Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jon snow?

speaking of, we saw why the lord of light kept bringing Doric back, but we’ve yet to see why he brought Jon back. 

one of the low points of the series for me.  in a show where significant characters die, i never ever want to think one can be "brought back".  especially since for a long stretch, this was a series based in reality in an imaginary world.  the more it went towards dragons, magic spells, 3-eyed-ravens, and zombies, the lower my interest level went.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

I think we're all just wondering why the fuck you still watch?  It's like going to the dentist every week when you don't have to.

uh, i'm not even close to the only person in this thread who wasn't blown away by last night's episode, nor is there a lack of GoT fans here/everywhere who feel the show has fallen off since seasons 3-4. i'm just the one being singled out for not being blown away. 

ive said my piece and i'm moving on now. no more back and forth on this. 

Edited by Goo Punch

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How would Arya get a WW face?  Those are taken from the dead, and every WW death we’ve seen has them turning to ice or whatever. 

The WW did nothing but walk about and look menacing for the entire series. The dead did all the work. 

Delegate all your work, kill a dragon for sport, , and Raise some people from the dead???

From a leadership perspective, it’s pretty bad ass for him to sit back and watch, yet not even a whisper of insurrection among his charges

Just now, Goo Punch said:

uh, i'm not even close to the only person in this thread who wasn't blown away by last night's episode, nor is there a lack of GoT fans here/everywhere who feel the show has fallen off since seasons 3-4. i'm just the one being singled out for not being blown away. 

Of course you're not. And no, the other miserable fucks are being singled out too.  Why have you stuck around for the last 3-4 seasons though?  Move on if it's so awful. 

After further review...  I think plenty of big characters got got...  It's just that these big characters aren't fan favorites...  Theon?  He has been there from day 1 and getting into the thick of the plot...  Jorra Mormont (sp?) Damned he probably has almost as much screen time as John Snow..  The Red lady?  RIP that fabulous rack.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

The fuck? First off, that sentence on its face is too dumb to give a serious response, and second, the history channel is too busy talking about aliens and showing reality TV to cover any actual history. 

And finally, and i'm gonna *try* to only say this once, but we'll see how this goes:

Shaggy, for years: OTHER PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS DERKA, jesus, can we permaban this fuck already, gah?!?!?!

Also Shaggy, for years: ANYONE WHO DIDNT LIKE THE SAME TV EPISODE AS ME IS WRONG, AND NEEDS TO FUCK OFF AND DIE.

This happens with every major TV show in the internet age. The fanboys refuse to even allow for the idea that the show isn't still at its 100% absolute peak level of greatness, and they butthurtedly attack anyone who says otherwise en masse. This site (or at least it's predecessor) was literally founded so that people could be free to give their actual opinions, regardless of popularity or PC-ness, but a huge portion of the denizens here only like that ideology when it aligns with exactly what they think and feel. Making it to where differing opinions are not allowed is the definition of "Derka'ing" a thread.

Would you shut the fuck up already? Nothing in his post was directed at you, you fucking dolt. Calm the fuck down. Take a break. You fucking ruin everything.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

After further review...  I think plenty of big characters got got...  It's just that these big characters aren't fan favorites...  Theon?  He has been there from day 1 and getting into the thick of the plot...  Jorra Mormont (sp?) Damned he probably has almost as much screen time as John Snow..  The Red lady?  RIP that fabulous rack.

Yeah, plenty of Episode 1 OG characters went down.

I'd like to see a living or dead list of all the named characters in the first episode and when they died.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

The second Snow died everyone predicted his resurrection.  

still died...still shocking

oh and throw Hodor on that list...  that had people crying

The Viper getting WWE'd  ???

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttt   /thewire

Edited by Loco

I had a few issues with it, but overall was an awesome episode that was gripping from start to finish.  A lot of the battle was very disorienting and hard to make sense of, but clearly that's what the director was going for.

The Arya in the library scene didn't really work for me simply because it was so starkly quiet compared to the war happening outside.  Just didn't feel right.

Theon's death would have been more effective for me had he stayed closer to Bran as the NK approached rather than the 50-yard kamikaze charge he made.

Shocked that Greyworm and Brienne are still alive.

I agree with someone else who posted that once the Night King raised the dead, you pretty much knew that he had to be killed for anyone to survive so I was expecting him to get got.  I definitely picked up on Melisandre's mention of blue eyes to Arya, but still had forgotten about her up until the moment she came flying in for the kill and honestly thought for a moment when the NK had her in his grip that she might be in trouble.  Good storytelling there. 

I also do think there's a slight feeling of anti-climax with the instant death of NK and that whole storyline since we didn't get much in terms of explanation, but I feel that's partly because it came with three episodes left.  If the exact same scenario had played out in the final episode I bet some of the folks saying "The NK story was pointless" wouldn't have as much of a problem with it.  But realistically, the showrunners had to level the playing field with Cersei somewhat and the Battle of Winterfell accomplished that, while setting the stage for a more human-based political climax to the series in the final three episodes. I have faith that the show will deliver in that regard.

Edited by LonghornSean

Thought the episode was just ok. Certainly not Helms Deep despite some of the pre-show buildup.

- It was too dark. There is nothing wrong with my TV. The show was too dark.

- Thought the battle strategy was very dumb but you’re so outnumbered that you’re fucked anyway.

- Really disappointed that we didn’t get any fighting from the white walkers at all.

- I thought the ending redeemed the episode from being slightly disappointing.

- Overall I think this battle was not as good at Blackwater or Hardhomme.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Loco said:

well the NK didn't commit suicide...soooo   I'm just glad it wasn't the fat book worm, I'd have turned it off right then.

I hate that Tryion (sp?) went full bitch and hid with the women and children.  That seemed really out of step with his character. imho

Dany made him go down there.  He didn't want to.

14 minutes ago, slorch said:

Delegate all your work, kill a dragon for sport, , and Raise some people from the dead???

From a leadership perspective, it’s pretty bad ass for him to sit back and watch, yet not even a whisper of insurrection among his charges

Not the night king. His “generals.”

2 hours ago, DanRydell said:

The NK being immune to everything but dragon glass, having been created by dragon glass, makes some sense. But why can he also be killed by Valyrian steel? He’s immune to the fire of Valyrian dragons so it’s not simply some Valyrian magic shit.

I believe there is something even more special about Arya's dagger. If I recall correctly, in the episode at the Citadel where Sam learns about dragon glass, you can see an illustration of that very dagger in the book he is reading, under a discussion of dragon glass being incorporated into weapons.

Jon/Night King: "How did you sneak up on me?"

Arya: How did you survive a knife through the heart?

Jon/Night King:  "I didn't..."

it's obvious that the show left the book source material.  writing, dialogue, plot lines have all been weak.  still a tremendous series.  liked the episode from a theatrical standpoint but they've gone hollywood and diverted from much of the book and important shit.

- no background on night king or his motives.  what the fuck?

- too scared to kill off important characters. grrmartin wasn't scared of killing off key people.  show creators are.

- the whole azor ahai prophecy went to shit.  seriously, what the fuck?

- in the series, bran has become a useless shithead who does absolutely nothing to advance the show's plotlines.  no way he's this useless in the books to come.

i guess we'll have to wait for grrmartin to finish his books to get basic questions answered.

• Like 6

This episode was like a great blow job and then she rakes your tip with her teeth just as you blow.

NK went out like a bitch.

We thought Cersei was the distraction and the NK was the real deal. Turns out NK was just a chump. He took out a dragon, a wall, a eunuch, a little girl, an old man, some acquaintances, and a crapload of extras. He looked tough but it was all lies. Dude went down like Snoke.

Winter was coming for 9 years and it was supposed to be the storm of the century but Westeros got some climate change and now it's over. 

A couple of thoughts...

What came of Arya's special weapon? I thought it was going to play a role in the slaying of the night king. I assume it was just the stick she was battling with, but when she drew it up for Gendry it looked like it had some detachable part to it.

As soon as Melisandre said blue eyes (in repeating her prophecy) you had to know Arya was gonna win.

Before Arya flies in they show one of the white walker generals hair blow... Was that to signify that she was flying by them? And did she literally fly? Because she caught some serious air.

And the big head scratcher was why could the night king raise the dead in the crypts? I thought he only could raise people that he or his zombies killed.
Quoting myself as I pasted this pretty soon after the show aired and still trying to figure out the answers...

2 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

This episode was like a great blow job and then she rakes your tip with her teeth just as you blow.

NK went out like a bitch.

We thought Cersei was the distraction and the NK was the real deal. Turns out NK was just a chump. He took out a dragon, a wall, a eunuch, a little girl, an old man, some acquaintances, and a crapload of extras. He looked tough but it was all lies. Dude went down like Snoke.

Winter was coming for 9 years and it was supposed to be the storm of the century but Westeros got some climate change and now it's over. 

Hard hitting analysis

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Thought the episode was just ok. Certainly not Helms Deep despite some of the pre-show buildup.

- Overall I think this battle was not as good at Blackwater or Hardhomme.

I thought it was good but agree that it was a step below Blackwater and particularly Hard Home.  There were some very solid moments and visuals but the actual battle scenes lacked something.  I agree with someone up thread who was disappointed there wasn't a significant fight scene between the walkers and the badass swordsmen of the living.  The walkers were completely wasted in their last appearance.  Arya killing the Night King was clearly a pivotal moment in the series but it didn't hit me like the Night King raising the dead at Hard Home or even Snow killing a White Walker at Hard Home or the fleet explosion at Blackwater.

We have seen the zombie battles a few times now and the absence of the death of an important member of the living took the shine off for me.

NK's death reminded me a bit too much of Snoke's demise.

• Like 1

Some of you are high.  Guess I don't get the blackwater love.  It was fought with wildfire magic stuff, Joffrey was a bitch, Hound quit (Im glad he did), and fuckin Tywin Lannister saved the day but we don't see it.  That was the first battle we saw in GOT, but no way better than last night. 

We have already seen the NK raise dead, that's why none were amazed like hardhomme.  And we already saw Jon kill a WW with one swipe.

Yea I wish someone would have gone toe to toe with NK, but Arya using her skills was fine with me.

The Long Night and Battle of the Bastards are the shit.

Edited by utxmike05

I thought it was a great episode. I thought the military tactics were bad and some of the inside scenes seemed out of context. But the general storytelling and pacing was excellent. The scene where the Dothraki charge off into the darkness is one of the best scenes in TV history. It was chilling and horrific. The final scene with Arya was amazing and surprising. I hate Bran. I am a little lost without the NK out there lurking. Winter came and went. It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now its time for Cersei. No way she can beat an army of 4  people and 2 dragons. I dont care how many XL crossbows she has. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

I thought it was a great episode. I thought the military tactics were bad and some of the inside scenes seemed out of context. But the general storytelling and pacing was excellent. The scene where the Dothraki charge off into the darkness is one of the best scenes in TV history. It was chilling and horrific. The final scene with Arya was amazing and surprising. I hate Bran. I am a little lost without the NK out there lurking. Winter came and went. It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now its time for Cersei. No way she can beat an army of 4  people and 2 dragons. I dont care how many XL crossbows she has. 

This.  We were like "Wow.  Are they gone?"

40 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

ive said my piece and i'm moving on now. no more back and forth on this. 

Noun[edit]

bikeshedding (uncountable)

1. Futile investment of time and energy in discussion of marginal technical issues.

You want to quibble about shit most people find insignificant, in this and just about every other thread.  Hey, that's your prerogative.  Just as its other's prerogative to view you as a gaping asshole because of it.  Project your opinion on the intardnet, you should expect feedback.
  • Like 1

Y’all are nuts for predicting the end of winter. The seasons came and went for like 1000 years without dragons or magic. The Night King’s death won’t mean summer again. I think the maesters in the citadel predicted this winter will be the longest in history. Snow will fall in the throne room and Daenerys will walk like in her vision. Then she’ll probably get blown up

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Seems like everyone fighting the Army of the dead and the night king have already served their purpose.  

The iron throne is worthless and only the most shallow and ruthless will win.  

Cersei will probably win.  

Ser Brisket's ledge is well stocked with mulled wine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

I guess we know it will be Arya that kills Cersei, since she's the one with green eyes. Frey, Night King and Cersei. 

That's been my guess all along. I don't recall all the details,  but I remember an episode a couple of years ago when there was a scene in Cersei's bedroom and the woman who was her assistant was talking about who can get in, and not get in, to Cersei's room. At the time i remember thinking that Arya was going to use her face to get in and kill Cersei.

2 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

I guess we know it will be Arya that kills Cersei, since she's the one with green eyes. Frey, Night King and Cersei. 

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

That's been my guess all along. I don't recall all the details,  but I remember an episode a couple of years ago when there was a scene in Cersei's bedroom and the woman who was her assistant was talking about who can get in, and not get in, to Cersei's room. At the time i remember thinking that Arya was going to use her face to get in and kill Cersei.

I doubt it.  I think taking out the Night King is the top of her story line.  She may get killed attempting to take out Cersei, but I don't think she will be the one to do it.  My money is on Jamie, with Tyrion being the other possibility. 

• Like 1

The final scene with Arya was amazing and surprising.

When she went off running after talking about killing blue eyes, and wasnt seen for 20 minutes with 10 minutes to go, what did you think was going to happen when NK was strutting up to Bran and all the other characters were about to get it?

I would have liked to see more dragon on dragon action, more whites against main characters, more main characters doing smart things, and less mindless zombies.

Bottom-line, this is solid “A” tv episode, but lots of parts had sloppy writing, editing and cinematography. Think CGI and fan service dictated too much.

14 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

When she went off running after talking about killing blue eyes, and wasnt seen for 20 minutes with 10 minutes to go, what did you think was going to happen when NK was strutting up to Bran and all the other characters were about to get it?

I would have liked to see more dragon on dragon action, more whites against main characters, more main characters doing smart things, and less mindless zombies.

Bottom-line, this is solid “A” tv episode, but lots of parts had sloppy writing, editing and cinematography. Think CGI and fan service dictated too much.

frankly, i wasn't thinking about Arya. i was thinking about how useless and pointless Bran was. and I wasnt that broken up by the prospect of the NK ending him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I doubt it.  I think taking out the Night King is the top of her story line.  She may get killed attempting to take out Cersei, but I don't think she will be the one to do it.  My money is on Jamie, with Tyrion being the other possibility. 

They are my second and third guesses. 

frankly, i wasn't thinking about Arya. i was thinking about how useless and pointless Bran was. and I wasnt that broken up by the prospect of the NK ending him.

I mean he has to contribute something at some point doesn’t he? They’ve been building this story for 6-7 seasons. Surely it goes somewhere.

Aryas ninja assassin story certainly did.
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread