psychics need doorbells?

2 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I haven't had a chance to rewatch but when Jon and Bran first saw each other Jon said "you're a man", and Bran said "not yet". What did Bran mean? He hasn't got any pussy yet? Jon looked at him all crazy...

I think he said "not quite" but I'd have to rewatch it.

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It is a lot of foreshadowing hearing again and again that dany cant get pregnant.  I imagine that she will get pregnant once the dragons are killed.   

12 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I haven't had a chance to rewatch but when Jon and Bran first saw each other Jon said "you're a man", and Bran said "not yet". What did Bran mean? He hasn't got any pussy yet? Jon looked at him all crazy...

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I think he said "not quite" but I'd have to rewatch it.

It was either "not quite" or "almost" or something in that vein.   What I took it to mean is that Bran no longer sees himself as human, and that Jon's look was one of not knowing what the fuck he meant by that. 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:01 AM, PRONG HORN said:

Just watched.  Yes, the Night King's mark is on Bran now.  Maybe they're connected like Frodo and Sauron.  I guess Bran also learned what can happen when you mess with the past while you're watching it.  Poor Hodor.  Long before it happened, the truth already was.  I wonder if we will get to see Hodor marching with the dead.  

anigif-sub-buzz-30425-1464200887-2.gif

Doubt it, he's busy touring the US DJ'ing.

LOL

44 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Thank god.  Grew tired of hearing “no way they got back to Kong’s landing that quickly “

2 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Anyone else think that the whole thing with the White Walkers will be resolved by the middle of the season?

If the living win, then yes...if the dead are going to win or it is going to be a lose/lose situation, then no.  They will need time to resolve who sits on the Iron Throne, or they wont.

44 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Thank god.  Grew tired of hearing “no way they got back to Kong’s landing that quickly “

40 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

It was either "not quite" or "almost" or something in that vein.   What I took it to mean is that Bran no longer sees himself as human, and that Jon's look was one of not knowing what the fuck he meant by that. 

"Almost" was the line.  I too am stumped on what he meant by that. 

23 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

Anyone else think that the whole thing with the White Walkers will be resolved by the middle of the season?

Yeah, that's where I'm at.  They just have to kill one guy, right?  This shows bread and butter is the family turmoil, backstabbing, and political strife.  I can't see it all ending in one giant battle between living and dead.

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

the 4-way bronn plan scene was odd.  bronn has always been promised things and not gotten them - it's like a running gag - but now he's gonna get chests of gold for eventually killing one of the two people he's given a shit about this series?  naw, bro.  seems like an unlikely plan that's nearly impossible to execute.  unless it's part of a bigger plan.  cersei is really gonna kill the father of her unborn child and the undisputed love of her life?

Hey Bronn, I need you to head up north and hook up with Jaime, Tyrion, and Podrick, basically your three closest friends in the entire world, and then kill two of them.  And since I'm a fucking idiot, here's a couple chests of gold in advance for your troubles.  See ya when you get back!

I just came across a comment elsewhere that there was a fun little Easter Egg in the episode last night that seemed to mention Ed Sheeran's character not doing too well in the battle with the dragon destroying the Lannister army:

"That boy Eddy." "The ginger?" "That's him. Came back with his face burned right off. He's got no eyelids now."

I hope that the dragon riding scene was foreshadowing to something that happens in the future. Where Jon needs the knowledge during battle, etc. Just way too clunky and time consuming when there is so little time left and some much shit that still needs to hit the fan. 

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

The 4-way was just to keep up the show's tradition of nudity since there won't be time for it until the final episode when there's a Westeros-wide orgy in celebration of the victory.

yeah, i liked the orgy scene.  i posted star wars pic above, but I was actually thinking about it after the show.  you just need to have a scene telling him that he's got to go kill Jaime and Tyrian.  you can do it the star wars prequel way (lampooned by redlettermedia) of just having one guy tell another guy while they are walking.  or you can come up with something interesting and tonally correct other thing going on.  i thought the orgy was a good way of doing that.

Boy, tough fucking crowd here. I guess I must have gone into the viewing with no earnest expectations other than being entertained. Kind of like when I visit Surly. I read this thread and now I'm like "boy, that was a really terrible fucking show I just watched and enjoyed, how did I miss it?". 

I thought there were many great call backs in this episode that were fun as a fan of the story. I also enjoyed the foreshadowing. I took the riding the dragons scene with the sentiment of the scene in which the guy picks the pterodactyl-like thing in Avatar and thought it was fine accordingly. 

I assume the WW shit ends with the 3rd episode, and the rest is about resolving the bullshit in the south. I actually will be irritated if the WW stuff is core storyline for the entire closing of the show, but that seems really unlikely. No one is going to be compelled by a fight between The Golden Company and an army of zombies as Cersei Lannister looks on. I view that as having virtually 0% chance of occurring. 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

"Almost" was the line.  I too am stumped on what he meant by that. 

I took it as a reference to his paralysis,  that he's "almost a man" because he can't use his legs. And then we got the Jaime connection later to reinforce it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

per the sign at the end - does the night king really leave signs like that?  i always saw them kind of like zombies. 

the spiral thing was adopted by the night king from the children of the forest that made him.  recall the episode in which bran goes back to see the night king being made at the fist.  the children of the forest had arranged rocks around the tree in the same spiral.  similarly, when jon and dany go to the cave with all the dragonglass that the children of the forest had compiled, there were spiral drawings all over the walls.  it's the second or third time that the night king has arranged body parts in spirals as well.  it's a thing.

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

the spiral thing was adopted by the night king from the children of the forest that made him.  recall the episode in which bran goes back to see the night king being made at the fist.  the children of the forest had arranged rocks around the tree in the same spiral.  similarly, when jon and dany go to the cave with all the dragonglass that the children of the forest had compiled, there were spiral drawings all over the walls.  it's the second or third time that the night king has arranged body parts in spirals as well.  it's a thing.

They put the dismembered horses into a design at the The Fist, they put wildlings in a design in the pilot episode, they were at the tree where the Night King was created in the snow when the NK touched Bran in Bran's vision that drew them to the Hodor moment, then the scene last night, and also the wall drawings that you allude to, at a minimum.

For all we really know, the NK can talk, given he was an adult human, likely a Stark, before being turned. They also allude to the symbols visually in the Mhysa/Meesa/whatever scene when Dany is crowded by freed slaves, and they do it again when Jon Snow is crowded during the Battle of the Bastards. For sure the signs mean something, although I don't know if it will ever be explained. 

Maybe we get a moment where the Night King pulls Bran into a hidden room and explains to him that he's The Architect and all of this is just a MMO being played by users elsewhere. Maybe Jon Snow is Neo. Or Jesus Christ.

She was at Dragon Stone last time she appeared.  She has to stick around to resurrect Jon the next time he gets killed.  Too much of that gets old, but they have made it a point that that One-eyed Willie has been brought back several times, and she explicitly told Jon that she would have to try, even though he asked her to not do so.  Of course that was before the Battle of the Bastards and her being told to leave Winterfell and never come back.

8 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

where is melisandre?

She was at Dragon Stone last time she appeared.  She has to stick around to resurrect Jon the next time he gets killed.  Too much of that gets old, but they have made it a point that that One-eyed Willie has been brought back several times, and she explicitly told Jon that she would have to try, even though he asked her to not do so.  Of course that was before the Battle of the Bastards and her being told to leave Winterfell and never come back.

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

This is what it felt like to me.  "It's cold up here for a southern girl."  "You must keep your queen warm."  wink wink.

anakin.jpg

"I hate snow, it's cold and icy, not like you, you're soft and warm... make out with me in this cave"

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread