2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Even though I feel like I started this awful tangent with an offhand comment about the Cal President flying in to secure Gilbert, I'm tempted to start a masochist thread in the football board as an attempt to quarantine all this shit. The fucking Ewers thread on the football board devolved into a discussion of the Colorado 2001 CCG for fuck's sake. Let's get a grip. Things haven't been this good for Texas football since right before Colt got his shoulder mangled against Bama. Oh wait... fuck.... got damnit.... 

do you even know where you are? Surly masochism cannot be contained. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sadly, I knew what I was doing when I launched the prior post’s throwaway comment into orbit. And it’s morbidly entertaining to witness. The turning of the turrets toward our resident incel was a nice surprise though. 

Not sure it was a surprise. Any given conversation on surly has a decent chance to end in BOW shit talk. Like our own Godwin's law. 

Also not sure the turrets turned. He usually just walks in front of them and sits down.

• Haha 5

19 hours ago, Chips O'Toole said:

I thought Holgorsen didn't pass the field sobriety test initial vetting process. 

That was Mack. What was said at the time was that Muschamp, being tired of waiting as the official Head Coach in Waiting attempted a coup. He pointed out to the big cigar motherfuckers that the O was pretty much entirely responsible for the plunge, and essentially forced Mack to get rid of GDGD. Boom wanted to poach Holgorsen from OSU.

Mack put on his silver-tongue used car salesman persona and whined that Holgo the Barbarian was unsuitable for the finer culture of TEXAS, because he was divorced, lived in a Hotel, was known to drink to excess, was known to gamble, associated with female companions of unduly young ages... and, well, you prolly get the idea. Just... unsuitable. I supposed at the time that the cigars decided to humor Mack and let him pick his new OC. He picked Chryst. Chryst said "Fuck that shit" and demurred. 

I will agree with those of your who were at least somewhat pleased by the Harsin hire. It might have worked if Harsin had been able to ignore Applewhite's bringing of Mack's messages. Neither Applewhite nor Harsin had the personal strength to face down Mack.

You need to keep in mind that GDGD was always basically nothing more than an extension of Mack and always did exactly as he was told. If it worked, it was all to the credit of Mack; if it didn't work, GDGD accepted the blame. GDGD was never more than about .500 as a coach if he didn't have Mack telling him what to do. When Mack ran out of ideas, GDGD had no help to give. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There are a mountain of things to criticize from that imbecile's reign of error at Texas and the majority are legitimate and have absolutely nothing to do with skin color or any other hot button issue in our culture. The guy was just overwhelmed with the role and the whole period was a debacle from beginning to end. Board behavior during those 3 years was quite absurd and I don't think any Texas fan can look back on that period fondly.

Yep. Want to be very clear that I was saying I, mistakenly, played the race card defending him all the time in those years. Black guys can, in fact, be incompetent too!

11 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Mack put on his silver-tongue used car salesman persona and whined that Holgo the Barbarian was unsuitable for the finer culture of TEXAS, because he was divorced, lived in a Hotel, was known to drink to excess, was known to gamble, associated with female companions of unduly young ages... and, well, you prolly get the idea. Just... unsuitable. 

Mack wasn't wrong. That is exactly who Holgo is. He basically did the same shit at UofH.

32 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Mack wasn't wrong. That is exactly who Holgo is. He basically did the same shit at UofH.

Mack was wrong. All he wanted was a Yes-man to run the offense the way he wanted. Holgo, warts and all, was more than just competent at offense, and I believe that if he had been given the reins we would have seen a hugely different last three years years of Mack. Granted, Holgorsen has not been a success at the head coach position, but that's not the same thing, at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin (IT) implying, when questioned about LB coach candidates, that Sark is past candidates and that they are waiting for that coach’s bowl game before announcing. 

Speculate away. 

yeah, really helpful there.

Nahlin has a hit rate roughly in line with Ketch over the last 5 years

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Nahlin (IT) implying, when questioned about LB coach candidates, that Sark is past candidates and that they are waiting for that coach’s bowl game before announcing. 

Speculate away. 

I have heard on a couple of occasions the name of the Utah LB coach Colton Swan thrown out there most recently. The only other guy of serious note would be Jon Kay from Rice. I would venture it is one of those two guys.  

The Rice Bowl Game is on December 26. Utah is in the Rose Bowl playing on Jan 2. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I have heard on a couple of occasions the name of the Utah LB coach Colton Swan thrown out there most recently. The only other guy of serious note would be Jon Kay from Rice. I would venture it is one of those two guys.  

FWIW, Nahlin said it's not the Utah guy.

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Kay would make a ton of sense, we have been weaker in Houston recruiting the last few seasons and he would probably fix that. 

Rice made a bowl?

I'm just going to throw out random names cause screw it:

Mike Ekeler - Tennessee
Mike Stoops - Kentucky, Sark finally has the good will with his performance this year to bring his 1st choice back! jk
DJ Smith - Missouri
Ken Norton Jr - UCLA

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Rice made a bowl?

I'm just going to throw out random names cause screw it:

Mike Ekeler - Tennessee
Mike Stoops - Kentucky, Sark finally has the good will with his performance this year to bring his 1st choice back! jk
DJ Smith - Missouri
Ken Norton Jr - UCLA

They were pretty decent this year - made our somewhat janky win against them look a lot better

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Speculate away. 

Did Nahlin also mention he’s a fucking moron who has no clue who we’re going to hire but he threw something out there so he doesn’t get his pants pulled down again by Gerry? 

24 minutes ago, mantis toboggan said:

This makes sense. Just look at where the prior LB coach came from. 

You might want to take a quick look at Choate’s resume. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Ricky Butler fan fic: Peter Sirmon and son Jackson, repulsed by high state income tax and the political climate in Berkeley, head to Texas for a bigger stage and better fajitas. 

Boomers on Surly, excited by the hire, agree to a moratorium on wearing their “Don’t California my Texas” t-shirts. 

That kid's a meatball. 

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

The Rice Bowl Game is on December 26. Utah is in the Rose Bowl playing on Jan 2. 

k4x05.jpg

• Haha 1