Joe Biden 2024 thread - Dark Brandon Strikes Again

StassneyHorn

The Poll was STOLLEN! 

The Rankings were RIGGED!

LAST IS FIRST!  UP IS DOWN!  

honestly though, despite all my history and political science courses, i just never got the fascination with Woodrow Wilson.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The Poll was STOLLEN! 

honestly though, despite all my history and political science courses, i just never got the fascination with Woodrow Wilson.  

Historian bias for presidents who “win” wars?

51 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The Poll was STOLLEN! 

And he was an inveterate racist to boot.

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

And he was an inveterate racist to boot.

Inveterate Racist?  You're really not gonna like some of the other U.S. Presidents before/after him then.  

I was just at the LBJ School/Library  earlier today for the annual Barbara Jordan forum.  Like my feelings on Wilson, I'm still not a fan of LBJ.  But one thing I appreciate about his final years is he basically said "I am a flawed man.  These are my archives.  This is my legacy.  For better or worse, let people learn from my mistakes and my achievements."  The majority of our 46 Presidents were out and out racists.  Was it a product of their times?  Do some get a pass for at least trying to reach out to people of color or end slavery or engage the marginalized?  You students of history can sort that out yourselves.  But I will give LBJ credit for setting the standard of pouring every thing into his library for the world to see and hear and read, for better or worse.  In the end, he acknowledged his flaws like no other President before him.  I suspect Biden will do the same.  And the Waffle House library cafe at the Trump Presidential Library will be the site of the most violent bowel movement I will ever have as an adult.  They're gonna have to drop napalm on it to get the filth out.  

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Inveterate Racist?  You're really not gonna like some of the other U.S. Presidents before/after him then.  

I was just at the LBJ School/Library  earlier today for the annual Barbara Jordan forum.  Like my feelings on Wilson, I'm still not a fan of LBJ.  But one thing I appreciate about his final years is he basically said "I am a flawed man.  These are my archives.  This is my legacy.  For better or worse, let people learn from my mistakes and my achievements."  The majority of our 46 Presidents were out and out racists.  Was it a product of their times?  Do some get a pass for at least trying to reach out to people of color or end slavery or engage the marginalized?  You students of history can sort that out yourselves.  But I will give LBJ credit for setting the standard of pouring every thing into his library for the world to see and hear and read, for better or worse.  In the end, he acknowledged his flaws like no other President before him.  I suspect Biden will do the same.  And the Waffle House library cafe at the Trump Presidential Library will be the site of the most violent bowel movement I will ever have as an adult.  They're gonna have to drop napalm on it to get the filth out.  

Waffle House inside the Trump Presidential Library? I think you have that backwards. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I’ll take LBJ’s brand of racism over Wilson’s any day of the week:

Before the election of President Woodrow Wilson, Black Americans worked at all levels of the federal government. But when Wilson assumed office in 1913, he mandated that the federal workforce be segregated by race—leading to the reduction of Black civil service workers’ income, increasing the significant income gap between Black and white workers, and eroding some of the gains Black people had made following Reconstruction.

https://newsroom.haas.berkeley.edu/research/how-woodrow-wilsons-racist-segregation-order-eroded-the-black-civil-service/

• Like 1

Informant also told authorities of Russia’s plans to sabotage this year’s presidential election:

https://apnews.com/article/hunter-biden-fbi-informant-joe-biden-ef48c7543e7a45cd3b8b671d0e2f60e5

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A former FBI informant charged with making up a multimillion-dollar bribery scheme involving President Joe Biden, his son Hunter and a Ukrainian energy company had contacts with officials affiliated with Russian intelligence, prosecutors said in a court paper Tuesday. 

Prosecutors revealed the alleged contact as they urged a judge to keep Alexander Smirnov behind bars while he awaits trial. He’s charged with falsely reporting to the FBI in June 2020 that executives associated with the Ukrainian energy company Burisma paid Hunter and Joe Biden $5 million each in 2015 or 2016. The claim has been central to the Republican impeachment inquiry in Congress.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/11/2024 at 3:58 PM, YGIFS said:

I still try to read, on the regular, WaPo and Mother Jones and the Atlantic and similar pieces.  But I just am not as deep into the left-wing media as most of you.  So I am genuinely asking---I get that most administrations in the modern era of both parties don't run on, as a key point, "I'm the Chief Executive...so that means I delegate to smart, capable people."  Because maybe it's not inspiring or drives people the polls.  Same reason, I guess we don't run out to buy shit from Kohl's because their board elected a really great new COO or General Counsel.  But this is certainly one of the things I admire most about Biden is he's totally content to let smart, capable, ethical people run serious, serious shit.  To sane people with morals like some of us, that's a massive fucking positive.  Especially when you contrast it with the revolving door that was the Trump White House and everybody either quit, got fired, got arrested, or thrown under the bus by him.  

I get that it's a point of vulnerability for Biden to say, "Yeah, maybe I am getting up there in age but I have brilliant, energetic people all around me who are executing on making America better every single minute of every single day."  There's obviously a reason why that hasn't been messaged since the Truman administration.  I'm not saying make it the main campaign slogan, but it is such a missed opportunity IMO for the Biden campaign, mainly for reminding Democrats and Independents of his great team.  Yeah, it's not gonna play well to GOP voters, but guess what?  Spoiler alert, they already think he's too old and/or a fake President delegating to the Deep State.  What the fuck is there to lose in making this at least a bullet point feature of his campaign down the list?  Yeah, I see his surrogates out there touting achievements and that's all well and good.  But that's because we're political nerds who seek that shit out.  It's worth a fucking shot to lock up some "meh, he's better than Trump...but I just feel like sitting this cycle out." kinda folks.  I mean from House All-Stars, to most of the Cabinet, to the Joint Chiefs, to Diplomats, they're covering a lot of bases right now and if marketed correctly, it can be a real net positive to any incumbent be there 81 or 41.  /rant

I don’t really get why most people seem to accept that Pope Francis, while feeble in body, and up in age (will turn 88 this year) is capable of making significant changes within a stodgy, difficult organization of one billion people, while they constantly whine about our transformational 81 year old president.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Satchel said:

I don’t really get why most people seem to accept that Pope Francis, while feeble in body, and up in age (will turn 88 this year) is capable of making significant changes within a stodgy, difficult organization of one billion people, while they constantly whine about our transformational 81 year old president.

we're a country full of people ready to pounce on weakness. age is definitely seen as a weakness in this country and the reverence for aged wisdom is gone. the reason the age thing is sticking here is it's the only fact they have to run on. everything else is perception or just flat-out falsehoods. they have nothing else to attack. so here we are

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

we're a country full of people ready to pounce on weakness. age is definitely seen as a weakness in this country and the reverence for aged wisdom is gone. the reason the age thing is sticking here is it's the only fact they have to run on. everything else is perception or just flat-out falsehoods. they have nothing else to attack. so here we are

It's sticking because he looks, sounds, and acts like an old man, which he is.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

For me it’s not so much the age, it’s the unavoidable observable consequences of too many birthdays. People age differently, I know guys (and gals) in their early eighties that are still sharpe, articulate, and/or extremely skilled at hiding the steps they’ve lost over the years.  Biden isn’t one of these people and never has been.  This was among the big concerns about Biden in the 2020 primaries, there was no well laid out long term plan past the 2020 election, but the next alternative (Bernie), was even older and arguably more risky, so it became a moot point by Super Tuesday. 

Trump is a monster and should not be walking freely among us so the choice between Biden and Trump is easy for me but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to defend a system that repeatedly produces these objectively poor and antiquated leadership choices.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

I mean once you get past the fact that a little less then half the country prefers a treasonous scumbag for President, then you have to decide what the best option is to run against that treasonous scumbag.

That ship has sailed.  I think a number of other dems could have beaten Trump, but I'll never know, and those folks didn't have the balls to try to run anyway, so here we are.

Let's hope the state of the union goes well and Trump shits himself.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Biden needs a good SOTU.  Then he needs to stay away from cameras and microphones as much as possible until September, at which point he needs 70 days where he campaigns like hell without looking like he’s on death’s door.   If that happens without the economy tanking, he should win.  I don’t even think the US getting attacked would favor Trump.  Trump not wanting to debate is a blessing for Biden.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

For me it’s not so much the age, it’s the unavoidable observable consequences of too many birthdays. People age differently, I know guys (and gals) in their early eighties that are still sharpe, articulate, and/or extremely skilled at hiding the steps they’ve lost over the years. 

I read something last week to the effect that the age thing is really hitting home with those that have witnessed the rapid cognitive decline from their parents (in their 80's) up close.  And with that context, and as noted in a subsequent post, how is Biden (really either of them) going to hold up having to deal with constant campaign travel/public events this fall?  That shit would be exhausting for someone half their age and neither will be able to hide it.  It may be whichever has the fewest major gaffes and generally looks less likely to die in the next 4 years has an advantage for anyone remotely on the fence.  Neither is going to have a VP that moves the needle so no advantage there (I still think Biden should have somehow tried to pivot over a year ago to be in a position to announce a more popular VP although fully acknowledge easier said than done).  It's a mess.  At this point I think the D think tank needs to be working overtime on how to improve Kamala's approval rating.  I know she did an appearance on The View or one of those shows recently.  More of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

For me it’s not so much the age, it’s the unavoidable observable consequences of too many birthdays. People age differently, I know guys (and gals) in their early eighties that are still sharpe, articulate, and/or extremely skilled at hiding the steps they’ve lost over the years.  Biden isn’t one of these people and never has been.  This was among the big concerns about Biden in the 2020 primaries, there was no well laid out long term plan past the 2020 election, but the next alternative (Bernie), was even older and arguably more risky, so it became a moot point by Super Tuesday. 

Trump is a monster and should not be walking freely among us so the choice between Biden and Trump is easy for me but it’s becoming increasingly difficult to defend a system that repeatedly produces these objectively poor and antiquated leadership choices.  

Couple years ago, we had a birthday party for Bob Inman at LBJ school when he hit 90.  He spoke at length about Ukraine, Taiwan, and the Middle East.   Serious insight.  Everybody went out for cake.  I walked by the podium to collect his stuff.  There was nothing there.  No notes.  No phone.  He delivered a state department/NSA level one hour briefing from his head.  At 90.  I was 45 at the time and didn’t remember where the fuck my truck was parked.  Age is fungible and relative.  But chronology is cruel.

i was all in for Biden in 2020 And did way beyond my fair share for him to defeat the tumor.  But i really hope your party has a mid to long range plan that I’m understandably not privy to.  Because the cancer is Here to stay and it’s not going to take a day off for a long while.  

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Couple years ago, we had a birthday party for Bob Inman at LBJ school when he hit 90.  He spoke at length about Ukraine, Taiwan, and the Middle East.   Serious insight.  Everybody went out for cake.  I walked by the podium to collect his stuff.  There was nothing there.  No notes.  No phone.  He delivered a state department/NSA level one hour briefing from his head.  At 90.  I was 45 at the time and didn’t remember where the fuck my truck was parked.  Age is fungible and relative.  But chronology is cruel.

i was all in for Biden in 2020 And did way beyond my fair share for him to defeat the tumor.  But i really hope your party has a mid to long range plan that I’m understandably not privy to.  Because the cancer is Here to stay and it’s not going to take a day off for a long while.  

Lol. 

34 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

But i really hope your party has a mid to long range plan that I’m understandably not privy to.

Such as? There’s a very deep bench of potential candidates that are all in on team Biden while gearing up for 2028 and beyond 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/19/2024 at 7:05 PM, YGIFS said:

LBJ was a racist that personally passed the most consequential civil rights legislation for racial minorities in this country's modern history, surpassed only by Reconstruction Amendments (which he actually put teeth into). 

Woodrow Wilson was a racist that purged the Federal Government of black people and honestly would have reinstated slavery if he could.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Such as? 

I don’t know, I’m not on the steering committee.  I’m on the “how much heroin can I do without dying after Trump loses again” committee and honestly we’re really fucking busy right now.  Gotta re-learn the whole fucking metric system.  So go your thing.  

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I don’t know, I’m not on the steering committee.  I’m on the “how much heroin can I do without dying after Trump loses again” committee and honestly we’re really fucking busy right now.  Gotta re-learn the whole fucking metric system.  So go your thing.  

I just don’t know what you mean about having a plan. The plan is that Joe Biden wins in November. Either he finishes his term or he doesn’t and then Harris is president if he doesn’t finish the term. If he finishes the term, it’s an open race in 2028. If he doesn’t, Harris is the frontrunner due to being the sitting President. Going to be very difficult to primary the sitting first female President unless she has Bush 2008 approvals

If it’s an open race, the options are pretty good across the country. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Me too.  The team he’s surrounded himself is his best attribute.  But I understand why broadcasting that more could undercut him. Y’all will be fine 2032 and beyond.  Bad news is that’s 8 years away and we’ll probably be living underground.  

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Biden needs a good SOTU.  Then he needs to stay away from cameras and microphones as much as possible until September, at which point he needs 70 days where he campaigns like hell without looking like he’s on death’s door.   If that happens without the economy tanking, he should win.

I'm thinking there are some other big landmines.

8d872f1d-48cf-40d9-8604-961510eef2d1_tex

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Satchel said:

How Biden has led the country and the free world is all the more impressive when one considers he is governing during one of the most difficult times in recent history. He took over on the heels of a concluding pandemic

Gotta stop you here, you aren’t serious with this are you? Vaccinations only started December 2020

Positive news that could put a big crack in the remaining resistance to Medicaid expansion. Mississippi leaders look to take it head on over Tate Reeves verbal farts

https://mississippitoday.org/2024/02/21/legislative-leaders-medicaid-expansion-tate-reeves/

Kansas ignored the Governor again last month.

Alabama Governor Kay Ivey would feel a ton of pressure from this, I believe she is term limited.

Georgia is twiddling thumbs on a work requirement.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Gotta stop you here, you aren’t serious with this are you? Vaccinations only started December 2020

10 minutes ago, mchookem said:

yeah i feel like he took over in the depths of the pandemic, not anywhere near the conclusion 🤨

Clearly he was insinuating something similar. Don’t get caught up in semantics. The past four years have been a shit show no matter how you slice when the pandemic “ended”. 

6 hours ago, Satchel said:

Just heard that should GOP House goons persist in advancing a Biden impeachment, they could be charged criminally if they use known Russian Intel to interfere with the election.

God I hope so. Source?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

Just heard that should GOP House goons persist in advancing a Biden impeachment, they could be charged criminally if they use known Russian Intel to interfere with the election.

This will not happen.  Who is going to charge them? Merrick Garland’s DOJ? LOL

These house GOP goons have been propagating Kremlin narratives and talking points consequence free since the Obama administration.  However, it’s also the same stuff you hear on Alex Jones or Fox News which conveniently  gives the GOP goons and the Kremlin plausible deniability.  

• Rage+1 2

On 2/21/2024 at 10:36 AM, David Dennison said:

It's sticking because he looks, sounds, and acts like an old man, which he is.

yes, but as best as I can tell, that's ALL they have. best president in my lifetime hands down and I went from voting GWB to Obama. I wasn't born a libruhl but living under the GOP for my 45 years here has made me one.

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yes, but as best as I can tell, that's ALL they have. best president in my lifetime hands down and I went from voting GWB to Obama. I wasn't born a libruhl but living under the GOP for my 45 years here has made me one.

Bill Clinton was the best.

• Hook 'Em 1