2023-2024 Winter Weather

Trey3216

DFW has hit 90 degrees and above 8 times in Feb since records began to be tracked. We will be hitting that 2 times in the next 2 days blowing away the record highs. Fuck this shit. 

10-DAY WEATHER FORECAST

• Haha 1

Where is the super goddamn el Nino? Remember the wetter winter we were supposed to have. Last summer broke me. If we don't get a wet spring to keep the temperature down in June...turbo fucked. I never thought I'd leave this state.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

DFW has hit 90 degrees and above 8 times in Feb since records began to be tracked. We will be hitting that 2 times in the next 2 days blowing away the record highs. Fuck this shit. 

10-DAY WEATHER FORECAST

76b3b5eb-2cf7-4f11-b9bd-279e961a7c43_tex

• Haha 3

Felt like middle of May when I left for work this morning. Low 80's and muggy AF. 

I certainly enjoyed the glorious Spring-like weather we had last week and this past weekend, but it's way too early in the year for days like today. 

Edited by Storm the Field

39 minutes ago, Kavinsky said:

Since the annual blast furnace thread has yet to surface, I'll leave this here. There's one hell of a fire burning through the Panhandle right now

Saw some of the updates on that.  Is there any phrase in the English language more depressing than "shelter in Pampa?"

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I certainly enjoyed the glorious Spring-like weather we had last week and this past weekend, but it's way too early in the year for days like today. 

Texas...land of fire and flood (and freezing in recent years) with a dozen days of absolutely perfect weather sprinkled around. 😝 lol

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, mchookem said:

Texas...land of fire and flood (and freezing in recent years) with a dozen days of absolutely perfect weather sprinkled around. 😝 lol

Seriously this.  It's fucking old.  I don't wanna stay here much longer.  

My whole family is from the panhandle.  My grandfather worked the railroad in Canadian for several years and moved around to various other tiny towns in TX, OK, and NM.  I don't really ever want to go back to the panhandle, but them's my people on some level.

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That guy that wrote “The Worst Hard Times”, well, he needs a do over, even worser hard times.  Dust fire bowl with earthquakes, floods, hail and Hitler all at the same time.  Grab the saddle horn and pucker your anus.  

When I was little my brother and I had an older babysitter who had lived through the dust bowl and the stories she would tell were fascinating. She passed away at 101 in 2002 I think. Anyway I wonder what she would think of what is happening in the Panhandle right now. It’s heartbreaking 

49 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That guy that wrote “The Worst Hard Times”, well, he needs a do over, even worser hard times.  Dust fire bowl with earthquakes, floods, hail and Hitler all at the same time.  Grab the saddle horn and pucker your anus.  

Don't forget all the microplastic babies.

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

When I was little my brother and I had an older babysitter who had lived through the dust bowl and the stories she would tell were fascinating. She passed away at 101 in 2002 I think. Anyway I wonder what she would think of what is happening in the Panhandle right now. It’s heartbreaking 

Lol no shit.  “Well we survived the hailstorm and blizzard.  Tomorrow it’s going to be 107 and some wildfires will burn up the chicken coop.  Don’t get pregnant though, we’d have to wagon train to Utah to get an abortion.  And for god sakes, you girls don’t wear any trousers.  We got enough problems as is.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

My great grandmother died last weekend. She was 106. Spent the first 70 years of her life in Pampa. She is going to be buried there (if anything is left) in June. So, so glad she didn’t see this.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

My great grandmother died last weekend. She was 106. Spent the first 70 years of her life in Pampa. She is going to be buried there (if anything is left) in June. So, so glad she didn’t see this.

You mean your avatar?  Because that’s all I’m seeing.  Sorry meemaw!

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Seriously this.  It's fucking old.  I don't wanna stay here much longer.  

My whole family is from the panhandle.  My grandfather worked the railroad in Canadian for several years and moved around to various other tiny towns in TX, OK, and NM.  I don't really ever want to go back to the panhandle, but them's my people on some level.

The past few years, I've tracked the number of times we visit family around Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, and I'm realizing it should not be a factor in whether we stay or go, because even if we moved out east, the distances aren't that far apart, all things considered (especially for the relatives in North Texas/OK/AR) and we can fly to El Paso or Houston and see those relatives.  Yes, we have land and a family farm that we share with some cousins, but they take care of it and it's not going to leave the family.

The reasons why we are staying are just making no sense, especially since the kids are willing to move.

19 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You mean your avatar?  Because that’s all I’m seeing.  Sorry meemaw!

She’d beat the ever living fuck outta you for saying that. And me for having that avatar. Southern Baptist woman to her core. But damn could she cook.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

She’d beat the ever living fuck outta you for saying that. And me for having that avatar. Southern Baptist woman to her core. But damn could she cook.

I bet her biscuits and gravy were top notch.  I’d have washed up on the porch five times to get a glimpse of that.  

• Drool 1

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

So it’s the drought that sets you off…

In your mind, you’re not so much killing those men as returning them to an abundant source of water.  A kindness.  I bet the killings started in 2002.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think I may be out.  The kids are going to squawk, but they'll make new friends.  Or not, I don't care.  I just have no desire to spend another summer in this hellhole.   No one should develop seasonal affective disorder in the summertime, but it's becoming common in these parts.  Summer in Austin is not discernably different than winter in Chicago.  Hide inside and ride it out for six or seven months until the weather finally changes.  The difference is Chicago summers are fucking amazing while Austin winters are nothing but allergen hell, so you end up mostly trapped inside for ten months of the year here.  At least up north you've got a solid 3-4 month window of goodness.  Having to get up at five just to go for a jog without getting heat stroke is for the birds (and in our neighborhood it involves lots of copperhead and rattlenake dodging).   I don't understand why anyone lives here.

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I think I may be out.  The kids are going to squawk, but they'll make new friends.  Or not, I don't care.  I just have no desire to spend another summer in this hellhole.   No one should develop seasonal affective disorder in the summertime, but it's becoming common in these parts.  Summer in Austin is not discernably different than winter in Chicago.  Hide inside and ride it out for six or seven months until the weather finally changes.  The difference is Chicago summers are fucking amazing while Austin winters are nothing but allergen hell, so you end up mostly trapped inside for ten months of the year here.  At least up north you've got a solid 3-4 month window of goodness.  Having to get up at five just to go for a jog without getting heat stroke is for the birds (and in our neighborhood it involves lots of copperhead and rattlenake dodging).   I don't understand why anyone lives here.

My company has big office in Chicago. Most of the people not from the north who we hire to move to Chicago only stay a few years. They cannot handle hold cold and long the winters are. In that same vein, I know of two families from California who recently moved to Austin are looking to move back to California. They cannot handle another Texas summer.

In a few years, I'm moving to Colorado to 6-8K feet of elevation. The summers there are fucking amazing. And I'm a big snow boarder so winter just means a winter wonderland. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

My company has big office in Chicago. Most of the people not from the north who we hire to move to Chicago only stay a few years. They cannot handle hold cold and long the winters are. In that same vein, I know of two families from California who recently moved to Austin are looking to move back to California. They cannot handle another Texas summer.

In a few years, I'm moving to Colorado to 6-8K feet of elevation. The summers there are fucking amazing. And I'm a big snow boarder so winter just means a winter wonderland. 

Chicago winters can be brutal, for sure.  I lived through my share of them.  I'd still take them over Austin summers.  Colorado does seem to be the sweet spot in many regards, but their influx of transplants isn't that far off the pace set by Texas, so overcrowding is a concern.  Seeing how things shake out there over the next 0decade will be interesting.  I suspect they'll end up in a better spot than Texas, mostly due to the brain drain here.

4 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The summers are getting hotter out here too.

That's why I'm targeting 6-8K feet in elevation. I have a few mountain towns that I'm looking to moving to on my weather app. All last summer when it was over 100s here, I would remind myself of the light at the end of the tunnel and check the temps for those towns. 72-78 all summer long. Yeah, fuck Texas summers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

uh, yeah. i broke out my bike and have been grilling outside for almost a month now. nice fake out, Denver!

about 18 inches so far, with another 6-8 hours steady snowfall tonight. definitely the biggest snow since we've been here... and it snowed a lot last winter. impressive!

20240314_164724.thumb.jpg.fb37e54c02a49a40924e4f37374fe4fe.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1