Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

5 hours ago, bolverk said:

You did see that final image of dozens of White Walkers on horseback - each holding a javelin, correct?

so dragons can't dodge a (wrench?)

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Death always wins 

Well if that's the case people are really going to be fucking pissed in this thread if the last episode is just the night king and the army of the dead walking around not saying a damn thing after winning the war and killing all of the living. 

Some of my favorite surly hot takes:

1. Why don't they use the dragons against the Night King? The dragons are obviously highly effective and the Night King doesn't have an answer for them.

2. Jon can't be burned and that will be important. Or can he? Or was he?

3. Bran is secretly the Night King. No wait, it's Sam. No wait, maybe Benjen. Or perhaps Dany will simply take over for the Night King. wtf people? Can't the Night King just be the Night King?

4. Littlefinger faked his own death. This is seriously a theory floated around.

I'm just waiting for someone to suggest that Hot Pie was a Targaryen and somehow the true heir to the throne.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

1. Why don't they use the dragons against the Night King? The dragons are obviously highly effective and the Night King doesn't have an answer for them.

3. Bran is secretly the Night King. No wait, it's Sam. No wait, maybe Benjen. Or perhaps Dany will simply take over for the Night King. wtf people? Can't the Night King just be the Night King?

I'm just waiting for someone to suggest that Hot Pie was a Targaryen and somehow the true heir to the throne.

How about a new one? The trailers for ep 3 are a head fake.   The episode actually takes place in Dorne where we spend 45 minutes listening to Prince Doran and Illyrio Mopatis discuss their scheme to send a raven to King’s Landing to tell Captain Strickland to execute order 66.  Illyrio reveals that he has found yet another wandering Targaryen to take the Iron Throne.  He has arranged a pact with the Night King to marry this new Targaryen to zombie Myrcella and install a puppet government for the dead in King’s Landing.  

Book it.  

Used to be catapults. Last night, we clearly saw a trebuchet.

Personally, I liked the Omaha Beach-style landing obstacles, tipped with dragon glass. That oughta get 'em!f4f9f80219cd8e02e1a1ba4276c641d8.jpg

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I think the NK taking the Dead Dragon to Kings Landing makes the most sense. The Good Guys aren’t going to barely beat the Dead Army and then limp down to Kings Landing and face off against Euron and 20K Gold Company in 3 episodes. The NK wiping out Euron and the Gold Cloaks makes sense timing wise. Cersei and the Mountain somehow survive the attack. Which leads to them facing the Hound and whoever kills Cersei. 

What did the witch say about her death? She would die childless and by the hands of her little brother around her throat?

I also think the I saw in the preview say “the Dead are already here”, but I think it refers to the many buried underneath Winterfell. I think they raise the Dead under Winterfell and everyone inside kind of has to escape. 

As for who dies? Brienne kind of has her arch done and probably will die. Tormund might also die to help her. Jorah or Lyanna Mormont will die. Jorah might be able to finally return to Bear Island after what he does, alive or dead. 

I think Bran might take down the Dragon eventually, but who knows if it’s this episode. 

I could also see:

NK demolishes house in the North.  Tyrion, Dany, no dragons, and an army of a few thousand are all that are left.  They march to King's Landing. Cleganebowl.  Tyrion already purchased the Golden Company before they floated to Dragonstone as he was Master of Coin and knew the financial situation with the Bank and ironed out a deal with the Bank to fund the purchase of the Golden Company because he knew Cersei would try to purchase them eventually.  

I think Bran dies with the Night King.  Brienne dies saving Jamie IMHO.   Jorah - dead.  Agree with you re: the Crypt.

49 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Well if that's the case people are really going to be fucking pissed in this thread if the last episode is just the night king and the army of the dead walking around not saying a damn thing after winning the war and killing all of the living. 

Isn't that how several seasons have ended.  Huge mass of undead walking around.

• Like 1

Another plot point advancement from episode 2... Jaime brings yet another Valyrian steel sword to Winterfell.  

Count of Valyrian steel weapons now at Winterfell:

- Longclaw with Jon

- Dagger with Arya

- Oathkeeper with Brienne

- Heartsbane was with Sam, now with Jorah

- Widow’s Wail with Jaime

So all Valyrian steel introduced in the show is now at Winterfell   

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Like 1

I'll say this also - I feel confident HBO is using these first two episodes of dialogue as a way to help control costs so they can spend all the monies on these last few episodes.  I want to see:

Zombie Hodor

Zombie Dire Wolves

Zombie Giants

I want to see the Night King flip whomever died in the first few hours of the war.  Like Greyworm dies, Jorah, and Brienne - but they are too busy fighting that no one has time to burn all their bodies - so Night King does his thing and then Jamie/Tormund has to kill Zombie Brienne.  

So how does someone, who knows their death is imminent, avoid being zombified?  

Also, i never got a clear explanation as to who the long-haired Nelson zombies are.  They aren’t quite decaying full-blown zombies, but aren’t quite as IceMan as the Night King.  

21 minutes ago, Quasimofo said:

Used to be catapults. Last night, we clearly saw a trebuchet.

Personally, I liked the Omaha Beach-style landing obstacles, tipped with dragon glass. That oughta get 'em!f4f9f80219cd8e02e1a1ba4276c641d8.jpg

Maybe a light scratch with dragon glass is enough?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

you left out Dany’s imminent heel turn.  

Heel turn talk not going away.

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

So how does someone, who knows their death is imminent, avoid being zombified?  

Also, i never got a clear explanation as to who the long-haired Nelson zombies are.  They aren’t quite decaying full-blown zombies, but aren’t quite as IceMan as the Night King.  

I could be totally wrong, but in my head I have them being the sacrificed sons of Craster (possibly others throughout time as well) that the Night King personally changes. Serving him as a super warrior iced out dead guy lieutenant. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Did you miss the second to last episode of S7?  The white walkers all have javelins and wield them like AAA.  Well, at least the NK has an AAA arm.  I'm assuming his "generals" do too.  Between the NK riding his own dragon and the WW's javelins, Danny's dragons could be toast. 

9 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Another plot point advancement from episode 2... Jaime brings yet another Valyrian steel sword to Winterfell.  

Count of Valyrian steel weapons now at Winterfell:

- Longclaw with Jon

- Dagger with Arya

- Oathkeeper with Brienne

- Heartsbane was with Sam, now with Jorah

- Widow’s Wail with Jaime

So all Valyrian steel introduced in the show is now at Winterfell   

I don't know if it will ever show up again, but there is the one Ned got from Dayne at the Tower of Joy. He is pointedly shown leaning it at the foot of the bed. No clue where it ended up after that.

15 hours ago, Drew said:

This shit here.

So then I guess the dragons are just going to sit this one out then, or are we assuming they'll be locked in the cellar when the NK does attack....forced to defend a static target.

As there's definitely no other way to use them as an advanced element because one guy chucking ice spears who apparently can cover any entire advancing army spread out over many miles, which also assumes he's even there, and not with a secondary army group that broke off from the main. 

*Now, if only there was a way to get high up in the air and use this ability to keep tabs on ones advancing enemy...

7 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

you left out Dany’s imminent heel turn.  

Heel turn talk not going away.

Well, the writers are laying the heel turn on pretty fucking thick at this point.  It might not happen, but it's an awfully damn reasonable position given everything we know about her character, her character's lineage, and pretty much everything that's come out of her mouth this season.

I have a few questions about the crypt. It has been suggested that the dead in the crypt at Winterfell will be raised this next episode. Who does the raising? and how far away in proximity must the raiser be to raise the dead? Does the raiser have to touch them? Or once the raiser is in a 10 mile radius they can just raise all they dead around them?

Is the Night King the only person who can transform the dead? If so, must he be in close proximity to them? Or can one of his horse riding minions transform the dead?

4 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

I have a few questions about the crypt. It has been suggested that the dead in the crypt at Winterfell will be raised this next episode. Who does the raising? and how far away in proximity must the raiser be to raise the dead? Does the raiser have to touch them? Or once the raiser is in a 10 mile radius they can just raise all they dead around them?

Is the Night King the only person who can transform the dead? If so, must he be in close proximity to them? Or can one of his horse riding minions transform the dead?

The NK is coming for Bran, so he will be in/near the castle.  It may be something unintended, he comes in on his ice dragon and kills a few people, goes to raise them to help him fight to Bran, and all the dead in the crypt get hit with the easter juice as well.  

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

The NK is coming for Bran, so he will be in/near the castle.  It may be something unintended, he comes in on his ice dragon and kills a few people, goes to raise them to help him fight to Bran, and all the dead in the crypt get hit with the easter juice as well.  

So only the NK has easter juice power? If so, that kind of takes away the theory that the NK is making his way to King's Landing

Two things I have rolling around my head

First, the cut scene after Jon tells Dany. I think there was more conversation. I bet he agrees to keep it secret, Dany can have the throne if Dany let’s Sansa keep the north. She agrees begrudgingly until Sansa saves her ass in battle.

Second, Lannister’s Pay their debts. I bet the NK destroys the golden army and the iron fleet and Cersei can’t defend kings landing or raise funds to pay the bank. They co-op Arya to collect her head.

I also think we’ll see some of the green explosive goo again. Perhaps to take out the NK.

I definitely think we will be having an entire Stark family reunion this Sunday. HBO has been focusing on the crypts in all of it's teasing too much for us not to. 

Do we even know for sure where Ned or Cat Stark’s bodies/bones are? Can we just assume that after the red wedding they were sent to winterfell?

31 minutes ago, Ichabod said:

So only the NK has easter juice power? If so, that kind of takes away the theory that the NK is making his way to King's Landing

Thats a good question.  IIRC, a white walker turned a baby in one of the first episodes of GoT, right?  

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

IIRC, he said the children of the forest stopped him from turning using a spell and dragon glass.

The children of the forest (that we know about) all died in the Hold the Door episode, right? Would be a pretty convenient time for any remaining living ones to show up

1 hour ago, smuggs said:

All this talk about the crypt being a death trap for the women and children has me thinking that Jon has something cooked up for the white walkers. Like he's luring them down there to pull the old 23 Skiddoo.

Yeah, there was brief talk during the battle planning scene regarding Davos waving a flag and that being a signal to "light the trenches" or somesuch. Our heroes definitely have a plan cooked up. I get why everyone in Winterfell prefers that Jaime lay low, but I was surprised that he didn't speak up in that scene. If you think about it, he is by far the most experienced (human) battle commander left in Westeros.

51 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Do we even know for sure where Ned or Cat Stark’s bodies/bones are? Can we just assume that after the red wedding they were sent to winterfell?

I'm 99% sure that Ned's made their way back to Winterfell. I believe Tyrion returned them to Catelyn way back in an early season as a show of goodwill. No idea where Catelyn's (or Robb's) are. Winterfell's as good a guess as any.

41 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Thats a good question.  IIRC, a white walker turned a baby in one of the first episodes of GoT, right?  

Yes. Can't remember if that was the NK or just a random WW. We have only ever seen about a dozen or so WWs on the screen at one time, so it's not even clear how many of them there are.

34 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The children of the forest (that we know about) all died in the Hold the Door episode, right? Would be a pretty convenient time for any remaining living ones to show up

Yes. And yes.

Why would the Night King be heading to King's Landing?  It was clearly stated that he is after the Three Eyed Raven, who is at Winterfell.  He wants to kill the TER thus destroying the memory of mankind.  So why would he head to King's Landing before completing his mission?

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread