Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

Yeah, but you melt enough and the structural integrity of the wall starts to fail and cause it to collapse, so you can't just go with how much energy it would take to melt a hole.

It’s the same ratio as the amount of jet fuel it takes to melt the internal metal structural support of a skyscraper

2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Basic strategy should have to hold with unsullied spears and flank around with Dothraki Calvary. At least, that’s what I do in all Total War games.

Did anyone else think the lighting was too dark? It was hard to tell what was happening sometimes.

Captured the fog of war to a certain degree.  I liked it.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'm confused on the dragons. Was the dragon wrecking shop on Winterfell the original ice dragon? Or one of Jon/Dany's that got killed and turned in the battle? The dragon parts were a little confusing.

99% sure it was the original 

• Like 2

A couple of thoughts...

What came of Arya's special weapon? I thought it was going to play a role in the slaying of the night king. I assume it was just the stick she was battling with, but when she drew it up for Gendry it looked like it had some detachable part to it.

As soon as Melisandre said blue eyes (in repeating her prophecy) you had to know Arya was gonna win.

Before Arya flies in they show one of the white walker generals hair blow... Was that to signify that she was flying by them? And did she literally fly? Because she caught some serious air.

And the big head scratcher was why could the night king raise the dead in the crypts? I thought he only could raise people that he or his zombies killed.

Okay, to those who didn't like it: what were you hoping for that you didn't get?  I'm not trying to be an asshole; I'm honestly curious.

There were several key deaths.  Jorah went out like we knew he would.  Theon got to redeem himself in a blaze of glory.  Lady Mormont died heroically.  We got the dragon aerial battle.  Arya got the ninja kill on the Night King.  The two hottest women on the show, Sansa and Dany are still alive.  The cinemtography, music, and tension were great.  

What did we miss out on?  What would've made you happier?

• Like 7

Yeah it was really dark. Hard to see some things. 

Ice dragon and Johns dragon fought but neither died. NK got knocked off and John got knocked off. I guess Johns dragon survived. He just took a break from the battle. Dany dragon few away to get undead off its wings. 

Ice dragon is dead. 

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Okay, to those who didn't like it: what were you hoping for that you didn't get?  I'm not trying to be an asshole; I'm honestly curious.

There were several key deaths.  Jorah went out like we knew he would.  Theon got to redeem himself in a blaze of glory.  Lady Mormont died heroically.  We got the dragon aerial battle.  Arya got the ninja kill on the Night King.  The two hottest women on the show, Sansa and Dany are still alive.  The cinemtography, music, and tension were great.  

If someone has a problem with that episode, they are just dead inside. 

• Like 3

All of this.

But I bet this is how it’ll go...

Jon or Dany not killing the Night King and instead Arya doing it won’t make sense to some. They’ll feel that the whole Prince who was promised crap meant nothing.

Some will feel it was too much feministic BS having Arya do it(not me BTW).

I’m sure some will say anticlimactic that they went out in one episode.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I was pulling for the night king only because most of the humans were assholes with some bullshit agenda.  We never got to know the real night king, which is unfortunate. 

dumb question amnesty:

What was the NK after?  Killing Bran or manipulating him some way?

it was a little too dark.  it's still light outside here and we had to go to full blackout mode with the windows.

otherwise, the only thing missing was sansa or someone going downstairs and being like, "ok, little update.  things have started, and it is not going great so far."

overall - pretty much all i was expecting and more.  super glad to be done with that storyline with 3 full episodes left.  that's my biggest takeaway moving forward.  they were always my least favorite part of the show (along with bran's bullshit).

well done.

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah it was really dark. Hard to see some things. 

Yes, but the symbolism is important.  You're fighting death.  You can't see it coming for you.

I also loved the Dothraki hoard being cut down in a few seconds and all we saw was torches being extinguished in the distance.  Amazing.

• Like 7

Just now, TexArcher said:

Yes, but the symbolism is important.  You're fighting death.  You can't see it coming for you.

I also loved the Dothraki hoard being cut down in a few seconds and all we saw was torches being extinguished in the distance.  Amazing.

I'm struggling with the Dothraki going down like that.  Why rush to battle and not wait it out for some daylight?

Loved the episode except for lady Mormont dying. Lots of other big characters could have been got and I’d be happy but she was a bad bitch and I’m a bit upset. I’m Sad she gone. ...

The other female characters on the show have their strengths but none of them had the power of an 11/12yr old prepubescent girl with brass balls of steel.. shit I’d say only like Ned or Robb had more charisma than her, and rate Jon just a shade lower than her. Sucks 3 of the 4  most bad ass “I kill for the good of my people no matter what” characters all died...

22 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The defense strategy of Winterfell was retarded (they seemed unprepared, and also had probably 80% of their most important fighters on the front line), much of what happened throughout the episode was telegraphed, and if the NK doesn't take a fucking eternity walking up to Bran all ceremoniously then he wins. End of story. It's a movie trope as old as time- bad guy could have won if he simply didn't inexplicably take his sweet time once victory was within his literal grasp. Also, he's surrounded by a literal army and yet Arya is able to come flying out of nowhere to kill him, totally unabated. It was also poorly lit and featured a bunch of fighting where you really couldn't make out what was happening. Also i could not make any sense of the two dragons, what, i guess, getting lost or something in the beginning? they couldn't turn around or fly higher? I mean I could keep going but everyone here would just lose their shit, insult me, cuss me out, neg bomb me, and then complain about how my combative personality ruins threads.

i watched it with a friend. both of us were nonplussed by most of it due to so many plot holes and the immensely stupid tactics employed by the living. lyanna mormont was awesome, arya killing the NK was a pretty cool scene even if it was 1000000% telegraphed, and i'm excited that we can now return our focus to Kong's Landing. Other than that? Meh. This would rank last out of all of the big battle episodes for me. Too cheesy/predictable/derivative/hollywoodish to compare to previous battles. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Basic strategy should have to hold with unsullied spears and flank around with Dothraki Calvary. At least, that’s what I do in all Total War games.

Did anyone else think the lighting was too dark? It was hard to tell what was happening sometimes.

The lighting was horrible.  I hate when the entire episode is so dark you can’t tell what the hell is going on.

• Like 1

After the torches went out with the Dothraki my wife looked at me and started having an asthma attack because she was so anxious . Had to pause the episode twice because she had to gather herself due to how intense the episode was for her. 

I thought it was awesome. 

• Like 6

... WOW!  don't give a fuck what anyone says.  That was epic. 

Agreed. Just insanely good imo. That being said, the fact that none of the Tier 1 characters died is ridiculous. How did everyone in the crypt not die? Also, Jaime and Brienne were getting their asses kicked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7 minutes ago, llanoflash said:

Gottdam. Saw Endgame this afternoon then this tonight. Helluva day. 

That’s what I’d call a good day. I considered it myself but honestly thought I’d be overwhelmed and couldn’t devote myself to one or the other, props to you...

I liked it fine. But here are some issues:

-Their strategy was suspect to say the least in almost all phases. Everyone should have died. But I get it. Would have liked to have seen a more clever victory and plan.
-Very dark. Can’t see shit, Captain.
-Some fluff zombie chase scenes with Arya.
-Single dudes trying to fight off dozens of zombies circling you is stupid. That was 2/3 of all fight scenes.
-The we’re all about to die but there’s 10 minutes and where the hell is Arya pointed to Arya saving the day at the last minute.

Think it was a great episode. But the battles that are saved at the last minute are played. It was chaos, but not really.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Big D said:

The lighting was horrible.  I hate when the entire episode is so dark you can’t tell what the hell is going on.

They save a ton on special effects when it's dark like that.  If it had been in the light, the scale of the battle would have had to have been much smaller.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

I'm struggling with the Dothraki going down like that.  Why rush to battle and not wait it out for some daylight?

Operation get behind the darkies seems permeate Westerosi military strategy.

But seriously the Dothraki don’t play defense, ever.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Oh, it was horrible strategy.  There should've been a fuck ton more archers to cut down as many as possible from a distance.  The dragons should've been used for the same effect.  And you'd never send your cavalry out there alone.  Etc.

But the Dothraki flames flickering out really racheted up the tension in my book.  Arguably the best army on Earth (the Unsullied would have something to say about that) disappeared in under a minute.  And it was clear that it was hopeless.  But one perfect assassin...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The defense strategy of Winterfell was retarded, much of what happened was telegraphed, and if the NK doesn't take a fucking eternity walking up to Bran all ceremoniously then he wins. It's a movie trope as old as time- bad guy could have won if he simply didn't inexplicably take his sweet time once victory was within his literal grasp. Also, he's surrounded by a literal army and yet Arya is able to come flying out of nowhere to kill him, totally unabated. It was also poorly lit and featured a bunch of fighting where you really couldn't make out what was happening. Also i could not make any sense of the two dragons, what, i guess, getting lost or something in the beginning? they couldn't turn around or fly higher? I mean I could keep going but everyone here would just lose their shit, insult me, cuss me out, neg bomb me, and then complain about how my combative personality ruins threads.

i watched it with a friend. both of us were nonplussed by most of it due to so many plot holes and the immensely stupid tactics employed by the living. lyanna mormont was awesome, arya killing the NK was a pretty cool scene even if it was 1000000% telegraphed, and i'm excited that we can now return our focus to Kong's Landing. Other than that? Meh. This would rank last out of all of the big battle episodes for me. Too cheesy/predictable/derivative/hollywoodish to compare to previous battles. 

I respect your opinion but would not enjoy watching a public show with you... unless we were both hammered enough for me to shout back and not care..

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread