Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

23 minutes ago, Nivek said:

does anyone know what type of dagger that was used on the NK?  Oh do the dragons survive?  Does Bran's wheel chair have a shitter hole?

It was the Cat's Paw that Littlefinger gave an assassin to kill Bran. It's made of Valerian steel and has a dragonbone hilt. Catelyn Stark took it to King's Landing to show Ned. Littlefinger said Tyrian stole it (framing Tyrian for the assination attempt).  Littlefinger then betrayed Ned, kept the dagger for himself and later on gave the dagger to Bran, who gave it to Arya. It's the same dagger she killed Littlefinger with.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Sansa’s trial of Littlefinger was badass tho?

Sansa first earned her stripes as a worthy character (imo) when she stood up of for Littlefinger after Liza's death through the moon door. I was so caught off guard by that moment, and had no clue that Sophie Turner had those kind of acting chops. I was really hyped at that point to see her character progress, and while I think we did see that she ultimately learned and progressed through her life experience, i was hoping we would have gotten to see more of the process of her making that change. 

I guess they thought that the Night King is known to just roll with fresh recruits...people he's raised from recently murdered villages and battle regiments.  Their biggest blunder wasn't just putting people down in the crypt where there were centuries dead piles of dust...it was that an undead ruler bent on destroying the record of mankind...would, other than getting Bran, look at the question of "who do you kill when trying to erase the history...and the future of man...?"  You take your losses battling men, but you make damn sure you wipe out the women in the crypt by whatever mean's necessary.  Shoulda seen that one coming.  Anyway, I just watched the episode very quickly so I dunno.  Seemed like a good one though.  

After the intro and theme music, the first scene of Season 1, Episode 1 is Jon training Bran in archery while Arya escapes her craft time to sneak out to the yard and hit the bullseye with a perfectly placed arrow.  

Nice long game foreshadowing. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Dumb question.

Even if the Night King won the war and killed The Three Eyed Raven, how would that have any impact on Essos? It seems the idea that a loss to the White Walkers being the death of man was culturally biased to Westeros.

Eh... can’t really answer w/o going into some book stuff and other materials but quick answer is that it’s all the same history cause all the essos cities are in some way descended from Valyria or after its doom. And since the targs and their dragons eventually conquered and are trying to now reconquer Westeros, then you take out targs and one could argue you take out the history of the entire world. Or something like that

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

Sansa fans should have something to consider.

She was in the crypt, holding a dragon glass blade and hiding with Tyrion. Meanwhile Daenarys was in a sword fight with wights and going head-to-head with the NK and his dragon. 

Sansa gives Daenarys side eye. Daenarys never held a sword before.

You mean that Sansa isn’t as a badass as the pre-battle made her out to be? I guess but not like she had a dragon to ride into battle. Also, loved Jorah defending her but let’s be real, dany with a blade against countless WW really should have ended up with her dead via accidentally killing herself or zombie food. Some kind of samurai badass she is not.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Anyone who could hold a sword or shoot a bow should have been on that wall.  

which is why Im calling out that bitch Varys.

get your fat bald ass up there you chicken shit. Even Jaime, who has a higher ranking and one hand, was up there

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

I predict the Mountain kills Arya as she tries to assassinate Cersei. Everybody know Cersei is on the top of her list. It's almost too predictable to have Arya kill Cersei, plus she has already done the most important assassination.

Leading the Hound to go ape shit and kill his brother in an epic fight, possibly dying as well. And Cersei ain't surviving. Someone will take her out.

Edited by sunset87

1 hour ago, RPM said:

It was the Cat's Paw that Littlefinger gave an assassin to kill Bran. It's made of Valerian steel and has a dragonbone hilt. Catelyn Stark took it to King's Landing to show Ned. Littlefinger said Tyrian stole it (framing Tyrian for the assination attempt).  Littlefinger then betrayed Ned, kept the dagger for himself and later on gave the dagger to Bran, who gave it to Arya. It's the same dagger she killed Littlefinger with.

That was a poor attempt at humor since the question has been asked and answered about 12 times.  

59 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

which is why Im calling out that bitch Varys.

get your fat bald ass up there you chicken shit. Even Jaime, who has a higher ranking and one hand, was up there

Varys was exactly where he should have been.  He is more dangerous to his fellow man as a soldier and as a zombie.  

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Good summary. One minor mistake is that Littlefinger lost the dagger to Tyrion on a wager on the jousting match between Jaime and the Flower knight. 

1 minute ago, Constant said:

One minor mistake is that Littlefinger lost the dagger to Tyrion on a wager on the jousting match between Jaime and the Flower knight. 

The Wiki I was using left that part out. There is no way I know that many characters and their backstory by memory. I have old man brain.

• Like 1

My takeaways:

1. Bran turns out to be a total dud. WTF with the ravens? Give him some fucking useful purpose in his worthless life. At the end, he looks at the NK and says, "I couldn't control what you see, but I could control what your guards see..." In flies Arya, end of NK. Something. I did like the way she gave the NK the one-two stab. First to the head, then to the heart.

2. I was wrong on Jorah. He died a good death. Only two main characters went down - he and Theon. The rest were just window dressing.

3. So the Night King has Dany and her dragon on the ropes. Suddenly he just disappears. How about Jon jumping on the Night Dragon and battling - then the NK fallls off. Jon gets to save Dany.  Plus you could have some cool hand to hand shit with his special spear (too Freudian?). Hanging on the dragon's horns and shit.

4. So Melissandra lights up the Dothraki swords. So fucking what. Regular steel nor fire will kill a walker. So in effect they just gave the Dothraki a big nothingburger and sent them off to be slaughtered. Woulda been cooler had she changed their blades into a glowing dragonglass that began to flame as they moved through the air. I liked the panoramic shots. They coulda showed us how they got slaughtered. Why didn't they come thundering out of the darkness with Blue eyes? That's when you go "Oh, shit. We're fucked."

5. Only one reason for putting Tyrion in the crypt. What a cop out. This however did allow him and Sansa to get closer. Makes me think now that he and she will end up king and queen. The dwarf gets the babe and the crown. Brains over braun, a common GRRM theme.

6. Why didn't we get to see what everyone saw that began the Dothraki attack? Coulda been cool.

7. Presumably all the generals are dead now. They never threw one spear.

8. The darkness of the scenes was an interesting choice and was pretty effective.

9. The plot is simplified now. Cersei takes control with her army and our ragtag band of heroes go guerilla. Some will be captured. One or two will die. Not feeling the love between Jon and Dany. Don't think they'll be raising any halfwits. I think Dany is toast. Jon gets the dragon in the divorce.

All in all, a great episode.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Fuck You 1

4. So Melissandra lights up the Dothraki swords. So fucking what. Regular steel nor fire will kill a walker. So in effect they just gave the Dothraki a big nothingburger and sent them off to be slaughtered. Woulda been cooler had she changed their blades into a glowing dragonglass that began to flame as they moved through the air.

The Dothraki weapons were made of dragon glass.

This episode lacks the true GRRM punch of killing someone important unexpectedly. A bit underwhelming in that regard, no where near as good as the wedding or other battle episodes, but technically it was amazing. Jorah is the only guy i will miss, but he's not that important to the story.

What was the point of the skeletons in the crypts waking up if nobody important even gets in a scuffle with them? That was disappointing. Was hoping the translator and Gilly would be eaten.

How many people are even left alive in Winterfell? 30? It felt like the end of The Last Jedi where only the big name characters survive, but they are supposed to go fight an impossible battle next episode without an army. It's a weird way to leave it, but maybe there are more people alive than they showed. The amount of dead bodies left rotting around the castle will make it uninhabitable for decades. Whoever ends up as Warden of the North is gonna need a army of Janitors of the North.

Bran is perhaps the most frustrating part of the entire series. We’re led to believe his role as the 3ER is critically important, yet that’s never explained or reinforced in any way, so he just seems pointless. He spent the entire episode warged into a raven for what purpose?

As a viewer, I don’t understand why anyone needs there to be a 3ER in the first place. So he can crawl into a tree and remember shit and never share it with anyone? How does that help the world? Seems like the Citadel is pretty good at recording history and the world would go on just fine without a 3ER.

I wonder if GRRM had a better plan for Bran’s character or if we’re simply running into a LOST situation in which shit was slung against the wall for the sake of being weird and mysterious, only to have it fizzle out in the end.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Tyrion and Sansa end up king and queen of the 7 kingdoms when it’s all over. With Jaime as head of the kingsguard the hand of the king and ser brienne of tarth as the head of the kingsguard (maybe queensguard?).  Everyone else better die though. 

Good point on Citadel and good point on why was Bran spending so much time worging into a Raven.

Here's the thing...GRRM is a closet Ornithologist.  And we all suffer because...

Just finished watching the show again. Maybe it has been mentioned, I noticed Bran lowers his vision for split second and takes a look behind the Night King. Then the music livens up when he looks up again. My guess is he sees Arya an knows what is coming. Nice detail by the director.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:59 PM, Goo Punch said:

The defense strategy of Winterfell was retarded (they seemed unprepared, and also had probably 80% of their most important fighters on the front line), much of what happened throughout the episode was telegraphed, and if the NK doesn't take a fucking eternity walking up to Bran all ceremoniously then he wins. End of story. It's a movie trope as old as time- bad guy could have won if he simply didn't inexplicably take his sweet time once victory was within his literal grasp. Also, he's surrounded by a literal army and yet Arya is able to come flying out of nowhere to kill him, totally unabated. It was also poorly lit and featured a bunch of fighting where you really couldn't make out what was happening. Also i could not make any sense of the two dragons, what, i guess, getting lost or something in the beginning? they couldn't turn around or fly higher? I mean I could keep going but everyone here would just lose their shit, insult me, cuss me out, neg bomb me, and then complain about how my combative personality ruins threads.

i watched it with a friend. both of us were nonplussed by most of it due to so many plot holes and the immensely stupid tactics employed by the living. lyanna mormont was awesome, arya killing the NK was a pretty cool scene even if it was 1000000% telegraphed, and i'm excited that we can now return our focus to Kong's Landing. Other than that? Meh. This would rank last out of all of the big battle episodes for me. Too cheesy/predictable/derivative/hollywoodish to compare to previous battles. 

You have a room temperature IQ, but you think you’re a genius. Fuck off.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 2

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

The fuck? First off, that sentence on its face is too dumb to give a serious response, and second, the history channel is too busy talking about aliens and showing reality TV to cover any actual history. 

And finally, and i'm gonna *try* to only say this once, but we'll see how this goes:

Shaggy, for years: OTHER PEOPLE ARE ALLOWED TO HAVE THEIR OWN OPINIONS DERKA, jesus, can we permaban this fuck already, gah?!?!?!

Also Shaggy, for years: ANYONE WHO DIDNT LIKE THE SAME TV EPISODE AS ME IS WRONG, AND NEEDS TO FUCK OFF AND DIE.

This happens with every major TV show in the internet age. The fanboys refuse to even allow for the idea that the show isn't still at its 100% absolute peak level of greatness, and they butthurtedly attack anyone who says otherwise en masse. This site (or at least it's predecessor) was literally founded so that people could be free to give their actual opinions, regardless of popularity or PC-ness, but a huge portion of the denizens here only like that ideology when it aligns with exactly what they think and feel. Making it to where differing opinions are not allowed is the definition of "Derka'ing" a thread.

Hey retard, fuck you. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 4

22 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

uh, i'm not even close to the only person in this thread who wasn't blown away by last night's episode, nor is there a lack of GoT fans here/everywhere who feel the show has fallen off since seasons 3-4. i'm just the one being singled out for not being blown away. 

ive said my piece and i'm moving on now. no more back and forth on this. 

No one cares what you think faggot.

Edited by immamac
Earned him a weeklong vacation
  • Fuck You 7

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread