Cloak Room Sucks

2 hours ago, po elvis said:

For those that have never been in the cloak room, this response is a perfect encapsulation of the place. I don't think AI could have done it better.

Edited to ask, and see if you’ll answer:

Was the Presidential election of 2020 stolen? 

Edited by Willfully Horn

On 12/27/2023 at 5:28 PM, babysdaddy said:

that's interesting.  Can we see some more stats regarding posting behavior?

How many unique posters in football board?  Recruiting?  

Of the 2000 unique in CR, who are the top 20 posters and how many posts do they have in the CR?

Bored so I did a little look at the most active threads/threads with the most posts. 

Of the top 4 threads, 10 posters out of 2000 unique in the CR account for 15.8% of the posts.  13,868 out of 87,741.  Only lefties in the top 10 but that could be because the righties keep getting crowdsourced or it is self selection bias because the most active threads are like catnip to Dems. Top 4 are 'gqp', 'story about pathetic man', '45 indicted', and 'how fox news works'.  

Yeah, advertisers clearly prefer Texags, where dozens of posts are calling for President Biden to be executed, because the border or his sons dong or something. This thread would be hilarious if it weren't such a sad representation of how pathetic half this country's voters have become.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Bored so I did a little look at the most active threads/threads with the most posts. 

Of the top 4 threads, 10 posters out of 2000 unique in the CR account for 15.8% of the posts.  13,868 out of 87,741.  Only lefties in the top 10 but that could be because the righties keep getting crowdsourced or it is self selection bias because the most active threads are like catnip to Dems. Top 4 are 'gqp', 'story about pathetic man', '45 indicted', and 'how fox news works'.  

Well, as a long time Republican, I like the GQP thread because it explores the confederacy of dunces that the GOP has become.  Trump is pathetic and is indicted, so I like those threads, too.  And the fox news thread really kind of defies reality, just like fox news.

I guess truth is catnip for semi-Dems too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

11 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Yeah but if I posted hot “lesbian” pics in the LGBTQ thread it would be #1 and it wouldn’t be just libitards on that thread. So there.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, as a long time Republican, I like the GQP thread because it explores the confederacy of dunces that the GOP has become.  Trump is pathetic and is indicted, so I like those threads, too.  And the fox news thread really kind of defies reality, just like fox news.

I guess truth is catnip for semi-Dems too.

The indicted thread should have a corollary in DT that is apolitical, it really is history in real time. His whole presidency was tbqh. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It's self-fulfilling prophecy.  Trump worshippers logged into the same website (or I guess the switch from Shaggy to Surly happened about a year into his lone term, IIRC).  And it took about another year for the tectonic shift to occur.  They were used to being validated on social media, other boards, news, cableTV, and personal networks.  But suddenly CR wasn't bouncing back the same positive waves, man.  So they quit posting there.  And then, yeah-80% of the content is left to hard-left.  And because they won't engage, mostly because there's not much truthful content, they quit visiting.  And when they do, it looks and reads as left/hard-left (which it does).  And now we're left with this CR remnant of a bipartisan era that offends most Trump supporters because they see it as a left-wing nuthouse.  But they won't attempt to correct it because they know deep down inside they can't just do drive-by hit pieces like an OAN chat room.  

I'm still not a Democrat, and never will be.  But it's mostly fact-based in there, sad to say.  And pretty damn funny to boot.  The same people whine over and over again about how unfair it is in there---change the fucking narrative or shut the fuck up.  It doesn't bounce back what you want to hear like most of the rest of your life.  We get it.  I avoid shit all the time because I don't want to deal it---family, health, work, religion, etc.  You don't like that there's people roaming free on other forums that you know fly in the face of your politics---totally understandable as a human being.  But it's not costing this site sponsors.  

Who knows which way it'll swing in 2025?  Maybe the polar opposite.  Alls I know is none of you were crying and bitching in 2017 when your guy was just kinda getting his feet wet and hadn't yet done any serious damage.  If he was the greatest President ever, or at least in your lifetimes---why couldn't he work more magic in four years.  How can such a brilliant, tremendous legacy of fantastic peace and prosperity in four years be so quickly undone in just a few months by a senile, idiot bent on breaking America as best he can?  Should't the Ultimate Man's Man be better than that?  Shouldn't his sterner stuff be bold enough to endure anything from Surly CR to Joe Biden to Mister Ronan Sinatra?  Or is it just slightly possible that Trump was an impotent leader and you're pussies?  

The problem is that you cannot post a criticism of the current president without endless rebuttals of “but Trump” or “you’re a Natzi fascist”. It’s pretty pointless to even engage. And it’s really mostly about Biden himself. I don’t necessarily think his administration is doing a bad job, but I’m really mostly checked out of politics these days. I’m too busy with work and family to really pay a whole lot of attention, which I think means the administration is doing ok. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Part of the problem is that there is a split among the people who cry about the Cloak Room. The biggest of which is between people who actually support Trumpism and what the republican party represents today as evidenced by everything that they try and accomplish and all of the things they talk about in their debates, and then the people whose home team is the conservatives but who haven't come to terms with abandoning their values. It's easy for the latter group (who tries very hard to not pay attention to what they support) to both sense that their is an imbalance (which is unfair!) and point to others as the cause for all of the complicated negative feelings that they have about politics. It is unfair that I am made to feel bad for being a conservative, I don't like the garbage that some republicans spew but these leftists are out of control and you just can't talk to them about politics without having all of these bad feelings, which is their fault and mean. Please make change happen for ??? feelings stop.

Those guys aren't going to go in and talk with left leaning or firmly anti-MAGA folks because they can't stand to examine their own feelings. That's a lot of this board.

This should be a damn sticky

43 minutes ago, Hate said:

The problem is that you cannot post a criticism of the current president without endless rebuttals of “but Trump” or “you’re a Natzi fascist”. It’s pretty pointless to even engage. And it’s really mostly about Biden himself. I don’t necessarily think his administration is doing a bad job, but I’m really mostly checked out of politics these days. I’m too busy with work and family to really pay a whole lot of attention, which I think means the administration is doing ok. 

👆

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

It is unfair that I am made to feel bad for being a conservative, I don't like the garbage that some republicans spew but these leftists are out of control and you just can't talk to them about politics without having all of these bad feelings, which is their fault and mean. Please make change happen for ??? feelings stop.

Those guys aren't going to go in and talk with left leaning or firmly anti-MAGA folks because they can't stand to examine their own feelings. That's a lot of this board.

Shot 

45 minutes ago, Hate said:

The problem is that you cannot post a criticism of the current president without endless rebuttals of “but Trump” or “you’re a Natzi fascist”. It’s pretty pointless to even engage. And it’s really mostly about Biden himself. I don’t necessarily think his administration is doing a bad job, but I’m really mostly checked out of politics these days. 

Chaser

Seriously: There is tons of valid criticism levied at Biden in the Dark Brandon thread. I know, I have levied it. You’re never going to escape the “but Trump/Obama/Bush/Clinton” discourse. Nature of the beast

• Hook 'Em 1

"I am sorry I was an open racist - I was drunk" is not a compelling argument.

I kinda understand your point, but that piece of shit should be banned forever, and it has nothing to do with the thread I linked. I'm not down with giving racists any cover.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, VRHorn said:

"I am sorry I was an open racist - I was drunk" is not a compelling argument.

I kinda understand your point, but that piece of shit should be banned forever, and it has nothing to do with the thread I linked. I'm not down with giving racists any cover.

Don't forget the transphobia. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Yeah, a valid discourse about the office is obviously going to elicit "But what about Bush/what Bout Obama/what about Trump?" from all sides.  There's only a handful of them and it's a natural comparison.  We really should have disparate threads about just Trump's time in office, with no Biden talk.  Biden's doing a good job given the shit hand he was dealt, most of us like him but aren't fanatical about him.  That's a different story though.  There is, will continue to be, and needs to occur for the near future threads about how Trump is a criminal, how he attempted to usurp our constitution, how he wants to overthrow our elections, and how he is a malignant piece of human shit.  That doesn't mean Biden is great.  It just means that Joe is currently President.  Joe and Don will likely face off again in November of next year.  And that there can be criticisms of Joe (there are plenty to go around) on CR and there can be criticisms of Don on there as well.  I think the servers can handle the parallel threads.  

I now believe, in the end, that it's simply a matter of feedback.  Most Trump supporters I know get to receive information that validates what they want to hear and read.  Human nature and all that.  The CR no longer offers that to them, or at least not to the tune of the rest of their message onboarding online/in real life.  So they resent it, mainly because they have to see CR posters on other forums posting non-political shit and it irks them.  It's like how you look at that relative at the holidays who you know is batshit crazy and will start their drunken ramblings any moment now, but you have to grin and bear it despite how uncomfortable it makes you.  

the people running this site do a great job of keeping the filters on/walls up.  And when they don't catch something, just fucking scroll past it and quit bitching like a junior high clique.  Goddamn.  You can't talk Texas Tough and then bitch like a girl when you're not able to just proclaim "Greatest President Evah!  Biden is ruining America, but is also senile and not really the President!" and expect the rest of us highly educated group to sit back and think, "Well that's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over him, that's what he is."  if you need validation to convince yourself that you were in fact not swindled by a confidence man, plenty of other websites out there to make you feel special a part of something bigger than yourself.  me personally?  I'd try religion or charity, but you do you.  But this incessant threads about how other threads are unfair to the unfairly threaded.  Christ almighty already, you wanna play stupid?  There's gonna be consequences.  Your seat the adult table got taken from you, we get it.  Shut the fuck up about it already.

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I get it: Sack's a massive piece of crap. Either he means all the shit that he has said, or he got off on saying truly heinous things for the reaction. Not sure which is worse. And changing his handle is pretty tacit acknowledgement that he built a well-earned reputation as a bigot that he wants to escape from. 

While I understand the sentiment that we shouldn't let people like that hide in plain sight, what does luring him back to the fray accomplish? He's not going to get banned if he's no longer engaging in actively spreading hate and targeting certain forum members.

I, for one, enjoy his lesser presence on the site.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

This such a bullshit take. There's plenty of valid criticisms on here, the key term being "valid."
He's old is a valid concern. He's senile and doesn't know where he is is bullshit. He's had a stutter his entire life and is sharp as one can expect from an 80 year old. 
The economy isn't working for everyone is a valid criticism. The chucklefucks on fox and the republican stage calling Biden's economy "a disaster" is complete bullshit. By every macroeconomic measure we have used for decades the economy is crushing, which by the way is the same metrics republicans pound their chests with whenever they're in office.
Hunter Biden probably did some shady shit, is a valid criticisms, and everything I've seen on here is that he should be punished if he committed crimes. Equating that the a "Biden Crime Family" is complete bullshit, Hunter has never held an official position in his dad's administration as VP and as Pres.
Biden is doing too much or too little in Ukraine and Israel is a valid topic for debate. "He's a joke internationally" is complete horseshit. He is one of the most respected presidents we've had internationally, he is respected and genuine in his interactions with world leaders. 
The right wing is off it's fucking rocker when it comes to facts and relevancy. While "whataboutism" is in general a logical fallacy, it has a lot of credibility on all of these topics. Trump is just as old and the words that come out of his mouth are ridiculous. The right sucked trumps dong when the economy was good and when Biden's metrics are even better they say it's a disaster. Hunter seems shady as shit but trump had his shady as fuck kids in positions of power where they got payments from shady governments. World leaders were literally laughing at us for electing a complete buffoon who knows literally nothing about how to do the job. It's not so much "whataboutism" as it is pointing out the absurd hypocrisy when the dumbest most corrupt president of the modern age is still leading the republican nomination by a landslide. He praises dictators and literally saluted a North Korean general and Kim Jong Dong. That's truly and utterly pathetic. Fuck off with this "you can't even criticize him" bullshit. Complete fucking nonsense. Make a valid argument or gtfo.

And this whole post proves my point. I didn’t even criticize Biden and all you did was “but Trump” your way through this entire post.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/29/2023 at 10:27 AM, Hate said:

It’s going to be awesome. We’ll get to choose between “shits his pants” and “shit for brains” yet again. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

This such a bullshit take. There's plenty of valid criticisms on here, the key term being "valid."

He's old is a valid concern. He's senile and doesn't know where he is is bullshit. He's had a stutter his entire life and is sharp as one can expect from an 80 year old. 

25 minutes ago, Hate said:

And this whole post proves my point. I didn’t even criticize Biden and all you did was “but Trump” your way through this entire post.

Mocking Biden as “shit for brains” could be construed as a criticism, right?

And you just proved @Celery Man point again. 

If you’re envisioning a place where you can wander in and make pants-shitting comments about Biden without eliciting comparison to the nation’s most diaper wearingest pants shittingest president since post-gunshot Reagan (also, the current front runner for the republican nomination), what you are imagining is called a safe space.

If you have some specific example of entering a conversation with thoughtful criticism of Biden and getting rebuffed with whataboutism, bring it up. I think mostly you’re probably thinking of jumping into threads and lazily parroting whatever right wing media takes you’ve passively ingested, and again you’re looking for a safe space or a right wing echo chamber if you feel that should be greeted with agreement and very serious nods and rep.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I spent the whole first half of this thread defending the cloak room when it was described as looney tunes, because that was a ridiculous description. 

However as an independent who hates Trump, dislikes conservatism, and often supports policies on both ends of the spectrum, Hate’s comment about the Cloak room people often refusing to admit that the administration or Democrats make mistakes is spot on.

Happens all the time, and the people there will defend a poor viewpoint to the extreme. It’s just the nature of politics these days. We have two groups who are too biased to think objectively a lot of times. And they don’t even realize they are tremendously biased because of their hatred for the other side.

But there’s no question Democrats are standing on much firmer ground in terms of having a competent party. The Republican party is an absolute joke right now. That’s why the Republican argument of “both sides” is bs. Republicans are definitely more of the problem right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think there’s a bit of complexity to that in the context of a two party system in a forum where you are never more than a few degrees away from talking about your choices in an election. If a conservative comes in and makes a comment about how Biden is bad because x reason, it’s natural that there will be comments that at least he isn’t the guy who is guiltier of x and is also a serial lying rapist who attempted to overthrow democracy. How are you not going to get that comment for almost all of the right wing criticisms of Biden?

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Hate’s comment about the Cloak room people often refusing to admit that the administration or Democrats make mistakes is spot on

Respectfully I disagree. I know myself, and probably @Brisketexan often point out how fucking terrible the Democrats are at most simple acts of government, or not shitting their pants when handed an easy layup. Maybe I’m wrong, or biased, but I’d love to see some evidence to the contrary.