Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

Did bran know the night King was after him? If so, he let thousands die for him.  Was Bran really a good guy? Or just a manipulator like Tyrion and Sansa?  Interesting how they are looked at as the victims, but ended up as the master manipulator the last two seasons.  So nothing changed.  Looking from the outside, that makes the night King look like the Good guy.

My summary

“You freed your brother.”  “You murdered a city.”  “You must choose!   Now!”  “You will always be my queen, but damn, that shit was cold.”  “Ughhhhhhhh.”.

”Why do you think I’ve come all this way?” “I’ve been wondering that for awhile now.”  “Me, too.” “I thought there was a cripple quota or something”

“You will be my hand!”  “No, I couldn’t possibly..” “Fine, my second choice will be..”. “But if you insist!  Yes, I will be hand!”

”The north is going to SECede!  Fuck you and your dragon network!”

”Lord Bran, there is no clean water...” “warging” “our coffers our empty...” “Warging!”  “and poop has replaced the blood flowing through the streets!” “WARGING!”

“What’s west of Westeros?”  “Uh, prolly Easteros if you go far enough.” “TO EASTEROS THEN!”

”Tormund!” “Jon!  I heard you killed your old lady.” “Yep, bitch went fucking loco.  Mind if my dog and I crash on your sofa for awhile?”  “Sure, dude.”  “Got any beer?”

59 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

"Hey Daenerys, you just dropped your mixtape on an entire city, but not everyone is a fan.  Maybe we should turn on the ADT?"

"Nah, it's fine."

Jon Snow was the only person on the planet who was getting past the dragon.

• Like 1

My dad, 67, asked if I watched the show this morning

Me:yea but the finale sucked

Him without a care in the world about this show: why

Me in 4 sentences was able to sum up brans entire existence: well this boy climbed up a tower and saw a brother and sister having sex. Brother pushed boy off and he became paralyzed. Boy goes off to become smart and be able to read the future, see into the past. Boy becomes king after not doing anything else in 8 seasons.

A friend of mine said he had read spoilers last week that were spot on with last night. Except spoilers had said when Jon rides north of the wall there would be a camera shot of the Night King’s “sigil” spiral laid out fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

My dad, 67, asked if I watched the show this morning

Me:yea but the finale sucked

Him without a care in the world about this show: why

Me in 4 sentences was able to sum up brans entire existence: well this boy climbed up a tower and saw a brother and sister having sex. Brother pushed boy off and he became paralyzed. Boy goes off to become smart and be able to read the future, see into the past. Boy becomes king after not doing anything else in 8 seasons.

And he can warg.

"what's that good for?"

Apparently nothing....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

A friend of mine said he had read spoilers last week that were spot on with last night. Except spoilers had said when Jon rides north of the wall there would be a camera shot of the Night King’s “sigil” spiral laid out fresh.

I wondered about this as well.  

Spiral-1-3635.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&z

Perhaps Jon needed to kill Daenerys to save Westeros.  Perhaps Jon needed to know he was a Targaryan to get past Drogon to kill Daenerys.  Perhaps the only way Jon would find out he was a Targaryan was through Bran’s powers.  Perhaps Bran doesn’t get his powers unless Jaime pushes him out the window. Perhaps Jaime isn’t at Winterfell unless Jon Ayrrn is murdered by Littlefinger.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

I found it adequate when considering the Magic 8-Ball has been screaming "Signs point to Shitshow" all season (and really since the accelerated ending was decided upon.) 

We watch with subtitles on, and even the closed captioners phoned it in during Tyrion's "Jar Jar at the Galactic Senate" scene - 

Man 1: Aye. 

Man 2: Aye. 

Man 3: [dramatic pause] Aye. 

Fucking "Man 1-3"?!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

I'm just going to pretend that the series ended on a cliffhanger with Drogon flying away towards the horizon after melting the iron throne.

The remainder of the episode was the worst television relative to expectations I have personally experienced.  

You had high expectations for that episode after watching the first seven of this season?  

Yeah that was weird.

I think there's a way that they could have gotten to a point where the ending for these characters made sense, but they needed a full real season of 10 episodes to build up this particular narrative.

It's like they got George Lucas prequel-itis where they were more concerned with putting together these massive set piece battles that were pretty damn incredible, but they sacrificed story/narrative for it.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see all the emails, reports, tweets, from heads of HR telling workers not to call their wheelchair bound co-workers the Broken.

Just like the odds told me that somewhere out there is a black chick named Beth Page, I’m pretty sure there’s some dude in a wheelchair named Bran who’s life just got fucked up a little bit more.

Had two people at the watch party who had never seen an episode before...both (female) said they would never watch another episode and not sure why any of us would watch that boring show.  Sure the finale doesn't represent the entire series, but still....

16 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:

Can't wait to see all the emails, reports, tweets, from heads of HR telling workers not to call their wheelchair bound co-workers <name> the Broken.

Hahaahahahahaha, that is hilarious.

14 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

The least realistic element of the finale was that after Jaime played with her emotions, hit it and then quit it, Brienne wouldn't trash him in the Kingsguard log. There were clearly no women in that writer's room.

Between that and Sansa basically saying she needed to be raped to be the person she was, it was quite clear there were no women on the writing team.

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

Between that and Sansa basically saying she needed to be raped to be the person she was, it was quite clear there were no women on the writing team.

yeah, it's weird, because martin managed to create great female characters that the show simply could not handle. very glaring.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

The Wall was blown open at Eastwatch, not Castle Black. But yeah, no idea why the Night's Watch is still a thing. Gotta send bastards and criminals somewhere I guess.

Only thing I can think of is that, IIRC, the wall was against the wildlings/freefolk, not the Night King and his minions.  Granted some (all?  does Tormund represent all wildlings?) wildlings are now allies, but I guess for how long?

And, even if there aren't express enemies north of the wall, I suppose it makes some sense to have a presence at the northern "border."  /end Trump

Of course all of the foregoing assumes that any of this makes any sense.  Which seems to be a poor assumption.

The random council at the end that appointed Bran just made no sense.  For centuries the throne was won either through lineage or major blood, and then all of a sudden, this council, who had no authority that I could determine, just up and picks a king?  And everyone is supposed to accept it?  That, to me, was the biggest failing of the entire season.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The random council at the end that appointed Bran just made no sense.  For centuries the throne was won either through lineage or major blood, and then all of a sudden, this council, who had no authority that I could determine, just up and picks a king?  And everyone is supposed to accept it?  That, to me, was the biggest failing of the entire season.

I thought they were the leaders of the individual kingdoms but then why in the hell were Samwell and Davos there

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

I thought they were the leaders of the individual kingdoms but then why in the hell were Samwell and Davos there

That's what I mean.  Some of them were, but Arya, Sam, Davos, Brienne, what did they have to do with anything?

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

They're the leaders of the houses of the seven kingdoms and they're trying to figure out what's next. What was glaring to me is that when they panned around it was like holy shit all of these people except for Sansa, Arya and Yara are useless. Arya has no place in Westeros, that's what her arc has been about. Yara really wants to just fight, drink and munch clam. Sansa was the only left who was a reasonable choice to be ruler of the seven kingdoms. I thought it was jarring, but not for the reasons you did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

That's what I mean.  Some of them were, but Arya, Sam, Davos, Brienne, what did they have to do with anything?

I imagine they were there as advisors to the leaders of the seven kingdoms. Sam was represent the order of maesters who had provided council to the lords of the Seven Kingdoms in the past.

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

A great example of the shift from sociological (the kingdoms, the houses) to the individual.  And, of course, by this time, because of the narrative shift, we've lost all sight of the various kingdoms and houses.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I thought the finale was pretty disappointing, even though I expected it to somewhat go that way.

I expected Dany to die, but her death scene felt very hollow. No build up, no parting words from her, no immediate reactions of any characters except Jon... then Drogon carries her off and we get a small time jump. I say all of that as someone who was completely fine with Cersei's death scene. The scene with Dany felt too quick and too easy.

I expected the North to remain separate and Sansa to take control, and that's what happened.

I did not expect Bran to become king which is frustrating because his character was worthless and then suddenly he is voted king. He doesn't even consider himself Brandon Stark anymore. I suppose his Three Eyed Raven duties are no longer important?

I did not expect Jon to go back to the Night's Watch. Not sure why Bran couldn't simply pardon him and tell Grey Worm to piss off. They pardoned Tyrion without any trouble. Like many others, I'm not sure why the Night's Watch even exists at this point. Doesn't really matter than much because I'm sure Jon is happier up north with Ghost and Tormund than he would be anywhere near King's Landing.

I would've liked to see some small hint that a White Walker threat still exists, but that's the twisted side of me that likes Inception style endings.

Oh well, despite the recent shortcomings, I will miss the hell out of this show. Even bad Game of Thrones is still more fun than 98% of other stuff on TV.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I hear ya but there is a point to be made that nearly the entire seven kingdoms, including the great houses were wiped out, and the only people left standing were a bunch of second rate bastards, clowns, sellswords, and the Starks.   

One Lannister 

One Greyjoy

One Tully 

One Baratheon

One Arryn 

One Tarly 

One Payne

One Tarth

Three Starks

Zero Tyrells

Zero Freys

Zero Martells

Zero Boltons

Zero Cleganes

Zero Mormonts 

Zero Targaryans

Maybe it was time to throw out the old way of running things. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread