Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

5 hours ago, McCroskey said:

I wondered about that too, and then remembered that wildfire was created by the Targaryen’s. Considering two will be present at this battle, along with Tyrion, who successfully used it in Blackwater Bay, I think it’s a safe bet we will see it used to wipe out a shitload of white walkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right -- the burned throne room doesn't have to be dragon fire.

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m still trying to figure out why Cersei was crowned instead of Jaime after tommen took his leap. They’re twins, he’s the male.  Unless it’s just understood that she got her maester to do it even though it wasn’t technically correct. 

Because Tywin Lannister wasn't a king, but rather a lord.  Jaime, being merely a son to Tywin alone, had no claim to the throne at all.

Cersei was married (queen) to King Robert I, the first of his name.  Therefore, at the time of Robert's death the crown would pass to his eldest, legally recognized natural son (Joffrey), then Tommen, and in the absence of any other (known) living heir could be reclaimed by his queen, Cersei, whom he was legally married at the time of Robert I's death.

Stannis's claim was simply that he "knew" Robert's claimed offspring (not any of his bastards) weren't legitimate claims to the throne and therefore, as the next eldest brother, he was in line for the Iron Throne.  Renly was the 3rd oldest brother, and so on.

2 hours ago, Longhornlax said:

The Hound has to survive for Cleganebowl. I also see him having to either fight using fire or around fire to survive the battle. Also whoever ends up on the Iron Throne will be someone who doesn’t want to be King/Queen.

He doesn't have to survive, he could become a zombie, and then we would have zombie Mountain vs zombie Hound. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m still trying to figure out why Cersei was crowned instead of Jaime after tommen took his leap. They’re twins, he’s the male.  Unless it’s just understood that she got her maester to do it even though it wasn’t technically correct. 

The Lannister’s aren’t the royal family. The Baratheon’s are.

49 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

Because Tywin Lannister wasn't a king, but rather a lord.  Jaime, being merely a son to Tywin alone, had no claim to the throne at all.

Cersei was married (queen) to King Robert I, the first of his name.  Therefore, at the time of Robert's death the crown would pass to his eldest, legally recognized natural son (Joffrey), then Tommen, and in the absence of any other (known) living heir could be reclaimed by his queen, Cersei, whom he was legally married at the time of Robert I's death.

Stannis's claim was simply that he "knew" Robert's claimed offspring (not any of his bastards) weren't legitimate claims to the throne and therefore, as the next eldest brother, he was in line for the Iron Throne.  Renly was the 3rd oldest brother, and so on.

The line of succession doesn't matter. Cersei had no claim, since spouses are considered only on the basis of their own claims, and women always come after men in the order. 

Likewise, Aegon the Conqueror had no claim. Robert had no claim. Renly had no claim. Jaime has no claim. Daenarys has no real claim either. And none of that matters because only power and the ability to win the throne count.

53 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The Lannister’s aren’t the royal family. The Baratheon’s are.

But circei is only a Baratheon by marriage.  I guess every other blood Baratheon is dead by then?  I figured it went from one house to the other after tommen died. Tough to remember that tommen was considered a Baratheon, too. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

But circei is only a Baratheon by marriage.  I guess every other blood Baratheon is dead by then?  I figured it went from one house to the other after tommen died. Tough to remember that tommen was considered a Baratheon, too. 

I think she only gets the claim because she is Queen regent at the time of all the other heirs death. If Tommen had already been married I would think she no longer matters

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Every other known Baratheon is dead. That's why they set out to kill all of Bobby B's bastards early after his death. Gendry says "hi."

Man, I gotta say I'm impressed by your dedication and am jealous of the free time you've had to plow through the whole series in a week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elguapo said:

I believe it was confirmed that other WW are able to raise the dead. In the season 7 episode where they kidnap the wight, Jon kills a WW and most of the wights they are fighting immediately die.

Its a fucking multi-level marketing scheme.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Longhornlax said:

The Hound has to survive for Cleganebowl. I also see him having to either fight using fire or around fire to survive the battle. Also whoever ends up on the Iron Throne will be someone who doesn’t want to be King/Queen.

GRRM cares not for your desires for justice. Or have you been watching something else?

Why didn’t Dani try to burn the night king when she went up there to rescue them from the frozen lake?

if the 3 eyed raven knows everything, why can’t he go back to when the children and the first men fought and won from the dragonstone cave drawings and see how they won or otherwise survived the winter?

the ironborn think they may be safe on islands because the dead can’t swim, but the dead seem to march and pull chains just fine and the walkers seem capable of using ships, plus the ice dragon can fly. 

Why is only Westeros at risk and not places like braavos and the slavers bay cities?  Nobody seemed to ask them for help and the golden company was sold to the lannisters seemingly without thought of being used to support the north. 

The iron bank must realize that the dead rarely have banking needs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The iron bank must realize that the dead rarely have banking needs. 

A lot of White Walkers come into our bank and need to exchange 1 gold dragon for 210 silver stags or 1 gold dragon for 105 silver stags and 5,880 copper pennies.  We can handle unusual requests like that...usually the same business day.  A lot people ask how the Iron Bank makes money servicing the infinite undead.  One word..."Volume."  

4 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Also I think Jaime was kingsguard and they by design, like the nights watch, are considered “outside” of the family succession lines. Tywin mentioned as much when he talked to Tyrion and wanted Jaime to renounce Kingsguard I think...

58 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Also I think Jaime was kingsguard and they by design, like the nights watch, are considered “outside” of the family succession lines. Tywin mentioned as much when he talked to Tyrion and wanted Jaime to renounce Kingsguard I think...

yeah wasn’t tywin pissed that jaime gave up his right to provide an heir?

Look you twits, line of succession doesn't matter.
Here's what the rightful line of succession would look like if rights were preeminent in Westeros after the death of Aerys:

Targaryen line:  [Aerys] --- [Rhaegar] --- [Aegon] (killed by Gregor Clegane) --- Jon (Aegon) --- [Rhaenys] (killed by Gregor Clegane) --- [Viserys] --- Daenerys

But instead Robert killed Rhaegar, Jaime killed Aerys, and Gregor killed the children, Jon was hidden, and Viserys and Daenerys were secreted away to Pentos.
So here's what the line of succession would have looked like after Robert:

[Robert Baratheon] --- [Joffery] --- [Tommen] --- [Myrcella] --- legitimized bastard of Robert --- [Stannis Baratheon] --- [Shireen] --- [Renly]

Obviously, no one followed this and in any event, all the heirs are dead and none of the bastards were legitimized - yet.
So with the Baratheon line of succession dead and the Targaryen line of succession on the outside looking in it comes down to power and Cersei has it.
It has nothing to do with her being queen or being married to Robert or the mother of Joffery and Tommen. She has the biggest army and there's no one to tell her no.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, futureman said:

yeah wasn’t tywin pissed that jaime gave up his right to provide an heir?

Kingsguard aren’t outside the line per se that I recall, but they don’t take wives or have kids. At least kids they can admit to. 

Seems like paternal testing would have wreaked havoc on royal bloodlines. 

I don’t see how Dany as we know her can exist without sitting on the iron throne.  She said as much to Sansa last episode and the show keeps having central characters question whether she is “different”.  I think her love Jon dies, Dany dies or Dany goes mad/night queen.  Hers will not be a happy ending.

Speculation on her turning mad queen http://time.com/5575244/game-of-thrones-daenerys-mad-queen/

Speculation on her turning night queen https://nerdist.com/article/game-of-thrones-will-daenerys-targaryen-become-the-night-queen/

22 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Does that mean that Gendry would have more of a claim than Jon?

If there was an established form of government maintaining order that could decide these things, maybe so, once he was legitimized. But there's not. Some recognized authority would have to make him legitimate for it to be a consideration.

18 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Targaryens had the claim before the Baratheons.  Gendry would have to be naturalized by royal decree to have a claim at all.

Right, and none of the claims really matter. GRRM is pretty clear on this. Claims are shit. Only power and the ability to take and hold the throne matter.
During the 300 years of Targaryen rule there were times when the succession wasn't clear, but there was always a power structure of sorts trying to find the most legitimate ruler and offer them the crown. But those days are over and Westeros is in chaos so it's everyone for themselves.

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

I'm coming to kind of like the Night King.  Just quietly does his business, not a lot of "look at me" fanfare, no bitching about the cold, nothing to eat, etc.  Plus his skeleton horse is badass.  

A real blue collar, lunch pail type. 

2 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I'm coming to kind of like the Night King.  Just quietly does his business, not a lot of "look at me" fanfare, no bitching about the cold, nothing to eat, etc.  Plus his skeleton horse is badass.  

you don't see them fucking each other over for a percentage

Edited by tokamak
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

If there was an established form of government maintaining order that could decide these things, maybe so, once he was legitimized. But there's not. Some recognized authority would have to make him legitimate for it to be a consideration.

Right, and none of the claims really matter. GRRM is pretty clear on this. Claims are shit. Only power and the ability to take and hold the throne matter.
During the 300 years of Targaryen rule there were times when the succession wasn't clear, but there was always a power structure of sorts trying to find the most legitimate ruler and offer them the crown. But those days are over and Westeros is in chaos so it's everyone for themselves.

Exactly.  You know why Cersei is the queen?

• Like 1

Chaos is a ladder
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Kingsguard aren’t outside the line per se that I recall, but they don’t take wives or have kids. At least kids they can admit to. 

No. Kingsguard surrender their birthright. 

10 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

LabCorp of Dragonstone is working to streamline that complicated procedure involving fire, leeches and coitus with a very hot witch.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread